Extremely offensive chat.

Doddger

31 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Yeah, I didn't mention males because I only have the one toon and it's female.

I don't really care, just thought it was funny people could complain about one thing but be so blind to another.

No one is blind to it. The topic has been discussed numerous times within and outside of the gaming community, and its been done with B&S as well since it was released four years ago. Needless to say, most people are jaded about it right now and it only matters to those who enjoy bickering indefinitely at this point

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Piper said:

I can't get over how some people excuse horrible, demeaning, vicious, attacks. Words mean things. They convey concepts and ideas. Yes they do. No one should be told that they're worthless and despised simply because of their race/gender/religion/etc. It's dehumanizing and it's repugnant. You're talking about people here. You're debasing other people's children and family. That type of behavior is despicable and it has no place here.

When there are people in chat debating whether it's more satisfying to molest three or five year olds they should be gone. PERIOD. When there are people in chat advocating every person of color be drowned they should be gone. PERIOD. Telling people to stick their fingers in their ears and go "la la la la" doesn't solve the problem. I can block them but someone else will be subjected to their idiocy. And after they block them someone else, and then someone else, ad infinitum.

Here's the thing, you can say whatever you like in YOUR house. You can advocate murdering minorities and abusing women and children and you can spout all the racial slurs you want. You won't be arrested, you won't be jailed, nothing will happen to you. It's your house. If you try that in my house you will be out the door. That's my rule. I certainly wouldn't tell my other guests to ignore it.

This is NCSOFT's house and THEY make the rules. They've spelled them out in the TOS.  It's their job, and more importantly their responsibility as business owners, to ensure their players aren't subjected to bigotry, pedophilia and cruel verbal attacks. This is the kind of environment they've laid out in their own rules of conduct and TOS. The OP is right. NCSOFT needs to do whatever it takes to get a handle on this.

Thank you piper.. You said what I was thinking.. To say that its my fault I'm offended because you(General you, not specific you) said "having sex with a black person is like Bestiality", or that "molesting a three year old is fun" is just straight up wrong..

The issue here in this thread is I think people are mixing people who get offended when someone swears or uses a lude name, and people like myself who have issues with thing like what you said and what I have said.. Swear all you want.. IDGAF But don't talk about Racism, Pedophilia and *cricket* like its some funny thing.. You are not a comedian, and you are not funny to anyone but a 12 year old...

P.S. To whom ever said this game was marketed and/or made for 12 years old.. Learn to read the ESRB rating this game is clearly M18+

P.S.S. A rating of M18+  relates to the DEVELOPER Designed Content.. not player created Content (Aka Faction/Regional Chat)

On 1/22/2016 at 7:42 AM, JayP said:

The game is 18+ with a block feature, why are we asking NCSoft to waste money paying GM's to work around the clock monitoring dozens of chat channels?  Faction Chat is global therefore it will be spammed until you block enough to get through the noise, that's just the way it is.  Grow up people and either block or leave the faction channel, this is a solution looking for a problem.  After you leave the first zone after 20 minutes in the game, the spam stops except for faction chat (which isn't useful ever anyway).  You act like this is the first game where you've seen this, I've played 8-10 MMO's and they're all like this all with the same solution (block, ignore, leave channel) that are all less calories burnt than complaining on the forum.

I can't express how tiresome it is that "Ignoring the problem" could be consider an answer. Ignorance enables toxic behavior, it doesn't fix it. If they aren't insulting you, they're insulting someone else, and thus they have to deal with that nonsense as well. It'd never end if they were free to roam.

It's extremely unfortunate but games with a ftp option tend to bring in the most crude ppl. Nothing against ftp players in general, in fact I happen to be ftp right now as I usually wait a few weeks after a game launches b4 I sub. After countless mmorpg's the only thing Ive seen that tends to weed out "most" of the ppl that like to be offensive just to be offensive, is a buy to play or full on sub-only game.   Also the other night on Hajoon there were two players in particular telling random ppl in chat they were gunna do horrific, violent extremely offensive things to their mothers.. Was the first time chat actually got to me and made me shut the game off since I had just gotten home a few hours b4 from taking my own mother to the E.R. for having a stroke.  Since then I switched servers to one of the new servers Junghado, everyone there seems extremely nice since I think most of them are just happy to be in the game and not stuck in a queue anymore lol

3 hours ago, Cheshirepuss said:

I can't express how tiresome it is that "Ignoring the problem" could be consider an answer. Ignorance enables toxic behavior, it doesn't fix it. If they aren't insulting you, they're insulting someone else, and thus they have to deal with that nonsense as well. It'd never end if they were free to roam.

I don't share your premise that it's a problem that can or should be solved.  The reason people troll is because of threads like this, just grow up and block/report them via ticket if you want just stop blowing it up into something that it isn't.  It's in EVERY game out there and isn't going away until everyone that can ignores it.

My thought process on this is probably the same as many others:

You wouldn't be offended if you turned off chat  entirely. delete EVERY SINGLE TAB except for the main one, and remove EVERY SINGLE chat type from said tab except for clan and whisper/party.

if a name offends you, block it. you'll never see it again.

Honestly the word "offend" these days holds very, very little value

47 minutes ago, KindleFire said:

if a name offends you, block it. you'll never see it again.

Honestly the word "offend" these days holds very, very little value

This is not true. Player characters and their offensive names continue to exist in the game even if you block them, so someone with an offensive name can never be fully blocked. Moreover, you also request that a person sequester himself in order to accommodate toxic players. No sensible publisher will demand that players who behave civilly receive a penalty on behalf of those who do not.

Toxic behavior spreads if left unchecked. NCSoft should not allow trolls and abrasive players to dictate the tone of ingame chat and general play.

6 minutes ago, Gamemako said:

This is not true. Player characters and their offensive names continue to exist in the game even if you block them, so someone with an offensive name can never be fully blocked. Moreover, you also request that a person sequester himself in order to accommodate toxic players. No sensible publisher will demand that players who behave civilly receive a penalty on behalf of those who do not.

Toxic behavior spreads if left unchecked. NCSoft should not allow trolls and abrasive players to dictate the tone of ingame chat and general play.

Please explain how can an "offensive" name be deemed 'toxic behaviour'?

Go ahead, I'll wait.

Archived