Extremely offensive chat.

Doddger

1 minute ago, Mew said:

Was this thread supposed to be serious? I couldn't tell. 

I think it started it out as serious, they just want a report button besides the spammer option. We all agree with that. then it slowly turned into a civil rights debate lol that part I'm not so sure some think it is, some don't.

3 minutes ago, Maryelle said:

So why do they allow that kind of stuff in the chat? Why is that space different? Do you care about the content of this space in the same way I care about the vile stuff I read in chat? I know it was hypocritical to bypass. Can you spot your own hypocrisy?

It's censored in-game by default but they give you the choice to disable it so it seems grey, I'm not an employee so I can't say why it is different (This forum is still being worked on, hence why we can't edit our profiles so maybe you can disable profanity here too, we won't know yet). I care, but in a realistic way. This company is a veteran, they know the influx of players will die within a month to a manageable amount. It would be a poor business choice to focus labor on banning players that  will die out soon. A general report button will come soon its evident in other versions, that will let them see who is truly being toxic so long as the other players make use of it. 

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man, people still making these kinda threads for mmorpgs that cater to weebs who would also likely be memers and children....

I think it's fun. If you're taking offense to anything anyone says online man you should probs stick to single player games or just play this one that way by hiding chat. Pretty boring experience though

1 minute ago, Kathars1s said:

My only real problem in dealing with all the children is that the block list is so small. I filled up the 50 spots in the first two days of early access. Had to disable it completely. Now it feels like a solo game with a 9 hour queue to play.
Ah well.

A block list of 200-300 that is account wide would be great.

On 22/01/2016 at 10:59 AM, Doddger said:

As the title says the chat is extremely offensive and it should be monitored.

Some of the character names are offensive.

Is there a way to report players for abusive language/names ?

The chat consists of racial slurs, suggestions to other people of suicide and abuse.

I have even seen couple of threats in the chat.

I play on EU server Starfall Crater.

Well, this is a game for mature people, not for childern, "grow people" sometimes use that languages.

Anyway on nicknames they shouldn't use them. but when talking many word are censoreded, and on that i really disagree.

Stop being oversensitive. If you can't handle an online game chat, then turn it off or stop playing the game.

Anyone allowing himself to be offended by stupid people is also stupid. Block them instead of making stupid threads.

I really hope this game doesn't get reshaped around the few overly sensitive picky people in the community who only complain. Its a rated M game... Clearly those of you complaining about simple naughty words don't understand what that means. 

Abusive players towards other people is not okay. But if you're trying to control someone saying the F word or something, then I don't know what to tell you. Stop trying to control the world you evil goober you. Stay in your room and play single player rated E games in your no cussing zone ^_^

19 minutes ago, Krosa said:

If you read my earlier post you'd notice that I said I wasn't about to read a backlog of 9 pages, so when presented with the context given I commented appropriately. Also, even if that was not the original intent of the thread, especially ones with such a touchy subject... The overall context and feel of the posters in said thread can drastically change in just a few pages. So yes, on page one, the idea might have been wanting to better police it, but by page five you've been derailed into people going on about something as police state-esque as publicly naming/emailing the names of banned users who were reported. Not even SquareEnix does that, they do a weekly/biweekly/monthly (I forget) announcement of how many accounts have been suspended/banned, but there are never names publicly or privately released.

Fair enough. Nobody in this thread has said anything like what Offended mentioned, though, so it's not like the argument has gone in that direction here.  Of course there are going to be people on both ends who will use the analogy of a police state. I mean, I've certainly heard enough people outright claiming that banning trolls from forums is tantamount to trampling freedom of speech into the ground. :D

3 minutes ago, Mew said:

I really hope this game doesn't get reshaped around the few overly sensitive picky people in the community who only complain. Its a rated M game... Clearly those of you complaining about simple naughty words don't understand what that means. 

Abusive players towards other people is not okay. But if you're trying to control someone saying the F word or something, then I don't know what to tell you. Stop trying to control the world you evil goober you. Stay in your room and play single player rated E games in your no cussing zone ^_^

If you paid attention to the thread, it was not so much about people saying "the F word", and more about inappropriate character names and racial/sexual slurs, which are against charters that players agree to upon entering the game. Asking for a way to address this was the goal, be it chat moderation or appropriate report options.

1 minute ago, Chihana said:

If you paid attention to the thread, it was not so much about people saying "the F word", and more about inappropriate character names and racial/sexual slurs, which are against charters that players agree to upon entering the game. Asking for a way to address this was the goal, be it chat moderation or appropriate report options.

I read a lot of replies that only mention profanity ^_^ thats what I'm replying to. 

The entitlement is strong in this thread

I still cant get over the person who said its NA so everyone should be speaking english

On 1/23/2016 at 6:07 AM, Precipice said:

Lol offensive chat? Are you 12? Maybe you should go play Battlefield 4 where you get instant server kick and ban for no-no words. Grow up.

Maybe you should go to the darkweb where you didnt sign an agreement saying youre under someone elses rules

Though i dont think you had parents permission so its probably not binding anyways

Being condescending doesnt make your point

On 1/23/2016 at 6:08 AM, Mew said:

I read a lot of replies that only mention profanity ^_^ thats what I'm replying to. 

Profanity is fine

Racism and sexism not so bad

Entire chat being anti BR for hours on end

Nah

12 minutes ago, Mew said:

FWIW, ESO is an M-rated game as well, and you don't see people behaving in chat that way they do here or trying to justify it with the rating.  Also, people aren't complaining about someone dropping the f-bomb so much as they are racism and sexism in chat and childishly offensive character names (all of which are not actually allowed).

2 minutes ago, MadBlue said:

FWIW, ESO is an M-rated game as well, and you don't see people behaving in chat that way they do here or trying to justify it with the rating.  Also, people aren't complaining about someone dropping the f-bomb so much as they are racism and sexism in chat and childishly offensive character names (all of which are not actually allowed).

It'll taper down a lot as the days pass

4 minutes ago, Yancha said:

The entitlement is strong in this thread

I still cant get over the person who said its NA so everyone should be speaking english

Maybe you should go to the darkweb where you didnt sign an agreement saying youre under someone elses rules

Though i dont think you had parents permission so its probably not binding anyways

Being condescending doesnt make your point

Profanity is fine

Racism and sexism not so bad

Entire chat being anti BR for hours on end

Nah

Maybe you shouldn't be so overly sensitive to words?

1 minute ago, MadBlue said:

FWIW, ESO is an M-rated game as well, and you don't see people behaving in chat that way they do here.  Also, people aren't complaining about someone dropping the f-bomb so much as they are racism and sexism in chat and childishly offensive character names (all of which are not actually allowed).

I'm replying to people making comments about profanity. But, I am 100% against racism and sexism and believe THAT STUFF should not be allowed in the game. I see a lot of replies detailing only profanity though. I am not against general profanity and believe the word censorship in game and having the option to turn it on and off is good. Hopefully NCSOFT is active in actual abusive situations more often in the future. 

On 1/23/2016 at 6:15 AM, Precipice said:

Maybe you shouldn't be so overly sensitive to words?

If you relate not liking something with being oversensitive immediately then the problem is you

Its easier to strawman it than actually admit youre wrong isnt it?

And then theres this guy

213f55a955.PNG

2 minutes ago, Yancha said:

If you relate not liking something with being oversensitive immediately then the problem is you

And then theres this guy

213f55a955.PNG

I see a forced name change in that characters future. I don't have a problem with it but someone else will.

2 minutes ago, Yancha said:

And then theres this guy

213f55a955.PNG

I just think you're overly-sensitive and defensive. Why are you so defensive? Is it because you know that you're a sissy? If cussing and people being offensive isn't your thing maybe you should learn how to not internet?

On 1/23/2016 at 6:19 AM, Offended said:

I see a forced name change in that characters future. I don't have a problem with it but someone else will.

I dont care what anyone says

That name is amazing

There was another named "TallA**Ni**a" That was the best thing ever

On 1/23/2016 at 6:19 AM, Precipice said:

I just think you're overly-sensitive and defensive. Why are you so defensive? Is it because you know that you're a sissy? If cussing and people being offensive isn't your thing maybe you should learn how to not internet?

I think youre  enjoying and taking part in the racist commentary and dont want it to be monitored

On 1/23/2016 at 6:21 AM, Rubberbandit said:

Seems like a cool guy.

I hope people don't find this offensive, and if you do. Why.

Read above

Everything about that guy is perfect

Just now, Precipice said:

Others are actually greatly influenced and harmed due to taking these sort of things seriously. It is not wrong to have emotions over what people say to you even if you shouldn't feel that way over what a stranger says.  Maybe instead of him learning "how to not internet" you could learn social skills. 

3 minutes ago, Yancha said:

And then theres this guy

213f55a955.PNG

I'm a pretty responsible guy. I work and handle the mandatories of real life and keep a pretty positive social circle around me. My friends and I are in our 20s and discuss social issues from time to time. I'm empathetic when it counts the most and am always there for people, friends or strangers whenever they need help. I'm a pretty regular guy outside of my seemingly addictive gaming I guess.

Now, why do I find his name and appearance hilarious and you don't?

Archived