Doddger

Extremely offensive chat.

Recommended Posts

Offended   
6 minutes ago, Krosa said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, and I sure as heck am not about to scroll through 9 pages of text to find out.

As a... Less than proud Mushin Cerulean member, I can attest that the amount of grade A garbage that comes out of faction chat is truly mindblowing. However, to deal with that cesspool the easiest thing I can volunteer as a way out for many is to look at your chat bar. Above the scrolling text, on the right side you'll see a + symbol, when you click it, it allows for you to make custom chat tabs and even name them. I ended up making one that's /say, /party, /whisper, /clan. That way it keeps the /region gold sellers out, it keeps the /faction garbage gone, and finally the /partyfinder gold seller spam away as well.

I realize that avoiding the problem isn't nearly as "Up in arms" to solve the problem as some might want, however I've found it to be a very helpful solution to the vitriol that seems to spew out of every new F2P ultra hyped up MMO, so... Either take the suggestion or don't, but if you don't keep it in the back of your head the next time faction spam starts giving you a migraine. 

Its been suggested, but some players want to be active in getting players banned with updates from NCSoft on who they reported was banned and for how long. They also want player mods who have power over other customers and can ban them and even change characters names.

Edited by Offended

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  I suggest the chats should be monitored regardless, for a few reasons that is.

The main reason is the gold selling bots that spam the chat 24/7. Spamming block is great and all, but not what you can only do it 50 times before you're maxed out on blocking users. Not only does this waste your blocks on gold farmers it causes you the inability to block the distasteful members of the community which is clearly unfair, but you're left with these farmers destroying the online community. I don't know about you, but I have never personally seen a report quickly handled after it was reported. That is normal in most MMORPGs though.

 

  Back to the main subject... the rowdy members of the online community. These people are less destructive as gold farmers, but as it sits right now; people are not afraid to be as horrid as possible.

These people might not seem harmful, but they truly are. They spread hate through the region chat making it harder for anyone to talk or for those trying to get noticed when they need real in game help. A quick solution to this is a few chat monitors per server.(I suggest qualified volunteers) These people simply hand out small mutes to those members when needed. As for the gold farmers they can be muted too till the admins can IP ban or what ever it is that they do to them.

 

FYI: When the game is free the people who flame others don't give a sh*t about ToS . ^-^/  >Opinions from a 2 year Pokemon Online Moderator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Krosa   
Just now, Offended said:

Its been suggested, but some players want to be active in getting players banned with updates from NCSoft on who they reported was banned and for how long.

Ah, so instead of just wanting it dealt with like reasonable adults it went from wanting options to avoid conflict to some odd "We want this to be a witch hunt and we want to have a list of the witches NCsoft burned (banned) this past week. Yeah, that sounds incredibly calm, thought out, and mature to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mew   

Free to play games are never as responsive with GM's it seems, which makes sense. I have never seen a GM or have heard of ones being talked about in blade and soul, maybe they exist i don't know.  Obviously if someones abusive to an extreme extent report it, make a ticket with detail of when the abuse happened.

 

Its a rated M game so language and stuff you can either block or ignore or turn on your profanity filter. The games intended for adults though so.... any bad words should be allowed. 

 

If someone is seriously being told to commit suicide then report it, block the person, or maybe message the person who's being abused and give them the easy solution of blocking the abusive person as well. Blocking fixes a lot of things, some people just don't do it for whatever reason. 

 

Also its an online game with thousands of people hiding behind characters at home. You can't necessarily take everyone seriously. Pick and choose who's words really matter and who's don't in chat. MMORPG's and overly sensitive people to words don't tend to go well together. 

 

Oh and... Theres a lot of good people in the community so calling the whole community abusive on behalf of a couple random abusive players you've seen is kinda stupid. 

Edited by Mew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Offended   
1 minute ago, Krosa said:

Ah, so instead of just wanting it dealt with like reasonable adults it went from wanting options to avoid conflict to some odd "We want this to be a witch hunt and we want to have a list of the witches NCsoft burned (banned) this past week. Yeah, that sounds incredibly calm, thought out, and mature to me.

That is where it always goes does it not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sbfuse   

This is common behavior in a F2P game. I was a subscribed Tera player from launch and when it went F2P omg the community got nuked overnight. We unfortunately live in a world of entitled undisciplined disrespectful and down right cowardly youth. I block craps loads. Even those who choose to have a discussion in general chat about non game related things. Just block man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maryelle   
6 minutes ago, Mew said:

MMORPG's and overly sensitive people to words don't tend to go well together. 

Ah yes, let's blame the "overly sensitive people" for wanting bullies and trolls shut down.

 

If you permit the behaviour, you approve of the behaviour.

 

Go tell the victim of racism that they're overly sensitive. Or the woman who endures *cricket* jokes in the chat that she should harden up. Classy.

 

EDIT: Hey, NCSoft sensors the word R      A      P     E. But it's okay in chat!!

Edited by Maryelle
Correction and validation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mew   
3 minutes ago, Sbfuse said:

This is common behavior in a F2P game. I was a subscribed Tera player from launch and when it went F2P omg the community got nuked overnight. We unfortunately live in a world of entitled undisciplined disrespectful and down right cowardly youth. I block craps loads. Even those who choose to have a discussion in general chat about non game related things. Just block man.

lol non gaming chat in game? Can talk about whatever you want. I don't get why people complain about non gaming chat in mmorpg's. If faction chat were literally only people wts/wtb and talking about party finding. That would be boring, very boring. I don't mind when chat gets a little crazy, it makes it fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Krosa   
Just now, Offended said:

That is where it always goes does it not?

I can safely say I've done a fair job of remaining ignorant to all that kind of stuff over the past years. I used to be a hardcore forum goer back in highschool with Gaiaonline, and a bit in the FFXI community, but got out of it for a good bit, mainly for lack of solid community based forums like this (And... I just so happened to be wide awake during a server issue so I really have no other plans for 5 AM lol)

 

Maybe I've just gotten to old to see the joys in witch hunts and the over the top political correctness. The way I see it, would I prefer it if people were somewhat more mature in faction chat... Yes, however I have found a silver lining of sorts, whenever I need to windwalk somewhere long distance, I set it back to faction and if I hit a lucky break I might see a kindred intellectual spirit who I will then whisper and strike up a conversation with... Then turn faction chat back off because ugh. Long story short, when you're wading through a sea of crap, it makes it so much easier to pick out the shiny nickle floating about and who knows, it might even be a quarter. I'd never let the pixels of another anonymous individual enrage me to the levels you see some people reach however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadBlue   
4 minutes ago, Krosa said:

Ah, so instead of just wanting it dealt with like reasonable adults it went from wanting options to avoid conflict to some odd "We want this to be a witch hunt and we want to have a list of the witches NCsoft burned (banned) this past week. Yeah, that sounds incredibly calm, thought out, and mature to me.

Right, because one or two people may have said that in some thread at some point means the entire argument went from reasonable to a witch hunt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sbfuse   

Maryelle some people don't get it. This is what I mean about today. No respect for anyone or even the game your playing. Last thing I want to see in chat is profanity because it takes away from the game and turns into a debate chat room. Anyone who thinks this behavior is ok are probably the ones doing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Maryelle said:

Ah yes, let's blame the "overly sensitive people" for wanting bullies and trolls shut down.

 

If you permit the behaviour, you approve of the behaviour.

 

Go tell the victim of racism that they're overly sensitive. Or the woman who endures *cricket* jokes in the chat that she should harden up. Classy.

 

EDIT: Hey, NCSoft sensors the word R      A      P     E. But it's okay in chat!!

 

And just like you bypassed their attempts to make this forum cleaner other players will do the same by your example with their toxicity. They don't want that word used on the forum period, regardless of the context, don't bypass the filter. Follow the rules you are trying to uphold.

Edited by Rubberbandit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Krosa   
1 minute ago, MadBlue said:

Right, because one or two people may have said that in some thread at some point means the entire argument went from reasonable to a witch hunt.

If you read my earlier post you'd notice that I said I wasn't about to read a backlog of 9 pages, so when presented with the context given I commented appropriately. Also, even if that was not the original intent of the thread, especially ones with such a touchy subject... The overall context and feel of the posters in said thread can drastically change in just a few pages. So yes, on page one, the idea might have been wanting to better police it, but by page five you've been derailed into people going on about something as police state-esque as publicly naming/emailing the names of banned users who were reported. Not even SquareEnix does that, they do a weekly/biweekly/monthly (I forget) announcement of how many accounts have been suspended/banned, but there are never names publicly or privately released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mew   
8 minutes ago, Sbfuse said:

Maryelle some people don't get it. This is what I mean about today. No respect for anyone or even the game your playing. Last thing I want to see in chat is profanity because it takes away from the game and turns into a debate chat room. Anyone who thinks this behavior is ok are probably the ones doing it.

I think profanity is okay. Stop trying to fight it, you can't control what people say. Profanity isn't against the terms of use, its allowed. That's why they have a profanity filter. The game is intended for adults, not children. In the real life, people use profanity, same as they do in game. If you run around complaining about it all the time and making a fuss about it  your not going to have much fun doing anything. I use bad language sometimes, so do a ton of people and thats completely fine... Its part of the language whether you like it or not. If you don't like it you have options to control it on your end. 

 

It only turns into a debate chat room when you try and control what other people say.

Edited by Mew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Krosa   
Just now, Mew said:

 In the real life,

Totally off topic for a moment, but that flub up made me chuckle a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mew   
1 minute ago, Krosa said:

Totally off topic for a moment, but that flub up made me chuckle a bit.

Ayyyyyy, anime is real to ^_^ believe it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Krosa said:

Totally off topic for a moment, but that flub up made me chuckle a bit.

 

its okay this thread went way off topic awhile ago xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maryelle   
7 minutes ago, Rubberbandit said:

 

And just like you bypassed their attempts to make this forum cleaner other players will do the same by your example with their toxicity. They don't want that word used on the forum period, regardless of the context, don't bypass the filter. Follow the rules you are trying to uphold.

So why do they allow that kind of stuff in the chat? Why is that space different? Do you care about the content of this space in the same way I care about the vile stuff I read in chat? I know it was hypocritical to bypass. Can you spot your own hypocrisy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sbfuse   

Logging off. Good bye to those decent people out there that play the game for what it is. Use block and let the trash talk amongst themselves. Bye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mew   
Just now, Rubberbandit said:

 

its okay this thread went way off topic awhile ago xD

Was this thread supposed to be serious? I couldn't tell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Krosa   
1 minute ago, Mew said:

Was this thread supposed to be serious? I couldn't tell. 

I mean, I hope so... Otherwise I'll feel kind of silly for sharing the epic ancient Hongmoon secret arts of the "Nospam" tab on my chat bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only real problem in dealing with all the children is that the block list is so small. I filled up the 50 spots in the first two days of early access. Had to disable it completely. Now it feels like a solo game with a 9 hour queue to play.
Ah well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.