7 Days to delete a character!?

Annila

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the way ESO Online does it you have 8 slots (because it's b2p) but you get 3 deletes they are instant once you use them you must wait 24 hours from your last delete to delete another toon and you don't get them all back you get one back every 24 hours it has combatted bots/gold farmers pretty well from what I can tell

On 1/22/2016 at 1:05 AM, Lock6 said:

Hi,

The time it takes to delete a character was implemented as a countermeasure to accounts being compromised.

We are looking at this closely and taking player feedback on board.

7 days is a long time to wait. If this is only in the game to combat hacking and other allieses logging into your account then you need to do something better. There's nothing stopping them from just going onto your character and deleting all of your items or doing other bad things on your account. Isn't this why you guys have a pin code to help prevent such a thing?

You shouldn't be punishing a majority of players for minor incidents. It's like vindictus and auto banning about a year ago. It was implemented to combat bots but it also target legit players farming xp and items. 

You can set up an email verification to email players about character deletion and have them manual inter a random phrase to delete their characters or shorten it down to 24 hours or 2 days. Sometimes I don't feel like even play this game because I can only play one character right now as I wait for my other character who's on another server to be deleted because I didn't know which server my homies were on. You could also have the game just not allow you to log in until you confirm your new IP address with an email if you are logging in from another location, that's what Guild Wars 2 does.

All in all, 7 days is too long.

Just create another account and bam - the problem solved. AFAIK there is no account bound items in BnS (except maybe founder pack items, but hey we are talking about free accounts) like in C9 so there is no purpose for keeping all chars in the same account.

21 minutes ago, Zachariasz said:

Just create another account and bam - the problem solved. AFAIK there is no account bound items in BnS (except maybe founder pack items, but hey we are talking about free accounts) like in C9 so there is no purpose for keeping all chars in the same account.

That does not help premium players

On 1/22/2016 at 8:11 AM, Adeptguy said:

My feedback would be that you keep the 7 days (168 hours) for a lvl 1 character, then lessen the period required for deletion of character to immediate deletion at lvl 45 (0 hours). For this system to be able to combat gold sellers you can choose to go for an exponential distribution (see below).

exponential-curve.png

So in the beginning it still takes a long time but at higher lvls it gets exponentially easier to delete it. This graph is just an example.

This is a very bad idea.

6 minutes ago, Adeptguy said:

Great counter argument, where are your ideas?

Well, since you asked.

I feel like waiting 7 days to delete a character level 15 and above is a bit much. I see why it's there to keep hackers and other people from deleting them instantly but it's a real long time to wait. A shorter wait time like 2 days or keep it at 7 days but the game sends an email that if you input lets you delete the character within a day. This way you can make sure that the person deleting the character is them. Unless they hack the email then you got bigger problems to worry about.

You could also solve this the same way GW2 does it. Have a registered IP adress that prevents foreign IP's from logging onto your account if it's you they send a conformation email for your new IP. You could also have a special 2nd password just for deleting characters as well.

7 days is excessive, something more like 3 days would serve the same purpose.

Most are also forgetting accounts are tied to some benefits such as premium or things already bought from the store being held in account mail.

Also, accounts which have had NCoin charged either through start up package or through transaction is the only way to unlock the mail system for trading and mailing. The only other option is to buy more character slots to use the same account.

It's a stand off, either fork up the money or wait or you leave (which they don't want you to do)

As far as I remember, it was 7 days on KR as well.

Obviously that's a bit too much. Having 24 hours wait time should be more than enough after reaching level 15.

I would see 7 day wait time somewhat reasonable only if character has hit max level cap.

I'm sure majority of people will agree.

On 1/22/2016 at 2:05 AM, Lock6 said:

Hi,

The time it takes to delete a character was implemented as a countermeasure to accounts being compromised.

It's hard to see this as anything other than a blatant money grab to require people to buy more character slots. There are many alternatives that wouldn't require a player to wait and would prevent deleting characters on compromised accounts (for instance, sending a confirmation link/code to my email and/or phone).

Somewhat off-topic but related --

Great game; lousy business model. I've made several purchases including: Founder's Pack, 7-day premium membership (to avoid the 2 & 3 hour queue times after release), and 1000 NCoin (spent on various things to overcome in-game limitations like limited bag space & keys for the class-specific weapons after hours & hours being unlucky). With the exception of the Founder's Pack, I regret the other purchases. They felt like 'needs' just to be able to play the game, and a purchase you make because you are coerced rather than one you make willingly screaming "take my money!". I throw money happily at LoL, HotS, Hearthstone and others. Those purchases feel like money well spent. B&S does not feel that way.

I love the game, and there are definitely worse offenders in the free-to-play arena. I almost spent the $5 for another character slot; however, I just can't get over the icky feeling that I'm being taken for a 7-day ride. 

my boyfriend just started to play and i wanted to delete a char level 20 to start a new one with him (cause we only have 2 slots) and i have one in another server level 24 when I saw 7 days to delete the char i almost fainted... what the hell??? :(((

On 1/22/2016 at 4:05 AM, Lock6 said:

Hi,

Huh, really now? I feel like it's a countermeasure to prevent us from holding onto our money. Those extra character slots are what, 5 dollars? And we only get two starting out? 

On 1/22/2016 at 6:03 PM, Random said:

They're only doing it for those that have paid money for their characters to not be deleted right away and for people reporting bot accounts.  If you spent hundreds of dollars of a character I'm sure you'd be pretty upset if someone hacked you and deleted all of your stuff and had to wait weeks-months to get it back. 

If it really bothers you to wait  7 days, you're better off making a new account and starting over like that or spending 5 bucks for a character slot. 

Time or money your choice. 

but thats not what sellers do. they take ur shit and leave ur toon naked. how is waiting 7 days going to stop a hacker from taking all ur shit and selling it?

takes 10 times longer to delete a character than it takes for u to hit max lvl. theres a *cricket*ing problem here. and no this doesnt combat hackers since hackers dont delete toons they just take ur shit and pass it on.

Archived