Forums

7 Days to delete a character!?

Annila

Ok, 7 days is dumb, however you see it. How about add in an email confirmation? you have verify location email, ya? Add in a verify delete key. How hard is that?

At worst you can make it 2 days. That according to your calculation is 1day 23 hrs 59 mins 59 seconds.

I have 5 char slots. 3 bought. Now i want to delete my OLD one. Forgive me BladeAndSoul, for i have sinned and made it lvl 16. My penance should not last 7 days.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some are missing the big picture with this feature, they do 7 days not cause of hackers but cause they want you to end up getting tired or frustrated and buy more character slots, when it comes to F2P games it is all about trying to get someone to pay by any means and this is one of those little features that does just that, me on the other hand just made more accounts, i got 1 of every class and havent bought 1 character slot.

10 minutes ago, HelloMyFriend said:

Some are missing the big picture with this feature, they do 7 days not cause of hackers but cause they want you to end up getting tired or frustrated and buy more character slots, when it comes to F2P games it is all about trying to get someone to pay by any means and this is one of those little features that does just that, me on the other hand just made more accounts, i got 1 of every class and havent bought 1 character slot.

it is more so aimed at premium/founders account holders....those who want to maintain the already purchased perks 

• 2 weeks later...

A week to delete a character is just ridiculous. It's nothing more than a ploy to entice you to spend money on character slots, something that the more I play and explore the game I see them sneakily pushing sly ways of forcing you to pay Having to actually pay money to use the mail system?! Unacceptable. It's crap like this which is really starting to make me not want to play this game, even though I have come to generally enjoy it. All I wanted to do was delete a character I was done playing with to test out a new race and class, but now I have to wait an entire week to be able to do so. I can tell you now my curiosity isn't going to last that long and I'll have just moved onto bigger and better things. I already bought another character slot so I could have a main and two alt chars to experiment on as I please, and now I've run into this wall and I'm starting to regret even putting that small amount of money in. It may seem small and inconsequential for some, but for many others it is a big issue and the small things stack up. This game needs so many quality of life and general common sense improvements it's beginning to become tedious already. Serve your customers not your wallets and you'll find that you'll make a lot more money because people will actually be more happy to put money into a quality game that they enjoy and know that the devs respect their community.

10 hours ago, skyy said:

They are looking into the issue. (point O., response from Babbletr0n, assistant producer) It's the same timer on every region (NA, China, Japan, Korea). I'm not sure though if 2 character slots are limited for free-to-play.

As I've heard from other people other regions got additional slots when warlock was released

I have to wait a week for 4 hours of gameplay ...

The main problem is they didn't give anyone this critical information BEFORE WE HIT 15.
I'm quite sure we all would've reconsidered  levelling past that point as a trial of the class if we were alerted.
I'm almost grateful now that I sucked so much with that KFM otherwise id be stuck with him for a week.

If they just want to stop spammers or hackers just add more time per deleted character through intervals.
5 minutes, 1 hour, 4 hours, 24 hours, 7 days

As for spamming messages they could do a string check for repetitive message content.
AND
frequency.

IF it has both frequency and repetition of the same content over and over just chat block them in progressive intervals from that specific chat area.

IMO That would be enough to limit the bad while not killing off the good.

1 minute ago, htdexhdfg said:

I have to wait a week for 4 hours of gameplay ...

The main problem is they didn't give anyone this critical information BEFORE WE HIT 15.
I'm quite sure we all would've reconsidered  levelling past that point as a trial of the class if we were alerted.
I'm almost grateful now that I sucked so much with that KFM otherwise id be stuck with him for a week.

If they just want to stop spammers or hackers just add more time per deleted character through intervals.
5 minutes, 1 hour, 4 hours, 24 hours, 7 days

As for spamming messages they could do a string check for repetitive message content.
AND
frequency.

IF it has both frequency and repetition of the same content over and over just chat block them in progressive intervals from that specific chat area.

IMO That would be enough to limit the bad while not killing off the good.

Thing about bots is that character deletion doesn't really effect them. They just make a new account and bam right back to advertising. Besides they don't really have a need for more then 1 character to bot with.

As for hackers they can just delete your items and transfer all your gold.

It's not really a good idea to increase the time it takes per deleted character. I've blow through like 6 characters (All below level 15) and it would be a pain trying out classes if I had to wait 24 hours to do so.

Thing about bots is that character deletion doesn't really effect them. They just make a new account and bam right back to advertising. Besides they don't really have a need for more then 1 character to bot with.

As for hackers they can just delete your items and transfer all your gold.

It's not really a good idea to increase the time it takes per deleted character. I've blow through like 6 characters (All below level 15) and it would be a pain trying out classes if I had to wait 24 hours to do so.

I agree bots make more accounts to compensate.
Those bots move in sync with about 2mm of separation. They stack more for faster questing damage. They only need 2-3 of them to get through.

Assuming you had 2 char slots only
And use those to level 15 without premium thats 3.5 hours per char, with premium 2 hours per char. 
The current roster offers 7 classes. Take 2 off that for being free to mess with.
If you delete one char while playing the other, the first 2 deletes are irrelevant.
Inversely you just spent 8 hours over 4 chars.

However, i did fail to mention that this would be applied per slot, and resets after 7 days.
From my perspective its quite lenient in this fashion you'd be able to try 6 characters while  rushing to level 15 without compromise as long as youuse the alt while the other is deleted.
This would net you 12 hours of playing this game straight without eating, sleeping or pooping.

Is a 2 hour break so horrible? Did you honestly dislike every class aside from the very last one you chose after getting them to 15+?
You know that the deletion for chars under 15 still stand at 5 minutes right?
I'm missing the relevance of how you're hindered outside of the PSA of deletion times.

My point is that a gradual increase serves as a passive PSA. Moreso if you can see that rend on a specific slot.

Pfft 7 day wait just so I can try another character, you guys have made such dumb decisions with this game. The fact I have to wait 7 freaking days to try another class means you won't get a cent out of me now. I'd rather go play something else that doesn't have stupid features like this to try and get money out of people.

I've spoken on this in another thread but it seems that it needs to be said here too ;)  It is one big cash-grab with NCSoft in this game.  Buy premium to get around the queues, oh, now there are premium queues.  Bunch of packs you can buy that offer an amount of time on premium, which seems nice, when really the premium benefits are not that great, at all, to me.  Buy inventory space and other things that are quality of life things that you -really need- in a game.  And don't get me started on the $15-20 costumes that you give to one character and one character only with no way to sell it or trade it to any of your other characters like in GW2 (which is often called Fashion Wars by people who play it, and they're part of NCSoft.)

And now we have 7 day character deletion.  Like people have said, people who hack your accounts do NOT delete your characters.  I've had my accounts hacked in a couple of games and the MO is pretty simple.  They take your stuff.  ALL your stuff.  Or in Diablo 3 they powerlevel your character to highest level, then farm the easy stuff, THEN take your stuff when they think they're about to get caught.  They do NOT delete your character!!  Why would they bother doing that?  What do they get out of deleting your character?  Nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  They just strip it and go on to the next account they hack. 

7 day character deletion is not an effective way to combat account stealers.  All its doing is making people mad that they can't delete their characters faster, and is an attempt from NCSoft to make you bored over the week, and get you to cave and buy a character slot.  IF they really cared about hackers deleting characters, there would be an extra password needed to delete one, or email or phone confirmation when you want one deleted.  Not "Oh, wait 7 days because some evil hacker might delete your precious snowflake!!"

On 22-1-2016 at 9:57 AM, Annila said:

Let me get this straight, you add servers to this game, and expect players to migrate to other servers to relieve server load, but then you have to wait 7 days to delete a character?  And to top it off, we only get 2 free character slots to Asia's 3?

I'm pretty mad.

Marketing m8, so you will buy a extra character slot.. 
But since this game is F2P and the game ISNT P2W, i can deal with this just fine.. 

I agree that its good that the game isn't P2W like Perfect World was/is, and that we SHOULD be comfortable with buying SOME things from NCSoft if we feel we need them.  But the prices are exorbitant and saying "Oh, its ok, not P2W you know!" isn't really helping NCSoft make more money in the long run.  They should know this from GW2, more people are willing to pay MORE money than they are charging for one outfit, if you let them buy 3 outfits for relatively the same cost.  Yes, this means they need to put out more outfits on a regular basis, and have them be decently priced so they are affordable, but, they would make -tons- more money this way.  1 person pays $25 for an outfit once, vs. 10 people paying 5 apiece for 3 outfits?  Simple math, and they don't seem to realize this yet.

7 days seems about right to me. Anyone traveling, having a busy work week, going on vacation, etc. etc. may not log in for at least that long. This is fantastic protection for them, and all and all a week really isn't very long to wait for anyone else. Besides, there's always the option of purchasing an additional slot if you're in a hurry.

The only part I do have a problem with is the reasoning. The 7 days is to "protect us from hackers", but from what we've seen hacked accounts are banned and NC support absolutely refuses to restore them (or in many cases, bother reading the ticket at all) unless you take to social media or the dojo and just happen to get a large enough following to warrant a reply.

I get the feeling the 7 days is more to prevent instant rage deletes, after which NC will very likely have to field a support ticket asking for a restore.

7 days is crazy, it can prevent hackers deleting you, but it's better that the account stealing is stopped in the first place.

Does this game have the option for phone One Time Password verification or similar?

At most I'd go like 3 day delete. If you lose your account, unless you quit for an expended period of time, a person will probably try to recover it ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 0:25 PM, Bril said:

Except level 15 isn't exactly "high level", you can make that is a few hours.  There is no reason to have a pending delete period of more than 5 minutes.  If the concern is about hacked accounts and character deletion, that is why you have server backups.  A seven day wait period is beyond stupid.

u missed the point.

Right, if someone levels to 15, earns the 7 day lock out before deletion to spam. u know that account specifically is Locked to using that Name or Simply CANNOT create a new character for 7 days, which means they cant Reroll the character with a New Name to avoid ur block list purposes as quickly as if they actually removed the thing all together, dw u all get a free char slot tomorrow anyway :D

I think it's fairly easy to fix this if an account has an authiticator connected they should get instant delete, if not Nc sends an email to the account owner which has to be verified and then it take 2 days max.
7 days that must be the dumbest they implemented !!

7 days is excessive. 48 hours lets people who don't play everyday check in to see if their account was abused.

But ... if they feel 7 days are needed for safety reasons, then the answer would be a fixed number of slots. Meaning, deleting a character over 15 automatically opens a new slot. When the old character deletes in 7 days the slot disappears with it. Cancel the deletion on the old character, the newly opened slot and character locks/deletes and a new "deletion" slot can't be opened for 7 days. This prevents people from deleting characters then canceling deletions back and forth within the 7 days as a way to gain an extra slot.*

*I think we should have more slots to start with. Two (now three) is stingy beyond measure. But they did this for whatever reason and I am looking at it from their point of view.

Archived