Brazilians becoming a bit of an issue?

Savara

Faction chat on Jiwan is being spammed full of Portuguese.  Can't really work with people when we can't communicate with anyone.

Why the hell are people who can't speak English, Spanish, or French allowed on a North America server where they can't even communicate with the general populace?  

Languages other than the official server language need to be reportable for spam or something.  It's just getting beyond crazy.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Savara said:

Languages other than the official server language need to be reportable for spam or something.  It's just getting beyond crazy.

Impractical

4 minutes ago, Savara said:

Why the hell are people who can't speak English, Spanish, or French allowed on a North America server where they can't even communicate with the general populace?  

Because there are multilingual people living in NA who speak both english and spanish, english and french, hell maybe all three of them. You send those "Brazilians" you speak of a modest whisper if they speak english, oh they speak english. Its like this in most MMOs, but I do see your point to some degree, and I'm completely against cultural assimilation, even if it is within a game.

2 minutes ago, HunterKurza said:

What would be nice is to be able to set in your profile what language you speak and then be able to select what languages you wish to see in chats. This would block peoples messages in chat that have not selected the language you speak

What would be even better is if they IP ban countries where the players refuse to talk english on english servers... If they want to play on English speaking servers they need to learn the language or stop trying.

It is disrespectful to talk in a different language if the server is listed as an english speaking one.

Uhm, see, here's the thing.  You go to another country, you act as they do. It's called, "Do as the Romans do."  When I'm on a European server for French, I'll speak French. For Spanish, I'll speak Spanish.  Having people who don't understand you only mucks things up and makes teamwork impossible.  Just asking someone to speak English doesn't work when... guess what? THEY DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH.

Succubus, for the younger people's notes, look up what happened after Maplestory banned BRs, they almost ruined that game.  The game's community improved after they IP-Blocked Brazil.

You can have a consensus of everyone you want, but when you go to a foreign server where the main language (and the game text is in English), it's still not okay.

1 minute ago, Savara said:
2 minutes ago, Savara said:

Succubus, for the younger people's notes, look up what happened after Maplestory banned BRs, they almost ruined that game.  The game's community improved after they IP-Blocked Brazil.

You can have a consensus of everyone you want, but when you go to a foreign server where the main language (and the game text is in English), it's still not okay.

I didn't say any of it was good or bad.

I just gave information.

9 minutes ago, Savara said:

Uhm, see, here's the thing.  You go to another country, you act as they do. It's called, "Do as the Romans do."  When I'm on a European server for French, I'll speak French. For Spanish, I'll speak Spanish.  Having people who don't understand you only mucks things up and makes teamwork impossible.  Just asking someone to speak English doesn't work when... guess what? THEY DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH.

Sorry, I too remember when I could not understand such concepts. However assuming everything you said is correct, I'm sure that is what they do in Europe, but this is a game that literally mirrors the generations of MMOs in terms of appealing to an audience, not just in the hosted country. I mean take everything you just said word for word, this game was released in Korea 5 years ago, yet it appealed to many Americans. Does it makes sense for me to tell you to only speak Korean if you wanted to play 5 years ago on Korean servers, because it upsets a few individuals because of their pet peeves? What you're complaining about at this point is your own problem, think about it, you couldn't even do what you are telling these people to do if you were in their own position. Please think, because at this rate you might even reply "Well I wouldn't play the Korean version then." 

It´s easy to say: "why they don´t speak english??" i wish you have the time (or the mindset)to learn portuguese.

In my experience, when US people come to Brazil the don´t care about speak in protuguese. so why should we?

in fact, you guys still think that Rio de Janeiro is our country capital. Please, leave the game and go back to scholl

Just now, usedtoplayCS said:

Sorry, I too remember when I could not understand such concepts. However assuming everything you said is correct, I'm sure that is what they do in Europe, but this is a game that literally mirrors the generations of MMOs in terms of appealing to an audience, not just in the hosted country. I mean just everything you said word for word, this game was released in Korea 5 years ago, yet it appealed to many Americans. Does it makes sense for me to tell you to only speak Korean because it upsets a few individuals because of their pet peeves? What you're complaining about at this point is your own problem, think about it, you couldn't even do what you are telling these people to do if you were in their own position. Please think.

Yes, it makes sense! If I was playing on a Korean server (which I won't), I'd either have to learn KOREAN or not play at all.  See? I'm respectful enough to not cause problems for people on different regions because of the fact I can't understand their language, read the instructions of the game, or positively contribute to the community.  It's called common decency.  Learn more about that.

3 minutes ago, YouckFouu said:

It´s easy to say: "why they don´t speak english??" i wish you have the time (or the mindset)to learn portuguese.

In my experience, when US people come to Brazil the don´t care about speak in protuguese. so why should we?

in fact, you guys still think that Rio de Janeiro is our country capital. Please, leave the game and go back to scholl

this isnt Brazil though, this is our server.

1 minute ago, YouckFouu said:

I've taken the time to learn English (I have a degree in that), Spanish (four years), and French (four years).  I am -not- spending anymore of my life on a language I'm not going to need to use on a daily basis.  If I've spent eight years of my life learning foreign languages to places I'll actually go, the same respect should be given if you're planning to go to another place.

2 minutes ago, YouckFouu said:

I really dont think that has anything to do with the issues.. in a game. It's expected that people speak at least some English in the game even broken but not flat out refuse, on  world chat mind you. In guild, party etc whatever do as you please. 

Also, it's school not scholl. Just sayin :\

How about next time a game opens, you don't roll on what was commonly known to be the BR server?  

I know this and hardly followed the game, never been to forums until the night before launch.  

Every single Jiwan thread I found mentioned it would be the BR server.  Every 'unofficial roleplay' thread had someone mention it.

If you don't like it you should have started somewhere else.  The RP community does this on almost every single game they think they are much much bigger than they really are.

7 minutes ago, Savara said:

Yes, it makes sense! If I was playing on a Korean server (which I won't), I'd either have to learn KOREAN or not play at all.  See? I'm respectful enough to not cause problems for people on different regions because of the fact I can't understand their language, read the instructions of the game, or positively contribute to the community.  It's called common decency.  Learn more about that.

Yea well, again with your impracticality. Your standards are your own. 

and YouckFouu as I'm obviously on the BR side of this argument, there is no reason in this world to learn Portuguese it has nothing to do with mindset. There are Languages that can help you in career and socially like chinse, japanese, spanish, german, even latin.   Portugese is down there with Swahili.

3 minutes ago, YouckFouu said:

Likewise! Leave the game and come back when you've learned english!

The server is listed as an ENGLISH SPEAKING server.

12 minutes ago, Succubus Lilith said:

For those unaware (as this was brought up on the dojo a while back), Jiwan was the server chosen by the BR community to all enter.

So have fun with that.

It doesn't matter what the so called "BR community" wants. It's an english speaking server.

If you want a BR server, make a petition for it. Better yet, learn to use english for communicating with people in games.

It's about respecting the people the server language was intended for. People who speak english. And don't compare it to when US people etc visits BR. They're tourists. They stay for a week or two then leave. Completely different scenario. Or did your "BR community" intend on staying for a week or two before moving on to a different server? Sheesh...

Archived