Forums

Low FPS on a mid-range PC.

KungFuGuy

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

Yes, but the thing is that this rig isn't one that should struggle with a 60 FPS setting. I have no idea WHY enabling Vsync sometimes fixes that, but it does in BNS. No harm in trying, right?

Radeon R9 390, everything on 5, 60fps, vsync on. Which part of my setup are you interested in?

Woot woot 390, Tell me your PSU/RAM/CPU ^^.

60FPS even in Dungeons with everyone attacking? The moment everyone is attacking my 390x struggles keeping over 30fps Everything on 4, no AA,no VSYNC. (I'll try VSYNC when server is back up).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, FioX said:

Woot woot 390, Tell me your PSU/RAM/CPU ^^.

60FPS even in Dungeons with everyone attacking? The moment everyone is attacking my 390x struggles keeping over 30fps Everything on 4, no AA,no VSYNC. (I'll try VSYNC when server is back up).

Aerocool 750W, 32gb DDR4 2666mhz, i7-6700K.

With GPU on factory settings, game on everything maxed, 60 FPS everywhere, but in dungeons with too much effects (like 15-20 enemies in Shadow Grasp + cold snap + meteor shower) it drops to 40-45. 

FPS constant and unchanging 60 when setting "Optimize for combat" in game's video settings (removes some fancy glitter particles), even in raids with 20+ people.

2 hours ago, KungFuGuy said:

True, it's not the best graphics card. But if the majority of games run better for me than this; it's a game problem.

If I can run Crysis 3 and Battlefield 3 both which look better than this; I should be able to run this at 60fps.

The game is unoptimized and I doubt getting a new GPU would help much.

Comparing games with compleatly different engines and gamestyles never works properly. There is a big difference between a MMO and a FPS. Try playing battlefield 3 with 200 people on your screen and see what happens, also add spell effects to their guns.

1 hour ago, usedtoplayCS said:

I would assume its an optimization issue, as my setup consists of more powerful parts than yours, yet I drop frames as well and it gets choppy.

Then again lot of streamers, even those who just started streaming upon the release of this game, their games run flawlessly. So maybe.

A stream is not someone one can use to measure how well a game runs either. I have quite often watched ArmA or dayZ streams, which i always wondred "why do they look so smooth? I bearly get 35 fps". Well when I ask, neither do they. 
But sitting infront of your computer and actually playing a game at 35fps might look like laggfeast, watching a video at 30fps will look good. Because a video is not the same thing.

22 minutes ago, FioX said:

Yup I guess it's confirmed, BnS IS VERY BADLY OPTIMIZED lol.

If a Way weaker card runs better than a Current Gen GPU something is wrong lol.

In this case the person may or may not also have a faster processor than you, and without knowing more specific specs than "i7" we cannot know. For some games, a faster processor is a lot more important than a faster GPU, a GPU is far from everything in a game.
My poor little i7 2700k @ 4.3GHz bottlenecks my 980Ti in A LOT of games. I would need a faster processor to get around that issue.

4 minutes ago, Elghinnarisa said:

In this case the person may or may not also have a faster processor than you, and without knowing more specific specs than "i7" we cannot know. For some games, a faster processor is a lot more important than a faster GPU, a GPU is far from everything in a game.
My poor little i7 2700k @ 4.3GHz bottlenecks my 980Ti in A LOT of games. I would need a faster processor to get around that issue.

i7-2700K shouldn't bottleneck it THAT hard, maybe to 70-80% performance - should be twice as much as BnS should need. BnS worked well and all on my good ol' i5-2500K.

4 minutes ago, Victorion said:

32 GB ram - thats a whole lot, workstation pc?

On topic - resolution means alot too. I.e. 4K wont get same FPS as fullHD with same pc specs obviously.

Home PC, but being a software dev I often use it for work purposes. Plus I played around with RAMDrive and having enough RAM was a godsend.

7 minutes ago, Enhance said:
7 minutes ago, Elghinnarisa said:

Comparing games with compleatly different engines and gamestyles never works properly. There is a big difference between a MMO and a FPS. Try playing battlefield 3 with 200 people on your screen and see what happens, also add spell effects to their guns.

A stream is not someone one can use to measure how well a game runs either. I have quite often watched ArmA or dayZ streams, which i always wondred "why do they look so smooth? I bearly get 35 fps". Well when I ask, neither do they. 
But sitting infront of your computer and actually playing a game at 35fps might look like laggfeast, watching a video at 30fps will look good. Because a video is not the same thing.

Aerocool 750W, 32gb DDR4 2666mhz, i7-6700K.

With GPU on factory settings, game on everything maxed, 60 FPS everywhere, but in dungeons with too much effects (like 15-20 enemies in Shadow Grasp + cold snap + meteor shower) it drops to 40-45. 

FPS constant and unchanging 60 when setting "Optimize for combat" in game's video settings (removes some fancy glitter particles), even in raids with 20+ people.

I'm starting to think it's my PSU, since I only have 650W, it might not be enough to get it to run at full potential.

7 minutes ago, Elghinnarisa said:

Well I'm 150% Sure that a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz OCD to 3.80 (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz. Is stronger than a i5-2500k @ 4.3 Ghz +.

Unless the game is so badly optimized that it only uses 1 freaking core which in that case I take my statement back.

2 minutes ago, FioX said:

I'm starting to think it's my PSU, since I only have 650W, it might not be enough to get it to run at full potential.

Well I'm 150% Sure that a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz OCD to 3.80 (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz. Is stronger than a i5-2500k @ 4.3 Ghz +.

Unless the game is so badly optimized that it only uses 1 freaking core which in that case I take my statement back.

As for PSU: doubt it. With your current settings you'll need about 500-600W, having 650 should be quite enough.

But that last bit might be true. I checked my CPU use graph on current rig and only two of eight (virtual)cores were in any use at all. Whether it's because it was enough or because it just couldn't run on more than one is to be figured out.

Frame drop in high populated areas is considered a norm in mmo gameplay. Heck I have gtx 980ti and I occasionally get stutters once in awhile.

I dont use v-sync and have the Max slider to 120fps, yet I get fps struggles aswell hitting 55fps most of the time.

Its safe to say that they haven't fully optimize the game's graphics yet. 

I don't like comparing games, but if I can get stable 165fps in Phantasy Star Online 2 with crazy custom High settings in Nvidia Inspector, I should have no problems with this game

22 minutes ago, Enhance said:

i7-2700K shouldn't bottleneck it THAT hard, maybe to 70-80% performance - should be twice as much as BnS should need. BnS worked well and all on my good ol' i5-2500K.

Home PC, but being a software dev I often use it for work purposes. Plus I played around with RAMDrive and having enough RAM was a godsend.

I didn't mean it bottlenecks in Blade and soul, but it does in a lot of other games. :)

21 minutes ago, FioX said:

First of all, no, you are not 150% sure about that.

You are comparing a 3770k @ 3.8Ghz, vs a 2500k @ 4.3GHz.
In up to 4 threads, the 2500k will be faster. the IPC efficency between these two architectures are not that large. That is, how effective per clock cycle they are.
So in this case, if you use 4 cores or less, the 2500k will be superior. There is a reason as to why people recommend i5's if what you wanna do is gaming, because a i7 isn't automatically superior just because it is a i7.

And most games today still runs on 2-3 threads, a few uses 4 properly but not that many. So in most cases, a overclocked i5 will beat a stock(or close to stock) i7.

So in this case, yes, the 2500k @ 4.3Ghz is actually faster.

It is not your power supply either. It either works, or it doesn't.

If your power supply could not supply enough power to your computer, it would either overwork itself (and possibly break) or your computer would shutdown and you wouldn't understand anything.

A weaker power supply does not give worse performance.

Edit 2.0 : typo, another typo.

6 minutes ago, Razakhel said:

Well Crysis has always been one of the most resource-consuming game (at its own time at least). So there is a reason to this comparison, doesn't seem too weird to me.

Thats not relevant though. You are comparing apples and pears, bikes and cars, trucks and scooters.

They are compleatly different games, with compleatly different game engines, doing compleatly different things with compleatly different variables.

Do you think crysis would work on your computer if you make the world 300 times bigger and add 5000 people and god knows how many NPC's and scripted battles and mobs?
I don't.
And that is why you can't really compare two games that are so different and expect one game to run because you can run another.

In this case, yes, he shouldn't have such low FPS, but no, you cannot say "because A works, B should also work".
I get the point you make, but it is not relevant to this. These two games and game engines are nothing alike. You really cannot compare them.

Not to mention that the first crysis game was the only one of all the games that truly pushed the hardware. Crysis 2 and crysis 3 was nothing like the first one.
I remember the first crysis... I played the whole game at 15 fps, lowest settings. I didn't even know what a FPS was at that time.
last year I ran it on my current machine and maxed it with 200FPS. Which was quite fun to watch.

9 minutes ago, Razakhel said:

(and since it's NC they would know what they're doing)

*cough* Well, I don't mean to be the real party pooper here, but so far I haven't seen a confirmation of this.

I see saying "game A works perfectly" as an indicator for hitting a certain threshold in your rig settings. Sure, the things might rely differently on CPU/GPU/Memory/HDD, but running 60fps in a high-end modern AAA game should at least mean that your rig isn't from 90's. What you shouldn't expect though is for games to look similarly good while performing similarly fast. 

Either way, to the topic - enabling vsync magically solves fps issues sometimes in BnS, don't look that it's not logical to do, it just might work.

In another thread I suggested a person try using software like Afterburner to check GPU load (might also OC with it if need be), and that also somehow magically made it work. Still waiting for those official optimizations though.

Well OC'd my I7 to 4.6 since I have water cooling and my CPu can support it. Whens erver are backup (by theory given by some people here) I should have always 60FPS at max outside of cities and lowest 40fps in dungeons. If not then Bns needing more than 3.8Ghz is bs and it is indeed bad optimization.

Same problem here, my fps goes from 120 to 30 randomly with the highest or lowest resolutions. Muy laptop should be more than capable of running this game at highest resolution yet i can barely play on low settings. Vsync off, on, capped fps, I tried it all, nothing works. 

i7 4870@2.50 ghz

32 gb ram

gtx 980 m 

Just now, SLH said:

Same problem here, my fps goes from 120 to 30 randomly with the highest or lowest resolutions. Muy laptop should be more than capable of running this game at highest resolution yet i can barely play on low settings. Vsync off, on, capped fps, I tried it all, nothing works. 

i7 4870@2.50 ghz

32 gb ram

gtx 980 m 

well 2.50 is quite low :|.

However try putting VSync On some people have reported it helping.

Everything on max, every setting on, including VSYNC. Never, NEVER, dipped under 60fps, not matter where I was or how many people that was in the area.

My computer is about mid-range, except the CPU: Intel i7 6700K (Skylake), 16GB DDR4 (3000MHz), Asus Geforce GTX 970 OC and SSD-drives.

Lol... You guys still didnt notice there is option to atu detect best settings to play game?

Configuration -> Video -> Advanced

and there you have it. You can use auto settings between best video and FPS(optimal settings or something like that), or best FPS(Battle settings).

And about FPS going low in BNS: i remember from CH and RUS BNS that setting it as lowest settings dont rly help. If setting that auto settiing dont help try:

setting shadow, water,etc. at 1/2, ground distance at 2, and turn of antyalising. rest is up to you. I think 3-4 in all should be k at mid range PC.

Edit:

Almost forgot: You can always dl some prgram for your video card which set game options to optimal settings. its best way.

13 minutes ago, IntX said:

Everything on max, every setting on, including VSYNC. Never, NEVER, dipped under 60fps, not matter where I was or how many people that was in the area.

My computer is about mid-range, except the CPU: Intel i7 6700K (Skylake), 16GB DDR4 (3000MHz), Asus Geforce GTX 970 OC and SSD-drives.

Care to provide a screenshot with more than 10 players in same screenshot and FPS counter?

I am very curious to confirm this statement.

This almost seems like it could be a RAM issue. if you have alot of stuff on that comp of yours at only 8GB RAM your computer is probably bogging down trying to run multiple programs, BnS being a BIG one. my setup is GeForce Nvidia GTX 750Ti, i5-4460 @3.60Ghz, 32g RAM, 1920x1080 at 60Hz and i have absolutely no problems running this game on full settings in full screen mode. My recommendation would maybe be run in window mode?

15 minutes ago, ToeTagz said:

This almost seems like it could be a RAM issue. if you have alot of stuff on that comp of yours at only 8GB RAM your computer is probably bogging down trying to run multiple programs, BnS being a BIG one. my setup is GeForce Nvidia GTX 750Ti, i5-4460 @3.60Ghz, 32g RAM, 1920x1080 at 60Hz and i have absolutely no problems running this game on full settings in full screen mode. My recommendation would maybe be run in window mode?

Highly highly unlikely.

There´s basically no games today that benefit from more than 8 GB ram - and Windows 10 uses almost no ram, even for 10+ tabs open in the background.

Vram on the other hand is an issue for some tripple A titles, but its rare to see more than 4 GB vram used.

High End PC here:

I7-5820k(4.5) 980Ti, 16GB DDR4, SSD850Evo, MSI X99A Raider (win10) 

We do Blackwyrm daily 25-35people - FPS 10-18  

Game setting:  Basicaly have no impact, yes all 5 drops it like to singe digit FPS, but all 3/ all 4, opt-for combat, hide-other players, hide every player name, all 2 still same 10-18FPS (assuming theres more than 20 people around) 

GPU usage is around 6-11% at worst FPS drops. 

Now same spec but WIN7 = no major diffirence, overall +/-7 FPS over various places, in same 20-30man fights same 10-23FPS

Changed Video card to Nvidia 750Ti  on win 7 = no major diffirence, settings 3-4(+opt for combat) overall went from 121FPS -> 80-90FPS in open world, 40-60FPS near Misty Bank, BlackWyrm same 13-23FPS max. Again changing any graphical setting have no pig impact. 

This leads me basicaly to be unable to do any Open world activity without feeling severly criplled, game feels Okeis at around 40+FPS and Smooth at around 70+ FPS, butt at -30FPS skills become laggy and at -20FPS you kinda rely on skill sound mostly as majority of projectiles become invisible. 

Been asking people in guild here and there, yes people have FPS drops but its like 40-60 under Medium settings under same conditions. Tried various types of Fixes as High-Priority in Process, Power Mode - MAx, Win 10->Win7.  no luck.

Now i know optimization is an issue but just cant belive its so bad so that you can only play it in Arena. And i still cant find my Specs to be abe unable to handle it. 

Victorian i do agree with you, but aside from standard software you have to find out any other programs he/she may be running. I run capture ans TS and a couple other things in backround. they could be doing the same. It is fairly easy to chew up 8GB RAM.

Archived