Game randomly crashes at character screen after having played at least once

Froggyman

Long title, sorry. There is a bug affecting more than a few people that involves the game randomly crashing at the character select screen after accepting the agreement. Some people get a black screen, some people see a little bit of their character in "blurred motion" before it freezes, and some people's games just shut right off. Doing my research as I always try to do before posting, I am to understand that this particularly nasty bug has been known about for at least three of the four betas this game has had, and has not been fixed.

As a potential paying customer, that bothers me greatly. As it so happens, there exist workarounds to get past this literal game breaking bug for anyone that does not know, if you suffer from this, try scrolling the sidebar of the agreement before you accept by clicking on it and moving it down a little. The game will lag hard visibly, and then if you click accept after that point you should be good. This works for me, and I can log back in (I still can't PLAY the game, I'm in queue at 3000 or something even following their advice, but that's not a bug...)

People also claim that watching the animation in the background for a full cycle will also cause the game to jar or lag visibly for a second. This does not work for me.

Either way, no one should have to know the trick to "jimmy" your game to work, it should just work, and for this to exist for months...is a little intimidating. I'm just saying.

I believe I have this very similar problem as well.... I have Windows 8.1, and enough specs to handle game... Reinstalled all my Drivers + Microsoft C+ Visuals Stuff / Reinstalled Blade and Soul 2 times now / Repaired with Launcher... and restarted computer... To no avail. Still SAME problem...

Launch game > Login > Create Character (then 15 seconds into making character, everything freezes, game + computer.... have to restart)

Unfortunately uninstalled the game just a few minutes ago before seeing this post to try reinstalling it one last time... if the problem persists I will try your method and HOPE it works... I've spent god knows how many hours trying to make this game... It BETTER be worth all the effort..

@Froggyman Just booted up this game for the first time and it crashed at the character screen like you mentioned. Fortunately, your recommendation to scroll all the way through the Terms and Conditions worked like a charm and now I'm facing the queue boss. Thanks for your help!  ^_^ I agree that this is a strange bug and it's not very reassuring that there would be such a problem like this at launch.

Archived