Gameguard: y u no delete rootkit!? (Edit: They removed it TY NC!)

Raiya

OK So I gotta ask this but why did NC use this? Expecially after the crap that it caused before Aion was launched a few years ago?

I'd seriously considered giving this ago till I found this crap was installed with the game, its known to interfere with legitimate programs amongst other things and the last time I had a game with this it nearly destroyed a graphics card on me as it killed the software i was using to control the fans.

Realistically this kinda crapware will do nothing but hurt legitimate players and do nothing for botters and cheaters they just get updates around it within hours in some cases with other games thinking this kinda software reduces cheaters. It's meant for a korean internet cafe enviroment but its not suited to home gaming.

Will NC consider removing this in future because as much as I'd like to play this game theres not a hope in hell I'd touch a game with that kinda rootkit software bundled into it after all the trouble it causes. Archeage had hackshield, a similarly useless program that I refused allow to be used on my system at least until they saw some sense and got rid of it last year and Aion also dropped it so its definitely doable if NC wants to.

Also for the doubters, no I dont want it removed to cheat, I just dont allow rootkit type software to run on my system expecially a notoriously dodgy one that only works against legitimate players.

Edit: Looks like it was quietly removed in the last few days. Maybe they realised it wasnt worth its salt, probably had something to do with the razer issue but regardless NC TY for listening to us legitimate players for removing that pointless rootkit!

Btw for anyone who wants to remove its remnants from your systems theres a guide below to remove the affected files and registrys.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2549828

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, nCrazed said:

Would love to see GameGuard removed or at least replaced with something that doesn't prevent the game working under linux. Until then we're stuck playing on the current Russian version which is suboptimal to say the least. :(

I wanna play this tbh but at the minimum I'd need find a way to disable GG so I dont end up with it destroying something else on me :/ Really dunno why they bother putting in something thats utterly ineffective and downright intrusive expecially considering all the hype for this game as well :/

GG causes a lot of issues and I'm really not sure why publishers keep using it. It doesn't work, ever. I haven't seen it do anything in a game it's used for except hurt legitimate players, because it'll screw with iTunes, or gaming mouse/keyboard software, or even things like WTFast - none of which are hacking tools. What's worse, you can't disable it to get it to stop screwing with something if it's ruining your computer. It's just plain stupid that they added this in when it clearly doesn't stop botting or hacking.

Also, fun fact, simply uninstalling a game that uses it doesn't get rid of it since it's a rootkit. GJ, NC. This clearly worked for Aion (totally no bots there amirite?), so it makes sense that you implemented it here too.

GG is basically the STD of MMO's its an invasive rootkit type of software that can affect system performance and I refuse to allow it to run on my systems because of the damage it can cause. It's ultimately ineffective anways expecially since the only real ways of actually fighting cheaters/hackers etc is server side protection. These invasive programs just dont work and block legitimate players like myself from actually playing the game.

13 minutes ago, ZacBard said:

My antivirus program keeps blocking access to the hosts-file everytime I start the game.

This whole rootkit issue is really unnerving me, what a poop!

Which AV? Its probably being blocked because its trying to inject itself into your system processes and the AV is catching it before it can.

1 hour ago, Raiya said:

o.o

Edit: I cant delete posts it seems..... buggy forums -.-

Why would you want to?

This is a concern that should be addressed. This program seems to be widely known for being exceptionally buggy, damaging, and suspicious. I'm all for protection against cheats, but installing software that seems to literally be nigh impossible to remove and is effectively a rootkit is going too far. I don't need programs in the background that make my computer slower and less secure to play an MMO, or for any reason for that matter.

I may very well stop playing the game for this alone if it seems the program in question is dangerous enough.

1 minute ago, Melfice said:

Why would you want to?

This is a concern that should be addressed. This program seems to be widely known for being exceptionally buggy, damaging, and suspicious. I'm all for protection against cheats, but installing software that seems to literally be nigh impossible to remove and is effectively a rootkit is going too far. I don't need programs in the background that make my computer slower and less secure to play an MMO, or for any reason for that matter.

I may very well stop playing the game for this alone if it seems the program in question dangerous enough.

Was gonna delete an accidental post not the topic XD. Had to settle for an edit :P

In anycase I'd still want this damn rootkit off the game at least to play it since its well known to cause more problems than it solves and interferes with legitimate programs (that topic about razer for example I guarantee you is interferene from gameguard)

4 minutes ago, Raiya said:

Was gonna delete an accidental post not the topic XD. Had to settle for an edit :P

In anycase I'd still want this damn rootkit off the game at least to play it since its well known to cause more problems than it solves and interferes with legitimate programs (that topic about razer for example I guarantee you is interferene from gameguard)

Coincidently when I realized why you said that, I couldn't edit my post properly. Go figure.

I haven't noticed any particular issues since installing the game, but there seems to be some serious concern with how it operates. I'd really prefer not having to completely wipe my computer to get rid of a program like this as it would take a long time to restore it. If it turns out it comes down to overall security of the machine and not the program (as in, it only poses a threat if you have an unsecure system already) that may be a different beast entirely. So far however, it's not looking good.

1 minute ago, Melfice said:

Surprised there isn't a bigger outcry for something like this. It's an invasive program, doesn't that concern people?

Oh it does.

But even if we say it , I doubt NCSOFT will listen.

2 minutes ago, MrHmm said:

Oh it does.

Why's the thread so small then? Do people really care more about the que times and afk timers?

Unless the computer you play on is exclusively for playing games, this should be a huge red flag.

Just now, Melfice said:

Why's the thread so small then? Do people really care more about the que times and afk timers?

Unless the computer you play on is exclusively for playing games, this should be a huge red flag.

I dunno I am not Professor X,

I cant access the brain of people to find out what they are thinking about :O.

Lets just say:

Its how the world works, live with it :)

4 minutes ago, MrHmm said:

Oh it does.

They have removed it once before. In aion because of the sheer amount of crap it was causing. Was never reimplimented. As things stand theres no point in having it as it currently stands right now since its basically broken by cheaters anyways.

Archived