Locking servers is unacceptable. This is now a failure of a launch.

DisasterMaster

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over a few decades I've seen MMO's follow 2 trends when it comes to release traffic management:

1) fewer servers, higher loads. This irritates the players more intially, but helps the company more in the long run. It means less Database/server management once populations die down. it also saves them upfront release costs, which are probably sky high compared to maintenance costs in the long run.

2) more server, less load. Players like the absence of queues and bandwidth issues (DC's, lag, etc.). downside is that populations get stretched out, and eventually the company has to merge data, which adds to overall costs, and often budgets are often streamlined (or gutted for a better word) post launch, so merging servers later has a huge toll on a skinny budget, when it was much fatter on release. That, and players tend to gripe about scores, competition, and in general when they're forced to merge with other servers.

NC obviously chose #1. Overall, it benefits operational costs in the short run, but I'm not sure which one is overall better. I understand that everyone frustrated right now will obviously say that #2 is better...but at the same time, once populations declined...would we be happy with dead servers for X years until they can get the servers moved? we'd probably be griping then too.

and when it comes to the big three (mushin, windy-sumthin, and one other, can't remember) I honestly would not expect access to those at any time in the near future for new creates. at all. Not being trite, just pointing out that even if people stopped making new toons there...we still have tons of players playing on other servers right now waiting for the load to decrease. I'm pretty sure they'll jump back on the loaded servers as soon as they can. Heck, we even have a guild on Old Man Cho right now appropriately labeled "Mushin rejects". So....yeah....even once bandwidth drops, the big 3 will still be locked. it's a reality I think we need to accept for now. 

5 minutes ago, Nemesia said:

so... 8.19 UTC and Windrest still closed... why NCSoft? why you post this sh1t

and you dont do it?

I couldn't agree more with all of you guys, NCSoft, I'd expect this kind of things by other publishers but I'd have never seen it coming from you. You really aren't doing a good job. You're gonna lose a huge amount of players if you keep doing this, you should care about what people are asking. Some people in europe woke up at 5/6 to create a character on Windrest since they followed the schedule, and you just decided to change it without any respect towards the players. 
Now open the servers already or you're gonna give a really bad image of yourself.

24 hours since i gave the support the name of the chars and items i want to transfer from mushin... My friends are playing, im *cricket*ing stuck here.

THANK YOU NCSOFT, THANK YOU! Thats how you kill Hype.

Now it looks like my friends are having a head start, not me. Im not wasting a single cent on this unprepared game.

15 minutes ago, Cngxxgh said:

The schedule just got removed, I can't access anymore....they have to be really stupid to think people wouldn't notice.

Yeah, same for me. access denied, 1 hour ago the schedule was up. This is really... poor. We need to start making screenshots.

19 minutes ago, Cngxxgh said:

The schedule just got removed, I can't access anymore....they have to be really stupid to think people wouldn't notice.

Probably got removed because the queues keep going up on EVERY server. They are transferring people to other servers through tickets, but then those fill up and get a queue and the process continues. I think Hajoon is the only NA server that is without queue at this point and that may not last much longer.

7 minutes ago, Tabouli said:

Probably got removed because the queues keep going up on EVERY server. They are transferring people to other servers through tickets, but then those fill up and get a queue and the process continues. I think Hajoon is the only NA server that is without queue at this point and that may not last much longer.

I've been waiting for my transfer since friday. The queue is stronger on the support section.

FFXIV has a similar system where they lock out their most populated servers except for certain times. 

Idk why you guys seem to think that because they have a schedule, they will always follow it. The game just launched, there's bound to be a few issues.

1 minute ago, Ephemiel said:

FFXIV has a similar system where they lock out their most populated servers except for certain times. 

Idk why you guys seem to think that because they have a schedule, they will always follow it. The game just launched, there's bound to be a few issues.

My problem is not with server locking. I'm actually grateful that they are doing it. I just wish they would offer servers that didn't have queues for me to make a character on.

3 minutes ago, Ephemiel said:

Actually I and others wouldn't be so pissed if they communicated with us. It's not hard to give 15m updates on launch day. And yes, we expect schedule to be followed, they post it so we can adjust us to it. Some people literally took time from something else to make sure they could match this schedule.

Issues are to be expected, a proper treatment for your customers is also...meaning they should tell us up ahead if they won't be able to meet said schedule.

I can't even log in to export my character appereance and start in the server my friends are :D and I have to erease everything I did on headstart just to be in the same server as them :DD But then again, why would I want to play with the character I did the headstart if I have to wait 1.5hs to log in :DDD

GG 

Archived