Account-bound Costumes?

LeSwaQQa

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i certainly grabbed the bait:/ i thought it to be obvious that whatever you purchased on your account would apply to all your characters on that account. if i knew it was unique to one character i wouldnt spend a penny piece, lesson learned though :D

On 1/18/2016 at 6:06 PM, TimelessDbz said:

what made you guys think costumes were account bound ? $15-$20 a costume is steal to most advent mmo players. Dragons nest is the same way costumes aren't character bound and if you wanted a really good costume it would cost $30.  Vindicuts is the same way. I could keep listing other MMO's that do character bound items/costumes instead of account bound. 

Other games have nothing to do with my idea of reasonable costume price on a game. 30 is outrageous and I would seriously consider quitting a cash grab game after seeing that kind of prices. If you really need some under junk too to equip them, the costume is pretty much at the prices of a cheap pants and shirt in real life! (That company seems to know that there are rich whales who like the game enough to pay anything, no matter what they ask...)

The current prices were completely fine until I heard the costume I was looking for would be character bound... Definitely would've gone for a refund if I would've bought it before hearing about this (should be stated on the store page but guess they want people to not know before the purchase). I encourage you to send a ticket if you weren't satisfied with a permanent purchase like that because they should be smart enough to keep paying customers feeling satisfied with their service.

I understand that the game doesn't support account wide outfits so the easy solution would be to slash the price down for at least 30%. Alternatively the initial price could stay as is and each re-purchased costume price could be cut down by 70-75%.

btw. Out of permanent items only character slots are actually cheap. You can easily see why when everything else is character bound and someone fine with this system would just bring them more money in with the new character.  Additional skill pages are 10 each for each character. Might have ended up with 1 and eventually 2 extra pages if they were account wide but knowing the money would be complete waste on my second character, I choose the inconvenience of taking notes of my builds and do everything manually. With current system I would be fine with a maximum of a fiver.

What's the point of the wardrobe system if the costumes isn't accont bound?

As fun as the game is, I knew it had flaws but sad news just keep piling up each day I read forums/reddit.

This basically turns me off from farming/buying more costumes as it's clearly pointless if need to redo it on my alts.

I have not seen this much near-unanimous agreement on a game system in some time.

With the NA market being as it is,  this function is woefully outdated and needs assessment to bring it up to the competitive functionality of other MMO's that are currently popular. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but premium membership and cosmetics seem to be the primary source of disposable income from the players. With one of those being unjustifiable in its price, where is the money going to come from? 

Come on. Do the smart thing! 

On 1/18/2016 at 10:06 AM, TimelessDbz said:

what made you guys think costumes were account bound ? $15-$20 a costume is steal to most advent mmo players. Dragons nest is the same way costumes aren't character bound and if you wanted a really good costume it would cost $30.  Vindicuts is the same way. I could keep listing other MMO's that do character bound items/costumes instead of account bound. 

On 1/18/2016 at 10:21 AM, Sassychan said:

$10-15 (800-1200 Ncoins) for perm costumes seems fair. 

It's really sad that this is now the normal thinking for the new MMO player. It would probably blow your mind if I told you that it used to be, MMO costumes were FREE. Waaaaaaat

Ok so the costumes you buy in NCstore are NOT accound bound. That is a shame. I guess I'll wait until I found the ultimate pretty costume and then purchase it...

For $20 I expect the costumes in Hongmoon store to be account-bound. There are SO MANY costumes in Blade and Soul to PURCHASE (that will be released gradually)  that you need to be  a RICH SAUDI PRINCE to get them all (seriously have you guys not watched videos on wardrobe items in korea? SO MANY OPTIONS!! LITERALLY 300+!)

I will not accept a price increase if they turn to account bound. Ridiculous!

EDIT** If you make the costumes account bound I WILL PURCHASE LIMITED TIME COSTUMES FOR FUTURE CHARACTERS... AKA WARLOCK CLASS... so please NCsoft USA/EU...Think about this.

You know, that makes me laugh when I think about it.

Why spend money on limited time offers, when they are already Limited Existence?

GW2 makes it much more appealing for the exact reasons the poster above me made; they are limited, but any alts I make, past or future is going to have them. That makes the purchase ten times more justifiable to me. When you risk losing those items from them being a skin or limited in how they can be distributed by your account, then you are not paying for something that is yours. You are renting a look, not owning one.

In GW2, when you purchase a cosmetic, it is yours. On your whole account, usable whenever and however you want. That gives the player a feeling of ownership. (Albeit a false one, since it is just pixels on another server.) When it is a temporary, easily lost, fleeting thing, then there is going to be an immeasurable amount more resistance to dropping money on it. There is no investment. It's a fire and forget product with the same amount of security and limitation as a consumable.

Even with this 'mailing' item they have proposed, you can still lose it from a character deletion, and have to manually shift the item around to get it from one character to another. Oh yeah, not to mention the option comes at a premium.

Of all the things in Blade and Soul I would love to see changed that would make the biggest Quality of Life improvement while simultaneously making store items more justifiable, an account-bound costume wardrobe would have the biggest impact on me as a player and a customer.

I am fairly sure that a good portion of the NA and EU community agree.

6 hours ago, Changels said:

It's really sad that this is now the normal thinking for the new MMO player. It would probably blow your mind if I told you that it used to be, MMO costumes were FREE. Waaaaaaat

Yeah this is also a F2P game. Most MMO's I played back in the day had monthly subs. However I do think non premium members should get the wardrobe as well. Kind of silly that they don't+

Why are you complaining about outfits being high priced when most of the things are free in-game? Like soulstones, etc. It's cosmetics. Another thing for the Hongmoon store is that because its priced at that, if you buy you support NCSoft. =)

8 hours ago, Changels said:

A new MMO player? Me? I have played many MMOs since before you were born.

2 hours ago, snowowl said:

Why are you complaining about outfits being high priced when most of the things are free in-game? Like soulstones, etc. It's cosmetics. Another thing for the Hongmoon store is that because its priced at that, if you buy you support NCSoft. =)

I agree with you in that if you want to support the game, you should spend money. I am not debating that in the slightest. I am also glad there is a free option. The problem is that when one store asks you to pay the same amount of money for a cup of hot water as another charges for a full electric kettle that you can use to make hot water constantly, you have to really weigh up where you want your money to go and how good the investment is.

Sure, these costumes may be really awesome and pretty and worth a good penny, but they are temporary, limited and - currently - not reusable. Were I not aware of other businesses and the standards of practice across the Western Market MMO giants, I might be interested or persuaded, but I have a ton of really awesome Electric Kettles sitting in my GW2 closest and this Cup of Hot Water NCSoft is offering just seems.... well, lacking.

With the costume prices at their current cost it just ensures that my alts will only ever have 1 cash shop costume each and i'll only buy the costumes I REALLY like for my main.

If they were account bound/lower priced or if subbed players got a 20% discount on cash shop purchases I would buy them simply to fulfil my need to see my wardrobe spots not greyed out even if I didn't particularly like the outfit lol.

Not to mention that with the conversion rate from Australia I would be paying $24.70 for ONE outfit. No Thanks NCsoft.

1 minute ago, Trix said:

With the costume prices at their current cost it just ensures that my alts will only ever have 1 cash shop costume each and i'll only buy the costumes I REALLY like for my main.

If they were account bound or lower priced at least I would buy them simply to fulfil my need to see my wardrobe spots not greyed out even if I didn't particularly like the outfit lol.

Not to mention that with the conversion rate from Australia I would be paying $24.70 for ONE outfit. No Thanks NCsoft.

Agreed.  At current prices, I haven't bought a single one, as I'm waiting for an outfit that is perfect for a character before buying.  If the current ones were account wide, I would have already spent $45. (both x-mas ones, and the red/black nighty like thing).

(Note:  I should point out that I did get the Masterpack, so I guess technically they already got my money, but I'd argue the point is still valid.

On 1/30/2016 at 6:27 PM, GnatB said:

Agreed.  At current prices, I haven't bought a single one, as I'm waiting for an outfit that is perfect for a character before buying.  If the current ones were account wide, I would have already spent $45. (both x-mas ones, and the red/black nighty like thing).

(Note:  I should point out that I did get the Masterpack, so I guess technically they already got my money, but I'd argue the point is still valid.

Ultimately you have already received what you paid for - even if said things may have been marketed to be better than they actually were - but you are correct on the topic of future / continued revenue, I feel. Had they been account bound, I would have paid for at least three of the costumes in the store, and I would be playing right now instead of patiently waiting for the Warlock release, because I would have incentive to play an alt.

Blade and Soul is a 1-main game, in my eyes at least. All alts are pretty much to fill holes or carry trash for you. I have zero reason to invest in any of them.

On 18/01/2016 at 2:06 AM, TimelessDbz said:

Instead of mentioning games made by Nexon, you should just say "Nexon does things poorly, and here's how they keep taking my money"

I don't think you understand the idea of improving things for the customer. Account bound items are by no means a new thing, sure it means NCS isn't making as much but for those players who have the money to spend they will, there is plenty in the store from bags to enlarge inventory/vault to membership and consumables. I would argue it might even make people who are on the fence about getting outfits go ahead and buy them since now all their characters can wear it. Some people have to be smart with their money and can only throw a few bucks at things they like, value for money is always a good thing.

Its funny to see complaints like this for a game that is COMPLETELY FREE TO PLAY.  Any costumes you choose to buy is your own choice.  The costumes do NOTHING but add a personal touch to your own characters.  Why was this thread even created in the first place?

• 2 weeks later...

Paying for a monthly and not having costumes i bought account wide? seriously!?! hello the rip-off. Either drop the cost of the costumes if you want them character bound or just make them account wide for that price (honnestly, it's 15$-20$ for some graphics on ONE character). whats the point off the wardrobe then? Think i'll just stop the membership then whats the point?

On 3/2/2016 at 10:08 PM, Seriphim said:

Its funny to see complaints like this for a game that is COMPLETELY FREE TO PLAY.  Any costumes you choose to buy is your own choice.  The costumes do NOTHING but add a personal touch to your own characters.  Why was this thread even created in the first place?

honestly dude, mayby you play it for free, but for players who paie, kinda sucks to paie about 25$ a month and having that kind of shit.

If the costumes were priced any lower, NCSoft would immediately go bankrupt.  By the way, to keep up with anticipated inflation, the cost of costumes will increase by approximately 10% bi-annually.  If the prices are not increased, NCSoft will immediately go bankrupt.  When the prices of the costumes increase, you will no longer be able to use any costumes you currently own until you pay the difference between what you last paid and the current price of the costume.  If you do not pay the difference, NCSoft will immediately go bankrupt.

15 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

If the costumes were priced any lower, NCSoft would immediately go bankrupt.  By the way, to keep up with anticipated inflation, the cost of costumes will increase by approximately 10% bi-annually.  If the prices are not increased, NCSoft will immediately go bankrupt.  When the prices of the costumes increase, you will no longer be able to use any costumes you currently own until you pay the difference between what you last paid and the current price of the costume.  If you do not pay the difference, NCSoft will immediately go bankrupt.

Funny how I've seen games with MUCH lower costumes prices and they still haven't gone bankrupt. You paie expensions for that price dude. Subscribe 3 months, it's like you've paid a FULL game. There is a difference between greed and making profite while players can still enjoy every aspect of the game

2 hours ago, LeFou said:
3 hours ago, Meerkat said:

Funny how I've seen games with MUCH lower costumes prices and they still haven't gone bankrupt. You paie expensions for that price dude. Subscribe 3 months, it's like you've paid a FULL game. There is a difference between greed and making profite while players can still enjoy every aspect of the game

Wow this post is either total BS or quite funny.

Thing is with businesses, if you sell something for say... $100 then maybe 10 people will buy it, but if you sell that same item for $50 then 100 people will buy it, this is a known fact in business. Now we're talking about a game here were the costumes don't take resources to make (only the artists (etc) time, so once they've made one they don't have to spend anything to 'make' and sell others, so it would make even more sense in this case (from a business standpoint) to sell things lower so more people will buy it.

Also the whole point of microtransactions was for them to be Micro, when something is cheap a lot more people are prone to impulse buying, a reason why the mobile games market is making so much profit and why so many companies are moving into it.

On 1/29/2016 at 9:09 AM, Changels said:

*so I reread some of this post and the fact that it is 4:00 am for me right now is definitely showing*

Eh, I've played most MMO's that have been released since EverQuest 1. Let's see.. when did cash shops start coming about. Well, I don't think it was Runescape. That operated on a subscription model. Back in 2012, they unleashed a cash shop. Let's see, their character bound costumes go for $7.00 to $12.00 on a super old school 2001 2D game. Let's see, 25,000 nexon cash is $25.00 USD. An outfit on sale in Maple Story, character bound of course, is $4.90. I'm not finding these free outfits you are speaking of in even the oldest MMORPGs around. What about EverQuest? Well, that didn't even have outfits. In fact, in old MMORPGs, you just wore your armor. Any older than Ultima and we're getting into MUDs.

What about ones that started out with cash shops, like Knight Online? If I'm not mistaken, I started on Knight Online around its launch, and that for sure had a cash shop. I don't think that one even had costumes. You just had your armor.

I mean, let's get real here. In the MMORPGs I've played, the costumes have ALWAYS been character bound (ok, not exactly true, but they weren't account wide, but most allow costumes to be traded. HOWEVER, once equipped, they can no longer be traded in the majority of MMORPGs, including Tera) and they've usually been $10-$15 if not more. Depends on how derp they were. For example, none of the Vindictus costumes are derp, hence they are more. Those outfits can easily run you $32.00 a pop, character bound on buy of course. Plus you need to buy inner garments : |.

I think the costume prices in this game are completely fair. It's also completely reasonable for them to not be account wide and even character bound upon buying them! The only MMORPG I can think of with account bound outfits that you can get for free is Guild Wars 2. That one is definitely a lone wolf in that regard.

All in all, I think you guys are expecting Guild Wars 2 prices and a Guild Wars 2 wardrobe. This ain't no Guild Wars 2. This is a Korean MMORPG. Also, Guild Wars 2 is pretty freaking new. The games that other dude mentioned, like Vindictus, are definitely older.

It's really sad that this is now the normal thinking for the new MMO player. It would probably blow your mind if I told you that we didn't even get the option of costumes back in the day. When costumes were released, they were hella expensive. Why, these prices are pretty dern modest : ).

Now, if we want to get into serious bs, it would have to be the weapon skin system and the dragon pouch prices.

On 18/01/2016 at 10:40 PM, Bridesmaid said:

They won't make them account bound. Lets compare Tera( another Korean Dev) 12000 Store cash for 100 dollars costumes cost 800-2200 the large amount including a couple of head slot items. Or for 10 dollars 1000 coins, 20 dollars 2200, or 40 dollars 4400. So costumes there run 10-20 dollars.

They're character bound. loot boxes for special costumes run 150 coins each or 3 for 450 or 10 for 1200

Again I wouldn't hold my breath for them to change it. I don't think Aion they are account bound, could be wrong havent played in a couple years, same NCSoft

There are a ton of differences between Tera and this.

In Tera you can sell any costume on the AH, and if you level from 0 to max, with the gold you gather just by leveling, you can buy a whole bunch of costumes from the AH.

In Tera they also have huge sales, costumes costing less than a days worth of daily quests sometimes.

They also have different versions of costumes, common ones that would be cheap on AH, and rare ones that look better and cost a fortune.

You can also open ingame boxes with keys you get for free from quests, and you can get stuff worth a huge amount of gold.

I played a ton of Tera, the only thing i bought was Sub, never bought coins or items, and i still have around 500$ of cosmetics, mounts/costumes/weapon skins, for which i paid 0 cash.

NOW HERE COMES BNS.

WHERE U CANT GET ANYTHING WITHOUT REAL MONEY.

good comparison ... not

Archived