LeSwaQQa

Account-bound Costumes?

Recommended Posts

their account wide once you get them either from the over priced packs or GTN and then give 200-600 voins to unlock them for the account

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gentle   

It doesn't make sense to be fair that the costumes are character bound and not account bound. My question is simple, What is the point of a wardrobe system? When it is not expanded over all character on said accounts? I understand some if not most normal costumes/outfits are rewarded throughout game-play, but the premium ones; 

1. They are far to 'highly' priced. I mean some of us did spend $125 on Master Packs...

and 2. Why can they not be account bound? Is there perhaps a shared warehouse? If not, like others have mentioned - Its just a cash grab.

Edited by Gentle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gorango   

Glad I read this before I bought one. That is complete BS. Purchased costumes should be account wide. I dont see why it isnt. As more people realize they are not account wide and word gets out, will probably mean less people will buy them. I hope we get a response. So disappointed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Freyar   

Wardrobe should be account-wide for purchased costumes. Storage for said costumes should also be free as they've been paid for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Imazeal   

Also, I think most of the costumes also are drops in dungeons and in the world. If you really want a particular costume and don't want to pay for it. Grind it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be much more inclined to spend real money on as many costumes they can offer as long as they were account-wide. In the end, the restriction may end up costing more money than NCSOFT would make otherwise. I hope they listen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Naunet said:

Just because some MMOs have equally (or more) crappy pricing systems doesn't mean BnS has to follow suit. There are other NCSoft-related titles (GW2 and WS) that offer costumes that are under $10 AND account-wide. :P They clearly can see and understand that such pricing is welcome.

City of Heroes did before they were closed down, all store purchases were account unlocks. Individual characters had unique unlocks based on questing, and achievements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Belkov said:

The costumes and weapon skins share the same sin. There is no info in game store about one time use skins and bound costumes to character. This practice feels very shady. :(

What part of can not trade in the items description were you unable to understand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Naoya   

I would also be more inclined to buy basically every cash costume if they were account-wide; normal drops not being able to be shared between characters is completely understandable and grinding them out isn't too bad. As some have pointed out, Aion's costumes were usually per character/one time use skin over an item, but they were also half the price and many were trade-able prior to skinning. I've been too spoiled by GW2 giving account-wide costumes that are also solely for cosmetics for less than what one of the BnS ones would cost, it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TimelessDbz said:

what made you guys think costumes were account bound ? $15-$20 a costume is steal to most advent mmo players. Dragons nest is the same way costumes aren't character bound and if you wanted a really good costume it would cost $30.  Vindicuts is the same way. I could keep listing other MMO's that do character bound items/costumes instead of account bound. 

i was just saying they should atleast make them available if there gunna bring up the prices  i wouldn't mind paying $30-40 for account bound costume instead of buying the same thing 4 times the thing about account bound is it should be acceptable for all races and genders and would auto generate to that said character so no error when putting it on or opening from boxes they can still leave singles up for those who only main one thing and then a second option for account wide for people who just have more then one maybe?
dont get me wrong i play alot of mmo's ad a good fee that has *cricket* up RNG boxs is tera you can spend $100 and not get even one costume lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GnatB   
1 hour ago, dragoaskani said:

What part of can not trade in the items description were you unable to understand?

 

The part where giving an item to an alt is considered trading, perhaps?  Curiously, "Account Bound" items still say you can't trade them, but you *can*, in fact, give them to an alt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all.
 
So this opinion is my own and I am sure not everyone follows the same thinking, but here is my mental state on costumes as they are.
 
In the current system, the costumes are fairly expensive and they are one use. Now the expensive part... well that is always going to be an individual taste thing. Character exclusivity is not helping sell me on them though. There are a bunch of costumes on the store (and more to come down the road) but because I know it will only work for one character, I am not inclined to spend the money unless I see a costume which matches my character exactly. Let's say I find two of these said costumes, I would get them, then settle. I would have to either come into a lot of spare cash or really REALLY like the costume to buy it. Generally not going to happen on every store update.
 
Now if the costumes were shared, my tolerance for the pricing goes way up. Even if I don't like the costume that much, I'll still buy it because it looks kinda cool maybe, and some alt may look pretty good in it. Perhaps I'll get bored and use it for a change. Much more justifiable to do when I know I don't have to keep re-buying it. As a result, I would spend much, much more money on cosmetics.
 
Scenario 1 - Character Exclusive) I buy - at tops - 2 costumes per character I 'main' because I am sure as hell's teeth leaving out paid costumes for alts. Say that is at max 3 characters, that is 6 costumes. Total. Ever. And even then, that is a generous estimate.
 
Scenario 2 - Account Bound) As they are shared, I drop the money for the costumes I want (lets assume I double buy some costume in the first scenario, so we'll say 4 initially) I also buy a few costumes for my Cat, some of the costumes I couldn't quite justify and then when new costumes come out, I feel much more happy to drop cash for basic and good ones instead of just exceptional ones. Result: More initial expenses, plus a steady flow of cash from justifiable costume and cosmetic purchases.
 
I am not saying costumes that have to be earned in game should be shared, just purchasable ones. Make them available upon login, retrieve them and store them in the wardrobe / use as required. When a new character is made, apply those costumes to the character at creation for immediate use. (Just make it so they can't be destroyed or sold or traded or some such.
 
Right now, B&S is Scenario one, Guild Wars 2 - which I have spent waaaaay too much cash on for the cosmetics - is closer to Scenario 2.
 
I like this game, it's style and it's gameplay a lot. I am willing to spend the mulah to get stuff, but I would like to see the publishers meet us half way and make them worth the cost.

 

(X-Posted from my closed thread)

 

 

Edited by SilverBones
Clarifications

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the limiting on the costumes to one character, I will not be buying anything until I know what class and server I like to play on. Right now I am not going to buy something and get to level 45 and not like the feel off the class or the players on the server.

 

Until I know what I like to play, I will not be plopping down my extra hard earned money.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gorango   

 

On 1/19/2016 at 9:11 PM, SilverBones said:

Hey all.
 
So this opinion is my own and I am sure not everyone follows the same thinking, but here is my mental state on costumes as they are.
 
In the current system, the costumes are fairly expensive and they are one use. Now the expensive part... well that is always going to be an individual taste thing. Character exclusivity is not helping sell me on them though. There are a bunch of costumes on the store (and more to come down the road) but because I know it will only work for one character, I am not inclined to spend the money unless I see a costume which matches my character exactly. Let's say I find two of these said costumes, I would get them, then settle. I would have to either come into a lot of spare cash or really REALLY like the costume to buy it. Generally not going to happen on every store update.
 
Now if the costumes were shared, my tolerance for the pricing goes way up. Even if I don't like the costume that much, I'll still buy it because it looks kinda cool maybe, and some alt may look pretty good in it. Perhaps I'll get bored and use it for a change. Much more justifiable to do when I know I don't have to keep re-buying it. As a result, I would spend much, much more money on cosmetics.
 
Scenario 1 - Character Exclusive) I buy - at tops - 2 costumes per character I 'main' because I am sure as hell's teeth leaving out paid costumes for alts. Say that is at max 3 characters, that is 6 costumes. Total. Ever. And even then, that is a generous estimate.
 
Scenario 2 - Account Bound) As they are shared, I drop the money for the costumes I want (lets assume I double buy some costume in the first scenario, so we'll say 4 initially) I also buy a few costumes for my Cat, some of the costumes I couldn't quite justify and then when new costumes come out, I feel much more happy to drop cash for basic and good ones instead of just exceptional ones. Result: More initial expenses, plus a steady flow of cash from justifiable costume and cosmetic purchases.
 
I am not saying costumes that have to be earned in game should be shared, just purchasable ones. Make them available upon login, retrieve them and store them in the wardrobe / use as required. When a new character is made, apply those costumes to the character at creation for immediate use. (Just make it so they can't be destroyed or sold or traded or some such.
 
Right now, B&S is Scenario one, Guild Wars 2 - which I have spent waaaaay too much cash on for the cosmetics - is closer to Scenario 2.
 
I like this game, it's style and it's gameplay a lot. I am willing to spend the mulah to get stuff, but I would like to see the publishers meet us half way and make them worth the cost.

 

(X-Posted from my closed thread)

 

 

 

This is what i wanted to say. Purchased costumes should be account bound. Scenario 2 is what i think most people feel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What really got me is how the Silver Dragon outfit from buying 1 year of premium membership is also character bound? Something like that in particular should be account bound, for the amount of money you spent to get it as a reward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zarec   

To be honest, their marketing department needs to be fired.  Not even EA does this granted they usually require you to spend a bit more money to make them account wide but yeah.  Not even the Silver dragon (the year sub outfit) is account bound.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zarec   
1 minute ago, Valerius77 said:

Pretty much this game is just stuck in the past.  Most games nowadays use account bound based items.

It will cause the game to get a lot of bad reviews which will hurt the popularity of the game.  Guess NCsoft and the US devs did not want this game to succeed from the getgo.  Players pay more attention to the player reviews than the paid for reviews that many game review sites are known to put out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, according to the stream today, there are no planned changes to make the costumes account bound. It was followed by a very weakly-pacifying 'but anything is possible' but reading between the lines, I don't think this is something we are going to see here. Mores the shame because I am fairly sure that is a large source of income they will be missing out on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hitokiri   
On 1/18/2016 at 4:59 PM, LeSwaQQa said:

I think the costumes that you buy from the cash shop should be account-bound and not bound to one character. The current prices for outfits are a bit too high if  they're only going to be bound to one character. I was surprised by this when I logged in to my 2nd character thinking I would have the outfits that I bought. What do you guys think?

 

I agree here. To buy same stuff on one account is nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Freyar   
On 1/22/2016 at 11:29 PM, SilverBones said:

So, according to the stream today, there are no planned changes to make the costumes account bound. It was followed by a very weakly-pacifying 'but anything is possible' but reading between the lines, I don't think this is something we are going to see here. Mores the shame because I am fairly sure that is a large source of income they will be missing out on.

 

I figured it'd be their stance.. but the least they could do is not penalize me and make me have to sacrifice space if I'm paying cash for a costume (and then lose premium).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2016 at 6:21 PM, Gorango said:

Glad I read this before I bought one. That is complete BS. Purchased costumes should be account wide. I dont see why it isnt. As more people realize they are not account wide and word gets out, will probably mean less people will buy them. I hope we get a response. So disappointed 

I wish I had seen this before I bought one. I was even logged into the wrong char when I purchased so now she's stuck with it and my main has nothing. :( No way will I give them any more money.  Not to mention I cant even log in to play on my day off!! lol..and that just sucks.  Idk what is wrong with this company, I'm not familiar with ncsoft personally, the only MMO's I've played over the last several years are SWtOR & Elder Scrolls and I was hoping this game would be just as enjoyable to me based on what I heard about it, but have experienced nothing but issues so far. :( 

Edited by SheGamez77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw a post by one of the staff saying they are working on an item you can buy that will make a Hongmoon-purchased Costume transferable via mail to another character on your account.

 

Well, it's a step in the right direction... aside from the whole part about charging even more money on top of their already quite pricey costumes to share them among your characters. It's... kind of like a pharmacist selling pills but telling you that you can only access them and take them while you are standing in the pharmacy. Then telling you to pay again if you want the bottle to put them in, so you carry them around to different places with ease.

 

Granted, that is there right I suppose and truthfully a pharmacist is not the greatest example, but when the market you are reaching out to has come to enjoy, expect and play MMO's that provide a bottle with their pills, then why the hell would you shop for an inferior, more expensive product?

 

It makes absolutely zero sense to me.

 

Yes - I am glad they are making steps towards account bound costumes. That's awesome. I dig it.

No - I am not glad they are charging money to do it, that is is still using the defunct system of mail and it is going to be charged at a premium, on top of their already expensive costumes.

 

Also, bear in mind that the costumes coming out are already available in the other markets. The money used to make them has already been made and spent, so it's not like they are charging us for labor and materials or anything to make these costumes. There is a plethora of stuff available from the other markets to flood the Hongmoon store with and it is all awesome... but why are we paying new release prices for gear that is way, way out of date? Essentially, all we are getting is a C&P of some mesh, skin and rigging file from a costume that was made months ago. A file. A physically non-existent, already completed file in our client folder. No money (aside from paying the people recompiling our build for patching, perhaps) needs to be spent or used for development.

 

Also, as a side note, the Japanese Store has an option to buy some of the in-game boss drops, such as the Infernal Lord and Lycan base costumes. May as well add them in too. This artificial content gate is not needed on items already available and only seems to add to the notion that NCSoft may be embarking on a Money Grab operation.

 

Notably, that is not my view. I understand the need for a game publisher to make money. That's fine. This costume and cosmetic business just seems like a problem when you are coming to a market with high expectations and a willingness to part with money for cosmetics over pretty much everything else. When you do not meet the market expectation of the player base though, these 'pay-even-more' solutions just won't cut it I feel.

 

I really hope you guys make a change for the better towards a true Account-based Wardrobe. I have a bunch of disposable income on a monthly basis ready to make my characters look prettier, but right now, GW2 and Warframe are still going to get it over BnS - because the return on investment on those two games is so much more appealing and justifiable. Since costumes seem to be the main source of income for the Hongmoon store... well, I am not sure people like me are going to help you guys float your costs.

 

Please NCSoft. Do it for yourselves if anything. I want to give you money. I really do. But, like Lamborghini, I will never shell out money for you, when I can purchase a fleet of BMW's (sigh) or Audi's (God help me) for the same amount of money. Come on, you live in the Bay Area. You know the kind of people who drive BMW's and Audi's around here.

 

You could be the affordable Tesla. The reasonably-priced MacLaren.

 

Be. Those. Guys.

 

 

Edited by SilverBones
Some elaboration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now