why so long time to delete a character

Miz70

Hello! Today after a little restart (i rolled from sin to summoner) i was astonished by deleting time. Why deleting a level 16 character require 6 days ? I am an alter maniac and i will often change things but i cannot understand the long time required. Is this an Hidden "trap" made by NCsoft so if you have no more character slot you have to buy with NCcoins another one?

Please NC let us delete character instantly as we can do in many other MMO. 

Thanks in advance  

The main reason NCSoft has made a 6 day deletion time for characters above a certain level is because they don't want someone getting hacked and having their character[s] wrongfully deleted (This also includes a family member going to said person's computer and hitting the delete button for said character[s]). Another reason is that if a player goes to delete their character then decides later to keep said character then they have time to reverse the process. Once a character is deleted the player won't be able to recover said character. This is the reason for the longer deletion times.

level 16 character require 6 days to delete. In my opinion is too much. a Day is fair but 6 days is an issue for the account owner. I have played many mmo this is the second where i have this issue (the first was Archeage). I hope that NC will lower delete timing ie. 1-10 istant 10-30 1 day 30-45 two days. 

I would like to see all character deleted in no time  by an evil hand  then wait 6 days to delete a level 16 toon.

3 minutes ago, Miz70 said:

level 16 character require 6 days to delete. In my opinion is too much. a Day is fair but 6 days is an issue for the account owner. I have played many mmo this is the second where i have this issue (the first was Archeage). I hope that NC will lower delete timing ie. 1-10 istant 10-30 1 day 30-45 two days. 

I would like to see all character deleted in no time  by an evil hand  then wait 6 days to delete a level 16 toon.

Another idea will be to use the 6 number pin (like the login one)  to erase character. If i put the pin i am the owner of the account so character delete is instant if i cannot give the pin the deletion process can't start.. this will avoid any account security issue 

On 1/18/2016 at 10:01 AM, Miz70 said:

Another idea will be to use the 6 number pin (like the login one)  to erase character. If i put the pin i am the owner of the account so character delete is instant if i cannot give the pin the deletion process can't start.. this will avoid any account security issue 

This is what should be the normal, but then NCWest logic...

Um, you do know there are things like keyloggers to record what you type and call home right? Using a pin to delete doesn't satisfy the security reasons this is in place. There will not be a fair way to do this unless something is sacrificed on both ends.

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 11:01 PM, Miz70 said:

You do realise that to get into the your account initially you have to use the PIN anyway, so implementing that would be redundant.

7 hours ago, Valerius77 said:

You do realise that to get into the your account initially you have to use the PIN anyway, so implementing that would be redundant.

I am looking to find a solution to avoid 6 days to delete a character. 

7 hours ago, riknav said:

Um, you do know there are things like keyloggers to record what you type and call home right? Using a pin to delete doesn't satisfy the security reasons this is in place. There will not be a fair way to do this unless something is sacrificed on both ends.

yes keylogger will hit password  but not the pin, i use the mouse to insert the 6 numbers that google authenticator generate for some seconds how keylogger can work on it? 
I think this is an issue with NC database,or simply they want player buy additional slot with NC coins  this is not related to security... actually 98%  mmo didn't require days to delete ! why the hell i must wait 6 days for a level 16 character??

i really would like to hear from NC  why  delete level 16(not 45) require 6 days !
Is possible to change this ? can NC put the damn 6 days ony for character from level 30-45? 

Is possible to insert in Hongmoon store a Instant character deletion "token"? if you buy and  use it in the character list window you select the character and delete it in no time!

uhhhh. i Had a level 1 toon i named on day 1 early launch, now a week in, I wanted to keep the name but change class and I waited the 5 minutes to delete, but when I created the toon and tried to use my name again, it said it was already used.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

7 hours ago, Miz70 said:

I am looking to find a solution to avoid 6 days to delete a character. 

yes keylogger will hit password  but not the pin, i use the mouse to insert the 6 numbers that google authenticator generate for some seconds how keylogger can work on it? 
I think this is an issue with NC database,or simply they want player buy additional slot with NC coins  this is not related to security... actually 98%  mmo didn't require days to delete ! why the hell i must wait 6 days for a level 16 character??

i really would like to hear from NC  why  delete level 16(not 45) require 6 days !
Is possible to change this ? can NC put the damn 6 days ony for character from level 30-45? 

Is possible to insert in Hongmoon store a Instant character deletion "token"? if you buy and  use it in the character list window you select the character and delete it in no time!

Keyloggers aren't just button presses. They consist of packet analyzers like wireshark. These programs can log what is being sent to the server. 

Giving us new servers was awesome but to even use them we have to delete character, if we don't have open spots.

We get to wait a week while our slot opens to even try to use one of the less populated servers.

I'm not sure which I prefer less; a large que or a "deletion" rate.

On 22/1/2016 at 5:52 PM, riknav said:

Keyloggers aren't just button presses. They consist of packet analyzers like wireshark. These programs can log what is being sent to the server. 

yes but the two step verification give a code and after 30 sec this code is not valid. This is the better i can use and i don't think Hackers/crackers gold sellers and evil will waste time try to hack my account trying to bypass my two step verification code. We don't know why they don't want players enjoy the account deleting character in seconds (i have many slot thanks the premium but i am thinking about f2p with only 2 character slot).

In my opinion they (NC) want people spent real money for NCcoins  in order to buy more slot (in the Hongmoon store) so if you are F2P or  Premium you have to pay:D

• 2 weeks later...

7 days is unacceptable.  Vindictus doesn't make you wait this long.  There is no way in hell I am paying money for an additional slot.  2 slots for free players is also ridiculous.  You can;t know if you will enjoy the class till at LEAST lvl 20.  That will guarantee a 7 days wait time to delete.  Shady ways to 'convince' people to buy an additional slot.  And don't give me this bullshit about hacking protection.  I enter that 6 digit number with my mouse.  The number positions are randomized each time.  A key-logger would had to have been on my computer from the beginning to know the 6 digit passcode.  This is assuming they have the account name AND password.  Have me enter the 6 digit code a second time for instant deletion.  

Honestly, level 16 is too low to decide if youre going to like someone.  People complain that others dont give classes a chance to learn skills before complaining about PVP, yet think you should be able to decide if youre happy with your character at only level 15?

I brought a character slot, and  have brought VIP, so no, this isnt a "youre just cheap" thing.  The point of  a F2P game is to make you want  to spend money. Not begrudgingly hand over 5 dollars, and turn you off to paying more in the future.

If the character slots were lifted to 3 or 4, the 7 day wait wouldnt sting as much.  If they arent willing to do that, at least wait unil level 25 for a 7day waiting period.  at LEAST youre mid way at that point.

On 1/22/2016 at 8:52 AM, riknav said:

On 1/24/2016 at 2:21 AM, Miz70 said:

yes but the two step verification give a code and after 30 sec this code is not valid. This is the better i can use and i don't think Hackers/crackers gold sellers and evil will waste time try to hack my account trying to bypass my two step verification code. We don't know why they don't want players enjoy the account deleting character in seconds (i have many slot thanks the premium but i am thinking about f2p with only 2 character slot).

In my opinion they (NC) want people spent real money for NCcoins  in order to buy more slot (in the Hongmoon store) so if you are F2P or  Premium you have to pay:D

I'm a few days late but...

The person you quoted probably doesn't know how two-step works. I actually only know a little about it myself aside from basic information and how to install it.  If you have two-step and a phone then from my understanding no amount of keylogging and hacking will allow someone to get into your account because they need to physically have your phone because i believe that's where the 6 digit code comes from.  I actually use winauth and not a phone and its not as secure as a two-step with a phone because winauth is installed on my pc and thats what generates my 6 digit code AND in order to use winauth i have to input a password.

But anyways i think a good idea would be if you have two-step then maybe the wait feature for character deletion is disabled.  Or reduced to only 5 minutes no matter what level the character is to protect yourself against accidental deletions (ie you have the wrong character selected on the screen when you hit Delete).  Doubt they would do it though cause it seems like a very specific request to modify a feature.

• 2 weeks later...

No one has pointed out that it should be trivial for NCSoft to allow a 7-day restore process on the backend that would in no way prevent a player from immediately deleting a character. Most other mmos, both f2p and p2p, don't make a player wait so long - or at all - to delete a character so this cannot really be an unsolved problem in the industry. I would argue that the real reason there is a waiting period has much more to do with gold farming bots than with accounts getting hacked and needing to be restored. If so, then it means that players, even paying players, and being adversely affected (unnecessarily, imo) by a mechanic that frankly doesn't work anyway.

Also first and foremost they know people like playing about with low level alts, and this encourages you to buy extra slots, no coincidence it happens around the time most people try to solo Pokey for a "true"fell of their Alts :) 

• 2 weeks later...

its all about "encouraging" you to buy more slots. its extremely fixable. just run an extra pin entry that has to be different then the main one, and it will send a confirmation email with another code that can delete the character instantly. it wouldn't take much to implement this idea but they will not. plus on the topic earlier of keyloggers.... a basic keylogger only records keystrokes. while other will record events ie mouse clicks pauses in the keystrokes etc. some are even smart enough to record where the mouse is when pressed....this does not normally record the screen image at those times as that becomes a ton of information to record and send with out anyone noticing. for them to record what is being sent to the server they have to intercept the information as it is sent out and they have to know where and how its being sent too. that is no easy task, but doable. most are not that concerned to put that much effort in for a minimal gain. as far as slowing the gold spammers and sellers. the delete time does jack ****. its a f2p game all they have to do is make a new account using a disposable email address. thats where NC needs to be tracking IP addresses for that type of thing, but even that can be spoofed.

Oh btw now with currency exchange you can exchange your gold for hongmoon coins which you can then use to buy extra character slot. It's 400 hongmoon coin so if currency hasn't change much would be around 8 gold. Seems pretty low to me.Just in case if you have decided to delete both characters and have to wait 6 days.

I have played an MMO which require you to send an e-mail to delete a character above certain level. The reason likely to prevent unintended character deletion, either done by a friend, family member, hacker, or yourself.

I believe that a deleted character not actually removed from their database. This is the reason why you can't reuse the name of a deleted character. However, some data regarding said character may have been deleted.

Archived