Server Location EU/NA in Austin, TX? [Solved]

Dakuun

So my friends and I are trying to determine which region to play based on who's ping is better across the ocean. I'm from Canada, they are from Scotland and Netherlands.

In order to do this, we first needed to get the IP of the servers. This can be done with Wireshark, which monitors packets being sent/received through your adapter. It gets source IP, Destination IP, protocol, length, flags, etc. It doesn't contain contents.

Anyway, I first tested 3 NA servers, all showing Austin, Texas. But then when I tested 2 EU servers, Windrest and Cardinal Gates, they both also appear to be located in Austin, Tx... They have a different IP range, but still in Texas.

So does anyone have info on where the EU servers actually are, or where they were advertised to be?

EDIT: Solved the confusion.

You can test your pings with PsTools, which is Microsoft's own tools.

Navigate to the folder where extracted in cmd and type:

psping 64.25.37.239:10100   (US Server)

psping 206.127.149.10:10100  (EU Server)

3 hours ago, Augh said:

You're picking up the location of the embedded web services such as marketplace, image sharing, community profiles etc, not the game server location. EU servers are in Frankfurt, Germany.

Do you have anything to support that? I mean that's most likely true, It's just that literally the only IP's related to NCsoft that wireshark is showing are located in Austin, TX. and wireshark shows every packet passing through my network adapter.

1 minute ago, Dakuun said:

Do you have anything to support that? I mean that's most likely true, It's just that literally the only IP's related to NCsoft that wireshark is showing are located in Austin, TX. and wireshark shows every packet passing through my network adapter.

Combination of having a physically impossible ping to EU (if they were in TX) which perfectly matches when I played other games hosted at the same Frankfurt data centre, threads from the CBT forums on the same subject, replies in those threads explaining how the embedded web features work, and having played on the TX servers also for comparison.

Anything I say is going to be basically anecdotal though, granted.

Figured it out. Geodata is just not updated.

Here are the IP's and port to use to test your ping. Requires a TCP ping tool, PsTools from microsoft works.

psping 64.25.37.239:10100

psping 206.127.149.10:10100

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to enjoy the game from Thailand and play with my EU friends but nop... More frustrating than anything else.

VXBMNaI.png

Checked all IPs and they are all from Texas (same for my friends living in France).

But you guys still want us to believe everything is fine and that we are connecting to the servers in Germany? Why are some features hosted on NA servers for EU players? Could you explain to us the reasons behind these network design choices (beside costs savings)?

I was about to get a year subscription because the game mechanics are really interesting and challenging but this just kills any fun I could get while playing. Don't get me wrong I knew my ping would be higher than normal but not to the point where it's impossible to escape anything in game :)

Apologies for the tone but this is getting damn frustrating

• 1 month later...

Archived