Balu07

Endgame combat seems booooooring-Mb,Assa-

Balu07   

First of all i would like to say, i am happy after all these years the game comes out at all.

On the topic at hand: Since game is almost out, i decided to give the game a shot...in fact i decided to be this my last mmorpg,go all out nerd, and after its "burned out" i quit playing online games and stuff. But truth to be told, i cant decide on class, i mean sure, i have considered Blade Master and Assasin but its all based on 12 levels of gameplay and tonns of vids i see on the web, nothing really solid. 

I tend to pick Sword Master because it looks a bit more flashy, better looking gear, and attack animations, a bit more dynamic maybe, and its a general "Hero" player character you can feel the story trough more indepth.

The problem is (and its the same with assasin) when i see endgame gameplays, they look like shit. Ppl spam the same 3-4 skills and combat feels boring and non dynamic. So i went and checked out Assasin, and what i see? 

80% of ppl are playing like : Permanently invisible, backstabbing and spamming 2-3 skills, that look like " auto attacks" . Felt like HOLLY SHIT THIS IS A SHIT GAME....when in fact i seen videos that show amazing fluid gamplay and combos and visuals. Videos where the combat actually feels fun and dynamic, like its an anime or something....not like a Lineage 2 grindbot. 

So i am not sure. I tend to go for Assasin (no real reason...maybe watched to much naruto lately...ninjapower) but then again, i really dont like the "auto attack" on the dagger...not to mention skins dont really show of on a small dagger, like they do on a sword. And if viable gameplay looks like this 3 skill spamfest....not even sure i want to play the game....

Even trough i sort of like Assasin in the way, its more East ern style (and that i love), and does seem to use (when it does in those few vids) martial arts to, and i find that nice to. 

Can anyone give me facts? Or share first hand experiances? 

Teisho   

You know, you could have posted this in the thread you just made since this thread is along the same vein, but w/e, I'll answer anyways:

The reason why people use the same rotation of skills over and over again is because that's how they generate the most amount of damage in the shortest amount of time possible ("DPS" or damage per second). If you don't want to use the same skills over and over again, no one is forcing you to use the most effective DPS combo for your class. Every single MMORPG I've ever played has had DPS rotations for most classes that consisted of a few skills with certain breaks or variances in between. If you don't like that kind of thing then I'm not sure you're really accustomed to the MMO experience in general.

If that doesn't appeal to you then I don't think you'd like most MMOs, with this one being no exception. Calling the game shit because of this is absurd.

RAV3N   

Well, if you dont like endgame combat, perhaps you should try to come to Arena PVP. We will receive you with the hugest of hugs.

:ph34r:

Balu07   

Dont get me wrong, i am still expecting the game to be amazing. Even if i only take the story and cultural experiance. Lately you can hardly get your hands on East style games at all.  

As for accustomed...you are getting me wrong, i play mmos since everquest. Did almost every big title, like eq2, Ragnarock online, Warhammer online, to Wow for 10 years, Lineage 2 Aion and Tera to Guild Wars to Gw2, and trough you are sort of right at the point..but its not "not used to" more like, i dont like it. 

Something like this : if i farm mobs for gold items act...like in for example Lineage 2 (where it actually means something) its all right. You got a good rotation, its not about the (here comes the important part) FUN of the combat. The fun comes from the reward the combat gives, or the things you can do with the rewards. 

But when you are playing a game like Gw2, or Tera or even more specific Blade and Soul, that is claimed or advertised as action combat its all about the fun of the combat.

Playing Tera i got addcited to it (from nowhere it got me amazed). I didnt really care if i was doing dungeons or instances or story or pvp, it was fun, because you had to fight and it was fun. They managed to make an action ombat with a working trinity. I dont say i did not use the "same" combinations, but it was still faaaaaar from the videos i seen. (would love to make examples, but not sure links are allowed.)

So in the end my point is , its not that i am not accustomed to it, but more like : i expect a lot more from the gameplay then perma invis and "auto attack" . 

But then again you might be right, you play as you wish(so there are alternatives...)...BUT from where i am supposed to know that? THAT was the whole reason i asked on forums(its not the same as my other topic). Can anyone give me facts? Or share first hand experiances? 

Fael   

2 different (and yet similar) threads complaining about the game in an hour, we can clearly see you're happy about the release of the game.

Edited by Amraith

Teisho   

Dont get me wrong, i am still expecting the game to be amazing. Even if i only take the story and cultural experiance. Lately you can hardly get your hands on East style games at all.  

As for accustomed...you are getting me wrong, i play mmos since everquest. Did almost every big title, like eq2, Ragnarock online, Warhammer online, to Wow for 10 years, Lineage 2 Aion and Tera to Guild Wars to Gw2, and trough you are sort of right at the point..but its not "not used to" more like, i dont like it. 

Something like this : if i farm mobs for gold items act...like in for example Lineage 2 (where it actually means something) its all right. You got a good rotation, its not about the (here comes the important part) FUN of the combat. The fun comes from the reward the combat gives, or the things you can do with the rewards. 

But when you are playing a game like Gw2, or Tera or even more specific Blade and Soul, that is claimed or advertised as action combat its all about the fun of the combat.

Playing Tera i got addcited to it (from nowhere it got me amazed). I didnt really care if i was doing dungeons or instances or story or pvp, it was fun, because you had to fight and it was fun. They managed to make an action ombat with a working trinity. I dont say i did not use the "same" combinations, but it was still faaaaaar from the videos i seen. (would love to make examples, but not sure links are allowed.)

So in the end my point is , its not that i am not accustomed to it, but more like : i expect a lot more from the gameplay then perma invis and "auto attack" . 

But then again you might be right, you play as you wish(so there are alternatives...)...BUT from where i am supposed to know that? THAT was the whole reason i asked on forums(its not the same as my other topic). Can anyone give me facts? Or share first hand experiances? 

You say you expect more from the game than perma invis and auto attacks, but what are your expectations, really?

What exactly is it that you want out of this game? If you want "action combat" exactly like Tera then you're not going to get that here. If you want the GW2 experience, you won't get it here either. You keep going on and on about "fun" but that's very much subjective and all relative. I thoroughly enjoy Blade & Soul's combat system and I'm sure most people here feel the same way.

Figure out what your expectations are exactly and then come back to this thread. There's not much to really talk about here if all we're going off of is a vague notion of fun that's unique to each individual.

Balu07   

"exactly like Tera then you're not going to get that here. If you want the GW2 experience, you won't get it here either." Thank god.

I am asking how the game is ...because the things i mention is what i saw from the game...but all i get is hate...atleast thats how i feel.

Edited by Balu07

Moist   

The games fine

for the new players that haven't been playing other regions for years there's plenty of content to learn on top of more content down the line to look forward too

choose the class you enjoy playing and don't be afraid to give more than 1 class a try

They're all useful

They all do damage

just play what fits your play style

and I can bet you a masters pack 80% of players don't just strictly play assassin

Unlike other games where you have 20 or more skills at your arsenal to use and cycle through in order to kill stuff, in this game you will mainly have a few skills that are your bread and butter go to skills in order to kill stuff. I can't speak about other classes since I only played summoner to 45 and fm to like.....20 something. Personally I like that better than cycling through 2 full bars of skills ranging from 1 to = and debating what skills are useful at end game and then trying to make a skill bar based around it. At level 12 you don't really get to experience the combat and how fun (or boring) it may be, first forcemaster I ever made i got to 8 and quit because it bored me, made another and after...idk some level, i found it moderately enjoyable.  

Unless you have some other game to be playing on 01/19 then you can skip this and play that instead, otherwise play it and get to at least 30+ and do Tomb of exile, any reservations you have about the combat should be cleared up by that point. 

Ddrayg   

basicaly we can´t tell  you how fun this game is based on your own play style, you can´t really tell hw fun bns is until you actully play it, y advice would be,just play it and then judge it.

Yui   

It's an MMO all you do is press buttons and move your mouse.

Honestly this thread is so meh. I mean we cant really control if you get bored at watching videos or playing something.... 

I think you should just stop MMO's early, you just don't seem into it enough.

basicaly we can´t tell you how fun this game is based on your own play style, you can´t really tell hw fun bns is until you actully play it, y advice would be,just play it and then judge it.

Pretty much this ^.

Playing it at end game and understanding is what going to give you the best representation and answer. There a huge difference between playing and watching from an outsider point of view.

Even if you play it, you have to understand so you can enjoy. For example,pvp. Like many bomani you'll say this and that class is op while at top tier rank you'll have fun challenging good people.

Positioning, evasiveness, timing, resource management... There is a lot of stuff going on that you cannot possibly see most of the time in a video.

Also mobs in open world are mobs.  They can range somewhat in difficulty but they're no bosses. You're not going to get all fancy with all those aspects for 3 little mobs that have barely learnt to wipe their nose. Some of them might require more thought but mob farming is mob farming.

You want interesting gameplay, fight bosses. Fight higher level mobs. Fight in PVP. Fight in dungeons. Play with bad players. 

It's also an MMO. Meaning your gameplay at 10 and your gameplay at 20 are nowhere near the same in rotation, complexity, thought.

TERA was a snoozefest back in the day until you hit the 51+ zone where mobs had way more HP than any other area, the BAMs were way more active, and even normal mobs were rather aggressive (on top of having a lot of HP).  As well, gameplay for my berserker at low levels, mid levels, high levels = very different.  Archer is a complete change at max level due to getting some key skills very late in the levelling. And once I mastered my berserker and equipped her to the teeth... farming dungeons = small number of skills, perfected rotation, max dmg, minimal required reactions as I already knew the content in my sleep. top dungeons = made use of a lot more skills, more actively aware, much more reaction, more surprise situations etc, because the content was still being learnt, skills appropriate to it perfected, etc.

Short of it... Play the game, stop watching action combat to determine anything as personal and complex as "fun".

It's free to play.  Download, play, etc.

Snowaeth   

You got addicted to Tera for its combat? (Which is understandable it's an amazing combat) But B&S takes it a step further and makes it even better. 

In Tera end game worked the same, you take a boss and spam your optimal dps rotation, every mmo works like that for end game.

In B&S the action combat takes it a step further than Tera it's even more responsive and there is no healer class to babysit your butt, you gotta do the mechanics even more precise.

You watch some videos of smooth runs where everyone knows their stuff? 

Well of-course it's going to look somewhat boring, when people are doing something for their 1000th time and blindly do mechanics, have great gear to push phases etc.

You won't have that for your first 50 runs tho and probably longer. And even when doing your 1000th run with this type of combat there's always something to strive for (faster kill, solo kill, self inflicted handicap etc.)

As for BM or Assassin just pick whichever appeals to you more.

BM you will be expected to tank quite often, so you better be prepared to learn every mechanic and do it right.

Where as a sin you ll be expected to do crazy high dps, spam your ani cancel till your fingers bleed while keeping stealth up, which is a different game on its own.

There's also plenty of support skills that need to be timed right, mechanics to be done, etc.

Which each class tackles quite differently.

Avenaei   

Here's how I tend to view combat in MMOs.

PvE: Use an optimal rotation of skills to generate maximum dps. Can basically mean you only use few skills and the rest you ignore. Since you are fighting an AI you can get away with a lot and you don't have to worry about much once you know the pattern

PvP:  You have no idea what the other person is going to do. Each skill has it's uses so you don't always see the same fights. However, certain skills still maximize dps so expect them to be spammed when the opponent can't counter it. 

It has already been mentioned, but you don't have to spam skills if you want to look fluid. You can make up your own combos as much as you want.