Sign in to follow this  
Teisho

2-Factor Authentication for BnS

Teisho   

Will Blade & Soul be getting 2 factor authentication?

If there are no current plans for it, I'm suggesting it be implemented for the sake of user security and as an alternative to the current system so that I don't have to keep logging into my email just to log in to the forums/game.

This comes up in every thread complaining about having to enter an authorization code each time you log in, of which there have been many, so don't really see why we need what is basically yet another thread about it. Personally I don't care for such mobile app things, as I just don't care for mobile devices. Then just look at the Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator Beta group page to see how much people dislike that, or to be more specific, how much they dislike how Valve just rammed it down everyone's throats, or else they tack on 24/72 hour added wait periods to trades, lock you out of your account, etc as just like paid Skyrim mods, it was so poorly thought out, and generally not even wanted. So long as it's optional, fine, but if it's mandatory, then I'd just not play.

Edited by Phoenix Shi

Teisho   

This comes up in every thread complaining about having to enter an authorization code each time you log in, of which there have been many, so don't really see why we need what is basically yet another thread about it. Personally I don't care for such mobile app things, as I just don't care for mobile devices. Then just look at the Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator Beta group page to see how much people dislike that, or to be more specific, how much they dislike how Valve just rammed it down everyone's throats, or else they tack on 24/72 hour added wait periods to trades, lock you out of your account, etc as just like paid Skyrim mods, it was so poorly thought out, and generally not even wanted. So long as it's optional, fine, but if it's mandatory, then I'd just not play.

It's better for it to be optional. I'm just asking if the team has any plans of implementing 2-factor authentication, of which there have not yet been any other threads to discuss.

People may have made passing comments about this in other threads, but there hasn't yet been a thread asking for it in particular.

It's better for it to be optional. I'm just asking if the team has any plans of implementing 2-factor authentication, of which there have not yet been any other threads to discuss.

People may have made passing comments about this in other threads, but there hasn't yet been a thread asking for it in particular.

That's splitting hairs type logic. The point of this is you are annoyed about having to enter an authorization code each time you want to log in, so you're suggesting this, as an alternative to the current e-mail function. The other threads have been about how they are annoyed about having to enter an authorization code each time they want to log in, so people suggest other options, including this one.

Could be wrong, but I think I've seen you post complaint posts about people that make new threads about topics that have come up many times before, yet here you are effectively doing that yourself.

Teisho   

That's splitting hairs type logic. The point of this is you are annoyed about having to enter an authorization code each time you want to log in, so you're suggesting this, as an alternative to the current e-mail function. The other threads have been about how they are annoyed about having to enter an authorization code each time they want to log in, so people suggest other options, including this one.

I don't care about the log in thing that much. It's annoying, but that's not what this thread is about.

Could be wrong, but I think I've seen you post complaint posts about people that make new threads about topics that have come up many times before, yet here you are effectively doing that yourself.

And this is where you prove your true intentions. This post is completely pointless. If you're not going to contribute then go moan about my posts to someone that actually cares on a thread that isn't this one. This is my last response to you.

Edited by Teisho

Naunet   

I definitely would appreciate 2-factor auth. Doesn't have to be a physical dongle (though I honestly prefer those); a mobile app or windows auth would work just fine. But it's an added layer of security against hacking that would be greatly appreciated.

Vinn102   

Japanese version has a 2 Step Authentication system of its own with log-in, and I believe Korea also uses a similar type of system. I think it'd be a good idea security-wise for NA/EU to put in that system, and use similar systems like Wildstar uses which is Google Authenticator.

and_rea   

I think a good thing may be set it optional, but locking out from account recovery support anyone not using it.

If you do not want it, that's fine, but if your account goes stolen do not complain.

2-way is so hated because it hinders RMT's "business" and players buying their "services".

Talis42   

I would like to have it.  Just use the same as other NCSoft Games. Both GW2 and Wildstar use the Google one.  It's easy.

AttacKat   

Will Blade & Soul be getting 2 factor authentication?

Yes please. TW already use google authenticator. NA can use the same one. IMHO, NCS NA should demand ALL accounts to use it since it will reduce RTM bots and account thief.

This comes up in every thread complaining about having to enter an authorization code each time you log in, of which there have been many, so don't really see why we need what is basically yet another thread about it. ... So long as it's optional, fine, but if it's mandatory, then I'd just not play.

So, you don't mind using a bank where *I* can withdraw money from your account with your card w/o entering a pin/code?

Edited by AttacKat

CWXlCV9WEAA7X3l.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lljj0MmvuUQ

This answer resumes all, is too early for be worry for this... the game is even release it so i dont think we need that kind of security.

Teisho   

I don't really understand the point of view that it's "too early" for security measures.

Do we really need to wait for people to get hacked before we make it harder for people to get hacked in the first place?

Edited by Teisho

Yui   

Careful,

DanielColunas just because they don't want it does not make them botters.

I agree with getting 2 factor authentication, Personally it is a little bit of a pain, 15 extra seconds sometimes 40 if I am out of it when I use my cell phone does get annoying. I however like to think never experiencing a hack to my account as worth those few seconds when I am logging on.

It is of course just my opinion. I personally do not mind a step that can protect me from account hacking.

Careful,

DanielColunas just because they don't want it does not make them botters.

I agree with getting 2 factor authentication, Personally it is a little bit of a pain, 15 extra seconds sometimes 40 if I am out of it when I use my cell phone does get annoying. I however like to think never experiencing a hack to my account as worth those few seconds when I am logging on.

It is of course just my opinion. I personally do not mind a step that can protect me from account hacking.

Sure... Maybe they prefer play with bots.

Maybe they prefer go to a village and see names like "kedrgnh" and "gjrhbe" and a ton of bots ksing quests mobs.

Just maybe...

I would gladly have an authenticator with 2 or 10 keys to insert. I don't mind waist 5 minutes to login if bots can't pass through game security.

I hate bots in games. I hate cheaters in games. I hate hackers in games. I hate them all more than I hate salty and toxic players and I really hate those too.

I play for fun, not to be concerned about idiots who want to ruin the game for other people.

So, I'm in favour for authenticators, plus your account is safer with that.

And this is where you prove your true intentions. This post is completely pointless. If you're not going to contribute then go moan about my posts to someone that actually cares on a thread that isn't this one. This is my last response to you.

So you fancy yourself a mind reader, and are now telling me what I'm thinking? No, my point there was that this has been discussed in every thread complaining about the login authorization system, yet now we're seeing yet another thread on the matter as I said right from the start.

I definitely would appreciate 2-factor auth. Doesn't have to be a physical dongle (though I honestly prefer those); a mobile app or windows auth would work just fine. But it's an added layer of security against hacking that would be greatly appreciated.

I think a good thing may be set it optional, but locking out from account recovery support anyone not using it.

So, you don't mind using a bank where *I* can withdraw money from your account with your card w/o entering a pin/code?

All those people denying the authenticator... all those "players" that like to use bots in games revealed... lulz...

Guess what people, not everyone has, or wants a mobile device, then if they remove service options if you don't use it, that'd be a pretty stupid move, when not everyone has it. That's one of the big complaints about the Steam mobile authorization system Valve just put in. Everyone playing would have an e-mail address, it is separate from your game account, and so long as you don't pass your e-mail account info out, no one else would have access to that, so AttacKat's comment is just rather absurd.

Someone mentioned those Windows programs, first off to use those you need to link the program with a mobile number, so you still need that, meaning people without one would still be out of luck. Then those Windows programs are just jury rigged phone app emulators, and part of the whole point of these functions is that the authorization is through a separate device, while the program would be on the same computer as the game. Meaning those add no added security, or even less security over the e-mail option against people at your residence, and a lot of times the people that "hacked" your account are people you know, and may live with, who could also have access to your physical mobile phone as well.

Add:

There's also an issue with privacy, and personal security. I don't like to have my credit card info stored places, and any time some game on Steam wants you to provide your mailing address just to play it, people always raise a fuss as they don't want to provide that info. The more info a company has on you, the more info that is at risk should they get hacked, or something else goes wrong, if you're ok with that, then that's your choice, not everyone is though. Then look at what happened with Steam just recently, for an hour, or more there was an issue where if you checked your account info, and such, you'd see another person's info instead. It showed their e-mail address, their stored mobile phone numbers, last four digits of any stored credit cards, may have shown connected social media accounts, and mailing address in some cases, aside from what they bought, and so on. With people being people, some thought it was absolutely hilarious, so screen capped that personal info, and posted it online, sounds great, right?

As I said before, if it's optional fine. Although, also as I said, not every one has one, or wants one, I have no real desire for one, or need of one, so don't have one, and if some game I wanted to play required that, or reduced my services if I didn't provide it, I wouldn't play, and would take my money elsewhere. Despite what some here tried to claim, not everyone that doesn't want to use it isn't some botter, or what not.

Edited by Phoenix Shi

Bezerko   

+1

My inbox is flooded with these authentication emails. I would love to see an authentication system added. Optionally of course.

Naunet   

Guess what people, not everyone has, or wants a mobile device, then if they remove service options if you don't use it, that'd be a pretty stupid move, when not everyone has it. That's one of the big complaints about the Steam mobile authorization system Valve just put in. Everyone playing would have an e-mail address, it is separate from your game account, and so long as you don't pass your e-mail account info out, no one else would have access to that, so AttacKat's comment is just rather absurd.

There are several options for authenticators.

- physical dongle

- google authenticator (which can be run on a phone or a computer)

- other mobile apps

Even if NCSoft only utilized a mobile app authenticator, which not everyone would be able to use, it would be worthwhile. That still represents a sizeable chunk of their customers who would then be pretty solidly protected from compromise. Your protest against 2-factor authentication is rather ridiculous and short-sighted.

There are several options for authenticators.

- physical dongle

- google authenticator (which can be run on a phone or a computer)

- other mobile apps.

And? Any time I've seen some gaming company use it, they use the mobile phone option, so everything I said about that still applies. Most of the "hacking" I've seen has been the result of the user willingly handing their info out to others in some way (they gave their info to a friend, they handed their info to guild mates, they gave it to some site that promised to level their chars, provide gold, items, or so on, they provided it to someone claiming to be a GM, they provided it to a site they thought was an official site, etc...), as a result companies adding these various added security features have been more to try to idiot proof their users, against themselves, than to protect users from actually getting hacked.

Even if NCSoft only utilized a mobile app authenticator, which not everyone would be able to use, it would be worthwhile. That still represents a sizeable chunk of their customers who would then be pretty solidly protected from compromise. Your protest against 2-factor authentication is rather ridiculous and short-sighted.

As I said from the very start, and have repeated before, it's fine if it's optional, but not if it's mandatory, so your comment there is absurd, try reading before you respond to someone.

Edited by Phoenix Shi

Naunet   

I don't think I've ever seen an MMO that made 2-factor authentication mandatory, so that is not an option that even crossed my mind.

My 2 cents : adding some additional security would be nice, but something that doesn't make me read an e-mail everytime or checking my mobile phone. In some games I've seen they ask you to enter a PIN code and the numbers are changed randomly so bots can't just macro a sequence since you have to click with the mouse on the number and they are shuffled everytime you login. I think that's a good and less annoying one.

About the bots...

I hate bots in games. I hate cheaters in games. I hate hackers in games. I hate them all more than I hate salty and toxic players and I really hate those too.

I play for fun, not to be concerned about idiots who want to ruin the game for other people.

So, I'm in favour for authenticators, plus your account is safer with that.

Yep I also hate bot, they destroy the in-game economy since no human efford to farm stuff so basically if I want to farm I have to do it a bot price and thats unfair

Teisho   

I don't think I've ever seen an MMO that made 2-factor authentication mandatory, so that is not an option that even crossed my mind.

Exactly. Even Steam makes 2-factor authentication an option, but you'd have to be pretty stupid not to enable it. The only people that really ever get hacked on Steam are the ones that don't enable Steam Guard and the ones that get malware on their systems (either through bad luck or bad decision making, whether that be through clicking dodgy links or downloading compromised programs/visiting compromised websites).

Optional 2-factor authentication functions to the benefit of all users. Making it mandatory might be too much, but having it as an option definitely couldn't hurt, as long as it's implemented properly.

Sign in to follow this