Sign in to follow this  
y3kcjd5

Object/terrain hitboxes absurdly crude, worsened by sprinting

y3kcjd5   

Countless times now, I have attempted to run below the eaves of a building, or between a rock and a tree, or attempted to fly between the branches of a tree, or attempted to run around a corner, or attempted to...go....somewhere clearly big enough for my character even with allowances for a Destroyer-sized hitbox, only to find myself blocked by the absurdly crude hitbox of a nearby rock/tree/pole/building, etc. This is terribly immersion breaking, very annoying during long-distance travel, and can actually be dangerous if a pack of enemies is on your tail. Please make object hitboxes more reflective of the actual appearance of those objects.

Worse, this problem seems to be exacerbated several-fold when sprinting, and I will often get stuck on things like doorframes and small steps that I would normally be able to walk right over.

In some of the worst cases, I can actually get mired in terrain; I once made the mistake of sprinting around in the final boss room of the Tomb of Exiles, and somehow got myself stuck on a pile of bricks. I spent a good half-minute spamming different movement skills before I finally got myself unstuck.

Glavos   

Another solution to this is allow the character to "slide" when they encounter a hitbox so they get redirected around the object rather than stopping dead when you manage to accidentally clip a hitbox.

Another solution to this is allow the character to "slide" when they encounter a hitbox so they get redirected around the object rather than stopping dead when you manage to accidentally clip a hitbox.

This is how they handle the issue in Guild Wars 2: I makes movement so much more fluid. If I hit the edge of an obstacle, it's not a big issue because my character slides to the side and continues to walk/run in the same direction.

I fully agree with the OP: Not only are the hitboxes sometimes (much) bigger than the objects as they appear onscreen, but when you sprint and get stuck, you come to a dead stop while your energy is drained. It makes running around rather frustrating. This is also a problem when crossing different levels of terrain: A sloped path may appear continuous, but there might be a gap between the hitboxes, stopping my character completely due to a small elevation difference.

I wouldn't have complained about this if it had been a minor issue, but in my opinion this really detracts from the user experience when moving around. I've played several MMOs, and moving around (in terms of moving past or around objects) has never been so frustrating as it is in B&S.

Sign in to follow this