Tarask

After 3 CBT, a summary of bugs, issues and advices.

Tarask   

I spent hours and hours playing (i've 2 accounts, 5 chars lvl 45, my wife have one account and 2 chars 45&20ish, and i've 3 friends playing), and hours on the forum.

I've played from different locations, with&without VPN, on 3 different computers (win XP&7 no 8 nor 10) (from a winXP single core, 2Gram with Radeon HD4850, to win7 quad core 4x4Ghz, 16Gb low latencies ram, 980GT vidéocard)( also i tried it on something like 10 computers lol, as is had them available, i wanted to see ^^ ). I've tried with&without other soft on background, even disabling firewall (i'm programer&network ingeneer (CISCO), so i know how a computer work :P, so by playing on 3 different "clean" computers, i can say which problems come from them, and which from the game or server)

• Bugs&issues i've seen common to the 3 computers :

-Translations error, some typing errors (not only in NPC dialogs, also in skill trees, or in mobs names)

-There is sometimes, differences between what's written and what's said by NPC.

-Having another sound, or noise (like someone casting a spell), when speaking with a NPC (at the beginning) will prevent him to speak during the whole dialog.

-There's a LOT of major issues when the character is on anything but totally flat ground (When going over transitions in terrain or over certain objects the server will rubberband you back constantly).

-If you touch certain objects while running you'll often get stuck to them.

-Running on water can get you stuck in it. (not experienced in CBT3, as i haven't gone into jadestone, and this is where it happened to me everytime)

-The "character information", is working once every century, and when it work, you have to wait 1 to 5 minutes 90% of the time, i've got faster information only twice.

-The market is desperately slow...

(About the last 2 concerns : Even if keeping the web infos server in USA is on purpose, i don't think this is a good idea... Unless you[NCSOFT, bloodlust] optimize the connections, speed, protocols and set european request on high priority on the server to lower the problems and time to get infos... (or why not creating a mirror server here in europe ?) )

-Some random "you have been disconnected from the server" without reason (connection is OK, no rate drop nor anything), it's always fun to lose a PvP match thanks to this.

-A lot of framedrops:

-Often when you come in a new zone, with many objects.

-Sometimes when you have fun with multiple enemys in a party

-Often in PvP, in the arena or not.

-Some, totally random...

-The first time you come to darkglimpse, following the story, (alone so), if you come too fast, the script may not launch, and the NPC will just stand there, walls will be there to kill you if you wanna get out, but nothing else will happen...

-Something strange, happened once, but slightly annoying... when farming the factions insignias to get the arena soulshield in misty forest, some croakbeak (flying dinos, can't exactly remember the name) was spawning on us everytime we attacked a cerulean NPC, it happened after 1 or 2 hours farming, and continued until the end, (we killed more than 50 dinos lol), a bit messy...

-Ping... maybe useless to speak about it as we wait more locals server at launch... ?

-The combat stance, which prevent you from running, sometimes stay way too long, when not totally locked until you use another skill...

I'll add other things later when they come back to mind.

• Advices & thoughts :

• Hardware & perfs :

-Except for the random lags, you can solve most of them by using a SSD, i advice using a RAID5 with SSD, i've done it with 3 SSDNow (affordable, honest perf), i'll do it on my personal computer at home.
-NEVER install the game on an external drive, you'll get major lags because of energy saving strategy.
-Low latencies ram have more impact on the game than more capacity (got better results with 4G low latency dual channel than with 32G "normal"). (btw this is true for almost all games)
-The game didn't seem to be optimized for multi-cores, i've got better results on 2x4Ghz than on 8x2Ghz, but lower results with the 1x3,8Ghz (OC)) (sadly, i haven't been able to test it between 2x3ghz and 4x3Ghz of same generation, and on same hardware, so i can't be totally affirmative on that)
-Because of windows architecture you'll need far less ressources with XP than with "higher" versions, so if you think you've low graphics or get lags because of your hardware, try to install XP as second boot for the game, the difference should be impressive)

-The game is kinda processor intensive, and will work just fine with graphic cards of one year or more. It seems that only latest graphic cards have some issues (haven't seen it myself, i've read it in the forum, the bug&issues i've seen was the same for all the graphic cards&computer i tried).

-I've tried playing with gamepads, the best experience i had was with the PS3 controler and the DS3 software, but there is not enough buttons for all the keys on a controler, to my taste ^^

• Game :

-Currently unbalanced, but the game should be released with the latests patchs about that, so don't worry about this atm.
-The ani-cancel won't be changed, at least, it seems, as it is used in officials championships, even if that's unfair (as only lower pings can take advantage of this), you better find the one concerning your class and master it. (maybe devs can "force" the higher pings of players fighting in the arena to the opponent ? )
-I personaly think the mid-levels (from 20 to 36) are going too fast, and mobs should have more HP in order to make it while longer, and "force" the players to really play this phase instead of jumping from 20 to 40 in a few hours and then begin to worry about stuff and soulshields... (just personal thought, nothing else).
-We need to be able to bind other keys to mouse, and use 4th and 5th buttons without tierce party soft.
-The uncensoring/censoring is just a 160Mb pack difference, why not putting that choice at the moment you pay the premium (like +1€, and the mention "adult" displaying on the CB payment ? it'll permit to preserve children, and allow adults to choose which outfits they prefer ? and you[bloodlust, NCSOFT]'ll get some free money) instead of making people use unofficials packs ? (just a thought once more)
-We need more options about the LFP in the cross server lobby to filter the classes/levels.
-We need a complete and total guide of ALL options/buttons/functions of the game, as every game, a manual should come with it. (i played more than 120hours, and i'm still discovering shorcuts or basic functions)... (Not to forget the differents currencies and other specific mechanics in this game...) (most of my friends i was able to make try the game, was discouraged as they find this too messy, and can't find explanation unless they ask me or other players).

Thanks for reading, feel free to add your bugs&thoughts, i hope this will help improve the game as i took hours on my time to test/try and write this feedback.
Good luck devs,

Tarask

Edited by Tarask

Tarask   

Most MMO have an online help (which is a kind of 'manual')... or information bubbles when you let the cursor on an object... Not this one, add to this the translations problem, and people get messed up fastly... Maybe i'm asking too much as i tried to introduce friends who wasn't used to MMO... ? In six month or so, there may be a good wiki, and real noobs will be able to join...

Edited by Tarask

Define online help, what is that and what mmos have it?

Each mmo has a keyboard shortcuts section in the settings and that's usually how you learn everything about the control scheme. You can hover over all icons on the ui in bns and they display what it is. The names are pretty clear such as wardrobe and party finder and friends.

To your edit. Non mmo players need quite a bit of handholding if they're not the self-learner types. Mmos are not like rpgs, you learn by doing and talking to people and reading forums and wikis. The meta continuously changes too so not keeping up to date through those methods leaves you behind. They're just different beasts.

Edited by DeaHamlet

Tarask   

In fact i don't really know, as i have not had their problems (i'm used to MMo's), but, for example, what i've seen often, people didn't knew how to go back to lobby while staying in group, as "exit" is not as clear as "return to lobby"... you see ? or the thing i discovered recently, clicking top and left on the lobby screen (still on cross server) on the number of the instance, will link it to the chatbox ... etc

In fact i don't really know, as i have not had their problems (i'm used to MMo's), but, for example, what i've seen often, people didn't knew how to go back to lobby while staying in group, as "exit" is not as clear as "return to lobby"... you see ? or the thing i discovered recently, clicking top and left on the lobby screen (still on cross server) on the number of the instance, will link it to the chatbox ... etc

LOL took me much research to find out how to exit as a group in order to requeue and I'm very used to mmos. Partially my fault for not actually opening every icon and menu on screen as I do other mmos, I assumed the info was out there since the game has been out so long in Korea. Problem is finding resources for a game that is in other languages is harder than just clicking and opening up all menus to investigate.

However an mmo player doesn't get discouraged by such things and asks around and pokes around until the answer is found.

OH and the instance number. To be fair, if you go hover over it, it tells you that you can click on it to post in chat. I prefer that than stupid bubbles opening up next to things without my hovering over them. Such as the bottom menus giving me info that I have new mail even tho I didn't hover over the mail icon.

Tips that show up without hovering are annoying for anyone already playing a second character. I remember the ordeal in certain mmos closing all the annoying tips and tutorials that would pop up without anyone asking argggg. For every character.

Can't make all happy.

Tarask   

oh yeah that spawning info windows like "your weapon need to be repaired", or if you just hover through the crafting icon while bidding (to put a higher bid than just pressing 'y') and it spawn the window... is so annoying as it prevent you from seeing your cd on skills... i know i should change the UI, but i'm fine with the actual position i have... i'd prefer they prevent these windows to open while in fight stance :P

and +1 i think all tips and hints should be there only at the first char on one account (or letting you disabling it), but we're missing this kind of tips&hints on BnS...

Edited by Tarask

Namine   

Almost all MMOs have some sort of tutorial, which can be toggled off/on as needed.
Even a start screen that pops when you log on that provides a quick note could prove to be useful....
'Did you know that ......' can very much come in handy.