Sign in to follow this  
TheChinaman

Should there be a more efficient way to navigate the world sans windstriding?

I had a go at the third closed beta, and one of the things I noticed was how slow it was to move between areas with just sprinting and gliding.  I felt the stamina meter limited how fast I could move, and windstriding to far-off locations was a rather expensive alternative.  Correct me if I am wrong, but please let me know about your opinions regarding movement in this game.

GnatB   

I think the "convenience" features, (Windstriding, remote mail, and possibly even the existence of the sprint bar), are still tuned based on this being a subscription game where the devs need to put in as many time sinks as possible.

I'd argue the former two should be cheaper, and the latter shouldn't exist.  You can't sprint in combat anyways, so why even have the sprint bar?

Cor   

How about free instant teleport anywhere you click on the map....? Seriously western players are way too spoiled, you get around so easily in this game and people still complain, also teleport is not expensive at all.

I think the "convenience" features, (Windstriding, remote mail, and possibly even the existence of the sprint bar), are still tuned based on this being a subscription game where the devs need to put in as many time sinks as possible.

I'd argue the former two should be cheaper, and the latter shouldn't exist.  You can't sprint in combat anyways, so why even have the sprint bar?

So you can't avoid combat sprinting away from everything. Also money sinks have nothing to do with the payment model.

Meese   

I'd  say that more so for Windstriding, the prices of TP spots doesn't make much sense. It costs 50 copper for Windstriding to the next town over, and it costs 50 copper to windstride to another area. That makes no sense to me. I see there being an increase over vast portions of land but it doesnt feel to be quite fine tuned yet. That being said, once you reach 45 and you have access to the Misty Woods daily quests, the cost of either of those two is nothing (since you make a couple of gold a day from those quests).

I would disagree on removing sprint. It helps get through dungeons a lot faster (when you die, when you're moving between mobs or just simply skipping them). It also helps you get back into PvP faster once you die. I like the sprint system and you can eventually upgrade it to 20 seconds worth. @OP you also get increases in sprint the further you progress into the story so it becomes a lot faster and easier.

GnatB   

I'm not talking about removing sprint.  I'm suggesting the opposite.  Unlimited sprint.  At least outside of dungeons.  (And right now you can pretty much just run past combat, sprint or no sprint... and besides, if you're in combat, you can't sprint anyways.  So the argument about combat avoidance doesn't hold much water.)

And I'd argue that the pricing of windstriding/remote crafting at low levels isn't functioning as a money sink, as at that point in the game you don't really have the money to spend. It's function is forcing you not to use them  = time sink.

Sure, once you get high level and have cash it'll become affordable (and thus a money sink), but not at the start.  The first several windstride locations should be free, with the cost increasing as you get to more dangerous territory.  Similar for remote crafting.  The lower level craftables should have a negligible fee for remote crafting.  IIRC currently it's something like an 700% markup.  (IIRC it's like 1copper normally, 8copper remote, and that's just to start it.  I believe there's a similar fee for remote collection.  (which is sort of silly, since you almost always immediately turn around and start something else, there should either be a fee to start remote or a fee to finish remote.)

(and P.S.  Time sinks *definitely* have to do with the payment model.  Subscription based games you want to draw out as long as possible before players get to "the end".  So you want as many time sinks as the subscribers will put up with.  In freemium games, most spenders are mid to late game.  So you want to actively avoid any sort of time sink until then.)

(Oh, and P.S, in case it wasn't obvious.  Yes,  I don't think the price of windstriding should be based on the distance traveled, it should be based on either player level or difficulty of the area being traveled to)

I had a go at the third closed beta, and one of the things I noticed was how slow it was to move between areas with just sprinting and gliding.  I felt the stamina meter limited how fast I could move, and windstriding to far-off locations was a rather expensive alternative.  Correct me if I am wrong, but please let me know about your opinions regarding movement in this game.

Yeah how dare they have open space and force us to travel, they should take a cue from 100% instanced games.

Makes sense. Since KR version was P2P when it first launched, dev's needed to cause the players to waste time by mindlessly running around so that they would accomplish less and forced to resub. Genius!

Why don't we take away all realism from the game by adding things like unlimited sprinting and ability to glide upwards in latitude. Those additions would be mindblowing!

You can't sprint in combat anyways, so why even have the sprint bar?

I second this. Sprinting feels GREAT and you feel sluggish having to stop every few seconds trying to get from one place to another in quests. Not to mention falling into water embarrassingly when stamina runs out lol. At the very least maybe longer sprint bar or faster recharge. Or have more stamina as you gain levels / gain unlimited sprinting as a skill at mid/ high level (it's not already there is it?). You can keep it limited and fixed the same as now for pvp maps or something.

As said people can sprint past battles with minimal effort anyways (and it doesn't guarantee avoidance), the stamina bar isn't stopping anyone who wants to do it. You can't exactly always glide past all enemies either. Good dungeon and map designs can prevent players from avoiding battles anyhow, and there are plenty of unavoidable fights in important dungeons that underleveled players would fail to survive, so they would have to fight and level at some point.

Even with teleport, you still need to get to far places on foot. The price of teleport is acceptable, it's not really an issue, it's more about the potential of a much more satisfying player experience having an extended sprinting over the current state. Even with unlimited sprinting, no long term player is going to bother saving a few coppers by going through hoards of loading screens at transition maps. Sprinting is not THAT fast so they'd just take the instantaneous teleport for a few coins. You can't sprint across continents anyways lmao.

So aside from "realism" factor, I don't quite see the function of sprint bar. I don't think it would be realism breaking (as a warrior you still have limited focus during battle, but when sprinting you harness chi efficiently for running, yada yada) or game breaking (this ain't FPS where you could run during combat). I also can't think off the top of my head any platforming elements where sprint bar comes into play.

Practically, I don't think the team will change something that's been in the game for such a long time, but I feel uninterrupted free running similar to assassins creed would make the BnS world feel even more unique and satisfying to explore.

Edited by Pattarang

GnatB   

Practically, I don't think the team will change something that's been in the game for such a long time, but I feel it would make the BnS world feel even more unique and satisfying to explore.

Maybe, maybe not.  When Wildstar went F2P they removed their version of the sprint bar when out of combat, and IIRC SW:TOR dropped the level you get sprint (along with Vehicles) when it went F2P.  So many games *have* made that adjustment.

Or have more stamina as you gain levels

There already is a form of that, I think, but it starts pretty late.  Maybe they could add another stamina tier at or before the transition from Viridian to Cinderlands.  Make it an additional reward of Test of the Eight or the airdash quest?  Or vault, I still have no idea how that's even different from a normal jump while sprinting in the first place.

Although if the NA devs are a mere localization team they may not have the authority to change things like this on their own, but maybe they could at least suggest it to the KR devs.  (No insult intended, I'm just not clear on what the limits of the NA devs' ability to change game systems are.)

Sign in to follow this