Sign in to follow this  
GnatB

Giant Plague Mite & Pokey bosses

GnatB   

Ok, now that I've done these fights with several different classes, and have started farming them for crafting mats, I just have to say...

What the heck were the devs thinking?  Do they really need 20-30k hp?

These fights aren't exciting, or hard, or dangerous.

They're just long.  They're long boring circle-strafe endurance contests, where once you know them, your biggest worry is your weapon running out of durability.

That's not fun.  That's the worst kind of "difficulty" you see in games.  Seriously.  Reduce their HP to a third, at least.  I'm sure they'll still be deadly to the handful of people out there who don't know what circle-strafing is, but the rest of us won't be stuck running around in circles for 15 minutes or w/e.

Sadi   

These dungeon/bosses are not meant be soloed early on in the game, though a lot of people have done so. You fight Pokey around Lv 14 IIRC. Next time, go with a group, as it was intended to be done. 

rocdog   

So they're worth killing for mats, and you want those mats to be faster to obtain even though that would reduce their value and no longer worth running a boss for because they'll be selling for coppers at the marketplace?

Esuna   

They're meant to teach you how to avoid stuff, mostly.

A 10 second fight wouldn't help much with that. 

Agreed with Esuna.

If you want faster run, gather more people! These first real dungeon bosses teach you how to use your skills properly. For soloers it provides some challenge. For farmers, as I said, just get more folks to run with.

GnatB   

Sure it would.  If it 1 or 2 shots you.  All having this much HP does is unnecessarily drag out the fight.  If you've managed to avoid dieing while getting through the first 10k hp,   You've probably figured out how to avoid getting hit by the critter.  The additional 10-20khp is just wasting time.

As for taking it out in a group?  Guess I didn't think of that, but then again, it doesn't have the group quest icon, it has the solo icon, so presumably the devs mean for it to be done by 1 person over a ridiculously long time.

edit:  Oh, and you're still limited to 1 of each daily per day, last I checked.  So making it take a saner amount of time isn't exactly gonna flood the game.

Edited by GnatB

Sure it would.  If it 1 or 2 shots you.  All having this much HP does is unnecessarily drag out the fight.  If you've managed to avoid dieing while getting through the first 10k hp,   You've probably figured out how to avoid getting hit by the critter.  The additional 10-20khp is just wasting time.

As for taking it out in a group?  Guess I didn't think of that, but then again, it doesn't have the group quest icon, it has the solo icon, so presumably the devs mean for it to be done by 1 person over a ridiculously long time.

edit:  Oh, and you're still limited to 1 of each daily per day, last I checked.  So making it take a saner amount of time isn't exactly gonna flood the game.

Remember: Any dungeon that has a party finder outside of it is typically designed with party play in mind.

Although the only early boss even worth farming is Pokey, and only because he drops viridian poison.

If you don't feel like farming it, just buy it from someone who will.

Edited by Succubus Lilith

Esuna   

Remember: Any dungeon that has a party finder outside of it is typically designed with party play in mind.

Even simpler, look at the portal's color/design.

- 1 orb : Solo content / 3 orb : Group content / Nothing : General zone

- Yellow : Story.

- White : Normal.

- Green : A bit harder than normal, generally made for 2/3 people. (Pokey / Mite)

- Blue : Party dungeon. (Big4)

- Blue/Purple with a weird symbol on it: Hard party dungeon. (Blackram, Tomb of Exile, Poh, BSH)

I have rarely had any trouble finding 2-3 people for either of these (or Adder's Nest).

Maybe they are more reasonable to solo after you have the awakened blight weapon?

Estribo   

The fights are pretty drawn out on some classes, yeah. Large health pools tend to be a rather boring padding tactic on the whole, but I do find that the tedium can tempt some players into playing recklessly, and any boss in this game can wreck you pretty quick if you start getting sloppy. As others have pointed out, there's no such thing as a solo tuned field boss, so I suppose finding a party is what you're going to have to resort to if you want a fast time to kill.

Just wait until we get Warlock. I've been leveling one on TW, and I absolutely annihilated these two - fight was over in half the time with no damage taken whatsoever. I can definitely understand why some see the Lock's tuning as a bit much for level 45 content.

rocdog   

I have rarely had any trouble finding 2-3 people for either of these (or Adder's Nest).

Maybe they are more reasonable to solo after you have the awakened blight weapon?

It will be easy in beta, with a lot of people levelling new characters and it will be that way early in launch.  A few months in, however, early and mid-level dungeons will be a good deal harder to find groups for.  But as for waiting, with a Viridian Hero bopae set and any Blight weapon these fights are trivial.

BH6010   

I don't understand complaining about those 2 bosses. Or more like farming them. From Plague you only need earring which you get from 1st completion. You do it, you move on. It can be soloed in 5 minutes by any class lvl 15. The higher you get the faster kill is. Instead of staying for no reason, more forward, evolve your weapon and return for daily (Viridian Poison).

About Pokay. It's only worth doing for Soul Shield achievement, which can be done anytime. You sooner get to lvl 20 and farm Gubong's SS than sticking to Pokay, which you change anyway in 4 levels.

Health poll is good as well. Some of you expect spoon feeding. One click = boss down = reward. Don't be lazy. Game is meant to be played, not getting things for free.

We're obviously on different sides of the fence here. The first time I played, I was super excited that it was in the game. "What's this!? A boss I can solo if I learn how to? That's *cricket*ing awesome. Not some boring kiting or facepalm rolling, but split second reaction!" 

As BM, it's good practice for mastering your 2nd tier parry stun. FM is kind of kiting but that's why it was the "easy" class in the beginning. Assassin has it's woodblock and other iframes. Haven't tried the others... but that's the point, mastery. If you don't like it, it's not like you have to farm it for 5 levels...

Sign in to follow this