Sign in to follow this  
Senpai

Motion Blur Giving Giant FPS Increase

Senpai   

Been trial and erroring what exactly can cause fps spikes, and to my surprise, motion blue (with advanced motion blur on) gave me a gigantic fps increase, and helped stop a ton of the stuttering. Sprinting through town could cause drops to the 20 fps region before, and now it's maintaining 35-40 with 20+ people around (tested in jadestone village). The only reason I can see this being a thing, is because the post processing is done on the GPU, and the majority of the game runs off the CPU. So by blurring things being quickly called/drawn in motion, it forces the game to put more of an even distribution onto the GPU, therefore optimizing the game in a sense. Granted this just means it was coded badly, but we all know that already, and while I hate motion blur, I hate fps dips more.

In order to test this, please do the following.

• Post Processing Slider set to 5
  • Motion Blur Enabled
  • Advanced Motion Blur Effect Enabled

Please post below if you received fps gains or not or at the very least it stopped the stuttering.

Solid trick, I gained 20FPS when I did this. 

But still, I drop to 30-45 sometimes, still annoying as CRICKET

Thanks man

Edit : i5 3570K  // r9 390 // 8G

Edit² : I drop from 90FPS to 30-45 at times still

Edited by Kurtlol

Sadi   

I haven't tried this but I generally play the game around 60-80 FPS on maxed settings anyways o-O; But shouldn't an increase in Motion Blur decrease system performance, not increase it?

Assassin   

This is wrong due to the fact of what motion blur actually is.

Motion blur is something used by higher quality monitors and Tv's (mostly tv's) that fill in the missing frames/predicting frames to display high quality than the hardware actually supports.

So for example if you're not actually getting 120 refresh rate on your tv or even if you are it's creating 1-4 "frames" of "predicted" motion for your eyes to see.

This looks good for simple things like TV shows that don't have a lot of "random" movement.

But for video games this creates a very ugly distoration.

For example try recording some birds flying past your house on a good quality camera.

Now play this video through your high res and high refresh rate TV vs's your high refresh rate monitor.

You will notice a lot of gross...how to say it...

Discoloration and "blurry" look on the bird instead of seeing the wings flapping.

Do the fact that the bird is moving slightly back and forth ontop of flapping wings.

Your tv won't be able to "predict" this movement therefor the "fake" frames it creates aren't correct and look "blurry"

Motion blur is designed in lay mans terms to create a high response time despite the computer/tv not having the create correct to actually display that refresh rate/response time.

It's basically black magic for people with low tier high quality gear.

(it's confusing to say low tier high quality gear.. but thats what it is)

However higher quality monitors don't need to use this "prediction" technology that tv's do.

This is why most high quality monitors are 1,000 dollars even for a "low end" high quality monitor.

So this "motion blur" setting is actually just some useless thing for people with low end monitors who don't actually have a good low milisecond response time.

(a good monitor will have roughly 10 or less response time where as a tv usually has upwards of 22-50 response time between each frame 1 frame is roughly 10 miliseconds)

Basically in lay mans terms.

Motion blur ELIMINATES the "gray area" of monitors/tv's by putting in "fake" high refresh rates.

It reduces the response time by creating "prediction" frames.

So it doesn't increase or decrease FPS.

It is however very heavy on your gpu.

It's actually very worthless in video games due to the fact that the game/monitor can't "Predict" what you're going to do next so it actually makes the game look WORSE than better on a higher end monitor.

However for people still using 720p monitors/tv's then it would make it look better or "fake" looking better.

This is hard to explain I'm sorry.

If I could simply load up a recorded video of the difference I would.

I'm very sorry.

Edited by Assassin

GnatB   

Doesn't particularly surprise me.  From what I remember the primary reason devs use motion blur is to obfuscate low frame rate.  And if the initial blur render is at a lower resolution, you'll actualy get higher frame rate with it.

Eureka   

Unfortunately lowers instead of increasing FPS for me. Yet I guess my problem is mainly with connection. During non-peak time I can play with 50 FPS, while peak time I play with ~15 avg...

Edited by Eureka

Lurkios   

Unfortunately lowers instead of increasing FPS for me. Yet I guess my problem is mainly with connection. During non-peak time I can play with 50 FPS, while peak time I play with ~15 avg...

Big difference between lag and stutter. Stutter is not affected by connection speeds.

May be you're just getting more folks on screen during peak times and that's what's hurting you.

BH6010   

Thank you Senpai (lol).

It didn't gain me much FPS in crowded town, but at least get rid of sudden FPS drop and stuttering.

Hazgaz   

I turned motion blur off, for CBT3 it kept happening even when standing still.  Selling stuff at vendor and I see motion blur.  Very annoying, just turned it off and I don't miss it.

Edited by Hazgaz

Tamarisk   

I would never play with motion blur.

"Laggy" regular display is still more accurate than "Smooth" motion blur image.

Senpai   

I agree that normally motion blur is terrible, although this game with the smooth camera movement it does it pretty well, at least while running. Also im not judging by if it 'looks' like it's running better, I'm pulling up actual fps numbers in-game and through nvidia monitoring. Won't be like this for all people, but anyone reading this should try it once, if it helps, great, if not, then your hardware must not like it.

I don't think it's actually more taxing though because it basically looks like it's lowering the resolution at high camera movement to create a more natural looking blur, (looks better than most games). At any rate, the core problem of the game is still the fact that it refuses to use even half of available resources, but oh well, we can hope, we can dream, we can pray that the devs actually fix it, but for now, trust, believe, and follow your senpai blindly, I want your full unquestioning obedience, I am your senpai, my fellow kouhai, BELIEVE!

Side note, if your using latest nvidia drivers, use DSR factor to make the game run WAY better, the downside is, it can look uh... well... like shit, but hey some people don't mind driving a shitty car as long as it gets from point A to point B relatively safely.

Edited by Senpai

Sign in to follow this