Pyuki

EU Servers STILL connecting to IPs in USA causing massive lag

pakjs   

after chating with some IT guy on skype i figured that 206.127.149.3 might be authentication server IP and 195.12.176.99  might be the actual EU ip..

That's then one fancy authentication server, that needs a regular 1-3 kB/s data stream (depending on how much you move around). Second highest data stream for client is 80-90 B/s.

I fail to see where you got "195.12.176.99".

Anyway for me the average ping with 206.127.149.3 is 100, min 50, max 260.

Accordingly there are some lag spikes.

That's then one fancy authentication server, that needs a regular 1-3 kB/s data stream (depending on how much you move around). Second highest data stream for client is 80-90 B/s.

I fail to see where you got "195.12.176.99".

Anyway for me the average ping with 206.127.149.3 is 100, min 50, max 260.

Accordingly there are some lag spikes.

http://imgur.com/m0qo6SZ:(

Youmukon   

Merci Youmukon!

But does this explain the lag spikes some players get, e.g. in the arena?

And why is the IP location Austin, Texas, even though the server is located in Frankfurt? (assuming 206.127.149.3 is the EU server's IP)

The Location reported by various tools may be inaccurate. 206.127.149.3 is physically located in Europe.

I just checked latency on my end and the value I am getting from the United Kingdom are in line with what I'm supposed to have for a Brighton > Frankfurt.

pakjs   

http://imgur.com/3D6uVEnstill not a good sign :(

Draw the Remote column a bit wider, one of the 81 or 66 seems to be for 206.127.149.3.

The 250 ones should be for market n shet.

The Location reported by various tools may be inaccurate. 206.127.149.3 is physically located in Europe.

I just checked latency on my end and the value I am getting from the United Kingdom are in line with what I'm supposed to have for a Brighton > Frankfurt.

Thanks for shedding some light on this. Would like to ask one more question.
Are there any network related improvements planned or the latency we get now, is the one we should count on when B&S goes live?
Edited by pakjs

Could you explain why lot of people have horrible ping/lag when playing then?

Because basically atm you're only saying that it works fine for you and others don't really matter.

Draw the Remote column a bit longer, one of the 81 or 66 seems to be for 206.127.149.3.

The 250 ones should be for market n shet.

Even tho 81 or 66 would be higher then normal for connecting to central Europe imo, it still should not make me have around 3-4 sec delays on all my skills.

Youmukon   

Because basically atm you're only saying that it works fine for you and others don't really matter.

Well that's a different issue. This thread is about "EU servers are still connecting to IP in US". And that is not the case, EU Servers are physically located in Europe :)

Now when it comes to latency in general, every users can be impacted differently based on their location, their ISP, network environment (router/firewall) and so on... I'm not dismissing the fact that some of you may have issues, but in that case another thread should be created and problems should be tackled from a different angle.

Well that's a different issue. This thread is about "EU servers are still connecting to IP in US". And that is not the case, EU Servers are physically located in Europe :)

Now when it comes to latency in general, every users can be impacted differently based on their location, their ISP, network environment (router/firewall) and so on... I'm not dismissing the fact that some of you may have issues, but in that case another thread should be created and problems should be tackled from a different angle.

There are multiple threads about this but nobody is giving us any responses. And having a server that makes it unplayable for a lot people is not a great plan, esp if we only find out after paying over 100 Euros.

I did another tracer using the EU server ip. The first tracer i did was with the NA ip and it worked fine with no issues but with the EU one, this is what i got.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
© 2013 Microsoft Corporation. Med ensamrätt.

C:\Windows\System32>tracert 206.127.149.3

Tracing route to 206-127-149-3.ncsoft.com [206.127.149.3]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms     3 ms     6 ms  192.168.1.1 [192.168.1.1]
  2    37 ms    28 ms    36 ms  gw1-no132.bredband.skanova.com [81.230.30.129]
  3    25 ms    46 ms    35 ms  kbn-b4-link.telia.net [62.115.139.82]
  4    37 ms    34 ms    51 ms  kbn-bb4-link.telia.net [213.155.135.174]
  5    25 ms    27 ms    41 ms  hbg-bb4-link.telia.net [213.155.134.207]
  6    44 ms    31 ms    30 ms  ffm-bb2-link.telia.net [213.155.134.115]
  7    32 ms    37 ms    43 ms  ffm-b1-link.telia.net [62.115.114.252]
  8  ncsoft-ic-306349-ffm-b11.c.telia.net [62.115.43.74]  reports: Destination n
et unreachable.

Trace complete.

C:\Windows\System32>

This is what a lot of EU people have issues with i assume. It says I'm getting 40-50ms for the EU servers but even though it says so, I'm still getting the NA ping which gives me 200-300+ ms so i get up to 5 second delays constantly. The NA ip works fine but the ip for the EU servers in Germany is a problem. When I'm logged in to the EU servers i get the exact same ping i get from the NA servers, so even though I'm in the EU servers I'm still connected to the NA servers somehow. This either means that we are unable to reach NCsoft EU servers or a shit load of people have problems with their internet, including myself even though everything works fine with everything except B&S EU. Hopefully this information can help in some way.

Edited by JianEWolf

pakjs   

Even tho 81 or 66 would be higher then normal for connecting to central Europe imo, it still should not make me have around 3-4 sec delays on all my skills.

Then your problem isn't in latency. Because your latency is around 66 ms or 81 ms and thats below 0.1 second.

3-4 seconds would mean 3000-4000 ms latency, which obviously isn't what resource monitor reports.

If you get those 3-4 seconds occasionally, then you should try keeping an eye on the resource monitor to see if it also registers such spikes at those moments.

Anyway, there are a lot of devices between your PC and the server and the problem can originate from any of them, including your PC and the server ofc. But the server fault is somewhat questionable, as there are a lot of ppl playing without issues. Then again, there are a lot of ppl reporting lag spikes on this server and having no issues on other servers.

Ask for help from some network/tech expert, i don't get paid for this  ;)

I did another tracer using the EU server ip. The first tracer i did was with the NA ip and it worked fine with no issues but with the EU one, this is what i got.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]

© 2013 Microsoft Corporation. Med ensamrätt.

C:\Windows\System32>tracert 206.127.149.3

Tracing route to 206-127-149-3.ncsoft.com [206.127.149.3]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms     3 ms     6 ms  192.168.1.1 [192.168.1.1]

2    37 ms    28 ms    36 ms  gw1-no132.bredband.skanova.com [81.230.30.129]

3    25 ms    46 ms    35 ms  kbn-b4-link.telia.net [62.115.139.82]

4    37 ms    34 ms    51 ms  kbn-bb4-link.telia.net [213.155.135.174]

5    25 ms    27 ms    41 ms  hbg-bb4-link.telia.net [213.155.134.207]

6    44 ms    31 ms    30 ms  ffm-bb2-link.telia.net [213.155.134.115]

7    32 ms    37 ms    43 ms  ffm-b1-link.telia.net [62.115.114.252]

8  ncsoft-ic-306349-ffm-b11.c.telia.net [62.115.43.74]  reports: Destination n

et unreachable.

Trace complete.

C:\Windows\System32>

This is what a lot of EU people have issues with i assume. The NA ip works fine but the ip for the EU servers in Germany is a problem. This either means that we are unable to reach NCsoft EU servers or a shit load of people have problems with their internet, including myself even though everything works fine with everything except B&S EU. Hopefully this information can help in some way.

Or the default ports used for tracert/ping (ICMP services) are closed or moved to other ports for security reasons?

Or tracert/ping (ICMP services) are blocked on server side by firewall for security reasons?

Just learned, that ICMP doesn't use ports, thanks for clarifying Youmukon.

Edited by pakjs

Then your problem isn't in latency. Because your latency is around 66 ms or 81 ms and thats below 0.1 second.

3-4 seconds would mean 3000-4000 ms latency, which obviously isn't what resource monitor reports.

If you get those 3-4 seconds occasionally, then you should try keeping an eye on the resource monitor to see if it also registers such spikes at those moments.

Anyway, there are a lot of devices between your PC and the server and the problem can originate from any of them, including your PC and the server ofc. But the server fault is somewhat questionable, as there are a lot of ppl playing without issues.

Or the default ports used for tracert/ping (ICMP services) are closed or moved to other ports for security reasons?

The delay is pretty much constant and only happens in BnS Eu so there's no reason to suspect any problem on my pc's end. Heck even playbns that have their servers in germany works perfectly so it should not be a problem with the game/internet either.

So either potato servers in  EU or fake EU servers in USA seem to be the most logical answer.

Anyway, there are a lot of devices between your PC and the server and the problem can originate from any of them, including your PC and the server ofc. But the server fault is somewhat questionable, as there are a lot of ppl playing without issues. Then again, there are a lot of ppl reporting lag spikes on this server and having no issues on other servers.

I do not know but why is it not the same for the NA ip then if that is the case? Because when i tracert the NA ip, i can reach it with no issues. The only difference is the higher ms and of course it's success to connect. This is indeed a tricky problem.

Youmukon   

Or the default ports used for tracert/ping (ICMP) are closed or moved to other ports for security reasons?

ICMP by definition doesn't use Ports as you know them. There's simply no concept of Ports when it comes to ICMP. Ports are used for transport layer such as TCP or UDP.

But yes blocking ICMP requests is something fairly standard and not being able to reach a specific host when sending ICMP requests (ping or tracert) doesn't necessarily mean that there is an issue. (And in that case there isn't).

There are multiple threads about this but nobody is giving us any responses. And having a server that makes it unplayable for a lot people is not a great plan, esp if we only find out after paying over 100 Euros.

The problem becomes suddenly more complicated to address when it's about some users experiencing a higher than usual latency, hence why you may not always receive a reply. It doesn't mean that we aren't looking at other threads :)

ICMP by definition doesn't use Ports as you know them. There's simply no concept of Ports when it comes to ICMP. Ports are used for transport layer such as TCP or UDP.

But yes blocking ICMP requests is something fairly standard and not being able to reach a specific host when sending ICMP requests (ping or tracert) doesn't necessarily mean that there is an issue. (And in that case there isn't).

The problem becomes suddenly more complicated to address when it's about some users experiencing a higher than usual latency, hence why you may not always receive a reply. It doesn't mean that we aren't looking at other threads :)

isn't the whole point of having of having forums instead just surveys to have communication from both ends, this is not a recent thing but has been reported in a earlier CBT without having a decent response about what is being done. Heck isn't the whole point of having severals CBTs is to fix things that are wrong between them? Esp if it's something so bad that it renders the game unplayable for a lot of people?

GnatB   

after chating with some IT guy on skype i figured that 206.127.149.3 might be authentication server IP and 195.12.176.99  might be the actual EU ip..

Uhmmm. doubtful.

13   196 ms   197 ms   198 ms  82-135-180-3.static.zebra.lt [82.135.180.3]
14   200 ms   200 ms   200 ms  cache.google.com [195.12.176.99]

Unless the servers are being hosted by google uhmm. caching.

BH6010   

I play from Poland. During NA CBT1 I was connected to IP range: 64.25.35.0 to 64.25.38.0 (or at least such range I unblocked in firewall).

During CBT2 I needed to grant access to this range: 206.127.149.3 to 206.127.149.17 to be able to play in EU servers.

Both CBT1 and CBT2/3 IPs are located in Austin, Texas, US.

For me it's clear that either EU server thing is bullsh*t. Or, players playing Alpha/CBT1 which characters got copied from US got their account scr3wed to login to US.

You can use this to see your ping https://imgur.com/a/OvHdw

Link was prepared by TaiSabaki, so credit to him :)

You can open task manager with ctrl+shift+esc (at least on win7).

TCP connections will show ping, Network Activity will show data transfer rate.

Thx I used it according to steps.

This is my result. It's in polish, but I marked latency part.

xttPTug.png

As I see all IPs are US and they vary from 80 to 280. Why?

I have 280ish ping to Taiwan, btw.

Edited by BH6010

GnatB   

How do you know 206.127.149.13 is in the U.S.?

According to my tracert, before it starts running into network that blocks the tracert service, it's gone from the U.S. to Frankfurt.   Seems likely 206.127.149.13 is in Germany.  Almost definitely some place in Europe.

Valiant   

How do you know 206.127.149.13 is in the U.S.?

According to my tracert, before it starts running into network that blocks the tracert service, it's gone from the U.S. to Frankfurt.   Seems likely 206.127.149.13 is in Germany.  Almost definitely some place in Europe.

Google any IP to know it location 

Sayk   

Hello there,

European Servers are located in Frankfurt, Germany and everyone selecting "Europe" on the launcher will connect to these. 

That being said the in-game web based menus such as "Character Info" are hosted on a server located in North America and this is intended. That is why you may think that your game is connecting to a North American server. 

You might experience a less responsive "Character Info" page when connecting from Europe, but that's a whole different issue and it should be discussed on a separate thread like the one Shiro mentioned above :)

Ingame functions for EU servers are hosted in NA and you call that as intended and good? How so? We paid same price for all the founder packs and we pay same price when we buy items from shop, i don't see anything working as intended good for us, when these EU servers are way more laggy than if we would play on the actual NA servers.

When EU buys founder packs and you promised we gonna have EU servers, we pretty much expect EU servers to be located in EU, not half here, half on your HQ cause your company is lazy or w/e.

When i open that Marketplace i expect it to work in real time and not in 30 seconds. Same for char info, it doesn't work pretty much at all for EU server, we open it, wait 30s and still look at the white page who won't even load at all.

I am expecting to get our servers completely in EU, not this joke your company tries now, else sadly, gonna have to refund for the founder pack cause its not what you promised and what we paid for.

Kaideus   

Yeah the fact that it's "working as intended" with regards to the Broker and Character info being on the NA servers is ridiculous, why do we have EU servers if both os these in-game functions are going to be on NA?

As reported by many here, else where on the forum and from the numerous amount of people mentioning it in-game, there is an unacceptable amount of delay with broker and it's even worse when it comes to the character window.

80% of the time the character window never loads, on the rare occasions it does it takes far to long and I'm not talking about a couple of seconds as it can easily be 10 plus seconds.

I don't understand what the point of giving us sub-par EU servers performance wise and also leaving some functions on NA servers, makes no sense at all and needs to be addressed.

We shouldn't  have a substandard gaming experience compared to NA just because we are in the EU.

Edited by Kaideus

Youmukon   

Hello!

I believe that there was a misunderstanding regarding my previous answer, my apologies for that :(. "Working as intended" in the context of that very thread (which implies that European servers are located in the US) meant that Web Features are located on a Server which isn't physically located in Europe hence why you may come across some IP addresses related to servers which aren't in Europe.

However I still want to reiterate that game servers are physically located in Europe.

Our Network Team is currently investigating issues some players are having when accessing Web Features in-game (Character Info / Marketplace) and we are aware of the various reports that we have been receiving on forums. We have also escalated issues some users are experiencing with fluctuating latency on European Realms.

We understand that this may be very frustrating and we would like to see all Europeans players enjoying the game at its fullest. As of now sadly I am not in position to say when the situation will improve for affected players, but I can assure you that we are taking these issues seriously.

Sayk   

My point is, according to your statement, EU will always have to deal with lag and never have working char info cause of NcSoft servers being in NA and not on EU? The web based ones.
I expect them to be on EU and not NA, as i don't pay for something just to struggle playing with 200-300 ping on it.
Need to know this, as in that case if i'll have to deal with same lag and never working things at launch, i will just reconsider this game and gonna have to do a refund for the pack as its definately not working as supposed.
Thanks. :)

Edited by Sayk

Hello!

I believe that there was a misunderstanding regarding my previous answer, my apologies for that :(. "Working as intended" in the context of that very thread (which implies that European servers are located in the US) meant that Web Features are located on a Server which isn't physically located in Europe hence why you may come across some IP addresses related to servers which aren't in Europe.

However I still want to reiterate that game servers are physically located in Europe.

Our Network Team is currently investigating issues some players are having when accessing Web Features in-game (Character Info / Marketplace) and we are aware of the various reports that we have been receiving on forums. We have also escalated issues some users are experiencing with fluctuating latency on European Realms.

We understand that this may be very frustrating and we would like to see all Europeans players enjoying the game at its fullest. As of now sadly I am not in position to say when the situation will improve for affected players, but I can assure you that we are taking these issues seriously.

No its not even frustrating anymore it just seems like a bad joke, and from what i can see on faction and pvp chat 90% of players are affected. Ping just randomly jumps from 20ms to 150+ ms, which makes it impossible to enjoy pvp, but mostly stays around 90-120.

7213e323729f28fff9cb25a751b2a0f9.png last number 117 is the ping and its been like that for last 2hrs., while it should be around 30-40 to Frankfurt from my location.

My net line is "decent" 60mb/s in most games my ping is not higher than 50.

#edit

Little update on late evning hours.

26f80ff706fa883f78ba711a32df4148.png <- ping ;)

Edited by Szilerini