Mage

Blade and Soul is being censored despite them previously saying otherwise.

Waugriff   

No, I'm not going to laugh at a man who sexually harassed women and is then "punished" by getting one pregnant.

Censorship involves external bodies making judgments on a work. If I write a story and then, in the process of editing, decide that I made a really dumb decision at some point and then change it, that is not censorship.

The localization team did not write the story, I'm afraid they don't quite have enough talent for that. They are altering the story simply because it triggers them, and perhaps because of some ridiculous and unfounded view that players will care in the slightest. 

Naunet   

This is true, however, the team of writers that wrote the original story is not the team of writers who chose to censor it and then wrote the replacement. The original story still exists in all other regions versions of the game. The team of writers assigned to the NA release censored the story of their own accord.

If localization for BnS works anything like localization for any other non-Western MMO, then the writers for NA are in constant contact with the Korean writers, and the latter approve each change made.

The localization team did not write the story, I'm afraid they don't quite have enough talent for that. They are altering the story simply because it triggers them, and perhaps because of some ridiculous and unfounded view that players will care in the slightest. 

Clearly people care. The localization team cared. Several people in this thread care.

Edited by Naunet

No matter, it's a mature game and with some maturity, you should be able to laugh at something like this and don't get a butthurt. Trying to please a bunch of special snowflakes was everything but something to do.

A very similar quest on the Aion's Elyos side got a funny adaptation. B&S adaptation is just a boring one.

And I feel quite justified in saying that anyone who says something like this is being a total douchebag.

Women have been the butt-end of shitty jokes for a significant chunk of human history. Jokes like these are punching down. They're in bad taste and you really should feel bad for perpetuating them.

We, as a civilized, modern society, have collectively decided that sexism and racism are not good things. Thus it is only fair that an obviously and unquestionably sexist joke gets changed to not be a bloody sexist joke. I mean, seriously, this is really not far removed from a "get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich!" joke.

On top of that, it's a freakin' one-shot side quest that you'll do once per character and then promptly completely forget about. The whole thread on the Dojo was an absolute travesty, a display so pathetic it made me hang my head in shame. I can only hope you guys really aren't that invested in a single side quest that really wasn't very entertaining from the get go.

Edited by Zyrusticae

If localization for BnS works anything like localization for any other non-Western MMO, then the writers for NA are in constant contact with the Korean writers, and the latter approve each change made.

LWS said this

" Any sort of major rewrites or changes to game content were never done in a vacuum, as anything of that degree was always run past the whole group and final decision was given to those higher on the developmental food chain."

Looks like Bloodlust approved the change. They probably saw it as a problem as well.

Like I said earlier, it starts from a side-quest and then goes to main storyline, where would it stops then ?

Laughing at something never hurts someone, whether is a woman, a man or even an animal. Seriously, you just got a butthurt about something who didn't please your SJW agenda ...

Waugriff   

Clearly people care. The localization team cared. Several people in this thread care.

A vocal minority does not mean the majority of players will care.

Rahaya   

This moral outrage is surprisingly selective. Or not surprisingly, I suppose. There is a quest as part of the storyline about martial artists coming to help clear a section of the Everdusk of monsters and were driven mad. You then go kill them. There's no outrage over the main story quest advocating the hero going out and simply killing the violently mentally impaired.

There is no outrage over killing the 'madmen' suffering PTSD in the desert zone. But this is what gets people up in arms. Amazing.

I'm more upset that the reference was removed entirely, when it is well within scope to just edit dialog. There is nothing hardcoded in the game that it has to be seen as a punishment. Changing the philander's character was apparently simply enough. 

Edited by Rahaya

Lurkios   

On top of that, it's a freakin' one-shot side quest that you'll do once per character and then promptly completely forget about. The whole thread on the Dojo was an absolute travesty, a display so pathetic it made me hang my head in shame. I can only hope you guys really aren't that invested in a single side quest that really wasn't very entertaining from the get go.

To be perfectly honest I'd have the exact same response if they'd censored a single word in a quest line for a class I never intended to play. I dislike the censorship on principal and I fear the precedent it sets.

As a side note: While my feelings for the original quest would probably be best described as "mild amusement", I found the new text incredibly bland and uninteresting. At least the original text sparked a reaction, as can be seen here. The new story, to me, is just boring.

Waugriff   

LWS said this

" Any sort of major rewrites or changes to game content were never done in a vacuum, as anything of that degree was always run past the whole group and final decision was given to those higher on the developmental food chain."

Looks like Bloodlust approved the change. They probably saw it as a problem as well.

Yes I'm sure the localization team did a good job convincing the Koreans that it was a problem for western players as opposed to just themselves. 

Another thing, do we all remember the Tera censor debacle with the Elins? I remember alot of complaining over that as well. But you know what, this minor problem with BnS is pale in comparason to that. What EME/BHS did with that is still being brought up in the forums.

If one quest has to be censored instead of tera did to Elins and other things. Im all for it.

This is ridiculous. It is only the text of a small sidequest that no ones even gives a *cricket*. The only reason people even know they changed it is because one person found it out and the developers replied. This reaction is way out of proportion and only makes the complainers look like a bunch of misogynistc entitled brats.

Edited by Akaigenesis

Like I said earlier, it starts from a side-quest and then goes to main storyline, where would it stops then ?

Slippery slope is a fallacy.

LWS has already made it clear that there are some things about the storyline that are literally untouchable. Obviously, a lot of main story developments fall under this category. There is no logical reason to be concerned about it getting Flanderized.

Laughing at something never hurts someone, whether is a woman, a man or even an animal. Seriously, you just got a butthurt about something who didn't please your SJW agenda ...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Bullshit.

You're telling me you've never once been humiliated in your entire life by people laughing at something you did? Not once?

You're an outlier here, friend. You shouldn't speak for anyone else if this is how you feel.

Yes I'm sure the localization team did a good job convincing the Koreans that it was a problem for western players as opposed to just themselves.

This isn't really a problem for anyone, really.

It just makes some people feel icky. The old quest wasn't exactly going to make or break anyone's game experience, so the opposition to seeing it changed just seems that much more childish for blowing the whole thing out of proportion.

Yes, the quest isn't so terrible that it absolutely HAD to be changed OR ELSE... but then again, the old quest wasn't so great that it HAD to stay the way it is or significant chunks of the player base would be like NO THANKS.

It's a really small blip on the radar.

It's a really tiny issue overall.

So why, then, the outsized outrage, the over-the-top anger, over something so little? Doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by Zyrusticae

Lurkios   

Another thing, do we all remember the Tera censor debacle with the Elins? I remember alot of complaining over that as well. But you know what, this minor problem with BnS is pale in comparason to that. What EME/BHS did with that is still being brought up in the forums.

If one quest has to be censored instead of tera did to Elins and other things. Im all for it.

BNS all but admitted its mistake on that front. While the originally altered costumes were never restored, they were the first and last to be censored - including several I personally found rather distasteful. But hey, I don't have to wear them - you won't see me trying to have them taken away from those who do enjoy them.

Edited by Lurkios

Waugriff   

It isn't a question of "has to" but rather a question of stupidity.

Pim   

You're an outlier here, friend. You shouldn't speak for anyone else if this is how you feel.

Maybe take your own words ..You shouldnt speak for anyone else.....

Waugriff   

Slippery slope is a fallacy.

LWS has already made it clear that there are some things about the storyline that are literally untouchable. Obviously, a lot of main story developments fall under this category. There is no logical reason to be concerned about it getting Flanderized.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Bullshit.

You're telling me you've never once been humiliated in your entire life by people laughing at something you did? Not once?

This isn't really a problem for anyone, really.

It just makes some people feel icky. The old quest wasn't exactly going to make or break anyone's game experience, so the opposition to seeing it changed just seems that much more childish for blowing the whole thing out of proportion.

Yes, the quest isn't so terrible that it absolutely HAD to be changed OR ELSE... but then again, the old quest wasn't so great that it HAD to stay the way it is or significant chunks of the player base would be like NO THANKS.

It's a really small blip on the radar.

It's a really tiny issue overall.

So why, then, the outsized outrage, the over-the-top anger, over something so little? Doesn't make sense to me.

If you are emotionally hurt or humiliated by a quest in a video game you need to grow up.

Not even once. Because the life keeps flowing no matter what.

If you are emotionally hurt or humiliated by a quest in a video game you need to grow up.

That's the point.

Helln   

This is true, however, the team of writers that wrote the original story is not the team of writers who chose to censor it and then wrote the replacement. The original story still exists in all other regions versions of the game. The team of writers assigned to the NA release censored the story of their own accord.

No in china there are no side quests. So yeah it was changed in another region. I think ncsoft would of done better just removing all side quests like they did in china. Of course a form of this topic would still exist.

Edited by Helln

This moral outrage is surprisingly selective. Or not surprisingly, I suppose. There is a quest as part of the storyline about martial artists coming to help clear a section of the Everdusk of monsters and were driven mad. You then go kill them. There's no outrage over the main story quest advocating the hero going out and simply killing the violently mentally impaired.

There is no outrage over killing the 'madmen' suffering PTSD in the desert zone. But this is what gets people up in arms. Amazing.

I'm more upset that the reference was removed entirely, when it is well within scope to just edit dialog. There is nothing hardcoded in the game that it has to be seen as a punishment. Changing the philander's character was apparently simply enough. 

The moral outrage is because unlike the murder of PTSD sufferers there are real women raped and otherwise assaulted every day. Victims of sexual violence are made uncomfortable by depictions of sexual violence in entertainment. Now I'm not saying this is sexual VIOLENCE, but it's within the realm of it. It's using the violation of a woman's right to consent and privacy and making a joke of it. Yes, Aion had a similar quest, but the tone of it was vastly different than this one: In aion the young man who asked the PC to steal the nymph's clothes was hopelessly in love with the nymph in a romantic way,not in a lustful, lecherous, viewing women as an object, creepy and gross sort of way,. 

Honestly, the complaining from (what appears to be) males about this quest dialogue being changed (and their inability to comprehend why it was changed) makes me tremendously uncomfortable, even more uncomfortable than the original quest dialogue does. Really boys, it's disgusting and you should be ashamed of yourself. 

Maybe take your own words ..You shouldnt speak for anyone else.....

Social anxiety is normal. A complete lack of social anxiety and empathy is a strong symptom of psychopathy.

Needless to say, a significant chunk of the player base does not consist of psychopaths. So yeah, I'm going to speak for them.

If you are going to completely ignore the feelings of others because you don't share them, you need to grow up.

And get some freakin' empathy. (Who am I kidding though - I know exactly the kind of people I'm talking to.)

Not even once. Because the life keeps flowing no matter what.

Yeah, done here. Not interested in trying to speak to people with this kind of psychosis.

Hrefna   

I see why they changed it, and approve of their reasons.  They could have perhaps have handled the storytelling a little more skillfully, but the reasons why they changed it seem obvious to me.  What disturbs me is the violent reactions of those who are literally foaming at the mouth over this relatively minor change, and their vicious denigration of anyone who disagrees with them.  It's like gamergate is getting replayed here on the BnS forums. They should really just shut this puppy down.

Pim   

The moral outrage is because unlike the murder of PTSD sufferers there are real women raped and otherwise assaulted every day. 

Ah and how much humans being murdered every day ? .....

I see why they changed it, and approve of their reasons.  They could have perhaps have handled the storytelling a little more skillfully, but the reasons why they changed it seem obvious to me.  What disturbs me is the violent reactions of those who are literally foaming at the mouth over this relatively minor change, and their vicious denigration of anyone who disagrees with them.  It's like gamergate is getting replayed here on the BnS forums. They should really just shut this puppy down.

It's the same mentality of those who that lost their minds over Anita Sarkeesian pointing out sexism in video games. Immature boys (not men) who can't get attention from women in real life, likely because of their demented views on what constitutes acceptable ways to treat women. 

Edited by QueenSheba

Ah and how much humans being murdered every day ? .....

You missed the point.

People who are killed cannot complain about depictions of killing because they are dead.

Sexual assault victims survive a much higher proportion of their encounters and thus suffer from loads of psychological disorders as a result of these incidents. Sexual assault is a serious crime - possibly the single most heinous crime a human being can inflict upon another outside of extended torture (hell, it itself is a form of torture, really). There's a reason why there is ALWAYS an outcry against any depictions of sexual assault, no matter how justified it is in-universe.

Edited by Zyrusticae

Pim   

Yeah, done here. Not interested in trying to speak to people with this kind of psychosis.

Typical for guys dont have Argumengts do be start insulting ...report that, now is enough