Mage

Blade and Soul is being censored despite them previously saying otherwise.

It didn't have a huge impact because people were easily able to modify the game back to the way that it should have been.  I was one of them.

Had I not been able to make as many changes as I did, most likely I would have quit Tera a lot sooner as would have many friends of mine.

It's unwise to fix things that arent broken. It's also a little insulting to have things dumbed down or...hidden as if we're children.

Most BnS players are grown adults. We should be treated as such. This is why any type of censorship does not make sense.

Whether the impact is small or large does not matter. It should not be changed in the first place as there is no good clear reason.

Fortunately, you will be able to fix it yourself quite easily (assuming the people who say they're interested in creating a mod that's closer to the original follow through with it).

I do agree that some changes border on insulting - particularly the name changes. However, my investment level in this area is so low that I can only respond with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

This entire post is a blatant, intellectually-dishonest, and fundamental attack on basic reason.

The original work is objectively the original.

The censorship of that work is a subjective change based on subjective grounds.

My position is for the maintenance of objectivity in localizing the work. The only "agenda" there is the enforcement of objectivity, while theirs has been the purging of "wrongthink" in order to push their political ideology.

For instance, if someone who loves moustaches "was disturbed" by the mona lisa and put a moustache on it, any reasonable person would objectively call it desecration.

I repeat, you cannot characterize arguing for "no change" as "agenda-pushing".

Fixed your formatting for you.

You missed the point, sadly. Yes, the original is obviously the original. No shit?

The value of the original, on the other hand, is still entirely up for debate. Obviously, you value the original very highly. I (and the writing team, and whoever their handler is on the Korean side) obviously do not. There lies the point of contention.

I love the use of "wrongthink" here. It makes it sound so much sinister than it actually is. Remember, this is a mass-produced multi-million dollar commercial product, not a single solitary work of art (like the Mona Lisa). Analogies to private artwork do not hold.

Edited by Zyrusticae

BigJ01   

Just a mild form of protest against the censorship/bastardization of titles, lore, personalities, etc. in the NA release of B&S.

If that's your entire point then your entire point is invalid. It is censorship. It is the very definition of censorship.

cen·sor·ship

noun

the practice of officially examining books, movies, etc., and suppressing unacceptable parts.

Quoting a definition does nothing. Here's the definition for localization:

Localization is the adaptation of a product or service to meet the needs of a particular language, culture or desired population's "look-and-feel."

Now here is the definition of suppress for the definition of censorship where they say "suppressing unacceptable parts"

sup·press

verb

1. forcibly put an end to.
    "the uprising was savagely suppressed"
    synonyms: subduerepresscrushquellquashsquash, stamp out; More

So please explain to me where they are "forcibly putting to an end" any of the original content? Is it that side quest? Because they never ended that side quest, they just changed it to fit a western audience better.

Keyword: Change. Changing is not "forcibly putting to an end". And example of that would be the censorship of chat ingame, where the f word is turned into ****, or in other words "put to an end".

Regardless of what you think, according to the English language, and NCsoft themselves, this is localization and not censorship.

Edited by BigJ01

You missed the point, sadly. Yes, the original is obviously the original. No shit?

The value of the original, on the other hand, is still entirely up for debate. Obviously, you value the original very highly. I (and the writing team, and whoever their handler is on the Korean side) obviously do not. There lies the point of contention.

You can "debate" the value of the original all you want, when you impose changes to the original you are censoring it and in so doing pushing your agenda.  Arguing against that censorship is, by definition, not only not  pushing an agenda, but arguing against the pushing of any agenda.

I love the use of "wrongthink" here. It makes it sound so much sinister than it actually is. Remember, this is a mass-produced multi-million dollar commercial product, not a single solitary work of art (like the Mona Lisa). Analogies to private artwork do not hold.

First off, any media can be propagandized by selective censorship.

Second, we're back to that bingo card again, specifically, the "it's not art so it doesn't matter" excuse.

If it doesn't matter whether it's censored or not, then you should have zero problems with us advocating the censorship be removed then, restoring the creator's original expression and vision, right?

Man, i'm just going to spew my last 2 cents here. Hopefully any non-rabid, mouth foaming, mindless censorship screaming individuals will take note of this and actually have an understanding on it.

Anyone who disagrees with me is a "mouth foaming, mindles screamer"

And those same de-humanizing and othering tactics again so typical of the agenda-pushing censors and their defenders

Localization is the adaptation of a product or service to meet the needs of a particular language, culture or desired population's "look-and-feel."

Now here is the definition of suppress for the definition of censorship where they say "suppressing unacceptable parts"

sup·press

verb

synonyms: subduerepresscrushquellquashsquash, stamp out; More

So please explain to me where they are "forcibly putting to an end" any of the original content? Is it that side quest? Because they never ended that side quest, they just changed it to fit a western audience better.

Keyword: Change. Changing is not "forcibly putting to an end". And example of that would be the censorship of chat ingame, where the f word is turned into ****, or in other words "put to an end".

Regardless of what you think, according to the English language, and NCsoft themselves, this is localization and not censorship.

The side quest was "forcibly put to an end".  Something new they found "desirable" Per the definition of "censorship" was put into its place.

You can attempt to twist semantics all you like, it's censorship.

Edited by plasmacutter

sup·press

verb

synonyms: subduerepresscrushquellquashsquash, stamp out; More

So please explain to me where they are "forcibly putting to an end" any of the original content? Is it that side quest? Because they never ended that side quest, they just changed it to fit a western audience better.

You can't honesty believe the nonsense you're spouting.

Changing stuff that is deemed unacceptable is the same as removing it. Most censorship is even done by changing things, not just by downright removing it. The original content is suppressed and changed to something more comfortable to the ones doing the censoring.

When the French Revolutionaries went around changing history books to no longer mention religion, it was censorship. When the Nazis went around changing scientific texts to no longer mention jews in a positive light, it was censorship. When the CCA went around changing the horror and violent elements in comics to be more family-friendly, it was censorship. When creationists go around changing documentaries and books that mention Darwin and the evolution theory to stuff mentioning Creationism, it is censorship. And when this incompetent Western writing team of NCSoft goes around changing the original story in the game to no longer mention things they deem problematic, it is censorship.

The story of that side-quest (and many other things) as it was is removed. In its place is a totally different story that is pretty much the complete opposite of the original story. It's censorship, clear and simple.

Whether you think the censorship was warranted or not is a completely different question. But don't be a retard and pretend it isn't censorship because it obviously very much is.

Youmukon   

All right, I was reluctant to close this thread yesterday but seeing how the discussion hasn't moved and how nonconstructive most posts were in the last 15+ pages I don't really see any value of keeping it open.

We understand that some of you are really adamant when it comes to Localization. Our Senior Writer, Stephen,
created a thread here for everyone to ask him questions directly when it comes to the English Localization of Blade & Soul. The team is really open about explaining why certain choices were taken. You may not agree with answers you will be given or the direction of these choices and that is perfectly fine. But we also need everyone to accept answers that are being given. Not everyone can be please with everything.

We are fine with Localization-related threads posted in the General Discussion forums, however posting dozen of messages to constantly express the very same opinion won't help a discussion moving forward (and this is valid for all topics, not only Localization). If anything, it discourages other players to jump in.

So in the future please keep one picture macro reply to a minimum, avoid attacking other participants themselves but confront their ideas instead with valid arguments. Stop arguing about things which aren't related to the initial thread and more importantly, make efforts to turn discussions into something that will be fruitful. This will have to be a collective effort, from all participants.

Thank you for your understanding and again thank you for helping us improving Blade & Soul.

Small note regarding Moderation:

Lot of messages in this thread got reported to our Moderation team. Closing the thread right now doesn't mean that no one will receive penalties for messages posted here. If our Moderation team notices tomorrow that some messages in this thread broke our
Code of Conduct, expect your forum account to receive a warning, be suspended or terminated (depending on the severity of the offense and/or your previous record).