Mage

Blade and Soul is being censored despite them previously saying otherwise.

Xerorei   

Not if it revolved around what is essentially sexual assault. So please don't put words in my mouth. There's a very good reason it made the writers uncomfortable.

Happily married woman, actually. Not that it matters. Humans are humans and generally deserve respect. And perving on unwilling people isn't really okay even if it's in a video game. I know it's not a quest I would have felt at all comfortable completing in its original form.

Except it's an acutal part of lore and myth in other parts of the world, so much that it's appeared in two of NC Soft Korea's games and SEVERAL other korean, chinese, japanese, and Thai mmorpgs. Repeatedly.

There are more cultures with other myths and legends out there than just the West. Keep that in mind.

Enough with the back-and-forth.

This is NCSoft's choice, and it's my choice to request my money back, and that's exactly what I'm doing at this time.

Vox Day is quite clear: the only way to stop this kind of politically-correct white-washing is to make it clear you won't finance it.

I get 3 figures back, and if they want to cater to "safe-spacers" they can do it with safe-spacer money. If I see NC reverse course, I can always re-purchase later.

Edited by plasmacutter

If you can't stand for the localizaiton team having MORAL STANDARDS, then you can go to the other zones that have other, different moral standards that are more in line with yours.

Because remember: if you want the original quest, you can go to the other versions that have it. Isn't that what most white knights of this game do in these forums, anyway? The 'if you don't like this one aspect of the game, then LEAVE' defense?

If you can't stand for the localizaiton team having MORAL STANDARDS, then you can go to the other zones that have other, different moral standards that are more in line with yours.

Because remember: if you want the original quest, you can go to the other versions that have it. Isn't that what most white knights of this game do in these forums, anyway? The 'if you don't like this one aspect of the game, then LEAVE' defense?

That's what I'm doing at this point. I encourage others who despise censorship of asian media do the same.  When it impacts NC's wallet we may see a tune-change.  As for "MORAL STANDARDS", i don't call bigotry and cultural-erasure "moral".

If the localization team were fundamentalist christians or radical islamists imposing their values on the entire anglosphere, you'd be furious.  Well, feminists are equally militant and equally divorced from secular culture, and have no business altering the game's content because they're "uncomfortable". 

News of this is already spreading through various enthusiast communities online. I fully expect it to be common knowledge within a week.

I repeat: I don't need Orwell's "ministry of truth" sanitizing my media of "wrongthink", and refuse to be complicit by financing it.  I can only hope news of this continues to spread and draw highly-warranted outrage.

Edited by plasmacutter

This is NCSoft's choice, and it's my choice to request my money back, and that's exactly what I'm doing at this time.

Vox Day is quite clear: the only way to stop this kind of politically-correct white-washing is to make it clear you won't finance it.

I get 3 figures back, and if they want to cater to "safe-spacers" they can do it with safe-spacer money. If I see NC reverse course, I can always re-purchase later.

I'm with ya, I've decided that with the long delayed release and this censorship that I don't need to drop money on this title.

Maybe someone will hear that they censored "problematic content" and come spend money in my place, I'm sure that always happens.

Who gives a shit?

The people that care for maintaining how the story should be.  Honestly, how is it possible that in 2015 and in a free first world country we're still having a "sanitized" script for this particular quest in the English version, when there was a promise of no censorship, especially in a mature game?  This shouldn't be hard.  We're actual grownups, not prissy college snowflakes!

Rahaya   

The people that care for maintaining how the story should be.  Honestly, how is it possible that in 2015 and in a free first world country we're still having a "sanitized" script for this particular quest in the English version, when there was a promise of no censorship, especially in a mature game?  This shouldn't be hard.  We're actual grownups, not prissy college snowflakes!

Honestly, at this point I'm not sure the writers know the rating of the game they were working on. Games like God of War are also rated mature. From the evidence, this team would have censored the crap out of that.

promise of no censorship

On the outfits.

Not on the names.

Not on the story.

Not on the quests.

Not on the designs of enemies or NPCs.

21 pages of this, and I'm just sitting here wondering how nobody saw this coming months ahead of time.

Wondering how many actually expect changes this late into translation/localization.

Honestly, I don't care either way. I'll skip through all of it regardless.

I'm here for the gameplay. Any sort of story is just a bonus.

Edited by Succubus Lilith

Kounat   

qScDc5i.png

Please, abuse me more! Insult me! Step all over me! I beg you! I NEED THIS!

Just entered the thread for the first time since page 1 and saw this

Lmfao... You guys are having too much fun in here without me...

Xenire   

I think part of the problem is the "writers" are rather ignorant in terms of what they are actually doing the writing for; this is not an uncommon thing at all. If you had a team well versed in other necessitated cultures along with the game itself which they are working on -- the results would probably be drastically different. I'm making somewhat of an assumption, but it makes sense to me because I've seen it happen with other adaptations of media. The only thing on the agenda is basically "could this be offensive to someone?" and pretty much everything else is second priority including the integrity of the game. Although, the way that particular writer explained his stance was rather awful making him sound ridiculously over-sensitive and it reflects horribly on the team.

All that being said, I'm kind of surprised outfits weren't censored. I don't like what they have done and it's a real shame, but I'm in it for the gameplay and I already know most of the story anyway. They didn't censor anything other than the story so I can at least overlook that, but it's actually worse for players who don't know the story. It's best if you get the story of the game from a third party report so that way you can be sure you are getting the real deal that isn't haphazard rewriting in the name of over-sensitivity.

Edited by Xenire

I repeat: I don't need Orwell's "ministry of truth" sanitizing my media of "wrongthink", and refuse to be complicit by financing it.  I can only hope news of this continues to spread and draw highly-warranted outrage.

I'm with ya, I've decided that with the long delayed release and this censorship that I don't need to drop money on this title.

Maybe someone will hear that they censored "problematic content" and come spend money in my place, I'm sure that always happens.

75fZARM.png

Good luck with your boycott! May your efforts be fruitful and never fall prey to the SJW menace!  :D

Kirsche   

Surprised there is censorship coming out of this game.
In Aion there was a similar quest, with no cultural lore tied to it, where you stole a Nymph's clothing to give to her stalker who watched her bathe every day.

FFXIV had a goldsmithing quest to make female genital piercings for a harem of prostitutes...and there was a Fate where you protected one so you could deliver her to the man who bought her for the evening.
The NPC who owned the Costa Del Sol area, had his own group of female "attendants" and he would loan them out.
The questline for Arcanist involved helping a woman who was abused physically/sexually by pirates and getting revenge on them.
End of the dark knight questline you kill a little girl's mother in front of her.
Weaver questline, you dress up some poor guy to impress a girl of higher status he likes. He goes to find her after the last quest, and finds her boyfriend about to punch her in the face; "When I speak to you, I expect your full attention! I'll teach you how to behave, woman!" implying she's suffered at the hands of this guy before. Guy you dressed up for the quest gets in the way and takes the hit instead though.
There's a flashback of some Ala Mihgan refugee being treated horribly in Ul Dah, afterwards she talks about how she was raped.
In fact, multiple Ala Mihgan refugees in the main scenario talk about having been raped.
You encounter a bandit troupe in a questline, that upon finding out you have no valuables, says "let's see what you've got in your smallclothes then"
There's another quest that has you chase off some peeping toms watching prostitutes bathe in a hot spring.
The Culinarian questline, the boss has you make dishes for one of his chefs because "she isn't working well" She basically says she isn't working well because she's on her period.
I'm sure there's more I'm missing that I can't remember...and the post is getting kind of long.
and XIV only has a T rating, in comparison to BnS's M.
Obviously the difference between top notch translators and whatever is translating this one.

Personally, I don't care too much about quest text, but to alter it because it was "misogynistic" is asinine. This is not real life. The more people in development can get away with changing any aspect of a game due to muh feels, the more sanitized our multiplayer games will become.

75fZARM.png

Good luck with your boycott! May your efforts be fruitful and never fall prey to the SJW menace!  :D

I said I wont spend money, not that I wouldn't play, but I guess trying to post memes is more your speed.

I said I wont spend money, not that I wouldn't play, but I guess trying to post memes is more your speed.

acsbYcB.jpg

Are you sure that's wise? You never know when you'll be tempted to give them money if you keep playing regardless! After all, something like this might happen to you:

y8W5bwW.png

And wouldn't that be embarrassing?

Surprised there is censorship coming out of this game.

In Aion there was a similar quest, with no cultural lore tied to it, where you stole a Nymph's clothing to give to her stalker who watched her bathe every day.

FFXIV had a goldsmithing quest to make female genital piercings for a harem of prostitutes...and there was a Fate where you protected one so you could deliver her to the man who bought her for the evening.

The NPC who owned the Costa Del Sol area, had his own group of female "attendants" and he would loan them out.

The questline for Arcanist involved helping a woman who was abused physically/sexually by pirates and getting revenge on them.

End of the dark knight questline you kill a little girl's mother in front of her.

Weaver questline, you dress up some poor guy to impress a girl of higher status he likes. He goes to find her after the last quest, and finds her boyfriend about to punch her in the face; "When I speak to you, I expect your full attention! I'll teach you how to behave, woman!" implying she's suffered at the hands of this guy before. Guy you dressed up for the quest gets in the way and takes the hit instead though.

There's a flashback of some Ala Mihgan refugee being treated horribly in Ul Dah, afterwards she talks about how she was raped.

In fact, multiple Ala Mihgan refugees in the main scenario talk about having been raped.

You encounter a bandit troupe in a questline, that upon finding out you have no valuables, says "let's see what you've got in your smallclothes then"

There's another quest that has you chase off some peeping toms watching prostitutes bathe in a hot spring.

The Culinarian questline, the boss has you make dishes for one of his chefs because "she isn't working well" She basically says she isn't working well because she's on her period.

I'm sure there's more I'm missing that I can't remember...and the post is getting kind of long.

and XIV only has a T rating, in comparison to BnS's M.

Obviously the difference between top notch translators and whatever is translating this one.

Personally, I don't care too much about quest text, but to alter it because it was "misogynistic" is asinine. This is not real life. The more people in development can get away with changing any aspect of a game due to muh feels, the more sanitized our multiplayer games will become.

Great now someone is going to go and start crying at SE to change those "problematic" quests.

Keeping an Eye out for bad translator groups like 8-4, apparently they get more money the more time they spend "Westernizing" so this seems like one of those situations where they just change random shit so they get paid more

akael   

TERA and FF14 conspicuously avoided censorship and they're the most successful MMORPGs on the market.

I will give them a bit of the benefit of the doubt and say it was merely a poor choice on the half of the translation team at NCSWest and not a corporate order from NCS proper. Because of that, I'll keep watching the game, but this kind of going back on your word isn't something I can pay into with my own money.

I'll wait for release and play it for free. If that quest is properly translated I'll feel fine paying money into it, otherwise I'll avoid doing so.

Xenire   

TERA and FF14 conspicuously avoided censorship and they're the most successful MMORPGs on the market.

Huh? They censored the Elin in TERA and suffered endless complaints/controversy for it (later on they stopped censoring their outfits as far as I know). However, It was very easy to reverse their changes if someone wished do so, but it was still a mistake on their part.

Huh? They censored the Elin in TERA and suffered endless complaints/controversy for it (later on they stopped censoring their outfits as far as I know). However, It was very easy to reverse their changes if someone wished do so, but it was still a mistake on their part.

As far as I'm aware they apologized for the censorship of Elin afterward and didn't care if anyone used tools to uncensor

Benomono   

I believe it's clear the character was supposed to be unlikable, I'm really not sure why you would censor the quest. I think the team should focus on translating. I just don't believe it's ok to censor this scene. Please focus on more important stuff and don't waste your time and our time as it is obvious those kind of changes also make the translation process longer as well.

Xenire   

I believe it's clear the character was supposed to be unlikable, I'm really not sure why you would censor the quest. I think the team should focus on translating. I just don't believe it's ok to censor this scene. Please focus on more important stuff and don't waste your time and our time as it is obvious those kind of changes also make the translation process longer as well.

The game is being translated in Korea as far as I know. The western team are merely "writers". In my opinion, they should be acting as editors rather than writers with the prerogative to protect the sensitive or rewrite based on their own sensibilities. I don't see it as being very professional or respectful to the original work.

Here they are changing parts of the plot and side quests out of irrationality while the skill translations remain horrible.

Edited by Xenire

hennessy   

So this is why we have awful voice-acting?  Because NCSoft would rather divert valuable time to sanitizing the game?  HOLD ON HERE.

I gave NCSoft a pass when they gave a bullshit reason for their awful voicepack, but this is it for me.  I'm requesting a refund for my Masters Pack.

We wanted the foreign voice pack, no.  We wanted a server for US West & US East, not just US-Central; no.  We wanted no censorship, no.

Thanks for setting an awful tone before the game even launches.  My friends have been considering this game too, but we're not going to join anymore.

Edited by hennessy