Mage

Blade and Soul is being censored despite them previously saying otherwise.

No, I am not talking about the outfits. I am talking about a specific side quest. Yes, I do read them. The side quest in question will be marked as a spoiler and will be a quote from another thread.

Even if you agree with what was done (I don't. I REALLY REALLY don't) It is still censorship. But NCSOFT claimed there would be no censorship. Now, they might try to backpedal and say they were only referring to the clothes. However, I'll post three sites that claim that NCSOFT said there won't be any censorship or the game will be completely uncensored. 

http://nichegamer.com/2015/05/rejoice-no-censorship-or-fatigue-system-for-the-western-version-of-blade-soul/

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/05/21/blade-game-wont-be-pay-to-win/

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/05/22/western-version-of-blade-soul-will-be-free-to-play-uncensored-and-will-have-no-fatigue-system/

Not only is this censorship, but they are hiding away cultural aspects of the eastern areas. They are insulting the players, the creator of the quest, and ultimately changing and removing the culture, history, and folk lore of the eastern part of our would. The fact that this game has an Asian theme is, at least for me, a major selling point. Most MMOs take place in the same old boring High European Fantasy setting. We finally get a fantasy Asian setting, only for NCSOFT to take aspects of it away for a minority of players. I mean lets face it. The ones who will keep playing this game far after launch are the ones who love this type of setting. They don't want the world of Blade & Soul to be westernized, they just want it translated. 

How Mage is not banned yet I don't even know - he is basically insulting Asian culture:

"but they are hiding away cultural aspects of the eastern areas. They are insulting the players, the creator of the quest, and ultimately changing and removing the culture, history, and folk lore of the eastern part of our would."

So you know everything about Asian culture because you watch a few anime? hahaahahahaah.. that is the most insulting, dumb thing I have ever read. 

You are saying this: Asian culture is about guys who are impotent, who are peeping toms and more like using them as sex toys (which you apparently support).... according to that quest - which you say is hiding away cultural aspects of eastern areas... hahahaha.... gosh and better yet show me some good old cultural references to guys stealing girls clothes so they will marry him.

And all of this over one silly quest? looool..

Why dont ya go talk to some real Asian people and we will see how mad they get about this pure insult to them :) - dont let the ban hammer hit you on the way out.

Edited by Unrelenting

Cherish   

NCsoft are not going to re-edit and add back stuff that has been changed for what in their eyes is a valid reason.  If you dont like the small text and graphic changes your threats of not supporting the game mean zip....... zilch....... zero to NCsoft as you are one of the few and not one of the many.  Its pretty clear from this thread that the changes were made to accomodate the  many.  The majority of us didnt play BnS on other servers and to us we are now seeing our own original westernised version of the game.  If your belief is so strong that you feel you cant support the game with the changes, then you really have only one option and that is to not play this version.

All the negativity on these forums around this game come from the few who think as they played the game on another countries server they are now veterans and what they say should be listened to.  You chose to play on those servers knowing full well that there would be changes made when this version was released. 

bunch of nonsense with no actual arguments again

No one is talking about being perfect, only that all your arguments can be summed up as "but muh feelings!". Then you can throw around nonsense like "toxic masculanity" without even knowing if the people you're talking with are male or whatever, but it doesn't really make your arguments anything more than "but my feelings could be hurt".

And yea, despite you not liking it, the arguments other people have made have been based on more logic than your whining about wanting a safe space.

You chose to play on those servers knowing full well that there would be changes made when this version was released. 

Not really. I'm pretty sure most people expected a translation, not fanfiction.

Just like when I read Harry Potter in another language I expect Harry to still end up with Ginny Weasley, and not end up in a more progressive gay relationship with Draco Malfoy because the original version was deemed too heteronormative by the "translators".

NSBOP   

Alot of us played in servers where we don't understand a word even and although there was eng fan made translations they was very limited(most of them).And let not even mention Korea that never got any.Do you think most of us speak Japanese,Korean or Chinese?

BnS with low two digit ping > any translation.As long as they keep ther promises I can play in korean if necessery.

Enough with your "emotions" shitloads, Zy. Keep sticking at "chupa chupa" the writers would you ?

Emotions retains people from what they should do right, only rational logic keeps pushing them forward.

And the very exemple is the point of the topic, the writers issued the fact with their feelings and not logic, leading to this stupid flame war.

Edited by Lichtsaule

Rahaya   

I missed that. My apologies.

To address that, the other changes aren't that big either (the mayor line and guard lines are extremely minor overall) and the naming change is an overall naming change, not a story change.

Actually, I do agree with others that the naming change was completely unnecessary, as is the change to mash all names together into a single name instead of having separate first and last, etc. That's something I'm sure lots of us can agree with.

J

They aren't that 'big' because they are more restricted on how and how much they can change the main story line. They cannot edit cutscene material or change game 'direction' as in make new objectives or new quests. However, the fact remains that much of what was changed was completely unnecessary, and in my opinion, 100% of it worse than what was there before. You can't tell me the writing team was uncomfortable with the mayor being a cunning bad guy. Scoobie Dooifying him accomplished , what, exactly?

Dumbing down the story. I'm severely tempted to do a complete run through of beta, and the Taiwan client side by side and list every single change that is outside the reasonable limits of translation. Did you know quite a few sidequests edited NPC personalities so that most instances of the hero being tricked, bried, intimidated, or was apathetic too in the sidequests were also rewritten? So we get a near flawless hero, and bland side quests.

The thing is, this quest is a 4 part chain. The issue with it is in the very last part. They could have rewritten it for a more palatable message. Easily. Instead, the entire thing was rewritten. The Swan Maiden reference made it into Aion too, which tells me that folk tale either popular or more known. They removed everything, and considering the nature of the other changes (spurious, unnecessary, at point ill thought out) leaves me feeling less than charitable.

By all means, if it's that offensive change it. However, don't be surprised when I think that someone saw the opportunity for taking more liberties with the source material than necessary, and is hiding behind 'It made me uncomfortable!' as a blanket justification.

Ishtar   

How Mage is not banned yet I don't even know - he is basically insulting Asian culture:

So you know everything about Asian culture because you watch a few anime? hahaahahahaah.. that is the most insulting, dumb thing I have ever read. 

You are saying this: Asian culture is about guys who are impotent, who are peeping toms.... according to that quest - which you say is hiding away cultural aspects of eastern areas... hahahaha.... gosh and better yet show me some good old cultural references to guys stealing girls clothes so they will marry him.

And all of this over one silly quest? looool..

Why dont ya go talk to some real Asian people and we will see how mad they get about this pure insult to them :) - dont let the ban hammer hit you on the way out.

I am Asian and i'm not really upset about what he said, beside what he said and what you said are completely different. Rather what you post would upset me instead, plus this guy here.

The game did well in asian cultures where men would rather spend valentines day on an otaku "date" than have to speak to a real woman. Given the way they portray and regard women in their media, it's no surprise. That's not the case in the states, though I guess among the gaming population it may be the case because so many here have od'd on anime and manga and asian culture to the point that they think it's normal or acceptable in other cultures.

Also, edit the "game" with "quest"

58180704.jpg

Men are gonna read this and laugh

Not only men will laugh at your silly victimisation-complex and your need of safe spaces to protect you at every step from the big bad world.

If you seriously can't handle an innocent quest in an MMO full of sexualised men and women then there's probably way more wrong with you than just your gender.

Not only men will laugh at your silly victimisation-complex and your need of safe spaces to protect you at every step from the big bad world.

If you seriously can't handle an innocent quest in an MMO full of sexualised men and women then there's probably way more wrong with you than just your gender.

Congratulations for missing the entire point. Personally I don't care about the quest itself. What upsets me is people not being able to admit that yea, "it's wrong to steal women's clothes, or peep on them in the bath, or treat them like sex toys."

I am Asian and i'm not really upset about what he said, beside what he said and what you said are completely different. Rather what you post would upset me instead, plus this guy here.

Also, edit the "game" with "quest"

58180704.jpg

Lol so you are happy with him calling you impotent and insulting your culture okay, so you are fine with being impotent, stealing girls clothes and a being a male *cricket*?.. goes to show how much people care about their heritage. But yours is just one view.

Enough with your "emotions" shitloads, Zy. Keep sticking at "chupa chupa" the writers would you ?

Emotions retains people from what they should do right, only rational logic keeps pushing them forward.

And the very exemple is the point of the topic, the writers issued the fact with their feelings and not logic, leading to this stupid flame war.

You are oblivious to the fact the OP is insulting "eastern areas" culture.. but you support that... You just see what you want to see, a quest change and you do not like it. So mod your client or play KR servers.. they are that way ------->

Edited by Unrelenting

Congratulations for missing the entire point. Personally I don't care about the quest itself. What upsets me is people not being able to admit that yea, "it's wrong to steal women's clothes, or peep on them in the bath, or treat them like sex toys."

I'm pretty sure everyone knows it's wrong to steal women's clothes mate. It's also wrong to murder. But that doesn't mean that those things have to be censored or can't still be funny in a certain context.

You are oblivious to the fact the OP is insulting "eastern areas" culture.. but you support that... You just see what you want to see, a quest change and you do not like it. So mod your client or play KR servers.. they are that way ------->

The point of the topic is the shitty "westernization". What the OP does, I truly don't care.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows it's wrong to steal women's clothes mate. It's also wrong to murder. But that doesn't mean that those things have to be censored or can't still be funny in a certain context.

You are overestimating the intelligence of the population, as well as overestimating their capacity to show respect for women or treat us like human beings.

I agree with the rest of that post. 

The point of the topic is the shitty "westernization". What the OP does, I truly don't care.

Oh it wasnt as good as your favorite anime? If you can read and understand KR/JP or whatever because you know the story *so well* go mod your client or play on their servers. You do not go into a store and say "Hi, these clothes are to western for me" "This car drives to western for me", if you study you dont go "oh teacher this text you gave me is to western I need it to be more like my favourite anime"

The topic you should read.. he complains about censorship and then says it is insulting to eastern areas. Not as you said and I quote: "the shitty westernization"

Lol I would argue recent events show otherwise..

Also you do not complain to the news stations when they "censor" blood and dead bodies on tv do you.

Yet a stupid quest.. wow its the end of the world #first world problems

No one is talking about being perfect, only that all your arguments can be summed up as "but muh feelings!". Then you can throw around nonsense like "toxic masculanity" without even knowing if the people you're talking with are male or whatever, but it doesn't really make your arguments anything more than "but my feelings could be hurt".

And yea, despite you not liking it, the arguments other people have made have been based on more logic than your whining about wanting a safe space.

ಠ_ಠ

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

I feel like you have mistaken me for someone else entirely. Perhaps one of your crazy 'feminazi' caricature straw women merged with my persona in your mind and you've lost all grip on reality?

You've completely failed to comprehend any of my points. Go back and re-read them. Or don't. No skin off my back.

Not really. I'm pretty sure most people expected a translation, not fanfiction.

Too bad any work officially paid for by the original dev studio automatically counts as canon for the region and not 'fanfiction'.

Not only men will laugh at your silly victimisation-complex

NOPE

NOPENOPENOPE

Come back to me when you grow a heart.

At the end of the day how much does this really impact anything, this whole topic has gotten so out of proportion and yet, you will still play, you will still PVP and PvE and run the dungeons and play the game and guess what after you have done that quest and forgotten all about it a few days later, you wont ever care again.

Mage   

Don't respond to the guy. He is clearly twisting what I said to fit his own agenda. 

Also you do not complain to the news stations when they "censor" blood and dead bodies on tv do you.

How do you know I don't? When our news censored the Muhammed cartoons that got the Charlie Hebdo people killed I complained as well for instance.

It's also a stupid comparison, like all your comparisons really. The point is that we've already got a finished product that gets censored for the western release because of "westernisation" when the eastern influences in the BnS world are so important. It's like if I want to read Romance Of The Three Kingdoms in English, but the translators decided to westernise it in such a way that it was now about the kings of England, Scotland and Wales and their valiant knights, because otherwise the western audience might not understand it.

That's completely different than complaining about a car that drives too western or what other nonsense comparisons you made up.

Ikasu   

Lol so you are happy with him calling you impotent and insulting your culture okay, so you are fine with being impotent, stealing girls clothes and a being a male *cricket*?.. goes to show how much people care about their heritage. But yours is just one view.

... What in the actual *cricket*???

I guess I'm also oblivious to the fact that he is insulting my culture and heritage. Please, do enlighten me. What I got from the opening post is that he is trying to say that this censorship caused the folktale (which is indeed a part of my culture) to be completely removed, and the quest now doesn't even grace the existence of such a tale. And in that, he is indeed correct. He never indicated once that he thinks the culture is about "guys who are impotent, who are peeping toms".

NOPE

NOPENOPENOPE

Come back to me when you grow a heart.

Pretty much proving my point that it's all  "muh feels" with you. Enjoy your bully-proof windows and troll-safe doors in that safe-space of yours.

There's quotations marks around "westernization", did you came up with the idea I didn't speak about the censorship ?

It's censored and for this very reason, I support the OP.

Censorship isn't a solution, no matter what. Whatever something would hurt some people with a certain agenda.

Edited by Lichtsaule

Pretty much proving my point that it's all  "muh feels" with you. Enjoy your bully-proof windows and troll-safe doors in that safe-space of yours.

qScDc5i.png

Please, abuse me more! Insult me! Step all over me! I beg you! I NEED THIS!

Mage   

... What in the actual *cricket*???

I guess I'm also oblivious to the fact that he is insulting my culture and heritage. Please, do enlighten me. What I got from the opening post is that he is trying to say that this censorship caused the folktale (which is indeed a part of my culture) to be completely removed, and the quest now doesn't even grace the existence of such a tale. And in that, he is indeed correct. He never indicated once that he thinks the culture is about "guys who are impotent, who are peeping toms".

I thank you greatly for understanding.

jazdevi   

Make a video about your arguments so I can watch another video of Undoomed. He loves to destroy special snowflakes such as yourself, with pure logic. Did you know that some (a lot) of women enjoy being treated as objects? Yea, google it.

Let me guess, you probably think women are treated as objects, get paid less and have less privileges than men. All of which are incorrect. You get paid the same, you have more privileges and you are not treated as objects.

Actually, ignore that last one, because you're being treated as an object of ridicule right now. Women have more rights than men in general, they get paid the same and they're just as sexist as men on the inside. They just keep it to themselves.. most of the time.

"Barmen in a popular Scottish-themed venue have had to abandon their kilts due to women lifting them up and even grabbing their -bleep-"

When talking about sexism, it's usually in the context of men doing something to women. It's unthinkable that women would do something to men. This is obviously not true, but generally, men don't nag about it as much as women, so it doesn't come to light. My teacher used to slap my butt every day (Female teacher) and I didn't care. Granted I was wondering why she did it, but other than that, I couldn't care less. Just as some women don't care either. The ones complaining are a small minority. They always scream the loudest.

Now enough of your snowflake bs. Accept reality and stop enforcing your bubble world upon all of us. Feminism is bad because it spreads lies about women being oppressed. Maybe a long time ago, but certainly not today. Stop using the word misogyny. Every time a man does something you don't approve of, you snowflakes try to find a heavy word to make it seem worse than it actually is. A man telling a woman that she's beautiful means he hates and oppresses women? Get a freaking grip. Take the compliment and keep walking. A man slapped you on the butt that one time? Report him to the police. It's not acceptable, but it's also not enough of a reason to label all men as misogynists and turn to feminism, then ruin all movies, games and anything else you can find so it doesn't "Give men ideas".

You few female snowflakes are happy about this change, but do you realize this change means that they're insulting you? They assumed you couldn't handle a little deviant fictional side story, so they change it for you. They assumed that women in general couldn't handle something that men in general would have no problem with. Isn't that true sexism? But granted you live in a lie, thinking outside the box would be impossible.

Anyway, now I've vented my frustration. I apologize if I insulted anyone, but you all needed a dose of reality. The PC bubble you live in will slowly rot your mind.

I love this game enough to buy a master pack. Even if the original content has man-hate, racism and any other thing people think is a big deal, that doesn't matter to me. I'm an adult. I can handle reality as it is and not try to change it to how I think it should be. This is someones work of art, who are you to paint over it because of a difference in taste?

Edited by jazdevi