Mage

Blade and Soul is being censored despite them previously saying otherwise.

Attacking NCsoft when they do something right isn't the best way to get them to listen to you. Like others said this is just more suited for the west.

Those who think stealing girls clothes from the hotspring is common are simply living in the world of anime. That's not ok in Asia and you'd probably get attacked if you did that in the West.

Just the fact that you created an entire thread in order to attempt to get a quest line changed so you can play a pervert who steals clothes is completely stupid.

This made me laugh hysterically. 

Cadenza   

I'm just really disappointed.

Does anyone know if they originally said the game was going to be translated or if it was going to be localized? They're two very distinct things. Localization can also imply westernization, which I personally hate.

If they said they were translating, I expect them to translate it. Translation and interpretation is what I do for a living, and changing what people say is something I cannot tolerate. You translate exactly what the original said to get their original intent across. When someone says "I xyz" you say "I xyz" as well, not "he said xyz". And you certainly don't just straight up say something else entirely.

If they said localization, well then I won't like it, but I gotta take it. Thanks for bringing the game to us, even if it's in a mutilated form and years late.

Mage   

Also. there is an ENTIRELY nude woman already in the game, that is not censored in the least. her name is Yuran

Wait, when did this happen? I can't recall any nudity...

Teisho   

Kun sounds too much like... well add a T to the end.

That's not why.

The word "Kun" sounds more like a racial pejorative term that was/is used to describe black people. Tack on the fact that "Kun" is a race in this game and you can see why that might have been changed.

Purple   

Act 3 finale after you kick her ass, her clothing and every thing else vanishs and she lays on the floor entirely nude, just the camera is turned at just the right angle that you dont see any of the fun parts. but you get a great shot of her ass. well and LOTs of side boob

Yeah like Yuri said you dont see anything really. its like 2 seconds look if that.

think its chapter 2 final no?

Edited by Purple

Estribo   

This made me laugh hysterically. 

What makes me laugh hysterically is that the guy you quoted (an older gentleman, by his post in another thread) unironically accused those advocating for the questline to be returned to its original form of defending "stealing panties", then proceeded to claim that those who agreed with the defenders were probably "12-20, and have never had a girlfriend".

If you're going to ride the maturity high horse, best you not resort to character assassination while doing so.

Mage   

Act 3 finale after you kick her ass, her clothing and every thing else vanishs and she lays on the floor entirely nude, just the camera is turned at just the right angle that you dont see any of the fun parts. but you get a great shot of her ass. well and LOTs of side boob

Ahh, I thought there was some like full frontal nudity that I some how missed. Like, witcher level. 

Purple   

No its the end of act 3. before M appears and basically turns you Sith. end of act 2 is still the desert region. before moon water.

But ya, if we are going nuts over quest text, why not go nuts over a NUDE woman who is entirely NUDE, you just tilted the camera just enough to let it be "ok"

Yeah I think the chapter is 2 though XD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArlEXwU0PlU

Game spoilers if you care ^

Edited by Purple

Teisho   

I'd like to remind you guys that if you're going to spoil story content that you should put it in a spoiler tag.

Zofi   

That's not why.

The word "Kun" sounds more like a racial pejorative term that was/is used to describe black people. Tack on the fact that "Kun" is a race in this game and you can see why that might have been changed.

Yeah, like, over a decade ago.  Probably half the fanbase didn't even know that was a racial term until they brought it to light.

Estribo   

Yeah, like, over a decade ago.  Probably half the fanbase didn't even know that was a racial term until they brought it to light.

Funnily enough, I never even drew that phonetic connection until Teisho pointed it out.

Guess the Japanese content creators ought to change their usage of the -kun suffix in their work so as not to offend anyone. :rolleyes:

Purple   

Funnily enough, I never even drew that phonetic connection until Teisho pointed it out.

Guess the Japanese content creators ought to change their usage of the -kun suffix in their work so as not to offend anyone. :rolleyes:

Change everything replace the market place with a Mc Donalds drive thru. :huh:

Edited by Purple

Purple   

Far as i am aware it was to change Kun from what i stated, not some racial slur most of the population doesnt even know or remember exists. but *Shrugs* either way it was changed for stupidity, like every thing else in this localization. Least we know for a fact we can edit any thing client side we so wish. cant wait to remove this crap localization.

http://www.bladeandsouldojo.com/topic/133665-modding-na-client/page__p__773259__fromsearch__1#entry773259

Indeed if its fine to do Ill translate it on my own.

Teisho   

People still use the word with an "oo" sound today.

I'm not saying that the change is a good decision. I really, really, really don't give a shit. All I'm saying is that it's the most likely explanation, since western players are almost certainly going to pronounce the phrase with an overemphasis on the "oo" part of the word.

Killian   

Indeed if its fine to do Ill translate it on my own.

If you do please share. I'd translate some too but I don't know how to take the dialogue files out of CN.

Reading this thread just made me tired.

Purple   

If you do please share. I'd translate some too but I don't know how to take the dialogue files out of CN.

Reading this thread just made me tired.

Yeah I think people will do it in general as a group, we can only wait till its out and see :)

Edited by Purple

This issue of "women being sexually subjugated" Is utterly and completely laughable, that is the past. please come into the present with the rest of us,

You need to pick up a news paper. I bet the muslim women in the middle east and India who are forced to marry their rapists, or being gang raped in public as "punishment" for something their brothers or fathers did would say they feel pretty sexually subjugated. Mail order brides from asian and slavic countries still exist as does human trafficking and sexual slavery. 

Purple   

I know one thing has come from this

People know who they have things in common with :rolleyes:

Renn   

I'm going to be honest. I avoided this topic on the Dojo because at the time I was already too distracted by the wardrobe fiasco and Tales of Zesteria. This entire thread seems to split down three different groups.

1. People who don't like censorship in any way, shape or form.
  2. People who don't like gender-abuse in any way, shape or form.
  3. People who don't like both but can compromise.

Good points made on both sides but it's really easy to tell that an opinion isn't going to go anywhere here, instead I'll be as factual as I can.

Hi everyone, just wanted to make sure everything is clear here. I can confirm that what Rin posted was directly quoted from Twitch chat from the stream this afternoon.

We are very aware that people use mods for their Blade & Soul clients for other regions and know that people will use them for the NA/EU client as well. However, we as a company do not officially support any of these mods and therefore cannot provide support for them or take responsibility if they damage your client/computer. Additionally, any mods that are detected by GameGuard as a hack, script, or otherwise can result in a ban.

Sorry to sound so stiff and official on this, but just wanted to clarify our stance on mods.

For full disclosure, I personally use Project Izanami to translate my TW client to English so I know how helpful they can be. As I mentioned, it is your decision to make on what to do to your client, just please be aware of what I've said above.

NCSoft has found it acceptable for us to mod our clients. They won't provide any support but they'll let it slide if it can get past GG and doesn't legitimately break the game for other players. This game may be "old" to B&S veterans but it's "new" for the Western audience. Some topics are "sensitive" in the West when compared to the East, it's what we call a cultural difference. You can't change a certain countries' culture, the country has to change itself, nor is there any justification in hiding it. With this in mind, there are some things that should not be mentioned but are going to be said anyways.

The new crowd has absolutely nothing to fall back on. If something displeases them that much, they'll just leave. The story is one aspect that can do this, whether it's a main or side quests.

The veterans already have people who are capable of reading KR/CH/JP & are willing to translate it to English. Even if the censorship goes through, NCSoft has given us the ability to fix it ourselves. If it really bothers you that much, you can translate it yourself (or find someone to translate it for you) & mod it yourself (or find someone to mod it for you) and not be punished for it if you don't set off GG, which is possible since we already have modders who do so. I would say it's a difficult job, but it's not, all you have to do is translate a couple quests/lines/words instead of the core game like the fabulous people of the Dojo did for all these years.

Because I had to leave for work before I finished, I have time to insert "a bit" of my opinion:

I'm not saying it's wrong to complain, it's actually more than welcomed because issues that are important can actually be addressed; for those who are absolutely adamant about this censorship: please, try to be more understanding. Forced marriage is real. I don't want those who actually managed to escape it with their lives or are still in it to be reminded about it and get reduced to a crying ball of self-inflicted shame through something as minuscule as a "humorously dark" side-quest. It may not affect you, your friends, your family, your co-workers or anybody you know but it affects one of my friends and her sister.

I keep seeing "You need to grow up," and the equivalent of "Get over it," being tossed around so casually from both sides because: Censorship! Equality! Yes, this is going to be a "Mature" game but this is an action combat, Martial Arts theme-park MMORPG about honor, betrayal, loss, revenge & redemption with specializations in character customization & Oriental visual aesthetics; we know that by now. In the end, we should be adults here. We should understand that a petty thief stealing clothes from bathing women and other "sensitive" side-quests aren't major design points of the game.

I'm pretty sure we can drop/reword this one gag side-quest about a pervert "getting what he deserves" that has nothing to do with the main story and maybe a few other "distasteful" side-quests that again, have nothing to do with the main story, out of respect for the special snowflakes in the general audience who have suffered horrible trauma described in these leveling quests. After all, most of us are adults here. Right? We all (except, again, a few special snowflakes) have something that we don't want to talk about or remember from the past. Maybe it's fine for a tiny amount of censorship about a topic, that has nothing to do with the over-arcing story, to exist. This quest was, is and always will be a gag. It's filler. It's not important. We'll be fine without it. There are some things best left unsaid. Oh wait. Censorship. No! We can't have censorship, no matter who it offends! It doesn't matter what kind of trauma my fellow players may have suffered in the past or may be going through right now! This art needs to be preserved! Is this, https://youtu.be/p5TMmxlsLN8?t=9m50s, our audience? This is the vibe that some of you are portraying. I'm not the one suffering, my friend is, why am I feeling disgusted reading this crap? I know it's bound to happen though, it's the internet.

Yeah. The reasoning behind NCSoft's actions towards B&S is a bit...faulty, but they're at least going in the right direction. You have seen the goals that NCWest wants to accomplish involving localization through alpha and MULTIPLE betas phases. Translate the main story, translate appropriate and silly skill names, "westernize" region names/NPC names/game mechanics for mostly silly or slightly understandable reasons, translate side-quests, censor unsightly side-quests, get localized voices, get arena/world PvP, & get uncensored costumes. So please, stop repeating this invalid Slippery Slope argument that censoring these forgettable side-quests is going to lead to the main story getting censored. If the main story gets censored or is planned to be censored THEN complain about it. I'll be right behind you.

Also, thank you NCSoft for censoring a couple side-quests for the wrong reasons. It was actually helpful on some of them. How about we just dump freezing water or rub salamander oil on Godbert Manderville and call it a day instead of smashing Enter and making your snail catch on fire from the pressures of censorship & feminism? We could be complaining about actual important stuff like silly localized names, changing focus back to chi, shotty voice acting (Soha, in my opinion), how the company will monetize off of costumes, the wardrobe fiasco, having Mushin Tower, etc.

Ok so just so we are clear, your fine if some one comes up and decides to KILL you, because they "know its wrong" but they cant touch your breasts in the process because they might not know that is wrong. 

Sounds Legit. 

But in all seriousness. no concept of boundaries, or "acceptable behaviour" -_- maybe we would have a better idea of said boundries if we didnt HIDE ANY THING sexually related in any form of content.

i mean FFS Theft is NOT Harassment, its THEFT, if some one breaks into your house and STEALS your clothing, they dont get arrested for SEXUAL HARASSMENT. it may be kinky, it may be weird. THEY may find it sexual in nature. but it does not by itself make it a form of HARASSMENT

Motivation and intent. The NPC stole the clothing with the intention of forcing the female into marriage so that he could cure his impotence by having sex with her. That is sexual harassment and sexual objectification. 

Also murder and groping? What the hell are you even referencing? My point about boundaries was to echo what someone else said, that there are many men (in western cultures too) who don't know the difference between acceptable sexual behavior and unacceptable sexual behavior. Slapping my ass on the subway is unacceptable behavior. Trying to spike my drink with roofies is unacceptable behavior. Trying to guilt or bully me into sex is unacceptable behavior. Putting hidden cameras in the bathroom is unacceptable behavior. But there will be droves of men insisting that all of the above is perfectly fine. There are still men in america who think "marital *cricket*" is not real because they are "entitled" to "use" their wife's body any time they want. 

Edited by QueenSheba