Mage

Blade and Soul is being censored despite them previously saying otherwise.

Mai   

Even funnier, the Lycandi woman who ended up being "forced" to marry Ma Ture is considered "ugly" by him on account of being "muscled". She's physically stronger than him and a trained warrior besides. It sucks that she's stuck with the kind of man who finds a fit woman unattractive, and that her husband is an open air pervert with a taste for adultery, but it certainly sounds to me as though she's capable of skinning him alive if he ever gets too uppity with her. Hell, I'd probably be more worried about finding him with some bruises than her.

Exactly that. Everyone sees the Lycandi women as weak females that were harassed thats just sad.

Estribo   

Please post more ... this logic is delicious! <3 ( No sarcasm. )

I just can't comprehend the viewpoint that this woman was a 'victim', is all.

I mean, look at the facts: she's Lycandi, well muscled to the point of being considered "ugly" by a pervert, and no doubt a warrior on account of being a resident of a nation at an almost constant state of war. She's not some blushing damsel with more beauty than sense -- this woman is a trained killer, and a proud member of her tribe (I infer that by her following tribal custom in marrying Ma). Why is this whole scenario even being flatly labeled as misogynistic? Is this woman to be understood as incapable of making her own decisions, or of protecting herself from her emasculated husband? "Well, she had to follow the rules of her tribe", you might say. Alright, that's a reasonable counterpoint. But is there some law stating that a Lycandi woman must remain wed to a man who treats her like garbage? If there is, why would she even agree to sleep with him at all, let alone enough times to get pregnant by him? Out of duty? Honor? Or was he all bark and no bite?

Look, there really isn't any good reason for why this whole quest was so totally changed aside from the personal political views of the team in charge of localizing. They can sermonize all day about it being only "right" or "reasonable", but what they did was no more and no less than push their own agenda into a work of fiction because they didn't like the source material. Censorship is censorship is censorship, great or small as it may be.

Funny you mentioned this.

NCSoft changed the WHOLE Lycandi main storyline, where NONE of the Male/Female theme were even mentioned anywhere in the game, yet, no one *cricket* and moan about NCSoft took that out of the game.

Perhaps because no one realized that they had done that?

Would you care to expound upon that for me? I'm very interested in discovering potential 'fixes' that I'll need to find the original material for.

Zerecas   

My 2nd reply on this thread, after skimming through the pages. So, we have came from censorship issues to those typical feminism senseless rants.

Why senseless? You're good at twisting information around you and blatantly make it to suit your statement. 

I supposed that it is only a matter of time before PETA members join in because we keeps on killing animal on sight in the game?

In the game?

IN THE GAME?

Refer to my first post

I don't get all these censorship, I mean its fictional.

Censorship will not help one and it will not solve whatever problem there is, in real life. The problem lies within one's moral, whether the censorship is there or not.

In CN server, we've got costume censorship because it has too much exposure, like seriously, everyone have seen more than what the game could offer.

Neither games nor offensive contents makes you to approach negativity, they simply don't. If you cannot differentiate fantasy with reality, then you're the problem to begin with.

If it does, then so do religion. Opps, did I just started a forbidden topic?

Whether it is for eastern or western audiences, whether the content setting is from eastern or western, I think in year 2015, everybody should have just move on without the censorship. 

Chat filter will not stop people from using vulgarity. 

Adultery rating will not stop kids from viewing.

But at least, they leave the costume alone, they simply did a bad job in censoring costume in the first place, for example in CN, those body part are basically got covered with a pile of matte paints.

Once again, this is a game.

Not that I wanted rant about how those changes in side quests affect my gameplay and I'm definitely happy with just the original costumes.

It just that some of you, and your mindset that are totally moving backward instead of front in general.

So many things that you could've said but you seriously talk about how stealing a woman's cloth in game is consider disgusting and a harassment to the players? lol

If you want to ask me about ancient Asia culture, then yes, force marriage is a joyless yet common practice back then, fact that B&S uses ancient China architectures further strengthen my point.

Purple   

My 2nd reply on this thread, after skimming through the pages. So, we have came from censorship issues to those typical feminism senseless rants.

Why senseless? You're good at twisting information around you and blatantly make it to suit your statement. 

I supposed that it is only a matter of time before PETA members join in because we keeps on killing animal on sight in the game?

In the game?

IN THE GAME?

Refer to my first post

Not that I wanted rant about how those changes in side quests affect my gameplay and I'm definitely happy with just the original costumes.

It just that some of you, and your mindset that are totally moving backward instead of front in general.

So many things that you could've said but you seriously talk about how stealing a woman's cloth in game is consider disgusting and a harassment to the players? lol

If you want to ask me about ancient Asia culture, then yes, force marriage is a joyless yet common practice back then, fact that B&S uses ancient China architectures further strengthen my point.

I'm with you here, its like they come to the thread where people are voicing there opinion on a topic, then they say that you're wrong.  (They do it on all the other threads also)

People are really sitting here complaining over fictional characters that they clearly have no interest in.

If people dont like the discussion, simply dont come here. This has been going on to long now.

Edited by Purple

AttacKat   

Perhaps because no one realized that they had done that?

Would you care to expound upon that for me? I'm very interested in discovering potential 'fixes' that I'll need to find the original material for.

Anyone who played the TW (and understands Chinese) version will know the storyline.

Based on what I recall of the TW version (in Chinese):

(Hero = female)

Lycandi tribe leader in battle, gets hurt in battle,

Daughter seeks hero help to find leader

Hero finds leader hurt, who later dies in battlefield

Leader's daughter becomes adhoc leader, but faces issues since tribe is a male dominate socity (very traditional Asian (CN/JP/KR))

Daughter fears elders will not follow her order and the hero's request to join the "forces", sends hero to meet with elder and warns elder will look down on hero is a female

Hero goes speaks to elder and seek to meet with clan elder in order to get chi

Elder jokes about how hero is a female and has no place in man's business

Fox god (Lycan) awakens and needs to be brought under control, or else becomes evil monster

Daughter leader tells hero this is perfect chance for them (daughter and hero) to prove themselves by taming Lycan and they are the "chosen" ones

Hero tames world boss

Elders accepts they are the chosen ones and hence allows daughter to be leader and hero to meet with clan elder

Clan elder offers chi

None of the male/female matter was in the NA storyline.

Edited by AttacKat

Familiar   

Since we're all giving our opinions, I'll just say that I don't care about this at all either way. I'm not for censorship like some of you try hard, politically correct, internet activists, and I'm also not against this censorship like some of you who think it's sacrilege or culturally insulting to change content based on your intended audience.

I'm fairly certain I represent the vast majority of people who will be playing the game, and we just want to play it, not make life decisions every time we start a quest.

Edited by Hubris

Estribo   
1. This game hasn't been rated yet so it can't be called Mature, and just because its a Mature game doesn't mean it requires nudity or perverted story lines. Games can also be mature for simply violence and swearing (Call of Duty)

2. You say he has his own particular skewed world view but that can just be turned around to say that you have your own particular skewed world view. Really people who are complaining about a panty stealing quest line being taken out are really just too desensitized to sex or just too sexual. Here's the test, if you can go up to 20+ people over 50 (including your parents and grandparents and the rest are of various backgrounds) and explain that whole quest line and then ask them if it's stupid that they removed it, and then they all agree that its stupid then you can come back and say it isn't wrong.

1. Which is exactly the point I made after I labeled the game as 'Mature'. That label was in a strictly ESRB sense, which I have no doubt it will earn in our hypersensitive country. Regardless, I fully acknowledge that a game being labeled 'Mature' by a rating board has no real bearing upon such in a true sense.

2. Yes, you could turn that right around onto me. However, as I am not the one changing portions of a game to fit in with my own world view, that is a moot point. In this case, the burden is on the writer to provide some actual reasoning aside from personal preference for why he changed around a questline. Especially if that man is claiming he was not censoring anything.

Now, I understand why you keep harping on this questline as being nothing more than "panty stealing". I get that you'd like to reduce this whole debate to one of clear cut sensibility versus childishness. You are, however, being disingenuous by attempting to do so. This is not a debate about the merits of "panty theft". I don't much care if the quest had us stealing a piece of her fur, or her spear or somesuch--what is being argued here is that the source material should not have been altered in any way aside from being translated to comprehensible English. The fact that the Lycandi woman was bathing at the time of our theft isn't really relevant to the outcome of the quest, aside from the devs writing the Lycandi lore in such a way as to make stealing a bathing Lycandi's clothes is grounds to take them as a mate. If Steven felt bothered by potential 'panty theft', and decided to change the pile of clothes to a weapon or a keepsake and shift the lore appropriately, I would have been far less incensed by his actions; in that case, the heart of the scenario would have remained faithful to the Korean version, even if ours took a prudish measure. Instead, he changed everything about the scenario around to suit what he felt was a less "misogynistic" treatment.

As to your directive to poll people over the age of 50, nice try. An argument from sensibility is only a reasonable argument if the entire situation is laid out for the deliberating party to consider. Discounting the fact that most people age 50+ have no stake in a matter of censorship in a video game, I believe that presenting my case in the manner which I have would be sufficient to at least make an interested party consider my stance. Granted, I wouldn't couch my side of the debate as "This guy is trying to remove panty theft from my game!"

4. You talk as if stealing panties is 100% right and acceptable when you say the "world will never conform to your sense of "right" no matter how hard you try." Can you honestly tell me that you think the majority of westerners would agree with you that stealing panties is perfectly acceptable behavior? I have a feeling most of your supporters would be young males between 12-25, most of which have never had a girlfriend.

This load of tripe is insulting to my intelligence, and to your own.

Rahaya   

Funny you mentioned this.

NCSoft changed the WHOLE Lycandi main storyline, where NONE of the Male/Female theme were even mentioned anywhere in the game, yet, no one *cricket* and moan about NCSoft took that out of the game.

No one? I did. The thread is called 'What did you do to the story' and has been on these forums since Alpha.

Naunet   

Now, I understand why you keep harping on this questline as being nothing more than "panty stealing". I get that you'd like to reduce this whole debate to one of clear cut sensibility versus childishness. You are, however, being disingenuous by attempting to do so. This is not a debate about the merits of "panty theft". I don't much care if the quest had us stealing a piece of her fur, or her spear or somesuch--what is being argued here is that the source material should not have been altered in any way aside from being translated to comprehensible English. The fact that the Lycandi woman was bathing at the time of our theft isn't really relevant to the outcome of the quest, aside from the devs writing the Lycandi lore in such a way as to make stealing a bathing Lycandi's clothes is grounds to take them as a mate. If Steven felt bothered by potential 'panty theft', and decided to change the pile of clothes to a weapon or a keepsake and shift the lore appropriately, I would have been far less incensed by his actions; in that case, the heart of the scenario would have remained faithful to the Korean version, even if ours took a prudish measure. Instead, he changed everything about the scenario around to suit what he felt was a less "misogynistic" treatment.

The fact that it's clothing you steal, and that the entire context around the act is sexual in nature on the part of the man, is absolutely relevant. Women have been subjugated sexually for centuries. When that "role" is treated as the butt of a joke again and again and again and again... yeah, we're going to get fed up.

Estribo   

Anyone who played the TW (and understands Chinese) version will know the storyline.

Based on what I recall of the TW version (in Chinese):

(Hero = female)

Lycandi tribe leader in battle, gets hurt in battle,

Daughter seeks hero help to find leader

Hero finds leader hurt, who later dies in battlefield

Leader's daughter becomes adhoc leader, but faces issues since tribe is a male dominate socity (very traditional Asian (CN/JP/KR))

Daughter fears elders will not follow her order and the hero's request to join the "forces", sends hero to meet with elder and warns elder will look down on hero is a female

Hero goes speaks to elder and seek to meet with clan elder in order to get chi

Elder jokes about how hero is a female and has no place in man's business

Fox god (Lycan) awakens and needs to be brought under control, or else becomes evil monster

Daughter leader tells hero this is perfect chance for them (daughter and hero) to prove themselves by taming Lycan and they are the "chosen" ones

Hero tames world boss

Elders accepts they are the chosen ones and hence allows daughter to be leader and hero to meet with clan elder

Clan elder offers chi

None of the male/female matter was in the NA storyline.

I appreciate you laying that out for me.

The new version skips over the daughter needing to prove herself worthy of leadership to a patriarchal society. Instead, she asks the player character to go and talk to the belligerent leader in her stead (I believe "inexperience" is the stated quibble for her not being accepted), which leads to us beating the snot out of him for her. Seems a bit of a wasted opportunity to paint a female character as possessing the agency required to change the views of her people for the better. The outcome has been reduced from a male/female power upset to a child/adult power upset.

70bd4d94ba52ee3508e6bf19ce422ecc0eab1369

4. You talk as if stealing panties is 100% right and acceptable when you say the "world will never conform to your sense of "right" no matter how hard you try." Can you honestly tell me that you think the majority of westerners would agree with you that stealing panties is perfectly acceptable behavior? I have a feeling most of your supporters would be young males between 12-25, most of which have never had a girlfriend.

Mate, you might just *cricket*ing kidding right here. Thanks for the laugh.

Estribo   

The fact that it's clothing you steal, and that the entire context around the act is sexual in nature on the part of the man, is absolutely relevant. Women have been subjugated sexually for centuries. When that "role" is treated as the butt of a joke again and again and again and again... yeah, we're going to get fed up.

Erm, what?

Considering that said woman winds up pregnant down the line, not to mention that it starts off with you chasing down home remedies for impotence, I don't think it would be possible to miss that the tone of the questline is sexual in nature. My point was that it wouldn't really matter what it was you stole, provided the lore supported the Lycandi tradition that the theft of 'x' from a Lycandi tribesman/woman = marriage.

As for the the talk about sexual subjugation, I don't see the connection. There's no evidence to point to the woman in this scenario being "subjugated" by her husband. She marries him to respect tradition, becomes pregnant by him of her own accord, and remains married to him at the end of the quest. If there was some sort of cruelty or abuse going on, the general tone of the quest certainly belied it, because the overall impression of it is one of a humorous fate befalling a man who deserved karma coming back around.

Anyways, I've been wordy enough stating my case. My ultimate stance is to just leave the source material alone, translate it faithfully, and only localize elements which wouldn't make the slightest lick of sense to someone of another culture. Yuran does not make me think of 'urine'. I don't need names to be pushed together into Jinsoyun or Dochun so that my feeble mind can comprehend them. I don't need Biwol to become Jiwan for some inexplicable reason. I certainly don't need a small team of writers to go about editing portions of a game so we can play pretend that certain things are too gross for a Western audience.

Ikasu   
This thread is actually hilarious  :blink:

I don't think people are going to see what a character did on a game, say that's appropriate because it's there, and do it in real life.

I also don't think people expect you to learn true Eastern culture from a game.

Now I don't really care whether this specific quest gets censored or not for the Western audience. But if you're really concerned about preserving the game as much as possible, I think you should be more offended about changes like "Jin Seo Yeon" turning into "Jinsoyun" because they decided the traditional three-character names (which has been like that for centuries, with the exception of a few single-character given names and some two-character family names) of Koreans is too high of a learning-curve for the Western audience. Not to mention those are two different names, with different pronunciations. 

Hiei   

I don't think people are going to see what a character did on a game, say that's appropriate because it's there, and do it in real life.

Speak for yourself, the second I see a character in Blade & Soul jump & glide from a high place I'mma try the same. 

I'll go to my local mall & jump off the roof, what could possibly go wrong? 

Lurkios   

Now I don't really care whether this specific quest gets censored or not for the Western audience. But if you're really concerned about preserving the game as much as possible, I think you should be more offended about changes like "Jin Seo Yeon" turning into "Jinsoyun" because they decided the traditional three-character names (which has been like that for centuries, with the exception of a few single-character given names and some two-character family names) of Koreans is too high of a learning-curve for the Western audience. Not to mention those are two different names, with different pronunciations. 

While I too would have preferred the original titles, it doesn't make a lot of difference if you call a rose a flower, a blossom. While something is lost, as was the case with the name changes, it doesn't change the context of the story. That truly is a "localization".

What we have here is censorship, not localization. A small team of writers has decided that what they don't like the entire NA audience cant have. They've opted to, rather than properly "localize" the game, censor its contents and replace story elements with a bland, boring rewrite that feels like it was pulled from a children's book.

Whether it be inappropriate, provocative, offensive even - I'd rather read something stimulating in any form than the textual equivalent of watching paint dry.

Estribo   

I also don't think people expect you to learn true Eastern culture from a game.

I don't speak any other language than English. I'd love to be multilingual, but I recognize that I'm too lazy and easily distracted to really dig into learning another.

That being said, I do take umbrage with the changing of names in our version. Even if I cannot speak Korean, having heard that the traditional Korean three-character naming scheme was scrapped to make way for a more "iconic" (Steven's words, IIRC) really bugs me. I value the unique characteristics of foreign cultures, even moreso when someone who does have inside information on said culture takes the time to explain exactly why a certain thing is the way it is. If I don't have something explained to me, and I really want to know what it's all about, then it only takes me a short time searching the internet to find one. When these traditions are eschewed to "Westernize" a work, then some of the intrinsic value of that work has been filtered out in favor of a 'dumbed down' version. I hate that. Miniscule portion of a game or no, change adds up.

I suppose I mostly dislike being treated as though I'm too simple minded to understand something.

The absurdity of all these arguments is that the alteration of the original text could actually be construed as cultural appropriation.

The Lycandi tribes have a custom to the effect that any tribeswoman whose clothes are stolen (potentially tribesmen, as well) must marry the one who stole said clothes. That is their tradition, and there is no mention made of the woman whose clothes were stolen being averse to fulfilling the duties laid upon her as a Lycandi. Now, that tradition has essentially been erased from existence. How dare you oppress the native peoples by forcing your sensibilities upon their way of life? How dare you come into their lands and proselytize them at the expense of their sacred traditions?

Wow, 7 people liked a post this dumb?

Newsflash: THIS ENTIRE CULTURE IS MADE-UP. INVENTED. This is the exact same (incredibly shitty) excuse people come up with to justify naked catgirls everywhere. "Oh, it's just their [fictional, non-existent] culture!" WHO ARE YOU FOOLING? (dumb question, I can see it fooled at least 7 other posters)

That's straight hyperbole, and I know it, but my point still stands. The type of person who feels this quest is 'problematic' is the likely the same type of person who feels that what settlers did to Native Americans during the colonization of America was wrong. Again, double standard.

I'm sorry.... what? What the settlers did to the Native Americans in no way compares to the changing of a FICTIONAL culture in a story of complete fiction.

Real people were hurt, and their culture decimated, by the actions of the settlers. This is hilarious. You're the ones who are getting all up in our grill about not being able to tell the difference between fiction and reality... and yet here you are mixing metaphors and trying to equate a fictional race with the real world. Give me a break!

Even funnier, the Lycandi woman who ended up being "forced" to marry Ma Ture is considered "ugly" by him on account of being "muscled". She's physically stronger than him and a trained warrior besides. It sucks that she's stuck with the kind of man who finds a fit woman unattractive, and that her husband is an open air pervert with a taste for adultery, but it certainly sounds to me as though she's capable of skinning him alive if he ever gets too uppity with her. Hell, I'd probably be more worried about finding him with some bruises than her.

Of course, the problem here is that everything you know of those events comes from the mouth of the guy. You never speak to the Lycandi lady to get her perspective on matters, which was another major point of contention with the original quest.

Actually, maybe the whole quest line would have been alright if they added a conversation with her to get her view on things. Maybe. Except the prison *cricket* joke is still incredibly tasteless and you're still dealing with a fictional, made-up culture that for some reason has a tradition of marrying people who steal your clothes (???).

Not that any of these arguments matter at this point. Reminder that 'we' won in the end, and that the quest is never going to be reverted to the original. Better get to modding, folks! ;)

Edited by Zyrusticae

Estribo   

Wow, 7 people liked a post this dumb?

Newsflash: THIS ENTIRE CULTURE IS MADE-UP. INVENTED. This is the exact same (incredibly shitty) excuse people come up with to justify naked catgirls everywhere. "Oh, it's just their [fictional, non-existent] culture!" WHO ARE YOU FOOLING? (dumb question, I can see it fooled at least 7 other posters)

I'm sorry.... what? What the settlers did to the Native Americans in no way compares to the changing of a FICTIONAL culture in a story of complete fiction.

Real people were hurt, and their culture decimated, by the actions of the settlers. This is hilarious. You're the ones who are getting all up in our grill about not being able to tell the difference between fiction and reality... and yet here you are mixing metaphors and trying to equate a fictional race with the real world. Give me a break!

Of course, the problem here is that everything you know of those events comes from the mouth of the guy. You never speak to the Lycandi lady to get her perspective on matters, which was another major point of contention with the original quest.

Actually, maybe the whole quest line would have been alright if they added a conversation with her to get her view on things. Maybe. Except the prison *cricket* joke is still incredibly tasteless and you're still dealing with a fictional, made-up culture that for some reason has a tradition of marrying people who steal your clothes (???).

Not that any of these arguments matter at this point. Reminder that 'we' won in the end, and that the quest is never going to be reverted to the original. Better get to modding, folks! ;)

So a fictional case of 'cultural appropriation' is fine and dandy, but a fictional case of 'misogyny' is not?

If you are going to treat this as a work of fiction, with the ensuing stance that nothing in it matters because it's "ENTIRELY MADE-UP. INVENTED.", then you should have had no issue with the source material's presentation. Since I know for a fact that you did have an issue with the original, you have contradicted the basis for your own argument.

1. When did I ever say violence was exclusively for games? I just said that was a big point in games, just like sex is a big point in porn and Hollywood. My main point was that sex does not have a place in video games, most games that include it are just borderline porn games or they are just disguised porn games.

2. About the physics, I have them set to off since they're not even close to realistic. Do girls with almost flat breasts have their chest boing around like jello when you start talking to them? I didn't think so, if you just turn off physics in settings they don't jiggle anymore.

3. You say people should decide for themselves, but the developers (who by the way actually know stuff) would rather change things they know would be controversial in a particular culture in order to increase the player base, but they can only do so much. 

And again, your idea of what belongs where has no place anywhere but in your own video game. Sexuality can be anywhere it wants. Just because you think sexual themes make a game less of a game, that doesn't make it true. You've got a frustrating life ahead of you with that criteria in your head.

You're more than welcome to turn them off, go ahead. Lo and behold, this is what choice is. If you want it, great! If you don't, great! Doesn't change the fact that it's a feature of the game, and clearly a huge stylistic choice. Why don't you do some research on the lead developer and his art style? I bet you would be surprised (Hint: Google Hyung-Tae Kim. Yep, that's the game you're discussing).

It's the localization team that's changing it, and it wouldn't be a stretch to guess that one of the reasons the Korean dev team O.K.ed the change was because they trust localization to get their own country right. It is their job, after all. Especially considering the Koreans are the ones that made this game as it is in the first place. Unfortunately, America inherently procures too many people that let info selectively go in one ear and out the other. If we did this with every game, we would only use video games for education anymore. I still remember when moms went insane over their kids playing violent video games. Now it's shifting and that's somehow totally acceptable now...

You want controversial? Try something everyone -actually- agrees is wrong, like blatant prejudice remarks towards a real-life religion that has no context in the game. Just some normal NPC that spews anti-semitic remarks while casually sipping tea as everyone in town looks up to him. That would be a case where you just refuse to support the game anymore because the devs are way off wack. But this? This is like having that anti-semite getting what he deserves for being a prick. Neither is this a cultural difference or one where the devs were just disgusting buffoons, no. 

lol, just... really? This reaction isn't surprising, but I'm sincerely disappointed if you derived that I think stealing panties is okay because I justify that content already in a game should be left as is and that people should be able to make their own choices. If someone is supporting me because he wants to steal panties, that has nothing to do with what I'm saying -- it just goes with his agenda. Though, really, I haven't even  heard of anyone actually stealing panties from a girl. Even my most "dry" friends haven't resorted to anything remotely pathetic like that. 

And right there is the point. Even if someone is "hungry af" and they see this original questline play out, they still can make their own conscious decision to think "wow, that guy is pathetic! haha" or "damn, it HAS been a while since I stole panties!", and guess what? If he steal panties, it's because he's already messed up. Not because of this game. Surprise, that's why it's acceptable to put in the game because rarely people like this do exist, and in real life it's better to know how to feel about the situation before it even happens!

Some of the people in here need to take a class with a genuine feminist teacher for cultural lessons, not this new age abomination that we're all subjected to. I get it, everyone's equal now; it's great and I wouldn't have it any other way. Hell, I'm not even old enough to have experienced anything before Women's suffrage. But honestly, don't use equality as an excuse to abuse power like some men did when women had less.

At least it's entertaining to read and respond when I'm taking a break from studying... What a country to live in. First world problems, lol.

Leggo   

There is a quest in the area near the first wheel and boss, where in the original version the NPC , a uglish looking woman, but very narcissistic and confident of her looks, tells you how she forgot her mask when she went on a mission and she is scared that some spies seen her awesome fairytale looks and now they will come for her beauty, so she sends you off to recover the report in which the spy (or guard idk) might have wrote about her. When you get that report u will see that the guard thought she was a monster, a secret weapon made to defeat them. Now, this whole story is completely different in EU/NA... i remember it being so funny... disappointing that we have to give up stuff like this, we are no prudes or so easly offended... the game has a certain style and we should preserve it as a whole...

Edited by Leggo

Purple   

There is a quest in the area near the first wheel and boss, where in the original version the NPC , a uglish looking woman, but very narcissistic and confident of her looks, tells you how she forgot her mask when she went on a mission and she is scared that some spies seen her awesome fairytale looks and now they will come for her beauty, so she sends you off to recover the report in which the spy (or guard idk) might have wrote about her. When you get that report u will see that the guard thought she was a monster, a secret weapon made to defeat them. Now, this whole story is completely different in EU/NA... i remember it being so funny... disappointing that we have to give up stuff like this, we are no prudes or so easly offended... the game has a certain style and we should preserve it as a whole...

Yeah this was the whole point of the original post. Untill these sensitive bunch came along spouting nonsense, which most of them just skip through the quest and dont even care about the story, yet here they're arguing about it :)

Estribo   

I remember that one as well (I actually played far enough into CN to see that one :P). You're absolutely correct, in that they changed her from an amusingly vain woman to a perfectly professional guard. Thanks for reminding me about that one, as the original was good for a quick laugh. I believe she was originally shown as being afraid that one of the bandits was going to try and *cricket* her, and that that was the reason he was spying on her in the first place -- come to find out, he was the one who was legitimately afraid.

Edit: funnily enough, her animations remained the ones used by the stereotypical 'vain' women in-universe (checking their reflections and their nails whenever you activate them).

Edited by Estribo