Shirolicious

[Request] Arena PvP spectator mode

Anvh   

If i knew which video i might have done it but I dont even know that :/
But they are really looking making tournaments available for public at least

http://www.bladeandsouldojo.com/topic/124269-do-you-guys-think-the-player-base-will-be-enough/page__st__60__p__654051#entry654051

We would definitely support a superstar Tournament (maybe not to that prize pool); in fact, HQ really wants to have a NA and EU representative at the Worlds Championships they hold in Korea in November.

The difficulty is actually selecting who that representative would be in a fair manner. The territory we cover contains a lot of people, a lot of geographical spread, and a variety of pings.
In an ideal world, we'd have a system like how Magic: The Gathering works, where we would have official partners to host the local qualifiers, then regional qualifiers, then state qualifers (or nation, as it would be in the EU). Then we would host the NA/EU championships for the 1 representative for worlds. To be utterly frank, we just don't have the resources to first drum up enough interest on a local level for people to participate, and then go around to all mid-sized cities to host the tournament on a local level, then again on the regional, etc, etc.

This is an area that we have to be quite humble and say "we will need your help" in making it happen. We certainly want it to happen! It's just really really tough to do it on our own.

Seriak   

If i knew which video i might have done it but I dont even know that :/

But they are really looking making tournaments available for public at least

http://www.bladeandsouldojo.com/topic/124269-do-you-guys-think-the-player-base-will-be-enough/page__st__60__p__654051#entry654051

We would definitely support a superstar Tournament (maybe not to that prize pool); in fact, HQ really wants to have a NA and EU representative at the Worlds Championships they hold in Korea in November.

The difficulty is actually selecting who that representative would be in a fair manner. The territory we cover contains a lot of people, a lot of geographical spread, and a variety of pings.

In an ideal world, we'd have a system like how Magic: The Gathering works, where we would have official partners to host the local qualifiers, then regional qualifiers, then state qualifers (or nation, as it would be in the EU). Then we would host the NA/EU championships for the 1 representative for worlds. To be utterly frank, we just don't have the resources to first drum up enough interest on a local level for people to participate, and then go around to all mid-sized cities to host the tournament on a local level, then again on the regional, etc, etc.

This is an area that we have to be quite humble and say "we will need your help" in making it happen. We certainly want it to happen! It's just really really tough to do it on our own.

But see considering they claim to need to have qualifiers in all mid-sized cities kinda increases the claim that they WON'T have a spectator option otherwise they could just hold online tournaments as qualifiers for the lan tournaments like dota 2 would do, the way i understand this is they want people all around the world to hold tournaments on a local level then the winners of those go regional, and then so on so forth, but that wouldn't be necessary if spectating was a option lol.

Midoriko   

Do you have a source? Where did you hear this?

Livestream, July 29, 2015.  They will have one version of spectating for sure, and viewing 1 v 1 is "possible".  They were however not actively working on it at the time as their focus was entirely on getting the game ready for release.

This kind of stuff about in-game spectating doesn't need to be rushed. Lets see how big the player base will be... will this game become popular in terms of esport/competitiveness? will there be outside tournament organizers interested in hosting tournaments such as ESL, MLG etc.

For NCSoft to host their own tournament would require only admin spectating which they already have looking at asian tournaments. 

Another thing that might benefit NC and outside designers is if they would like to share the tools and a guide to public for creating content such as cosmetics, like some kind of workshop where designers can create their own cosmetics and post them somewhere on official webpage and the most voted/demanding ones gets implemented into the game. This way NCSoft cosmetic designers gets some time off plus the outside designers can receive some profits, for example 40% of that cosmetic sale goes to the designer and 60% to NCsoft.

More profit.

Anvh   

But see considering they claim to need to have qualifiers in all mid-sized cities kinda increases the claim that they WON'T have a spectator option otherwise they could just hold online tournaments as qualifiers for the lan tournaments like dota 2 would do, the way i understand this is they want people all around the world to hold tournaments on a local level then the winners of those go regional, and then so on so forth, but that wouldn't be necessary if spectating was a option lol.

It's the other way around they are saying they want that yes but they do not have the resources, they are asking OUR help for that so that means spectate mode so we can stream and shoutcast the matches

Seriak   

This kind of stuff about in-game spectating doesn't need to be rushed. Lets see how big the player base will be... will this game become popular in terms of esport/competitiveness? will there be outside tournament organizers interested in hosting tournaments such as ESL, MLG etc.

For NCSoft to host their own tournament would require only admin spectating which they already have looking at asian tournaments. 

Another thing that might benefit NC and outside designers is if they would like to share the tools and a guide to public for creating content such as cosmetics, like some kind of workshop where designers can create their own cosmetics and post them somewhere on official webpage and the most voted/demanding ones gets implemented into the game. This way NCSoft cosmetic designers gets some time off plus the outside designers can receive some profits, for example 40% of that cosmetic sale goes to the designer and 60% to NCsoft.

More profit.

Your right its something that doesn't need to be rushed, but I find it to be a convenience Like i said in an earlier post, me and my friends like to all gather up in arena and hang out taking turns fighting each-other while the others laugh and make fun of how bad we are, its not something that's really possible here, and its kind of saddening? but that aside it does make it hard for people to practice casting games, and it also makes it hard for amatuer tournaments as was repeatedly brought up, but the general consensuses of the forum is that its something they'd like to work on, so that's good. ^^

Pico   

Just chiming in to say I think this is a great idea.  I liked the spectator mode in GW2 and the combat in this game is even more fun to watch.

More profit.

Your right its something that doesn't need to be rushed, but I find it to be a convenience Like i said in an earlier post, me and my friends like to all gather up in arena and hang out taking turns fighting each-other while the others laugh and make fun of how bad we are, its not something that's really possible here, and its kind of saddening? but that aside it does make it hard for people to practice casting games, and it also makes it hard for amatuer tournaments as was repeatedly brought up, but the general consensuses of the forum is that its something they'd like to work on, so that's good. ^^

I would tend to agree that this feature does not need to be implemented right away, though it would be great if they could focus on features that greatly improve the PvP aspect of this game. If they need our help to make this game an eSports success. It would be fair to also supply the tools to us to make it grow. 

Spectating simply is a very important feature in eSports that you can not ignore. Later you can, as someone even mentioned in this topic even sell "tickets" for tournaments so you can spectate these matches live ingame while supporting the tournaments prize money and a little bit goes to the developer too. However it's too early to start talking about that. Though we do need the tools so we can actually help grow the PvP scene.

I don't see how this would be possible without a very rich featured "Spectator mode". It needs to contain all the tools to make it a good eSport (= Spectating) game.

p.s. 

Thanks guys for making a discussion in this thread. It is good and it also raises awareness to the developers. As unfortunately 90% of the posts here are still QQ related the better topics tend to drown 

to the 2nd-10th page very fast.  

Edited by Shirolicious

Anvh   

I'm surprised there isn't more people who care about this o.o

there is enough but what else is there to do then wait?

Seriak   

Just chiming in to say I think this is a great idea.  I liked the spectator mode in GW2 and the combat in this game is even more fun to watch.

Yeah, In a game that boasts wanting to be in esports and has such a fun to watch combat system, you'd think it woulda been added in by now, the games been out in other regions for like 3 years after all.

I would tend to agree that this feature does not need to be implemented right away, though it would be great if they could focus on features that greatly improve the PvP aspect of this game. If they need our help to make this game an eSports success. It would be fair to also supply the tools to us to make it grow. 

Spectating simply is a very important feature in eSports that you can not ignore. Later you can, as someone even mentioned in this topic even sell "tickets" for tournaments so you can spectate these matches live ingame while supporting the tournaments prize money and a little bit goes to the developer too. However it's too early to start talking about that. Though we do need the tools so we can actually help grow the PvP scene.

I don't see how this would be possible without a very rich featured "Spectator mode". It needs to contain all the tools to make it a good eSport (= Spectating) game.

p.s. 

Thanks guys for making a discussion in this thread. It is good and it also raises awareness to the developers. As unfortunately 90% of the posts here are still QQ related the better topics tend to drown 

to the 2nd-10th page very fast.  

Yeah, thats why i try and bump it whenever I see it fall on the second page, and I agree as said earlier it seems weird for a game not to have a spectator option when it wants to go into esports, like not even a simple one let alone a rich featured one,

there is enough but what else is there to do then wait?

Prove to the devs that this is something important to the community by bumping it and creating discussion revolved around it until we get some official word xD I hear from a number of comments they are intending to add it, But I never hear any sources flat out say that its a planned feature, So I'd like to bump the thread and keep it active until I get something that can put my mind at ease.

soon™

Half-life 3 soon, or Coming to NA soon? AKA never or hype it up for 2 years then drop it for 2 years? haha just kidding of course.

good idea B)

Glad other people are supporting the idea, 

Ola!

I am here to add more weight to the voice of the original poster. Idea fully supported by yours truly as well.

I'm sure the OP appreciates it as much as I do, (I had my own thread on this but he made one first so)

I am curious if someone knows how the current "Spectator" system works during the BnS World Championship? Anyone has an idea?

Would it be part of the Sandbox, would it be a standalone feature? Really curious.

Seriak   

I am curious if someone knows how the current "Spectator" system works during the BnS World Championship? Anyone has an idea?

Would it be part of the Sandbox, would it be a standalone feature? Really curious.

I think they just use admin powers to spectate? I'm not sure either to be honest because it has some pretty neat features, it just seems weird its not available to everyone.

Duelz   

PLEASE ADD THIS FEATURE!! Me and my friends absolutely love the arena PVP, but really need a way to watch each other fight 1v1... Also, if this game is going to be a big eSport, shouldn't there be a spectate mode regardless? xD... 

Drawgon   

I'm with Duelz on this, it NEEDS!! to be a thing,  it kills me and my friends that we can't see each other fight! It makes some of us just sit there and wait to HEAR who wins after the fight is over... This game is freaking sweeet! but it just needs needs neeeds

spectator mode!!

<3 yall and ya game.
Drawgon.

Soulune   

Bump! Amazing idea~ Honestly, the only reason the competitive scene might fade for B&S is the fact that we can't spectate -- ergo we can't run/stream our own tourneys. It's really boring to constantly ask friends how they're doing and not be able to watch them fight.

Seriak   

PLEASE ADD THIS FEATURE!! Me and my friends absolutely love the arena PVP, but really need a way to watch each other fight 1v1... Also, if this game is going to be a big eSport, shouldn't there be a spectate mode regardless? xD... 

Exactly what i was thinking xD I really enjoy watching my friends fight