XeroOne1

Q1 2016 launch vs Black Desert Online???

Dolan   

There is a reason why B&S is in top 5 most played MMORPG in Korea, while BDO isn't even in top 30.

Vanux   

Just tried BDO NA in CBT1 for about a week, got a character in about level 20.  I can say BDO and BnS are very different in terms of game play.  Both are very interesting and very well done.  I like BnS's combat system and art style, also like BDO's beautiful virtual world which is fun to explore and all the little stuff to do besides fighting mobs/players, the combat system in BDO is not bad, just not as good as BnS, but much better than TERA.  

It's really hard to choose which one to stick with, so I pre-ordered both.  ^.^

Freckles   

I don't think they appeal to the same crowd at all tbh.

There are some ppl out there who just play MMOs. So for them, they are probably gonna play bdo just like they would play any other mmos.

From what i've seen so far, many people who play BnS are mostly interested in either the PVP aspect of the game, the artstyle, or the fast paced and fluid attacks.

Also from what I've seen from the screenshot thread, BnS people are more artistics for the most part, and are more drawn towards Hyung Tae Kim artstyle. You can tell by the editing, or how they took their screenshot, placed their character, and so forth and so on.

While bdo is pretty, this is a total different artstyle, and for example it doesn't appeal to me at all. It's too textured, and looks too realistic, and the characters have this whole "medieval" look to them, for lack of a better word. It's hard to translate into words, but that's the way I feel when I look at the artstyle, while BnS is more "anime" "creative" looking and less realistic. Some people are gonna disagree with me, but that's my own feel about it.

Also from the videos i've watched about bdo (havent tried it myself), the attacks looks so slow and boring.

Finally, this is a totally different playstyle with the whole pvp world that BnS has, where it appeals more to people who played the same type of 1v1 combat/fighting games in the past such as tekken, soul calibur, street fighter, and so on.

So all in all, I don't think it's gonna affect much, since different crowds will be drawn to different places. :)

Rysa   

BDO may be visually far more impressive, it doesn't hold a candle to BnS in terms of gameplay, atmosphere and overall content. Based on the few hours I spent on the beta, the gameplay in BDO feels slow and clunky as hell, which is an instant no-go for me since I've been playing Dragon Nest/PSO2/Tera for years, some of the games that imo provide the best dynamic gameplay out there. It has close to zero content and absolutely no sense of immersion whatsoever. It just has great graphics and character customization going for it, and those are not what makes a game's foundation steady. Everything else feels lackluster so in the mid/long term, it's pretty obvious that BnS will have the upper hand.

xarallei   

They are totally different games. BDO is all about open world pvp and has sandbox elements and very little pve. B&S is more themepark style with both pve and pvp (though more arena style and less focus on open world pvp). While many people will probably try both, each game will tend to draw different types of players. They will each have their niche crowd to draw on. Personally, I don't really see myself playing BDO. That type of game is just not my thing. 

Balmafra   

Gonna play both. I have faith BDO will get better to be honest. The developers said that it's up to the publisher (Daum NA) on what will be in the game, so if the community fights for what we want, then we can get it. Seems like the Daum Staff are trying to look into things for us, so I believe things will improve down the road. And like many others have said, BDO is a different animal from B&S, so I don't even know why they are even being compared, but I hope both games exceed expectations down the line.

Marni   

They are totally different games. BDO is all about open world pvp and has sandbox elements and very little pve. B&S is more themepark style with both pve and pvp (though more arena style and less focus on open world pvp). While many people will probably try both, each game will tend to draw different types of players. They will each have their niche crowd to draw on. Personally, I don't really see myself playing BDO. That type of game is just not my thing. 

This is my feeling too. I like both and can see myself playing both. BnS doesn't have the owPVP or large scale PvP that I want, but BDO does. BnS has a lot of outfits and interesting classes to play. So I like a little bit of something from each and hope both do well.

ShiroUmi   

It is funny how some of the "kids"  on this forum is still trying their best to compare and bash on Black Desert online, while many better people - who actually have some brain cell and rational thought- have said countless of time that the two game are completely different from each other, which will draw in different type of players and groups.

If only you "kids" can be less bias and just except the fact that you can't really compare the two game, things would be much better. If you don't like the game, leave it be instead of bashing it, bashing it would just turn you into another fanboy/fangirl and no better than any other fanboys/fangirls you are pointing your finger at.

Love the games, play both; don't like the other one ? don't play and leave it be.

Kaal   

Pearl Abyss made the choice for me by IP blocking my country on EU server and forcing to play on ****NET. So instead me and my guild got here :p

ShiroUmi   

Pearl Abyss made the choice for me by IP blocking my country on EU server and forcing to play on ****NET. So instead me and my guild got here :P

IP blocking does not mean you are forever forbidden to play the game, much like some other game with region lock, there might be a version for EU down the road one day, you just have to wait and look out for it.

It took roughly 2-3 years for Aus people to get their own server for Vindictus, so there is nothing to fuss about with a new game like Black Desert. Hell, some of us actually had to wait 3+ years for B&S even.

There is a reason why B&S is in top 5 most played MMORPG in Korea, while BDO isn't even in top 30.

wwz2o08.png

No... No it isn't.

Black Desert is #81 though.

Edited by Barnivere

N3ph1lim   

I honestly don't think releasing around the same time as black desert online is that much of a smart move.

Graphically Black Dessert is better than BnS. Gameplay? I'm not sure. Character creation in black desert looks awesome.

I've purchased a founders pack for BnS and loved the first BETA weekend, but I must admit I'm going to be torn between this and Black Desert if they release together.

I know they are very different MMO styles, but still I'm not sure my self.

I've tried BDO, and I honestly think BnS has nothing to worry about that game. I spend one full day in BDO and I'm extremely underwhelmed by it. NCSoft can rest assured that my money is going to them.

Kiara   

wwz2o08.png

No... No it isn't.

Black Desert is #81 though.

Well, no...

It is 18th place overall... 6th place among MMORPGs

It is purely open world, with no instances at all, which means it's a given that the PvP would be open world. That said, while it's not like I've been following BDO super closely or anything, from what I gather about the Korean version at least, it's no longer the hardcore PvP fest people were wetting their panties over back before it started its Korean beta testing. During those betas they started, shall we say neutering the PvP by adding more penalties, as they only then realized that their market didn't really want a hardcore PvP fest, and something more casual would be more marketable. People then started to complain that they killed PvP in the game, and it was not worth doing except for certain types due to such significant penalties, so unless the NA/EU version pulled a sharp 180 degree turn on that, I'd wager it's the same here. More recent updates in Korea have added a new more PvP themed zone, but it still doesn't seem to be the heavily PvP themed game people used to be so hyped for in the past.

It is funny how some of the "kids"  on this forum is still trying their best to compare and bash on Black Desert online, while many better people - who actually have some brain cell and rational thought- have said countless of time that the two game are completely different from each other, which will draw in different type of players and groups.

If only you "kids" can be less bias and just except the fact that you can't really compare the two game, things would be much better. If you don't like the game, leave it be instead of bashing it, bashing it would just turn you into another fanboy/fangirl and no better than any other fanboys/fangirls you are pointing your finger at.

Love the games, play both; don't like the other one ? don't play and leave it be.

Er, it looked like people may have been ready to let this finally die again, as until you posted it had gone just shy of a full 24 hours without a post, and was getting buried under other posts again. Then you posted, so it was right at the top again when I logged in, as others noticing it at the top started posting too, good job there, way to follow your own advice.

Edited by Phoenix Shi

Kiara   

It's still not in the top 5... my point stands.

That is true, but I think the original post was talking about the monthly ranking, as it is ranked at 5 there.

It is funny how some of the "kids" on this forum is still trying their best to compare and bash on Black Desert online, while many better people - who actually have some brain cell and rational thought- have said countless of time that the two game are completely different from each other, which will draw in different type of players and groups.

I do agree with you. But you have to know that people are entitled to their option. No matter what forum it is, there will be different people with their different opinion.

Kaal   

IP blocking does not mean you are forever forbidden to play the game, much like some other game with region lock, there might be a version for EU down the road one day, you just have to wait and look out for it.

It took roughly 2-3 years for Aus people to get their own server for Vindictus, so there is nothing to fuss about with a new game like Black Desert. Hell, some of us actually had to wait 3+ years for B&S even.

I'm talking in particular about Baltic States. GameNET holds the rights to publish BDO in this area for whatever dumb reason (probably because the rest of the world still believe we're all Russian) and we're IP banned on NA/EU. This won't change, DAUM EU shoves all responsibility away and points fingers at GameNET and Pearl Abyss, GameNET won't even answer support messages in English and points fingers at Pearl Abyss, and Pearl Abyss simply ignores every appeal. So this is a lost cause.

Also, your Vindictus example is poor. Nexon IP blocked Baltic States too for the same reason and never called it back. Neither anyone released Vindictus for our region to this day. Which is even more silly than the BDO thing.

I find this geoblocking idiotic but there's nothing one can do to change the minds of these old fashioned snobs that run this thing. So I had two choices: 1) pay for VPN and support these kind of developers (because BDO is B2P) or 2) spend my money on another game without all this bullcrap and bring friends too.

I chose 2nd option and never looked back :)

Slashz   

don't forget that Black Desert got IP block so that generally excluding all people outside EU which is a fail move tbh

Black Desert has no real "endgame".  The only thing to really do in terms of content once you have reached the soft cap on your skills is world pvp.  While there is certainly a market for this type of game, history has taught us that it's, at most, a niche group.  Sandbox pvp games will always have a market, and while there are many people on forums and in general chat that will say they want this type of game, when push comes to shove, it's not really what most people are looking for in an MMO. 

Blade and Soul has much more of a mass market appeal.  While I think both games will find an audience in the west, I don't see Black Desert stealing players from Blade and Soul.  Honestly, while they are visually similar, the games have very little in common. 

ShiroUmi   

I do agree with you. But you have to know that people are entitled to their option. No matter what forum it is, there will be different people with their different opinion.

Having different opinions and discussing on a civilized manner about those opinions is different from bashing on the other game with all their might of being bias. 

Sadly, most of the people here are bashing instead of having just "opinion". 

I'm talking in particular about Baltic States. GameNET holds the rights to publish BDO in this area for whatever dumb reason (probably because the rest of the world still believe we're all Russian) and we're IP banned on NA/EU. This won't change, DAUM EU shoves all responsibility away and points fingers at GameNET and Pearl Abyss, GameNET won't even answer support messages in English and points fingers at Pearl Abyss, and Pearl Abyss simply ignores every appeal. So this is a lost cause.

Also, your Vindictus example is poor. Nexon IP blocked Baltic States too for the same reason and never called it back. Neither anyone released Vindictus for our region to this day. Which is even more silly than the BDO thing.

I find this geoblocking idiotic but there's nothing one can do to change the minds of these old fashioned snobs that run this thing. So I had two choices: 1) pay for VPN and support these kind of developers (because BDO is B2P) or 2) spend my money on another game without all this bullcrap and bring friends too.

I chose 2nd option and never looked back :)

First of, I don't know exactly where you live, so I can not give a 100% accurate answer, hence this is just a general answer based on what I have experienced so far with games that have region lock.

Second, my example is just to show you, on a general point of view, that having IP/Region lock is not the end of the world, the game may or may not come and it is just the matter of time; but that being said, you are free to play or support whichever game you want.

Though, if Putin can be a bit less greedy and stop trying to steal other countries around Rusia, things might get brighter for you guys.

vis   

You pretty much described BnS, you know, or most MMO's for that matter. And while I love the anime style of the characters in BnS, let's be honest, the actual variety of features and customization, while good, are far from great. I've seen some character builds in BDO that are pretty variant, at least as much as what BnS offers (unfortunately it looks like some of the more unique features are behind a paywall, :( ).

In BDO, your basic look is completely dependant on which class you choose.

Want to make a normal looking male? Warrior is the only choice.

Want to play a wizard? You have to look like an old man.

Want to fight with bow and arrow? You have to be female.

And more variants of the above.

Customization is OK, but as mentioned before, you choose one of a couple of basic face types, and then your look will visibly be a variant of that face type, if you don't want to create a freak.

That's not my experience with BnS. In BnS it's much easier to create a unique character, with fewer restrictions.

Regarding the combat, I kind of liked BDO. It's got similar "conditional" skill buttons as BnS, similar speedy combat. I did not get into higher levels, though.