Sign in to follow this  
Yxion

Yxion's CB1 weekend report.

Yxion   

[DISCLAIMER: To put this post in context I did have the Founder's Master Pack and played with Premium active. I reached level 42(43?) Blade Dancer in 4 days. I did not play in Alpha, but will be playing in all the CB weekends and plan on continuing after release. I won't be joining any clans in CB, no I won't PvP you, Crimson Legion > Cerulean Order (yeah I went there!)]

I hate starting posts off with negatives, so lets begin with what I liked.

Overall the game is great. I am excited to keep playing and look forward to the next CB weekend and the eventual release. The combat system is interesting, fluid, and complex enough that even playing the same class as someone else you can feel like your playing it differently and get a sense of individuality that some games don't offer. (Most of) The outfits are nice, quite a few caught my eye and I do feel (even without an impact on stats) the desire to go out of my way to get some of them. It is an iteresting system in the sense of open world PvP being tied to factions that you have to wear gear for to participate, butI like this. I think I am more open to doing PvP (I am usually a PvE player) because I can make the CHOICE to do so, not be forced to cower in "safe zones" when rampaging high levels decide to camp low-level areas. THere is a wide range of crafting and gatehring options (I admittedly haven't explored them yet) and look forweard to messing around with them in a future CB weekend. Crafting and Gathering is another high point for me and something I really enjoy. In fact in FFXIV (which I started playing in 2010) after playing for a year I had, I believe, 4 or 5 crafting/gathering classes at max level (50) and my highest combat class was level 30. LOL The upgrade system for weapon and accessories and fusion system for Soul Shields is pretty solid. Allowing growth without always chasing new (visually different) gear sets is refreshing. I mostly wore one set of clothes I liked the entire way from 1-42(43?) this CB weekend cause I really liked the way it looked.

Now on to some more tedious things...

Combat:

Healing I feel needs to be looked at. There are many ways to mitigate damage, but I think that from my experience with Blade Dancer at least, that it needs some minor adjustments. I newver came across anything that gave in combat health regeneration (even though there was a stat for it in character status?). I did some some soucres of healing through either % based heals in abilities, or some small on-hit style trigger effects from gems. I am not sure how these all work in "end-game", but if it wasn't for a steady supply of potions (of which I feel I am gonna be focused on crafting on release) a lot of things would have been impossible for me to do. I don't know how much of this is bad balance, or if it is just a design mechanic implemented to pushing people to spend money. EIther way, I feel like there needs to be some kind of reliable way to get some kind of healing in fights. Maybe like a supply chest when you enter a dungeon that gives you temporary items (that go away when you exit if you did not consume). These would help mitigate, but not fully replace, the need for things within a dungeon, and ease the burden on non-cash shop players.

PVP:

I am not going to say anything. I am a PvE player. I have a few qualms with PvP (I did try it and actually won a duel!), but I don't feel like I have the authority to criticize the system. I will leave that to others. I will say that I think the faction gear open world system should be untouched so that PvE players like me can progress and play without fear of being camped.

Marketplace:

First of all let me say this: I will be Premium when I am playing B&S. I am a crafter. I like making things, and selling things. EVEN WITH PREMIUM THE MAXIMUM ITEMS I CAN SELL DAILY IS 30!!! Now this is why it is frustrating: It is not frustrating because it stops me from selling things (always a work around) it is frustrating because I have to use a workaround to do it. I can sell 30 items on the marketplace in less than 30 minutes. Now I have no reason to play. NPCing items sellable on the market place for more than a 1 copper profit is plain stupid. Farming/crafting after I hit my limit is also stupid as the only thing I will accomplish is filling up my vault and inventory. Shouting in every channel to try and sell my items via trade/mail because I can't sell shit on the markplace is also stupid (no one wants to look at that spam). The only option is to have maximum number of characters on an account for more storage/marketplace slots. THen create a SECOND and THIRD and FORTH account so that you can mail everything to everyone and still sell things. See what I am getting at? They are not preventing anything, only making it a huge headache for those of us that like to make stuff or farm items.

"But it is to prevent bots!!" - you say? No it isn't. Anyone willing to bot farm is willing to cycle items endlessly through multiple accounts to bypass limitations, because they (RMT) already do that to avoid detection. The "simultaneous" limit is fine, don't get me wrong, I am fine with that (sort of), but not only do non-premium players need to sell more daily, premium players should have either a REALLY high limit, or no limit at all.

Inventory:

One thing I never liked about F2P models is what they do with inventory. If you want to encourage cash shop sales focus on the "Vault" and shared inventory slots accross characters on an account. When it comes to personal inventory space, make it uniform. I shouldn't be a Lyn premium player that can carry 10 times more stuff than a Gon F2P player. It makes no sense. YOu obviously CARE about sense, due to a Lyn not being able to play a grapple class like Kung Fu Master due to a tiny person not being able to strong arm a giant. (Logic is amazing!) Don't be two-faced and then justify a tiny person carrying more than a large person. (At least to some extent.) Offer more "free inventory slots" or give out more free unlocks as you level. Don't foce people to make multiple accounts to transfer/hold items, add shared vault space and put retrictions on "certain" items. There is enough time-sinks and gates on progression that this can be justified.

Quests:

Consider taking a page from the Square-Enix handbook (I am sure other games have done this but I don't know all of them)... questing is sometimes extremely frustrating...kill X number of Y mobs. This is fine: except when there are 50 other people killing the same 5 mobs you need and you need to kill 15 of them. If people don't cooperate a quest that should only take 5-15 minutes at most, now takes an hour. Maybe add in a way in which if you contribute enough (DMG) to a mob even if you don't "claim" it first, it also gives you credit for your quest. I will say that people got better as I leveled about grouping up when this situation happened, but not often enough and it just turned into a frustrating situation where you sit in one spot and camp ONE mob's exact respawn point just so you could at least guarenteed claim it. Some quests had a time limit involved in which only a certain number of targets were available and the quest was almost impossible to clear if more than one person was doing it at once. Quests that involve just "gathering" could easily be implemented in a way that the "gathering spots" are only visible to people with the quest flagged, and unique to the player. That way each person can go and find the spots and compelte the quest without spawn competition. THis also alieviates the need for just having a spot respawn every 5 seconds and doing a gather quest by sitting on one spot and never moving (which makes no sense). If the spots are only visible to the questing player and each spot unqiue to that player then you can have the spots NOT respawn, which means the player has to go and find ALL the spots (which makes a LOT more sense).

Dungeons:

Enforce minimum level. There was nothing more frustrating then queing for a 36+ dungeon and getting 20 somethings in cross-server lobby. ALl this did was result in me leavng party and requeing because I'll be damned if I am gonan carry some person who gets one-shot by everything through a dungeon and then compete with them for drops. Add the option (AT LEAST) to the dungeon lobby to restrict the level of party members to a certain minimum or a range (to prevent high level players from joining and easily winning all bids due to naturally having a TON more moeny to spend. (This particular thing was never a problem for me, BUT I can still see it being an issue for someone.) Also, CLARITY...some dungeons you came across and could enter LONG before you chould be (Forgotten Tomb is a great example.) You get to that area in the twenties and a lot of people mistakenly thought it was a dungeon you could do at that level. Need to make sure people understand what it is they should and shouldn't be doing. So either hard restrict entry and at the very least give a good warning, or an option to easily kick and replace members in cross-server dungeon lobby.

Items:

The only thing I am really going to say here is about gems, specifically transmution. Instead of giving a horrible % chance to succeed and STILL taking your money in the attempt, why don't you just increase the required item count for transmutation? Make it 100% success, but instead of requireing say 3 or 4 gem fragments, require 10 or 20. WIth the countless restrictions on making money and everything costing it (upgrading gear, shield fusion, repairs, food, healing, teleporting) I think leaving the RNG out here and balancing production with initial cost is a better choice.

Character creation:

Let me pick ears and tail seperately and let me choose the color!!!!

Closing:

That about wraps it up for this weekend. Asa reminder this is just my thoughts, impressions, and suggestions for my first CB weekend. Feel free to comment, discuss, ask questions, whatever. See you all next CB weekend.

Midoriko   

I ESPECIALLY agree about the selling limits in the marketplace.  They're, to be frank, counterproductive.  What a wonderful way to get people to ragequit due to needless frustration, particularly with premium players. 

Great post, Agree with the marketplace and healing issues most specifically. This will be definitely a game to guild up for when it comes to dungeons to prevent being taken advantage of by trolls

Healing Issues - There is no healing issues if you found any it was because your group wasnt playing as intended.

1.Summoner can do some healing on the group around 20% with one skill every 18 seconds and mixing that with pots is around 50% hp with the normal small pots.

2. Blade Masters/Kung Fu Masters/Destroyers all have tanking ablitys to stop the group taking damage and with some cc mixed in destroyer lifting bosses etc.

With these small things healing isnt a major issue unless your (standing in the fire/taking too much damage) Although you might not see this more so until later on as most dont know there class or quickly change some skll points when entering a group dungeon.

Market Issues - I myself bought the founders and was PREMIUM now this is a major issue being limited to what you can sell pre day. When i got to level 42 i upgraded my weapon and it cost me 2g leaving me with a little amount now consider for 2 days solid i sold the full amount on the market place. I find myself to be a crafter but also a market player buying low priced items and selling them for more. Limited this amount puts me off quite alot since i think it prevents that kind of player the crafter and sellers having as much fun in the game as they should. I do however believe that the 30 market cap should be on none PREMIUM members.

Daithi   

good feedback just feeling some concerns from a new player its fine but with time you will find some of these points you made were a bit wrong like with healing in combat, if you get the right gems, optimize your build tree and learn to parry block dodge you will see you wont need to buy potions neither craft because they drop everywhere still as i sad nice feedback

Combat:

Healing I feel needs to be looked at. There are many ways to mitigate damage, but I think that from my experience with Blade Dancer at least, that it needs some minor adjustments. I newver came across anything that gave in combat health regeneration (even though there was a stat for it in character status?). I did some some soucres of healing through either % based heals in abilities, or some small on-hit style trigger effects from gems. I am not sure how these all work in "end-game", but if it wasn't for a steady supply of potions (of which I feel I am gonna be focused on crafting on release) a lot of things would have been impossible for me to do. I don't know how much of this is bad balance, or if it is just a design mechanic implemented to pushing people to spend money. EIther way, I feel like there needs to be some kind of reliable way to get some kind of healing in fights. Maybe like a supply chest when you enter a dungeon that gives you temporary items (that go away when you exit if you did not consume). These would help mitigate, but not fully replace, the need for things within a dungeon, and ease the burden on non-cash shop players.

Lifesteal gems are near useless at endgame. Your HP can reach 40k+, and the highest lifesteal gem available only heals for 300 HP per hit. Regular otions used to heal 50% of your HP as well, but only do 30% now. I'm pretty sure this was done in an effort to force the population to Git Gud. You can recover from mistakes with lifesteal gems/skills and HoT potions, but only if you don't make another mistake too soon after. As a FM I used to be able to heal 20%-30% of my HP at endgame with just one skill that I could practically spam, totally eliminating the threat of most bosses. Now it'd take me a full minute of immaculate critting to get that amount recovered, barring any stray hits I might suffer.

Though I understand why you're miffed about it, since leveling involves endless trash mobs that die too fast to even care about dodging their attacks, meaning you suffer a lot of damage just naturally. This falls off later in the game, especially when dealing with bosses since all of their attacks are meant to be dodgeable. The low-cooldown, high healing potions trivialize any content and that's probably why they're only available by survey/daily dash/cash shop. If someone wants to drop money to faceroll a dungeon, NC won't pass it up. But these potions are far from needed once you learn patterns and mechanics.

And I'll also echo the other posters here, Summoners can heal their party with Morning Glory(Doom N' Bloom is the translation they used for NA I think?). ~20% HP AoE heal on a relatively low cooldown. They have to be traited for it though. Some classes also can trait their dodges to heal them after their actually evade an attack with it, and those heals are % based so they're useful at any amount of HP.

Danielle   

Dungeons:

Enforce minimum level. There was nothing more frustrating then queing for a 36+ dungeon and getting 20 somethings in cross-server lobby. ALl this did was result in me leavng party and requeing because I'll be damned if I am gonan carry some person who gets one-shot by everything through a dungeon and then compete with them for drops. Add the option (AT LEAST) to the dungeon lobby to restrict the level of party members to a certain minimum or a range (to prevent high level players from joining and easily winning all bids due to naturally having a TON more moeny to spend. (This particular thing was never a problem for me, BUT I can still see it being an issue for someone.) Also, CLARITY...some dungeons you came across and could enter LONG before you chould be (Forgotten Tomb is a great example.) You get to that area in the twenties and a lot of people mistakenly thought it was a dungeon you could do at that level. Need to make sure people understand what it is they should and shouldn't be doing. So either hard restrict entry and at the very least give a good warning, or an option to easily kick and replace members in cross-server dungeon lobby.

there is a weapon requirements on dungeons and those weapons have level requirements..

when my friends forget to equip their actual weapon (after leaving pvp), we can't queue our big 4 dungeons because they don't have the requirements even though they are an adequate level..

if you don't enjoy F8 dungeon queue, try F7 right in front of the dungeon

Yxion   

1.Summoner can do some healing on the group around 20% with one skill every 18 seconds and mixing that with pots is around 50% hp with the normal small pots

I leveled from 1-43 and farmed quite a few dungeon, both with party finder and (mostly) with cross-server dungeon lobby. I'd say I did at LEAST a 100+ runs and never once saw a summoner.

I play blade dancer so I have some decent dmg mitigation and some healing tools but the cool downs are long and I find them to be lacking in value. (Maybe increase the numbers a bit.)

I will admit that as I get better as a player that will also make a difference. I am by no means amazing at this game, but if you consider most people probably are not amazing as well... you can see where I am coming from.

Yxion   

there is a weapon requirements on dungeons and those weapons have level requirements..

when my friends forget to equip their actual weapon (after leaving pvp), we can't queue our big 4 dungeons because they don't have the requirements even though they are an adequate level..

if you don't enjoy F8 dungeon queue, try F7 right in front of the dungeon

And yet you still get Level 21s in Tomb of the Exile, and Forgotten Tomb...etc...

Danielle   

And yet you still get Level 21s in Tomb of the Exile, and Forgotten Tomb...etc...

then they fit the dungeon requirements... which isn't much.

so just stand in front of the dungeon and use party finder F7. the only people there will be people who have made it that far (30+)

stop using the cross-server dungeon(F8) thing for a while :/

Vinn102   

I'm going to mention one thing that is relatively important and slightly p2w.

I believe at Rank 9? or Rank 10? Premium, your listings increase from 30 to 100. That's an immense boost. Just saying.. Check out the Premium Rank Benefits page again when you get the chance, and you may be surprised how much more you get with max rank 10 of Premium. Do know that getting to rank 10 costs between 400-500 dollars, even if you start out at rank 5.

I dont see where you guys are coming from with the healing problem (when it comes to blade dancer at least). I played china server from closed beta till the na cbt and I didnt have much of a problem living threw alot of attacks(when I wasnt spikeing or laging hard) with my horriable 200 ms(sometimes felt like 140 ms witch I was hiting for a while). sometimes it was higher, I put points in my skills to live threw things I learned my delay and the attack pattarns of the bosses I fought and my dam tell tell sighs of attack was glitched from open beta till now there so I couldnt even see them like other players. like srsly xD(video of me in china with horriable spikeing ping soloing red lotus OH u can all so see what I mean by my tell tell signs of attack being buged in the video) > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do0am_yVSnQ

but I studyed video learned the fight and planed and skilled myself to the fight, did poe, shark and mushin tower the only problem I ever had was the random ping change that would mess up my dps badly and sometimes get me killed. but on this server with the ping I have. I only died once in pvp and pve due to a screen freeze and im by far not the best player Lol.

I think in my opinion the healing thing is on you. learn ur class, how to stick and move, keep ur dps and crit up and push cc. know your skills and there cool downs like srsly xD LBM has alot of inv frame skills and if u use em right ur untouchable kinda xP

Edited by TripleBlack

Danielle   

I believe at Rank 9? or Rank 10? Premium, your listings increase from 30 to 100. That's an immense boost. Just saying.. Check out the Premium Rank Benefits page again when you get the chance, and you may be surprised how much more you get with max rank 10 of Premium. Do know that getting to rank 10 costs between 400-500 dollars, even if you start out at rank 5.

TRMtHEP.png

rank 3 is 20, rank 4 is 30, rank 10 is 30.

You were looking at the currency exchange, not the marketplace... 

Zippity   

I did not have a chance to mess with the Transmutation system too much, but based off your comments and my prior experience with other asian MMORPG's... Typically, in alot of MMO's from the asian market, they tend to push players into purchasing items from the cash shop to increase chances for these sorts of things... And the way they do this, is low success chance for things like Visual Transmutation or other non-game breaking random chance situations or items... For a more guaranteed or high success chance, you would spend a little in their cash shop...

Now, I have no idea if that is the route this game will take for a Western market, but that it how I've seen lots of other Asian market games handle it...

Just look at FlyFF and Runes of Magic... Big Asian Market games ported to the Western market, and they push folks into spending a little real money in their Cash shop on these sorts of items or chance situations... As an example, in FlyFF you can hatch eggs for pets and so on, the chances of getting a really good pet are small, unless you spend some real money or grind for a really long time to increase that chance, same for their gear upgrade system where at least in this game there is no chance of the gear breaking forever from a really bad roll of the chance dice...

Don't let most FTP games trick you into a false sense of never costing any amount of real money, ever... There will always be either gates or incentives to spend real money at some point... And although you don't have to spend, you may either feel a sense of falling behind your friends that do, or you may not like gambling and prefer a better guarantee when rolling the dice...

Thus far, I'm fairly impressed with this games current incarnation... Although I did feel I was leveling a bit fast, I did feel they were really attempting to ease me into the dynamics of combat and available combo's over the long haul... Instead of a really long tutorial, they keep introducing tutorial type elements all throughout your characters progression to help you realize it's true potential without having to read a bunch of guides or watch a bunch of vid's...

Zip

Yxion   

The 100 is for currency exchange. Marketplace daily sell limit is capped at 30 from ranks 4-10.

Edited by Yxion

Yxion   

I did not have a chance to mess with the Transmutation system too much, but based off your comments and my prior experience with other asian MMORPG's... Typically, in alot of MMO's from the asian market, they tend to push players into purchasing items from the cash shop to increase chances for these sorts of things... And the way they do this, is low success chance for things like Visual Transmutation or other non-game breaking random chance situations or items... For a more guaranteed or high success chance, you would spend a little in their cash shop...

Now, I have no idea if that is the route this game will take for a Western market, but that it how I've seen lots of other Asian market games handle it...

Just look at FlyFF and Runes of Magic... Big Asian Market games ported to the Western market, and they push folks into spending a little real money in their Cash shop on these sorts of items or chance situations... As an example, in FlyFF you can hatch eggs for pets and so on, the chances of getting a really good pet are small, unless you spend some real money or grind for a really long time to increase that chance, same for their gear upgrade system where at least in this game there is no chance of the gear breaking forever from a really bad roll of the chance dice...

Don't let most FTP games trick you into a false sense of never costing any amount of real money, ever... There will always be either gates or incentives to spend real money at some point... And although you don't have to spend, you may either feel a sense of falling behind your friends that do, or you may not like gambling and prefer a better guarantee when rolling the dice...

Thus far, I'm fairly impressed with this games current incarnation... Although I did feel I was leveling a bit fast, I did feel they were really attempting to ease me into the dynamics of combat and available combo's over the long haul... Instead of a really long tutorial, they keep introducing tutorial type elements all throughout your characters progression to help you realize it's true potential without having to read a bunch of guides or watch a bunch of vid's...

Zip

I'm not saying change the outcome, just the approach. You can achieve an overall gem generation amount the same way by doing some math and adjusting required materials based on the current percentage chance to succeed. Then just scale up the required amount enough to allow for 100% success rate without increasing the overall amount of gems producible over time on any given server.

Edited by Yxion

Sign in to follow this