Taybat

Concern about the Community

Taybat   

This a tricky subject to talk about as I know most players suggestion would be to "turn off chat" "block people" "join a nice guild" etc etc. But it's still something that needs to be brought to the mods attention.

I have played different mmo's both f2p,b2p,and sub based. And from what I have seen from Alpha bns seems to be one of the worst from the games I've played.The other one being TERA. And while yes I know f2p games tend to have the worser communities because of how easy it is for people to get in. I still don't think it's an excuse.

I already kinda asked this question in the open Localization thread.Which was the wrong place to ask I later realize. I did get a response. You can read it down below if you wish.

My question concerning the community.

I was thinking about making a seprate forum post for this. But I think I will just ask here. How does Ncsoft plan on keeping the community safe and friendly?

I ask this because I have seen too many free to play games get ruined by having a toxic community. And I'm kinda sad but just from playing alpha this weekend I have already seen very toxic chat in game. mostly from legion chat.

I won't go into much detail of what I read. But alot of it included foul launguage,racial slurs, sexist comments. Not to mention the raging hate any player got for asking a question.

Sure I know most people's answer would be blocking and turning off certain chats. But for a game that is just getting started (in the west at least) I know NCsoft doesn't want this kind of community for there game. It's going to turn away players. Both new and old to bns.

How are you guys going about keeping the player community great?

@Taybat & AquariusHaken

As AquariusHaken has accurately observed, that's not really something I have any say in since I'm part of the localization/writing team, not community management. They're the ones you'd be able to get a better answer out of.

In general though? Speaking as a long-time player of MMOs myself, the best advice I can give is to live by example. If you want to promote a responsible, polite community then behave that way yourself. Don't tolerate bad behavior and instead work to do good for the sake of your fellow players. Be kind, be courteous, and be helpful. It's natural that all communities will have their bad apples, elitists, and trouble makers who will do nothing but cause grief as a matter of course, but those are quite often merely a vocal minority. We have no way of knowing how the upcoming Blade & Soul player community will develop ahead of time so we'll all just have to sit tight and see what happens.

Blade & Soul has a fairly unique situation in that there is a large number of players who have already mastered the game in its earlier incarnations, so they're coming into the upcoming full release with a lot of experience under their belts. They already know how to level their characters, skills, and gear efficiently, how to take on all the bosses, and other facets of gameplay that newcomers will be figuring out for the first time. A habit I always develop when I play multiplayer games, particularly MMOs, is that I tend to reach a certain level of power/wealth/experience/etc. and then backtrack. I like to help out the noobs - players struggling with the system, trying to figure things out, or just slogging along like everyone else. Back when I played City of Heroes, I would run a sort of "group teleport taxi service" where I would tour players around the maps to help them get hidden achievements and waypoints. I think it would make great strides for helping to build a solid, helpful community if long-time players of Blade & Soul took a patient approach with the newcomers and helped to guide them through the game's ins-and-outs. If nothing else, it fits the Wuxia theme rather well: you all are the old masters who have the chance to help train the upcoming generation of young martial artists. It's a unique position to be in.

I've been discussing with players about the game's community. And alot arn't pleased with what they saw.

I know the community mostly depends on the players themselves to be great but there are things NCsoft can do to help.

Like having an easy and responsive way to report harrasment. And to have the mods actually react to it. I know this seems like a no brainer. But I have seen other companies ignore reports.

Also someone brought it to my attention that people were using inaproprate names for there characters. Most mmo's have it so it blocks certain words in character creation,so those types of names arn't allowed.

And just overall promote a postive community. Like hosting positive streamers and encouraging to help players.

Edited by Taybat

Daithi   

It's the new trending, all wanna be memers and trolls, its everywhere, in every chat. There is nothing any can do just ignore it.

Kounat   

Exactly what's been bothering me. This game is beautiful and I'm so looking forward to finally playing it with a good ping and no lag and everything in English and just everything. I'm hyped for official launch, to say the least. This past weekend was disgusting in the chats - people cursing eachother out non-stop, people with non-stop sexual talk and borderline rapiist and pedophile-like discussions, and there were quite a few names that shouldn't have been able to be made. I'm fine with this stuff on occasion, I mean I kinda expect it from an MMO and from people online in general, but constantly? Something needs to be done. It's just spam, it's not even funny or troll-y or anything like that, it's just cringe-y annoying spam. A friend of mine suggested an admin/GM/Mod should be there to monitor the chats - now where this is doable, I understand the difficulty in having an actual person there all the time watching. I also understand we have censors that we can turn on and off, but I also think someone having to see ***** **** ** ***** **** everywhere because people are stupid, doesn't fix the issue. My suggestion to the mods or whoever is taking suggestions is to have an actual person hop on there from time to time to check things out but also have a bot that monitors the chat and if they detect too much language that would be caught by the censor being said too much by one person or in a discussion, they should mute the people for awhile. The game already had spam filters built into it, so having a bot that can implement it on people is pretty do-able I think. I think this would solve the issue because even though there were many people taking part in the sadness this weekend, there were some people who did nothing else but talk in these chats and were a constant issue with it so if they were removed/muted, things would probably settle down on their own like in other MMOs/versions of BNS.

Emmesty   

There is a big difference between the bns dojo crowd and the alpha community.  I've been struggling with this one a bit, my first impulse is to ask for strict chat monitoring and such so that I don't have to disable half of the communication in the game to escape the mouth breathers.  The part that's conflicting about this is that this sort of thing can easily turn against people, and I'm not sure we want to be in a place where there are arbitrary bans going out for someone using bad language, we see this a lot in other games and they have become experiments in social engineering more than game communities.  The best compromise I can hope for on this one is no chat moderation, so I can say whatever I want to put these idiots down.  Very few of them are deeper than surface thinkers and they're intimidated by words that have more than two syllables.

Edit: My biggest fear is that what we saw was the community that had to buy in, we have a larger group who have no skin in the game coming.

Edited by Emmesty

Invalid   

I do certainly agree that there should be a simple way for player's to report harassment of other players but I disagree to the point where you said we should block certain words, like other MMOs do. Yes, people will insult and use "inappropriate" words (reason why I put it in quotations because it depends if the person hearing the word thinks it's bad or not) against others, doesn't mean we should censor them because a couple people thinks it's inappropriate. Reporting harassment and having punishment for the ones harassing seems more suitable but censoring words because it triggers certain players is pretty, excuse my language, bullshit. Like what I just said for instance. If I said "shit" and it honestly bothers you so much (I'm not talking about you exactly, just using an example), just block me. It's not my fault the me, and many other people are comfortable with these words and you're not. Honestly, the people that ruin the community are the constant harassers, and "cool" memers/trollers that do it on purpose or simply because they're angry. I personally think it's fine to do it with a friend, or with someone who doesn't mind it and knows you're screwing around, but if you're doing it to randoms that don't like that kind of thing, it can be a problem. That's why I think blocking, or reporting is more appropriate than just banning words. As for banning certain words for character names, I think that's an exception. 

After seeing what goes on in the chat, I can say that I really don't care what people say as long as there isn't spam going on. If something bothers me, I block that person and if I can't see what's going on between a conversation with a random player, I'll just whisper. 

If you ignore all that, the community, I personally think, is really positive already. In blue faction chat, there are people constantly helping each other and offering advice to other players. If you stop focusing on the crap that bothers you, you'll see the positive side. 

TL;DR - Report harassment/block annoying people and don't censor words in chat. If it triggers you that much, then block. A lot more people are comfortable with certain words than you think and shouldn't cater to your feelings because it triggers you. Sorry that it bothers you but I'm having a conversation with friends and people that aren't bothered by it. Block me. Punish harassment in chat and spammers that spout useless shit constantly.

Edited by Invalid

The only problematic thing I spotted was the constant "troll" attempts from a few individuals, but in those cases the chat quickly recognized them and several people pointed out that they were just saying provocative/absurd/strange things to get reactions from people.

Even so it wasn't unusual for someone to "take the bait" and get into a serious arguement with the "troll", which caused a highly unproductive and slightly unpleasant atmosphere.

Whenever it happened it basicly interfered with people trying to ask questions, people trying to answer those questions, people trying to talk game related things, and generally conversations that help the community bond.

EDIT: Well 2nd problematic thing I noticed were a few individuals who directly attacked others verbally, that was mighty unpleasant, but I feel blocking/muting such a person is sufficient means of dealing with them.

So with that said I would like the game to clarify this option for the player, remind people that they have the option to block/mute a player that harrash them or is otherwise attempting to attack them verbally.

Edited by ssolitude

Trane   

The world of "memes" to overrun the entire internet and the Internet underworld reaching mmo and everything you can imagine, you know...

Moreover, the game is f2p not mean that the community is toxic yes or yes, I mean if a spoiled child  buy a smartphone 300€/$, so we can pay monthly or game b2p + expansions with  money their parents. Also an adult who pays their bills can do the same and not because we be adults, can be better than the kids (I speak in general don't misunderstand).

I played games f2p where the only bad thing was the elitism, although the community on servers and games I've played (for many years) have always been united communities, and we take care of it. There is a trend to be joking or being excessively troll, sexist, etc... well, that is the mods should be responsible for placing order.

The names with offensive words is a great oversight by the ncwest team, can get the name "dick" or "bigboobs"... very bad ncwest.

The problem of people who respond poorly to questions or be offensive, is typical anywhere, I'm sure there are many players who don't mind helping out when they can, but after the alpha, I'm having the feeling that the term "veteran" begins to mix with elitist and I hate that feeling... I can be totally wrong, but most of the complaints come from people who already know about the game in other regions (generally spoke again).

To be honest, many times the people ask everywhere things that have been answered many times and it bothers me, but simply ignore or answer telling where they can find such information. You never know if a lazy or someone who has not found such information and therefore question...

Especially this can talk for hours even days, don't pretend to be a perfect community without toxic people, because in real life no one is perfect, but it would be a good reflection in which support and I think on the one hand is what you search, we have our lives and our things and play for fun, talking to people in different places/worldwide and disconnect a little of everything.

on the other hand we must be positive, not everyone is like the group of "trolls" that was in the alpha (ncwest should bring order to the unwritten rules of coexistence in communities).
we must have a sense of humor, but with respect and that depends on all of us. Things related to racism, pedo, racism, misfortunes, etc, should leave to talk with friends or people in your clan, not for a "world" chat.
Edited by Trane

Sogonzo   

Faction chat during alpha 1 was pretty entertaining. It was ridiculous at times but still funny. During alpha 2 however I saw some demented shit, had me watching combat chat as it was more interesting. I think it will work itself out naturally overtime. I mean, censorship is way worse than the 1-2 people that might be crossing the line from time to time.

The names with offensive words is a great oversight by the ncwest team, can get the name "dick" or "bigboobs"... very bad ncwest.

You might want to step a bit more carefully there as to avoid insulting people.

Dick is a somewhat common nickname for people named Richard, calling it an offensive word is extremely rude to them; Even the US president Richard Nixon was nicknamed "Tricky Dick".

Edited by ssolitude

Invalid   

Dick is a somewhat common nickname for people named Richard, calling it an offensive word is extremely rude to them; Even the US president Richard Nixon was nicknamed "Tricky Dick".

Exactly and what's so offensive about big boobs? Like, I'm not even trying to be funny. What's so offensive about big boobs? I think we should focus on the real words that would actually trigger people, not big boobs (lol).

Trane   

I know, I know, I referred to the misuse of that word, in the alpha there were people who put names that word meant to be offensive, such as "DickInMyAss" or something like that get to read... I meant at that.

Exactly and what's so offensive about big boobs? Like, I'm not even trying to be funny. What's so offensive about big boobs? I think we should focus on the real words that would actually trigger people, not big boobs (lol).

...xD just trying to talk a little bad sounding words in names, would not be explicit.

Edited by Trane

Kelebias   

Exactly what's been bothering me. This game is beautiful and I'm so looking forward to finally playing it with a good ping and no lag and everything in English and just everything. I'm hyped for official launch, to say the least. This past weekend was disgusting in the chats - people cursing eachother out non-stop, people with non-stop sexual talk and borderline rapiist and pedophile-like discussions, and there were quite a few names that shouldn't have been able to be made. I'm fine with this stuff on occasion, I mean I kinda expect it from an MMO and from people online in general, but constantly? Something needs to be done. It's just spam, it's not even funny or troll-y or anything like that, it's just cringe-y annoying spam. A friend of mine suggested an admin/GM/Mod should be there to monitor the chats - now where this is doable, I understand the difficulty in having an actual person there all the time watching. I also understand we have censors that we can turn on and off, but I also think someone having to see ***** **** ** ***** **** everywhere because people are stupid, doesn't fix the issue. My suggestion to the mods or whoever is taking suggestions is to have an actual person hop on there from time to time to check things out but also have a bot that monitors the chat and if they detect too much language that would be caught by the censor being said too much by one person or in a discussion, they should mute the people for awhile. The game already had spam filters built into it, so having a bot that can implement it on people is pretty do-able I think. I think this would solve the issue because even though there were many people taking part in the sadness this weekend, there were some people who did nothing else but talk in these chats and were a constant issue with it so if they were removed/muted, things would probably settle down on their own like in other MMOs/versions of BNS.

That glowing green text color is so annoying dude consider using something else....

Edited by Kelebias

Kounat   

If people were actually using the word dick like that, it'd be one thing, but you know dam well none of those names he's referring to were used that way.

Kounat   

That glowing green text color is so annoying dude consider using something else....

Edit your browser so you can't see this shade of green, it's #00FF00 (lime), or report me - sorry, I considered the other colors.

I know, I know, I referred to the misuse of that word, in the alpha there were people who put names that word meant to be offensive, such as "DickInMyAss" or something like that get to read... I meant at that.

...xD just trying to talk a little bad sounding words in names, would not be explicit.

Yes but censoring the name Dick would be discriminating against a common nickname, so even if people use it for profanity it isn't right to discriminate against its legitimet use.

If people were actually using the word dick like that, it'd be one thing, but you know dam well none of those names he's referring to were used that way.

As above, it doesn't matter if they use it wrongly, you don't put in censorship that discriminates a common nickname.

edit: further as Invalid pointed out, BigBoobs really isn't much in the category of profanity either. This doesn't mean I am against censoring, just that vigilance should be excercised when choosing what actually gets censored.

Edited by ssolitude

Emmesty   

Dick Tracy, who else is old enough to remember that shit?

Sogonzo   

Yea, I'll be honest I think I've skipped every green text I've seen as it's not nice on the eyes.

Anyways, I could careless about names of characters. The only thing that gets to be too heavy is when you see just straight up hurtful comments towards people undeserving of the remarks. And thats the dilemma, it's a hard thing to regulate. Next thing you know you can't tell the guy who's being a complete *cricket* to everyone to go *cricket* off. So now you're in this environment where you have to become a robot out of fear of being banned. To me, thats worse.

Kounat   

I agree with "boob(s)" not being censored as the word(s) is not censored in public/society/tv etc. Dick is different. That nickname may have been common in an age we're now past, but it's no longer as common and has no place in an MMO. I personally find those names hilarious as well as a lot of people cursing eachother out non-stop and even some of the sexual jokes had me in tears because I was laughing so hard... but when it's a constant thing it's just annoying... and even you know that.

I agree with "boob(s)" not being censored as the word(s) is not censored in public/society/tv etc. Dick is different. That nickname may have been common in an age we're now past, but it's no longer as common and has no place in an MMO. I personally find those names hilarious as well as a lot of people cursing eachother out non-stop and even some of the sexual jokes had me in tears because I was laughing so hard... but when it's a constant thing it's just annoying... and even you know that.

It is still a common nickname for richard, and a normal surname or even first name to this day.

Dick cheney, US vice president like two terms ago.

It remains common in the year 2015 that we are in, and as such should not be discriminated against.

Edited by ssolitude

Taybat   

I do certainly agree that there should be a simple way for player's to report harassment of other players but I disagree to the point where you said we should block certain words, like other MMOs do. Yes, people will insult and use "inappropriate" words (reason why I put it in quotations because it depends if the person hearing the word thinks it's bad or not) against others, doesn't mean we should censor them because a couple people thinks it's inappropriate. Reporting harassment and having punishment for the ones harassing seems more suitable but censoring words because it triggers certain players is pretty, excuse my language, bullshit. Like what I just said for instance. If I said "shit" and it honestly bothers you so much (I'm not talking about you exactly, just using an example), just block me. It's not my fault the me, and many other people are comfortable with these words and you're not. Honestly, the people that ruin the community are the constant harassers, and "cool" memers/trollers that do it on purpose or simply because they're angry. I personally think it's fine to do it with a friend, or with someone who doesn't mind it and knows you're screwing around, but if you're doing it to randoms that don't like that kind of thing, it can be a problem. That's why I think blocking, or reporting is more appropriate than just banning words. As for banning certain words for character names, I think that's an exception. 

After seeing what goes on in the chat, I can say that I really don't care what people say as long as there isn't spam going on. If something bothers me, I block that person and if I can't see what's going on between a conversation with a random player, I'll just whisper. 

If you ignore all that, the community, I personally think, is really positive already. In blue faction chat, there are people constantly helping each other and offering advice to other players. If you stop focusing on the crap that bothers you, you'll see the positive side. 

TL;DR - Report harassment/block annoying people and don't censor words in chat. If it triggers you that much, then block. A lot more people are comfortable with certain words than you think and shouldn't cater to your feelings because it triggers you. Sorry that it bothers you but I'm having a conversation with friends and people that aren't bothered by it. Block me. Punish harassment in chat and spammers that spout useless shit constantly.

I think you misread what I wrote. I mean block words in character creation. Someone told me that someone had names like Plsrapeme or Lolitofapto. Not even Tera allows these kinds of names to be used.

I haven't seen so much bigoted and ignorant chat in any game i played (maybe LoL) that came close to Cerulean faction chat. So many racial slurs, sexual harassing comments, and terms they use that don't belong to them really set a new record. That and spamming idiotic twitch emotes (nothing screams virgin like that and that breast thread) that WILL NEVER WILL work makes me want to switch factions and camp them down. 

Kounat   

I haven't seen so much bigoted and ignorant chat in any game i played (maybe LoL) that came close to Cerulean faction chat. So many racial slurs, sexual harassing comments, and terms they use that don't belong to them really set a new record. That and spamming idiotic twitch emotes (nothing screams virgin like that and that breast thread) that WILL NEVER WILL work makes me want to switch factions and camp them down. 

I agree, it was pitiful, but from what I've been told by my friends in Crimson, it's just as bad, if not worse, there (which I found incredible to believe)

Ran into someone named "HyperN*gger" during my farms of The Narrows, got to the point where he'd speak in ebonics.
Some party members were just like "Really dude? and tried kicking him from the party (Sadly given that it's alpha, it didn't work)
As a person of color, I expected ignorant people in this game... I just didn't think NCWest would allow such names and behavior.
But I guess I shouldn't hope too much for a mature community in a game like this.

Don't get me started on Clan chat for the Cerulean Order... my god.

Edited by Barnivere

Kounat   

Ran into someone named "HyperN*gger" during my farms of The Narrows, got to the point where he'd speak in ebonics.

Some party members were just like "Really dude? and tried kicking him from the party (Sadly given that it's alpha, it didn't work)

As a person of color, I expected ignorant people in this game... I just didn't think NCWest would allow such names and behavior.

But I guess I shouldn't hope too much for a mature community in a game like this.

Don't get me started on Clan chat for the Cerulean Order... my god.

Lmfao... sorry... I'm laughing my ass off imagining that... that's something my homie would do... Chances are the guy that owns that character was of a different ethnicity and being disrespectful/racist though so the comedy fades

Lmfao... sorry... I'm laughing my ass off imagining that... that's something my homie would do... Chances are the guy that owns that character was of a different ethnicity and being disrespectful/racist though so the comedy fades

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.