UnDeAdKiTtY

Costume inventory in Taiwan is free, Why not us?

Anvh   

I am not intending to spend money on outfits. (That doesn't mean I won't, if just means I don't intend to.)  On the other hand, if nothing changes, I can get about 1 outfit every week using hongmoon coins.  (Yes that is correct, you get enough hongmoon coins on average to buy one of the more expensive outfits every week.)  Now I'll be buying and maintaining premium just to store those outfits, plus any other ones I pick up in the game.  I doubt very much I'll be the only one buying outfits using hongmoon coins.  So if the wardrobe was free, I would have no reason to ever spend any money in this game, and NCSoft would lose a heck of a lot of money this way.  As it is now they'll at least be getting my premium payment every month.

However there is a problem, in other versions they are using the outfits to encourage players to play the game and keep playing it. Just look at the special events they have every month they always include outfits you can collects.

How will the NCwest get players to keep playing the game instead of them login in doing the dailies and log off again?

However there is a problem, in other versions they are using the outfits to encourage players to play the game and keep playing it. Just look at the special events they have every month they always include outfits you can collects.

How will the NCwest get players to keep playing the game instead of them login in doing the dailies and log off again?

That is a common enough thing in online games, they keep coming out with some new costume, and other such things they want players to buy. So long as I like them, they aren't unreasonably priced (seen one trying to sell a char locked costume for about $200 US to $300 US, a tad much there), and I have space, I'll get them.

Ikasu   

Ikasu, your posts are waaaaaaaay too long. Condense. TL;DR. 

Ok...  :(

But as long as you don't have an issue with this change;

I hate to bring it up again, but Tera's elite status includes all of this (bonus exp, gold, no auction house fee, etc., without the wardrobe feature), an account-wide mount, a world-wide travel map, and a travel atlas that allows you to save up to 5 locations of wherever you want. If BnS could include a tad bit more in the current premium status and do the following as well;

How about, have the option to unlock it with a one-time purchase in store. But still include it in the subscription.
This means those who don't want subscription can pay the one-time fee. Those who want the subscription can pay the subscription and have the wardrobe as a nice bonus. Those who want to keep the wardrobe after their subscription has ended (because had they not purchased the one-time unlock beforehand it would lock when their subscription ends) and are no longer willing to pay the subscription, can pay the one-time price.

I would hope it resolves quite a bit of the issues here.

You don't have to read anything!

And well, if you do... Uh I'll need a second or two.  :wacko:

Off-topic a little,

Can quest-reward costumes re-obtainable after I delete them? Or they just disappear forever on that character?

Back to the topic,

I think I will spend more cash to buy store outfits as a free player if the wardrobe is free/accessible via non-premium ways, either with Hongmoon Coins or NCoins.

Off-topic a little,

Can quest-reward costumes re-obtainable after I delete them? Or they just disappear forever on that character?

Stone shops in towns typically have them on sale if you lose them.

Ok...  :(

But as long as you don't have an issue with this change;

You don't have to read anything!

And well, if you do... Uh I'll need a second or two.  :wacko:

I played TERA for a while and did subscribe mainly for the atlas (teleport anywhere), the location journal (save 5 spots and tele direct to them) and the auction house changes (increased 10 slots to 50, eliminated broker fees AND sales taxes), but I did not like this model because these extras were rather necessary to make the game truly enjoyable, at least for me. 

Personally, I would rather pay a subscription fee for a pay to play game where every player has the same features and there is no cash shop than pay extra for some bonuses in a F2P game. The extras in a f2p really need to be weighed against the affect on the community. In TERA a lot of the sub features were geared toward making more money in game. I think that's a reasonably fair exchange (RL money for a bit more money in game). But fundamental basics, like fast travel in TERA or the wardrobe in this game, I feel those should be available to all people, F2P players included. 

Ikasu   

I played TERA for a while and did subscribe mainly for the atlas (teleport anywhere), the location journal (save 5 spots and tele direct to them) and the auction house changes (increased 10 slots to 50, eliminated broker fees AND sales taxes), but I did not like this model because these extras were rather necessary to make the game truly enjoyable, at least for me. 

Personally, I would rather pay a subscription fee for a pay to play game where every player has the same features and there is no cash shop than pay extra for some bonuses in a F2P game. The extras in a f2p really need to be weighed against the affect on the community. In TERA a lot of the sub features were geared toward making more money in game. I think that's a reasonably fair exchange (RL money for a bit more money in game). But fundamental basics, like fast travel in TERA or the wardrobe in this game, I feel those should be available to all people, F2P players included. 

Free would be lovely. But I've decided to disregard it now unfortunately, even if I do believe myself it's prime and basic. Sadly, I just don't think it's a very realistic option at this point. I'd be very surprised if they do change it to be free for launch (hats off if they do) but if the company is convinced that the wardrobe will bring them money, they will use it to make money (as we can see with how they decided to make it premium membership based).

Of course, BnS has no reason to add all those things Tera did to the subscription benefits. But if people are absolutely convinced that the premium isn't worth it and they won't get it without the wardrobe, and by some chance that that is the majority opinion, I don't see why NCsoft can't tweak a few things to add more non-P2W value to the membership. Just that additional value shouldn't be this wardrobe feature.

Also, without the atlas/journal, it was doable. Tedious, but doable. But maybe that's because I'm used to some form of town teleport scrolls being the fastest way of travel, above mounts. I also didn't play for long without subscription (needed the extra dungeon runs for VM gear and the teleport thing was... really, really nice zz).

Edited by Ikasu

Mishi   

If they would "lose money" on costume storage being adequate for players who do not have a premium membership, they will lose the money those players would spend on fashion items. 

There are a few options NCSoft could do to alleviate the issue:

1. Add an item to buy which you can store all fashion in. (Some F2P games do this so customers still buy fashion.)

2. Add the option to pay xx Ncoin ONCE which will unlock the storage space for fashion items.

3. Make it so non premium members can also have access to storing all fashion the same as premium players.

Now I'm all about a company making money, so I do not suggest #3, however I also understand not everyone can lock themselves into premium memberships non stop. 

Right now players are left with a few options.

1. Be able to afford premium membership, and all perks.
       -No issue, players will buy costumes, and store them as normal.

-Players can buy less costumes and afford premium membership*

2. Not be able to afford premium membership and all perks. 

-Players could choose to buy less costumes and have less storage issues

-Players can buy less costumes, and possibly afford premium membership*

-Players buy no costumes, and no premium membership

There are many players who play and love collecting fashion items. Now they could choose to do that or buy premium membership status, however that's 1 or the other, while by adding in an item or option, the company could make money from both the player buying a costume and membership. As well as add an option for those unable to buy membership, who can afford a costume and make money off those people as well.

Edited by Mishi

Renn   

Off-topic a little,

Back to the topic,

I think I will spend more cash to buy store outfits as a free player if the wardrobe is free/accessible via non-premium ways, either with Hongmoon Coins or NCoins.

I haven't found a way to repurchase the costume you obtain from unlocking the skill trees so if I dropped that and nobody has mentioned a legitimate way to get those back, I'd be screwed. But that's the only case.

They already made it clear that they are not altering their decision to make the wardrobe premium membership only. So if you do not want to pay a dime for this game, get used to storing your costumes in your wharehouse... it is not big deal.

Naunet   

So if you do not want to pay a dime for this game

Ignoring the fact that people do actually want to spend money on this game but don't want a core feature to be blocked behind a rental in what is supposedly a f2p game. If they want to do that, they may as well get rid of the f2p part entirely and make it sub-based. This is as gross as SE renting out extra retainers - well, perhaps worse, because at least you get two retainers for your normal sub in FFXIV.

People protesting the sub restriction on the wardrobe feature are not protesting because they don't want to spend money on the game. They do in fact want to spend money - on costumes! Many have even expressed a willingness to purchase the wardrobe for a one-time fee. So, please don't try and present this as an argument between people who want to freeload and people who "support" the game.

So just keep the damn costumes in your normal wh... there is plenty of space. The way I see it, the wardrobe is a convenience feature, not by far a core one. Core means something like arenas, dungeons, weapon improvement system etc. Get your facts straight before speaking, or typing, as it were.

This is such a minor issue that it amazes me it made it as a hot topic... has it occured to you that maybe important stuff is being neglected while you bicker among yourselves for a stupid alternative storing option?

Naunet   

The way I see it, the wardrobe is a convenience feature, not by far a core one. Core means something like arenas, dungeons, weapon improvement system etc. Get your facts straight before speaking, or typing, as it were.

This is such a minor issue that it amazes me it made it as a hot topic... has it occured to you that maybe important stuff is being neglected while you bicker among yourselves for a stupid alternative storing option?

This is your opinion, not a fact. Costuming is a huge part of MMOs, and with inventory being restrictive while one of the big focuses in the game revolving around collecting different costumes, the Wardrobe is far from just a little side thing. That is my own opinion.

This is your opinion, not a fact. Costuming is a huge part of MMOs, and with inventory being restrictive while one of the big focuses in the game revolving around collecting different costumes, the Wardrobe is far from just a little side thing. That is my own opinion.

Not an opinion... The fact is that wardrobe it's a convenience space for costumes. Because you do have other space in vault. Even if you find costumes really a significant it doesn't change the FACT that it is a convenience feature created in game.

Side note: the game didn't have such features before and people still managed..

Seriak   

Please I hope there are more of you that want this.

Why would you think the NA / EU wouldn't want this.  I get it its a different region but it make me feel like a second class citizen.

On top of that why wouldn't you make it free, if people can't properly store there bought costumes why would they spend money on them.

I think you are going to get alot less people paying for subs then you think.  Its smart bizness. If you make it easy for players to buy they will buy.

Also alot of the NA / EU players are very well informed about what is happening in the other regions of the game so trying to pull a fast one isn't adviseable.

7 Pages or probable arguing that I don't want to get caught up in so just giving my two cents and leaving

1. they don't think the NA/EU wouldn't want it, infact they think we do want it really bad, hence why it isn't free, not being premium pretty much does make you a second class citizen xD good example.

2. In their opinion, they probably think anyone who spends money on the cash shop would also spend money on premium, One of the games I played that had a VIP system gave you more rewards depending on how much you spend, and whilst the game was HUGELY pay to win, the system wasn't bad, rather then buying VIP itself, if you spent 1 dollar you became VIP 1, VIP 2 was like 20 dollars, VIP 3 was 60, and it ended off at like 1000$ for VIP 10, I wouldnt mind this kind of system rather then getting the VIP AND needing to spend money to keep it. but that's just me.

3. I don't think they will get a lot less people paying for subs then they think, they actually admitted they had MORE people paying for founders packs then they initially expected, which shows a willingness to pay for the game, so they will probably have more subscribers or just as many as they expect.

4. They aren't trying to pull a "fast one" they admitted it was free in other regions but they decided to make it a premium option here, and that was unlikely to change.

Now my input on it is that I'd like it to be free, but they have to make their money somehow and if it wasn't for the costume being premium, After hitting 45 I don't think the premium bonus's would be worth the money and would probably unsub but to keep my wardrobe intact ontop of the other bonus's, I'll probably stay subbed for that convenience option, so they are accomplishing what they hope by making it premium only, with me at-least, since I'm a costume *cricket* and treat them like pokemon (Gotta Catch 'Em All!), But overall the choice doesn't bug me too much. Gotta make money somehow. 

They already have a way to make money. Costumes. They are holding the Wardrobe feature hostage hopping they will catch people like you, willing to pay the ransom to keep the convenience ON TOP of buying the costumes. If the other regions followed the same rule then at least it would be consistent with their own practices.

4. They aren't trying to pull a "fast one" they admitted it was free in other regions but they decided to make it a premium option here, and that was unlikely to change.

This point does NOT, in any way, contradict the idea that they are pulling 'a fast one'. This is them basically saying 'we are impulsed by greed so suck it up already!'

Well, I'm greedy myself so I don't want to spend money on this game. So suck it up.

Doesn't sound so reasonable when the other side is the one using that logic, does it?

Anvh   

Not an opinion... The fact is that wardrobe it's a convenience space for costumes. Because you do have other space in vault. Even if you find costumes really a significant it doesn't change the FACT that it is a convenience feature created in game.

Side note: the game didn't have such features before and people still managed..

With that logic a lot of things inside the game are convenient perks/items however you can not dispute that the outfits are a big appeal for most and therefore a big part off the game.

As for the side note, how much did people not complain about that... Ncsoft korea and the rest of the world decide the best way to improve the game is a FREE wardrobe and suddenly now NCsoft west is deciding it isn't.

I would love to see the reasoning behind this because I can not see it.

Sure they might sell a few more premiums but they will also sell less outfits AND less people will return to do the special events which the other versions have each month... why collect tokens for an outfit if you can not store it?

Daegaur   

I'll add to the conversation by saying the only reason I'm not going to buy over 3 costumes per character is because wardrobe isn't free.

i'll reply this one, cause this will be the prime issue for NCSoft. If the wardrobe isn't free a LOT more people will be doing the same principle. There's no point buying a lot of outfits from hongmoon store if you won't have the space to keep em. As people said there's tab 2 in the vault. Well the game in the end will have 100s of doboks that aren't from hongmoon store and you only got like 80 slots in tab 2 of your vault. So imagine you won't have much other stuff in the bank, you'll be able to keep 120 doboks at most.

Good luck finding space for bought outfits then. And to all the peeps who like to go like ooh quit crying. I've said before i'm not a massive outfit farmer like most players so i don't give a rat's ass about this for my personal reason. i've even got guildies looking mightily surprised because as a premium subscriber (thank you master pack) i am NOT using the wardrobe to dump all my outfits but placing them in vault tab 2 as a way of protest to wardrobe being behind premium and i'm doing just fine because i'm picky on which outfits i care for.

But for NCSoft this thing will in the end be hazardous because people will be less likely to buy doboks now with this limitation. if they end up getting more money from subscribers (who buy it specifically for the wardrobe) than the money lost from members who refuse to buy premium and also don't buy boboks anymore, i'll retract my comment here. So we'll see in half a year because most founders will be premium for the first 1 to 3 months of the release because it was "free" in their bought pack.

Edited by Daegaur

Neoyoshi   

All i can say about this topic, is that all i can really do is support a game company that is doing what they can to ensure a product doesn't get shut down or suffer due to financial criteria's not being met; i mean heck, I'm just a customer, what do i know about the inner-workings of the company I'm supporting?

Whether the Wardrobe feature will be free or not at Launch is behind me, all i know is that this is Beta, and the feedback during this stage is crucial; -how they adhere to said feedback is a different story.

But also remember that feedback shouldn't have to be argumentative; if a person see's something they feel should be altered or changed, then convey that in a clear, concise and civil manner. 

There is no need to allow feedback to become so convoluted.

Edited by Neoyoshi

Sure they might sell a few more premiums but they will also sell less outfits AND less people will return to do the special events which the other versions have each month... why collect tokens for an outfit if you can not store it?

The problem is that nobody can convince NCsoft about the profit they lose. I agree that they will win some new premium members, but also some people would refrain from buying a costume.

Edited by BloodySugar

xarallei   

Please I hope there are more of you that want this.

Why would you think the NA / EU wouldn't want this.  I get it its a different region but it make me feel like a second class citizen.

On top of that why wouldn't you make it free, if people can't properly store there bought costumes why would they spend money on them.

I think you are going to get alot less people paying for subs then you think.  Its smart bizness. If you make it easy for players to buy they will buy.

Also alot of the NA / EU players are very well informed about what is happening in the other regions of the game so trying to pull a fast one isn't adviseable.

This. I find it absolutely outrageous that the wardrobe system isn't free. Want me to buy your outfits? Well, yeah you better give me a wardrobe because I'm not buying them without one. GW2's outfit system is superior. There the outfits are even account wide. 

Edited by xarallei

Lightan   

LOL! can't believe you compared to TW!  well, TW also give you free access to the vault from ANYWHERE at first month lv1 vip too!   ours need like lv 9 VIP lol.

they also give you extra points of 300 per day plus if you play 5 hrs you get another 300 pts per day. you can get up to 600 pts per day. x 30 days of vip, you can get 18000 pts.  that equal = at least 2 free outfits and some other free stuff from their cash shop. (and yes those are PERM outfits that you got and can keep on your account wardrobe) so every 2 month you can collect 2 free outfit out of them vip perks lol.

please don't compare to TW, lol, they got way much better shit than other servers lol.

Einzel79   

An good alternative could be to pay a small price for each new costume added to the wardrobe for free user and keep it free for premium.

It works for everybody and we are all happy :)

Keeping the wardrobe desactivated for free user will occur in less costume sold...

You know, I guess with the wardrobe in premium service I won't be spending much, if any money on outfits.

I'll just be buying all of them with hongmoon coins. Estimated $15~ a month compared to $10-15+ per individual outfit?

My views on this will remain neutral, but at least I know I'll be saving money in the long run.

Always remember that hongmoon coins exist and are a way to get all shop outfits for free anyway.