Sign in to follow this  
Kikiwai

Reason why premium wardrobe can hurt Blade and Soul income

Kikiwai   

If you think about it, who need the wardrobe the most?

The ones who purchase outfits from cash shop.

The chances are those who are using the wardrobe to store outfits are ones who already have purchases too much outfits that they have no place to store it.

By limiting premium only wardrobes, it decreases the wants and potential customers that want to make purchase on outfits, and making these customers think twice about making the purchase knowing storage might be an issue. People wants freedom to be in premium or out of premium any time they want, especially when they already spent money on in game outfits.

The solution is simple, make wardrobe an one time unlock service, where each character need to pay like $20 or $50 to unlock full wardrobe functionality permanently.

One time payment will decrease the hassle and help making clear decision to players instead of the feel of constant commitment.

In this way, NCSoft can earn from wardrobe purchases, they can also earn from outfit purchases and players are generally happier.

PomfPomf   

I want to support the devs, i don't mind spending 15$ monthly to support the devs to keep the servers alive. I thought limiting the wardrobe function to vip players was a good idea, nice thinking NCSOFT.

Mewna   

I think that only premium users who only get the wardrobe is bull crap! i mean what if i didn't want premium but still wanted the outfits??? (as much as i want) an want someplace to store it ? but you !!! deny that from me or otheres? i don't think that's right or fair. as well as the company is gonna lose a lot of money because fashion for most people is whats going to keep this game going( brings in most money+ other cosmetic items) to what i know of from other games i have played. you limit that an your reason is you don't want people to buy stuff in your cashshop? >.< DUMB!  i don't find fashion A PAY TO WIN ITEM AT ALL my fashion is not making my toon stronger or give any kind of benefit to my toons while in combat with others. I got a better idea, instead of making it where u only have to be premium to have a dam closet for your clothes (((((how about you just make ( AN Item in the cash store(Wardrobe Tickets) ) that opens a wardrobe for that toon and that toon only? an if they want more wardrobes for their toons they can just purchase more wardrobe tickets?))))) as a person who loves the blade and soul fashion please do not restrict me or others from this feature in the game please!

Kikiwai   

NCWest only considered paying premium members and free members.

Those middle class players who pays casually and like to have subscriptions at their own leisure are being ignored.

The middle of the two categories are not being considered well.

hektix   

I don't think $15 a month is bad for premium + wardrobe and I'm a middle class player who pays pretty leisurely. That's only one small payment per month that people could literally farm off of some prize website in 2-3 days of doing surveys. If you bought a founders pack and get through the game then you're going to have plenty of room in storage for your costumes. You don't need 50 different outfits. Pitch the ugly ones from the story that you don't like. You don't really need those.

I have 4 capped characters on JP server and between all of them I keep 2 from the story on each +1 or 2 that I bought that look good on each character. That's around 16 spaces in total across 4 characters that I would need to fill in NA without premium; that isn't hardly anything. Having a wardrobe is a convenience just like remote storage or emergency repair tools. Having many outfits in itself is a convenience. If you choose to keep every outfit in the game and buy 15 more from the cash shop then that's on you. Instead, just buy 6 outfits, pay for premium, and everyone's happy again.

Kikiwai   

I don't think $15 a month is bad for premium + wardrobe and I'm a middle class player who pays pretty leisurely. That's only one small payment per month that people could literally farm off of some prize website in 2-3 days of doing surveys. If you bought a founders pack and get through the game then you're going to have plenty of room in storage for your costumes. You don't need 50 different outfits. Pitch the ugly ones from the story that you don't like. You don't really need those.

I have 4 capped characters on JP server and between all of them I keep 2 from the story on each +1 or 2 that I bought that look good on each character. That's around 16 spaces in total across 4 characters that I would need to fill in NA without premium; that isn't hardly anything. Having a wardrobe is a convenience just like remote storage or emergency repair tools. Having many outfits in itself is a convenience. If you choose to keep every outfit in the game and buy 15 more from the cash shop then that's on you. Instead, just buy 6 outfits, pay for premium, and everyone's happy again.

I don't know, you find ugly costumes in this game? I think they are all great.

Either way, your last sentence kind of proved my point:

"If you choose to keep every outfit in the game and buy 15 more from the cash shop then that's on you. Instead, just buy 6 outfits"

You are suggesting me to buy 6 instead of 15. You see what NCSoft is missing out on income?

Kikiwai   

People that want something free found an argument they believe sounds convincing.

Not sure if I can agree with you, at least I haven't experience that.

Why did you make such statement in this thread?

hektix   

I was just using that as an insanely exaggerated example xD I estimate costumes in the store are going to cost you about $15 worth of ncoin each and that premium/month will probably be that as well.

People most likely won't buy many costumes on their account like that as it is, and if they do choose to spend a buttload of money on outfits then you would hope they would have the sense in spending the extra money for premium. Most people will buy the outfits they want one way or another, while nc adding wardrobe to the premium list is proof that they know this and feel they may be able to get a bit more out of it if they're right, which I think they are.

But, you'll be surprised at how many things change as the games go along. If what nc is doing with the wardrobe actually proves ineffective after launch, then chances are that they'll change it. Same goes for just about every other aspect of the paid items in game; if business proves itself declining after launch then you'll be seeing changes, but that's wayyyyyyyyyyy ahead of where we're actually at. It's just alpha, very many things are bound to change by launch, and though it may not be the wardrobe changing you may see tons of other great things that'll be worth dealing with it.

Kikiwai   

I was just using that as an insanely exaggerated example xD I estimate costumes in the store are going to cost you about $15 worth of ncoin each and that premium/month will probably be that as well.

People most likely won't buy many costumes on their account like that as it is, and if they do choose to spend a buttload of money on outfits then you would hope they would have the sense in spending the extra money for premium. Most people will buy the outfits they want one way or another, while nc adding wardrobe to the premium list is proof that they know this and feel they may be able to get a bit more out of it if they're right, which I think they are.

But, you'll be surprised at how many things change as the games go along. If what nc is doing with the wardrobe actually proves ineffective after launch, then chances are that they'll change it. Same goes for just about every other aspect of the paid items in game; if business proves itself declining after launch then you'll be seeing changes, but that's wayyyyyyyyyyy ahead of where we're actually at. It's just alpha, very many things are bound to change by launch, and though it may not be the wardrobe changing you may see tons of other great things that'll be worth dealing with it.

The example of buy 6 instead of 15? It sounds very reasonable though, and I am sure many will do it as well.

To me, a premium sounds like a commitment. If I paid for the premium, I will be a fool not to be playing the game. However, the game target audiences are adults, and most likely adults who has jobs. With that said, jobs has their "most busy" times, and will often lead to overtime working and decrease of free time. The abilities to withdraw from gaming at any point to do real work is something that this specific target audience needs.

If I decided that this month I am going to have more free time and use my holidays, I am going to purchase premium. If not then even when I am busy, I will still squeeze some time to get on and enjoy some game play, enjoy buying new outfits.

You may be right that they might change it in the future if they see failure in this approach, and it's smart of them to observe with out giving us wardrobe instead of taking features away later. I have 90 day premium from Master Pack anyways, let's see how that goes.

By the way, you mentioned about having capped level characters on JP server. Do you think they are pay to win over there? Cause they have wardrobe for free, just want to know if they are pay to win over there to make wardrobe free.

Draczeq   

As a premium member i would not even mind removing Wardrobe from premium benefits and making it available for everyone.

Sasami   

NCWest only considered paying premium members and free members.

Those middle class players who pays casually and like to have subscriptions at their own leisure are being ignored.

The middle of the two categories are not being considered well.

Yes exactly, because the middle of those two groups is very small and it's better for NC Soft to add an incentive for the middle group to stay on a sub as long as they play.

hektix   

The example of buy 6 instead of 15? It sounds very reasonable though, and I am sure many will do it as well.To me, a premium sounds like a commitment. If I paid for the premium, I will be a fool not to be playing the game. However, the game target audiences are adults, and most likely adults who has jobs. With that said, jobs has their "most busy" times, and will often lead to overtime working and decrease of free time. The abilities to withdraw from gaming at any point to do real work is something that this specific target audience needs.If I decided that this month I am going to have more free time and use my holidays, I am going to purchase premium. If not then even when I am busy, I will still squeeze some time to get on and enjoy some game play, enjoy buying new outfits.You may be right that they might change it in the future if they see failure in this approach, and it's smart of them to observe with out giving us wardrobe instead of taking features away later. I have 90 day premium from Master Pack anyways, let's see how that goes.By the way, you mentioned about having capped level characters on JP server. Do you think they are pay to win over there? Cause they have wardrobe for free, just want to know if they are pay to win over there to make wardrobe free.

No not at all, JP server is very far from p2w standards, they just have accessories/outfits/helpful items/lucky boxes and premium subscriptions for sale in the kaimono, and most of that can be farmed with just a little effort in the game. But I've also noticed that the server isn't very active like it used to be and they have been changing cash items around a lot to fit the situation where it stands. They have a dragon point system which is much like the hongmoon point system except in JP there is a different shop with different kinds of items in it for those points, and instead here you can buy store items with the hongmoon coins you collect in game which is pretty cool too. Anywho wardrobe isn't a premium thing there but the NA premium membership is better than that of JP, even if wardrobe weren't to be included in premium.

I understand where you're coming from now mentioning working and the feeling of commitment to playing when buying premium. I didn't really take that into consideration when I thought about players purchasing premium. I don't have a problem with buying premium every month because as a lowly beneficiary I'm going to be able to commit a lot of time to BnS. If I had a job somewhere it might be like you said.

I want to support the devs, i don't mind spending 15$ monthly to support the devs to keep the servers alive. I thought limiting the wardrobe function to vip players was a good idea, nice thinking NCSOFT.

This^.

I don't plan on paying premium. But i would pay a one time fee to increase the wardrobe permanently, as long as it's not a ludicrous amount.

Shorsh   

I second this. 

It's a good idea and the reason they stated for keeping it for premium was a good one.

If you like this game 15$ a month really is nothing...

Agreed. This is a quality of life benefit. I think it fits as a premium feature.

Takara   

Agreed. This is a quality of life benefit. I think it fits as a premium feature.

Exactly, it's purely quality of life, it's a non-essential. freeloaders need to stop begging for more free things.

Kikiwai   

@hektix

Awesome, glad to hear JP is doing fine without P2W while have wardrobe, and thanks for your understanding.

@PomfPomf, Erza Scarlet, Shorsh, BrowncoatBlue

No one is stopping you guys, go ahead and support the devs, it's a great idea.

Just to make sure though, you think players without premium but buying outfits from cash shop is not supporting the dev?

There are people with lots of times to play games, yeah I agree, but average people are still being ignored.

NCWest can also do both premium and one time purchase where premium members doesn't need to pay for that one time purchase.

@Sasami

According to the polls in both reddit and dojo, I can safely say that middle class is actually the majority of players.

@Takara

Don't you worry, no one here is begging for free things.

Edited by Kikiwai

Boom   

I'd gladly pay $20 for it even If i'd never use it.. Just that kind of person. lol

one of the things I get from this is you think it should be free to everyone which WOULD be fine BUT then you take away one more incentive to bother WITH a premium account and honestly there aren't that many incentives atm .

if they add more incentives for premium there will be calls for unlocks for a "reasonable amount" for them as well and it slowly degrades the purpose behind have a tiered system at all and lowers the revenue..

IT is definitely catch 22 regardeless of what they do and there will be groups of players who will cry out about it no matter what .. the government is full of special interest groups that are small minorities and YET get their wants seen too just because THEY ARE very LOUD about it..

I am not necessarily disagreeing with the idea of everyone getting the wardrobe but nor do i completely agree with it either as at this time premium players get very little incentives to pay that monthly

Joel   

This ^, wardrobes are a convenience and fit nicely into a premium members benefit.

Yamyatos   

I kinda disagree that the players who need it most are the ones who buy cashshop costumes. There are (most likely.. we dont know how many NCSoft is planning to put in there) A LOT less costumes in the store than you can get through the game. Considering that there are hundred(s) of costumes to get in the game and a player will only buy a few from the shop if he wants to "equip" their characters - the ones who will need the wardrobe the most are the people who play the most / farm costumes the most, independant of whether they are premium or not.

That said, i totally disagree that the wardrobe should be premium only. I will be premium, but i kinda dislike the idea of something this important being premium only. I dislike advantages like these, it kinda annoys me since sooner or later a time will come where i dont have much time and play without sub... and i personally just wouldnt like the idea. There are several problems, including but not limited to some of the following.

(This is also a question: ) If you are premium and stop being premium, with let's say 10 costumes in your wardrobe, what would happen? Will the costumes be lost (would suck, doubt this), send to your mail, or what will happen? If they are send to your mail... what if you are just offline for too long. Will they get deleted? What if you cant even store them since all your bank and inventory is used up, do you have to delete items in order to store costumes? Again, considering the amount of costumes this might get pretty bad. I honestly think it's an incredicle bad design decision to deny a whole system to non-premium players (the other game versions also dont do this).

Edited by Yamyatos

Kikiwai   

@Kensho1996

Well hold on a second, I never said I want anything for free. I said I will pay for it, one time.

I never was asking for anything free, that would be too greedy.

What they can do is of course make the one time payment of wardrobe unlock really expensive like $60 while still place the wardrobe unlock in the premium, which then the incentive is still there for those who don't want to bother with the one time payment fee and want to support the dev by premium.

@Joel

It is true that wardrobes are a convenience, that is definitely agreeable, which is why I am not asking for it to be free. Cash shop is filled with convenience items, and wardrobe should be one of the item that is on sale in the cash shop and not only just in premium package.

@Yamyatos

The wardrobe entries are like... 400+ outfits...

Those outfit obtained in game can be obtained again, so players can just toss them away when they are done with the outfit, as hektix suggested. Those bought with cash are the outfits that players really don't want to toss away. The lack of wardrobe also would make cash shop purchase more difficult in deciding what outfit to give up and what to buy, and eventually decrease the total amount of outfit bought because of it.

To answer your question, you can't store in to wardrobe if you are not premium member, but you can still take outfits out, so they won't be lost forever, it's in the wardrobe and still retrievable.

Edited by Kikiwai

Sign in to follow this