Nico

Technical Alpha 1 Recap

Nico   

Greetings everyone,

With the end of Technical Alpha 1, I wanted to a take moment and address some of the feedback that we have seen, and present the plan for our next Technical Alpha which will start on Friday, October 16th at 10am PDT.

First of all, it was such a special moment for me and the team to see all of you playing and enjoying the game. It was the first time that we could experience the western version of Blade & Soul together and that was extremely satisfying for us to see. Thank you for supporting us and being awesome. I personally had a blast playing this weekend and I know the whole team also did. In fact, the Korean development team was also playing with you this weekend. J

We are excited for Technical Alpha 2. The first one went very well and for this reason we decided to invite everyone who has purchased a Founder’s Pack before 5pm PDT on October 14th. Our goal for the next Alpha is to test the limits of our infrastructure. For this reason, you may not experience optimal play conditions, and you will most likely experience some or all of the following:

·         Server Reboots

·         Login Queues

·         Lag and rubber-banding

·         Server Instability

Please keep that in mind when playing Blade & Soul this weekend. We will do our best to keep things going as smoothly as possible, but we also need to test the limits of our technology!

Beyond the second Alpha, we are looking at the first Closed Beta Test coming on October 30th. Our plan is to address as much of your feedback from the Alpha as possible before the first Closed Beta Test.

Finally I wanted to address some of the feedback that we have received during the first Technical Alpha:

·         Wardrobe limited to Premium Members

Ø This one was a hard decision and I understand the frustration. It’s a very cool feature and it’s free in other regions but it’s not a necessity; it’s a convenience. As we have said, we are not going the pay-to-win route with our business model, so we need to look at other ways to make money. It is unlikely that it will change, but we’re constantly reading all of your feedback.

·         Attack power increase in Premium Membership benefits window

Ø As many of you pointed out, this one was a localization issue that will be addressed and the actual effect is an XP buff. You can see the entire list of Premium Membership benefits here: http://www.bladeandsoul.com/en/news/premium-membership/

·         Evolution and Crafting materials in the Hongmoon Store

Ø The Hongmoon Store has been setup to help you progress quicker during Closed Beta Testing. The prices and the contents within the store will change during testing and for the launch.

·         Early level difficulty

Ø Many of you found the early levels (Viridian Coast in particular) too easy. I have read comments about us reducing monsters’ difficulty and I want to make it clear that we haven’t done that at all. There are a few reasons why it might seem that way:

§ We over-rewarded players: Between the generous survey rewards and the Daily Dash, it was very easy to max out your equipment very early. The Daily Dash wasn’t supposed to reward every item on the way, but only the ones you land on. This will be corrected for the next Alpha test.

§ The game was designed to be easy in the early levels so that you can get familiar with the combat system and practice your combos. So, if you tip the balance just a little more in favor of the players like we did, you can just breeze through everything very quickly.

§ You are likely already familiar with the game and know how to optimize your progression. This in conjunction with the previous two points could create a perception of change in game mechanics, but that isn’t the case.

·         NCoin, Founder’s Packs, European servers

Ø NCoin spent during the Blade & Soul Alpha or Beta is not real NCoin, but “test” NCoin. It will not affect your real NCoin balance.

Ø All NCoin purchased on NCSOFT.com until the last Closed Beta Testing Weekend will be matched with test NCoin in Blade & Soul.

Ø Founder’s Pack items can be claimed in the Alpha or Beta if you have applied your Disciple or Master’s Pack serial code. You will be able to claim them again at launch.

Ø We are currently working on a solution to do a one-time character copy from NA to EU servers when they open. We are optimistic that this will work, but cannot guarantee it yet. More info to come soon.

Again thank you all for helping us make your Blade & Soul experience the best possible. See you in the next Alpha!

Shiro   

Aww the daily dash was awesome, now you will need a lot of luck to get any good rewards out of it. Maybe I'm clueless but how do you get hongmoon coins in other ways than from daily dash, for example?

Jem   

§ We over-rewarded players: Between the generous survey rewards and the Daily Dash, it was very easy to max out your equipment very early. The Daily Dash wasn’t supposed to reward every item on the way, but only the ones you land on. This will be corrected for the next Alpha test.

Ehh... Not liking that change on the Daily Dash. Now if you have to be really lucky to even get the gems that was on it. Sucks for all the new people coming into Alpha 2.

At least I can get some test NCoin back since I bought some and I can buy a costume for my alts. :D

Edited by Xandra

Necuja   

Hey Nico did they enjoy the feedback on gamepad funcionality? Only real issue I had was cursor moving to left of screen every time you tried moving with pad... and it'd help having guide with pictures for other players to be able to enable it I saw a few posts of people that didn't know there was a box to click on first setting page

bug   

Greetings Nico.

I was wondering if you were going to take any suggestions from the general forums and let us know if you are willing to implement them or why not. There are a few "popular" posts with no staff replies that have various concerns and requests, and you've only answered to the wardrobe issue with a "no, we want money".

Thank you.

jkr1293   

Greetings Nico.

I was wondering if you were going to take any suggestions from the general forums and let us know if you are willing to implement them or why not. There are a few "popular" posts with no staff replies that have various concerns and requests, and you've only answered to the wardrobe issue with a "no, we want money".

Thank you.

Agree. If you could update us on more than that such as this whole costume issue it would be appreciated. There are multiple threads stating how you can still make your money off of the costumes and allow us to have the costume on more than one character. If it comes down to spend 20 dollars and if you want to delete the character you lose the costume I will sadly be returning my hype and founders and using that money on bdo. The community is who pays you're bills. Don't forget that

Shy0   

Ø We are currently working on a solution to do a one-time character copy from NA to EU servers when they open. We are optimistic that this will work, but cannot guarantee it yet. More info to come soon.

awesome possum!

Wavy   

If the wardrobe is for the sake of money (understandably), why not make it a one time purchase like many have suggested?

Kikiwai   

Wardrobe for premium only will hurt the game's income

If you think about it, who need the wardrobe the most?

The ones who purchase outfits from cash shop.

The chances are those who are using the wardrobe to store outfits are ones who already have purchases too much outfits that they have no place to store it.

By limiting premium only wardrobes, it decreases the wants and potential customers that want to make purchase on outfits, and making these customers think twice about making the purchase knowing storage might be an issue. People wants freedom to be in premium or out of premium any time they want, especially when they already spent money on in game outfits.

The solution is simple, make wardrobe an one time unlock service, where each character need to pay like $20 or $50 to unlock full wardrobe functionality permanently.

One time payment will decrease the hassle and help making clear decision to players instead of the feel of constant commitment.

In this way, NCSoft can earn from wardrobe purchases, they can also earn from outfit purchases and players are generally happier.

dskilly   

Well overall nice recap and thanks for the heads up on the coming alpha, sad that the daily dash won't be the same but well got to try it first to know how it will become.

Also the complains about the wardrobe, I get what people are saying and that their suggestions are logical but in the case of NCSoft I think keeping it for premium only is the right choice since they did mention premium users would get comfort over free users and that also get's people one more reason to go premium leading to a more stable income to cover the upcoming costs for the company. Although I do wonder what happens to the costumes stored in the wardrobe if the subscription ends? They get sent to your account mail, character mail, inventory or bank? If it's inventory, what happens if it's full?

Sorry I made this reply a question too but was curious XD

Thanks for the hardwork Nico and looking forward to playing with you guys in Alpha 2

~dskilly

Kikiwai   

Also the complains about the wardrobe, I get what people are saying and that their suggestions are logical but in the case of NCSoft I think keeping it for premium only is the right choice since they did mention premium users would get comfort over free users and that also get's people one more reason to go premium leading to a more stable income to cover the upcoming costs for the company.

Of course, most company would like to have stable income from their product, Korean version is pay to play after all, the most stable way of earning money from a game. However, the problem is that NCWest made a clear distinguish of paid premium customer and free players. What about the middle class players who pays casually and like to have subscriptions at their own leisure? The middle of the two categories are not being considered well.

Although I do wonder what happens to the costumes stored in the wardrobe if the subscription ends? They get sent to your account mail, character mail, inventory or bank? If it's inventory, what happens if it's full?

According to the news page, "Non-Premium members can still withdraw and preview items."

Which implies the outfits will still be in there, and you can take it out, just can't store it back in.

Invalid   

Ehh... Not liking that change on the Daily Dash. Now if you have to be really lucky to even get the gems that was on it. Sucks for all the new people coming into Alpha 2.

At least I can get some test NCoin back since I bought some and I can buy a costume for my alts. :D

Yeah but it's for the better. It's better to get lucky trying to earn an item rather than to be spoonfed the items.

hektix   

If the wardrobe is for the sake of money (understandably), why not make it a one time purchase like many have suggested?

This won't work out as a very great money maker because if the wardrobe is a one time purchase then people will have one less reason to pay for premium every 1-3 months. Instead, if people could just buy the wardrobe function that would also mean a one time decent profit for nc after most of the players who wanted it bought it. What they really need is a steady monthly profit, especially in the beginning, to keep BnS up and running for all of us. It makes perfect sense why they are emphasizing premium so much before launch

Kikiwai   

This won't work out as a very great money maker because if the wardrobe is a one time purchase then people will have one less reason to pay for premium every 1-3 months. Instead, if people could just buy the wardrobe function that would also mean a one time decent profit for nc after most of the players who wanted it bought it. What they really need is a steady monthly profit, especially in the beginning, to keep BnS up and running for all of us. It makes perfect sense why they are emphasizing premium so much before launch

What if the one time purchase price is high enough, like $60.

If the premium price is $15 (an estimate from the dojo) then $60 is equivalent of 4 month of subscription, per character. Now let's say you have 7 characters. That is 28 months of subscription fee paid. That is 2 and 1/3 years worth of subscription fee. This way, NCSoft not only gain money from premium players, they also gain profit from middle class casual players.

All i can really say about blade and soul is that Out of all the MMO's i played ( i played a lot more then 10 years) it has a great story. Very very involving not only that but this combat system is amazing as well loving all the way you can customize your Character. but i would love if we had a dye System for are Wardrobe like able to dye gloves and shoes and even more it will bring a lot of diverse players, but soul shield is a great idea for a gear system. BnS I'm sure the idea's will be a nice addition. 

AMAZING TIME THANKS FOR LETTING ME IN THE ALPHA.( even tho i got the Founders pack  :P )

Tahmoh   

Dont mind the premium side of the wardrobe but maybe make it account bound so players dont have to rebuy outfits all the time, pretty sure folks would gladly pay a little extra for this option or heck make it unlockable via a premium tier so folks have reason to rank up that side beyond the ones currently known about.

dskilly   

Of course, most company would like to have stable income from their product, Korean version is pay to play after all, the most stable way of earning money from a game. However, the problem is that NCWest made a clear distinguish of paid premium customer and free players. What about the middle class players who pays casually and like to have subscriptions at their own leisure? The middle of the two categories are not being considered well.

According to the news page, "Non-Premium members can still withdraw and preview items."

Which implies the outfits will still be in there, and you can take it out, just can't store it back in.

I know what you mean, seen another post on the General Discussion, but for that I will leave it to the BnS team to see what they will do about that, hope they come with a good plan and compromise with both type of gamers.

Nico   

Aww the daily dash was awesome, now you will need a lot of luck to get any good rewards out of it. Maybe I'm clueless but how do you get hongmoon coins in other ways than from daily dash, for example?

You will start earning Venture Tokens at higher level from daily quests and dungeons. Venture Tokens can be combined with Dragonstones to create Hongmoon Coins.

Hey Nico did they enjoy the feedback on gamepad funcionality? Only real issue I had was cursor moving to left of screen every time you tried moving with pad... and it'd help having guide with pictures for other players to be able to enable it I saw a few posts of people that didn't know there was a box to click on first setting page

Absolutely! They are very dedicated to make the gamepad work as best as possible. Thank you and please continue to give your feedback during CBT!

Greetings Nico.

Thank you.

Agree. If you could update us on more than that such as this whole costume issue it would be appreciated. There are multiple threads stating how you can still make your money off of the costumes and allow us to have the costume on more than one character. If it comes down to spend 20 dollars and if you want to delete the character you lose the costume I will sadly be returning my hype and founders and using that money on bdo. The community is who pays you're bills. Don't forget that

My reality is that I just don't have time. You won't see me posting often, but I read everything. Actually most of the team does, so we always discuss your feedback or ideas every day. You also have to understand that we can't rush things, we have to carefully evaluate each decision and all the dependencies it can have. We haven't even started the Closed Beta period, so there is plenty of time to receive more feedback. We will try to update you as often as possible.

Wardrobe talk

I have read the now 26-page thread on the dojo and others as well, and will continue to do so. I said it's unlikely, not impossible. So please continue to give your feedback :)

Edited by Nico

Kikiwai   

Wardrobe talk

I have read the now 26-page thread on the dojo and others as well, and will continue to do so. I said it's unlikely, not impossible. So please continue to give your feedback :)
I am just wondering, if it is possible to tell us a little bit on what is the difficulties in making wardrobe a one time payment unlock service? Knowing what the difficulties are will help us understand more about the trouble that is preventing NCSoft from making this decision, and will be more understanding on why or how things work.

The fact that majority of the player on either reddit or dojo has clearly stated they want wardrobe in cash shop and not in premium should already be enough hint about what people wants, but there must be a certain difficulties that is preventing this from happening. A simple "we can't survive financially" or "technical limitations" is a simple answer that can put many of us in peace.

Thank you for your time.

Sukina   

Thank you for the hard work and allowing us to be part of the alpha testing phases. I wish to add that my overall experience with the game has been really good. I connect from the far south of New Zealand with a steady 150ms and it was a very smooth play. I do, however understand that the next phase may not be as smooth, As you wish to test the limits if your infrastructure. We're ready :)

Together lets help make Blade and Soul West the best version yet

Regards

Sukina K

Sasami   

I have no problem with the wardrobe being an premium only feature. It's a great incentive for people to get a premium sub.

People should realize, that the publisher rather would have us subscribing for a steady income, than playing the gambling game like other games (I'm looking at you EU Tera with your 100+ Euro premium mount boxes...).

Let's be realistic: Most people who buy many costumes are also going to buy premium for the added convenient in-game. F2P player will only run through the theme park, maybe buy 2-3 costumes and will be gone after 2-3 months, since that's the way F2P player are. There will be some percentage of those F2P player who will go the premium route, but that percentage will be low. Experience from other F2P games show us that.

The real question is: How big is the amount of player who will not go premium but will buy a lot of costumes. Judging from other games and those percentage will be very, very low. The peer pressure in guilds/clans to go premium will be very strong. The added convenience and added bonuses are just too great to ignore them in the endgame for a better group experience.

So in the end: Right now we have a rather vocal minority of the player base who want to get their beloved feature they had "for free" in another BnS version also in this BnS "for free", or by comparison less expensive then the felt price of a subscription.

But as long as a high premium sub rate will hold the RNG boxes and P2W out of the game, special premium membership benefits will be beneficial for us all.

And don't even come with the argument "but not having a wardrobe will lead to less costume sales", because this is not true at all and can't be backed with any hard evidence at all. People buy costumes in games with limited storage in other games too. People have bought costumes in the other BnS versions before the introduction of the wardrobe feature too.

99% of the F2P player will not miss the wardrobe feature at all. It won't lead to better costume sales by including it in the F2P status. It's best kept in the Premium status to increase the sub rate.

hektix   

I have no problem with the wardrobe being an premium only feature. It's a great incentive for people to get a premium sub.

People should realize, that the publisher rather would have us subscribing for a steady income, than playing the gambling game like other games (I'm looking at you EU Tera with your 100+ Euro premium mount boxes...).

Let's be realistic: Most people who buy many costumes are also going to buy premium for the added convenient in-game. F2P player will only run through the theme park, maybe buy 2-3 costumes and will be gone after 2-3 months, since that's the way F2P player are. There will be some percentage of those F2P player who will go the premium route, but that percentage will be low. Experience from other F2P games show us that.

The real question is: How big is the amount of player who will not go premium but will buy a lot of costumes. Judging from other games and those percentage will be very, very low. The peer pressure in guilds/clans to go premium will be very strong. The added convenience and added bonuses are just too great to ignore them in the endgame for a better group experience.

So in the end: Right now we have a rather vocal minority of the player base who want to get their beloved feature they had "for free" in another BnS version also in this BnS "for free", or by comparison less expensive then the felt price of a subscription.

But as long as a high premium sub rate will hold the RNG boxes and P2W out of the game, special premium membership benefits will be beneficial for us all.

And don't even come with the argument "but not having a wardrobe will lead to less costume sales", because this is not true at all and can't be backed with any hard evidence at all. People buy costumes in games with limited storage in other games too. People have bought costumes in the other BnS versions before the introduction of the wardrobe feature too.

99% of the F2P player will not miss the wardrobe feature at all. It won't lead to better costume sales by including it in the F2P status. It's best kept in the Premium status to increase the sub rate.

So true, said what I couldn't think the words to