Sign in to follow this  
Anjon

How does everyone feel about the tiered Premium Membership?

Anjon   

Didn't see a thread about this yet, so I figured I'd open a discussion about this feature and other aspects of the Premium memberships.

First I'll get this out the way: the game isn't officially out, all pricing on premium items, the ranking system, and various other details are WIP. I'm just trying to help collect thoughts on how the systems are currently working.

I don't like the idea of things being gated by arbitrary restrictions even thought I'm paying money for them. Things like having a tiered  10-rank system to unlock the full benefits of the premium membership sounds underhanded and shady. When I started the Alpha, I was already Rank 4. I'm assuming this is due to my Master Pack purchase giving me 90 days of Premium, thus giving me that much NCoin value worth of Rank.

Afterwards, I spent about 4,200 coins of the 7,200 granted to me. That (a roughly $55 value) only put my at Rank 5~6. I was ablet to buy most of the outfits available to my character, but that doesn't look like it'll be enough to max out this Premium rank.

Also, it would help a great deal if the team took more time to explain what they're going for and how the points actually relate to these systems, because right now the ranking system reads like some kind of scam. At the moment, the Premium Membership doesn't have a lot of "Premium" going for it besides some pretty mild XP bonuses and a gold bonus that doesn't feel significantly quantifiable in an Alpha/Beta environment. Most of the stuff that made me feel like I was a paying customer in an MMO were items I bought with the test coins, but that was stuff I got because of my Founder Pack, not premium bonuses.

Maybe consider making the Premium rank go with you if your subscription ends. That feels like a much more acceptible use of this system. The rank isn't actually related to your membership at all. It doesn't just build up as you level, you have to spend money ontop of your membership (or farm the Hongmoon coins) to level it up. Why gate that behind a paywall?

In regards to some features that have been changed/readjusted for NA use, the Daily Dash seems to have a strange 60 minute restriction placed on each spin, which seems counterintuitive to how a f2p game is supposed to run. We already have an alloted amount of spins, so it doesn't make since that those spins are also limited by a timer. Basically, a free player has to stay on for a minimum of 3 hours a day to get the most of their spins. Some can probably do that, others maybe not. For players who pay for Premium, they get an extra two spins.

That's cool and all, but the 60 minute restriction is still there. Now I have to spend a minimum of 5 hours a day playing if I want to get all of the spins, including ones I'm paying to have. This feature becomes less convenient by throwing money at it, or rather it benefits players who have more time to spend on the game every day... But the idea of a Premium perk in a f2p game is to do the opposite, right? If I have to spend just as much or more time to get rewards as someone playing for free, that seems to defeat the purpose.

Last thing I'll mention is the Founder Pack rewards. As other threads have mentioned, the outfits in the Masters Pack aren't available at an account level, which seems strange for something players spend $125 to access. I'm sure this will be addressed in the full release, just... you know, putting it out there just in case.

Invalid   

I agree with every point you have made. The premium membership doesn't really have any benefits the scream "Premium" to the player; they're okay, not great. Not to mention, to level it up you basically have to spend more money or craft and use hongmoon coins. As of right now the only way I see to get Hongmoon coins is from reward chests that you get from daily quests, which I assume have a reasonably low rate of showing up from a chest, and the Daily Dash. I'm not saying you should make it to where NCSoft can't make any money off of the game but at least make premium membership worth spending time, or even money into it.

As of now, the only premium benefits that seem worthwhile are the extra gold from enemies, extra marketplace slots, extra gather and crafting experience, Hongmoon store discount, remote storage (which you don't get until rank 9), and MAYBE the exclusive tab in Dragon Express (depends on what makes it so exclusive and great).

As for the Daily Dash, the time restrictions on spinning seem really useless to me. Why is there a time limit? I think most users, like myself, find some times where they cannot log onto a game and miss out on spins on potential items they could get all because of a three hour time restriction. So, let's say if someone has to go to work, school, a family emergency, etc., that user cannot log on and get those spins. It may not seem like a big deal but if someone works full time, doesn't haven't much time to play the game, and only uses about five spins over the month because that user was busy with important matters, they lose out. Now, if you're premium, it only makes it worse because now you have five daily spins but that makes it practically useless if you can only be online for three hours a day. So out of your five spins, you use only three which make the other two "Premium" spins vanish as if they were never there. I really see no difference making your Daily Dash uses all available at once; in the end, you still get your rewards, just earlier.

Maybe consider making the Premium rank go with you if your subscription ends. That feels like a much more acceptible use of this system. The rank isn't actually related to your membership at all. It doesn't just build up as you level, you have to spend money ontop of your membership (or farm the Hongmoon coins) to level it up. Why gate that behind a paywall?

I'm pretty sure the rank sticks with you when your membership runs out, you just have to get premium again to gain the benefits from the rank.

for the daily spins

I can see the time limits for FTP players simply because IT is the cost to avoid paying .. NOT sure why it freezes out the paying customer as well though as that seems a bit counter intuitive after give you 2 more rolls ..

Edited by Kensho1996

Overpow   

I feel they're trying to play it safe with the premium membership because they don't want BnS to have the same scare at the beginning like Archeage did with pay to win. I imagine they're going to add more to it as the game progresses.

I feel they're trying to play it safe with the premium membership because they don't want BnS to have the same scare at the beginning like Archeage did with pay to win. I imagine they're going to add more to it as the game progresses.

you are right and of course we have to remember we aren't at launch yet so things will be changed as they go along..

just need to spit ball things sometimes too though or they won't realize the feelings some people have ..

I like the game and will play BUT will also go FTP if the benefits of a premium sub isn't worth it even though I prefer to PTP to keep the game in upkeep ($15 a month isn't going to make me stave to death and if it was I think I would be more concerned about my over priced internet connection)

Invalid   

That's completely fine and I'm okay with that, I just hope that they think of premium benefits carefully by the time official is out that makes premium worth getting.

Edited by Invalid

Kitty   

I agree with this topic, it doesn't feel that "premium."

I'm currently rank 9 and it doesn't feel any different than rank 4. It would be nice if at least the premium icon somehow evolves* each rank or evolves at certain rank.
*evolves as in the icon would look cooler and more flashy as the rank goes up. You know, to make it more stand out. 

In term of benefits, as mentioned, it honestly doesn't feel that much of a difference. It could maybe just my play styles at the time of alpha?  eg. You get massive crafting exp boost but i don't craft.

PS. Not complaining, I'm happy that I have rank 9, I'm just stating my feedback.

Draczeq   

My only problem with the leveling is that there aren't interesting items in shop that would make me drop the cash on them and buying crap just to level bonus rank doesn't seem reasonable either.

I need to mention TERA again with their awesome costumes and mounts, where I had no problem outfitting each of my Elins in different costume and different mount.

PS: If you ever put maid costume in scambox (rng box) I will be sad panda!

Jerodar   

Won't the rank increase if you resub for premium as well? So even if you didn't buy anything else as long as you'd stay subbed eventually you'll max the rank.

Force   

i think its okey like it is. And it will increase when you rebuy premium. and not having it at max rank when the game starts should be normal...

Shiro   

I actually think the benefits are too good already, I don't know if you guys played other versions of BnS at end game before this alpha test, but later on if you're an active player, the quest gold increase, gold drop increase, extra Hongmoon coin, lowered Marketplace Fees (this will matter a lot when you start selling end game stuff), 2 extra daily dash spins, and other things will give you way more than something worth $15 in the end, over a month.

So I don't think it needs higher bonuses, maybe just slightly lower requirements to level it up as it is a bit much how much it takes to get to max rank.

I actually think the benefits are too good already, I don't know if you guys played other versions of BnS at end game before this alpha test, but later on if you're an active player, the quest gold increase, gold drop increase, extra Hongmoon coin, lowered Marketplace Fees (this will matter a lot when you start selling end game stuff), 2 extra daily dash spins, and other things will give you way more than something worth $15 in the end, over a month.

So I don't think it needs higher bonuses, maybe just slightly lower requirements to level it up as it is a bit much how much it takes to get to max rank.

Personally I would like to see max rank take more, I feel it should be intended for those spending a lot on the game, not for every person that just wants to keep a premium up.

As for tiers in general, I very much like them.

Shiro   

Personally I would like to see max rank take more, I feel it should be intended for those spending a lot on the game, not for every person that just wants to keep a premium up.

As for tiers in general, I very much like them.

It's usually a bad idea to give many exclusive perks or more value for their money to people who spend a lot, PWE pay2win games proved that with how empty their servers are, of course it was much more ridiculous but still proves my point, something like $15000 for max rank lmao

Casual spenders are tremenduously more in numbers than the big spenders and it actually makes them the majority of the company's income in the end, unless you're handling a small community like PWE games do, in which case it's better to just milk the whales.

Edited by Shiro

bipon   

it found it its founny  i think there would be funny that be gaming arena one per month..

It's usually a bad idea to give many exclusive perks or more value for their money to people who spend a lot, PWE pay2win games proved that with how empty their servers are, of course it was much more ridiculous but still proves my point, something like $15000 for max rank lmao

Casual spenders are tremenduously more in numbers than the big spenders and it actually makes them the majority of the company's income in the end, unless you're handling a small community like PWE games do, in which case it's better to just milk the whales.

None of the benefits from rank 5 premium to rank 10 are remotely necessary, if there were valueable perks only available at higher spendings that should be a definite no I agree.

But for just the added conveniance that current higher tier adds compared to lower tier, I see no reason why everyone who plans on just having a premium active should have the higher ones.

dskilly   

Seeing as most tiers on the premiums are focused on the easy-life more comfort and convenience type of thing I got no complains really since they don't affect the gameplay much but does help advance thing's a bit, just a bit, faster.

Although I do get how the premium subscription is not very attractive for users that just started or ongoing FTP users.

Ju-One   

question about rank..if premium expired, do we still have rank privilage or it gone when premium expired?..

if gone after premium expired, it useless..better permenant because we pay for it..

Assassin   

I feel that I should imediately get rank 10 homgmoon/purchasing level..(whatever its called) for purchasing a MASTER FOUNDERS PACK FOR 120 USD.

120 bucks and i can only get rank 6?

Lol.

Completely cool with it, it's not like any of the perks are necessary for the player to progress. I know I'll be paying for it every month as long as I play this game. Just give me some way to turn off the silly premium member icon that sits on my buff bar and the extra running animation it comes with (it doesn't look that great for most of the classes in my opinion).

I feel that I should imediately get rank 10 homgmoon/purchasing level..(whatever its called) for purchasing a MASTER FOUNDERS PACK FOR 120 USD.

120 bucks and i can only get rank 6?

Lol.

Then what can they offer spenders who want to do 1000$++?

As I mentioned earlier, going from 5th rank to 10th rank doesn't actually matter that much, but for big spenders it gives them that little extra thing to aim for in their spendings, which is why I feel the top ranks of 9-10 at least should cost more to reach.

for the daily spins

I can see the time limits for FTP players simply because IT is the cost to avoid paying .. NOT sure why it freezes out the paying customer as well though as that seems a bit counter intuitive after give you 2 more rolls ..

This is the correct answer. NCSoft should implement this way. For a free player, this is part of the "alternative cost". The game is gorgeous and polished and you're getting it all for free, so you can't complain that a feature that's essentially welfare doesn't give it to you fast enough. Paying customers should be able to just spin without restriction.

In my opinion, everything else about premium membership is just about right. I would probably throw in one extra dragon expansion pouch (or whatever they're called) per month, but that's it. These are quality of life benefits that are not necessary to enjoy the game. They've already officially said that when your membership stops, you keep your rank. Any time you reinstate your membership, the rank you've earned automatically re-applies. The rank system is, by design, a long term loyalty benefit program. You will rank up over time regardless of how you play the game, and people who have been playing for longer periods of time will be able to rank up over time without spending huge amounts of money to do it. Of course, those that want to blow a lot of cash are directly supporting the game. It only makes sense that they are more quickly rewarded with enhanced quality of life benefits, since they'll be paying to keep the servers up and running and NCSoft employees paid. The top 10% of spenders in free to play cash shops typically account for 50% or more of all money spent on a game. Game developers know this, and it's really the only way these free to play models work. It's definitely not a scam. We should be happy that there are people willing to spend a lot of cash in these games, keeping it free for the masses, and not complaining that we have to spend too much to reach top rank, etc.

Edited by BrowncoatBlue

Assassin   

costs too much to rank up.

I think master founders pack should be instant rank 10.

I spent 120 on a video game.

Pretty sure that should be any and all benefits right from the get go..lol

Jem   

The cost to get to rank 10, without ever touching the hongmoon coins, costs about $700 USD, from 0-10. Eh... I dunno if that's going to change but probs not, from the looks of things.

But I know for a fact that there are going to be people who will reach rank 10 the moment official release gets put out.

Sign in to follow this