Sign in to follow this  
Iesdise

(Probably FM only) Terrible Spell Tooltips

Iesdise   

Hey. I'm writing this when the servers are already down, so I'm sorry that I will speak with hotkeys, not with ability names. I did not manage to remember most of them. I don't know if that's for all classes, because I have played only ForceMaster on that TA1, but here is my experience.

When I read the tooltips, especially in the skill tree, I don't understand crap. I assume that they are just "google translated" (using the term only, not literally, of course), but it's awful.

For example:

• RMB (frost ball) does not say, that on 3 stacks the enemy will be frozen.
  • I saw some flying balls around my character, which are buffs applied by some skill upgrade, I did not really follow which one. You can't see their tooltips anywhere if you don't have them on you and actually notice that you have them, hover them and read them fast for the next 3-4 seconds remaining you have.
  • I have no idea what Z does, besides dealing damage. Does it chill? Does it apply a frost stack? Is chilling and applying a frost stack the same? There is no information anywhere.

Yes, I could have spent 1 hour on testing all my abilities and skill trees in order to figure out what's doing what, but aren't tooltips made for this?

Please, if you're going to receive some kind of buff from an ability, put it's icon in the skill tree as a passive with no upgrades, so you can at least see what it will do. Or write what it will do in the tooltip itself like this:

SpellName1

Does 1 damage to the target, applies Debuf1 to them and applies Buff1 on you for 9 seconds.

Buff1
Applies 1 stack of Debuff1 when hit.

Debuff1
Slows the target for 1% and renders them unable to move in ice for 6 seconds when stacked to 3.

As follows, that should be the tooltip for SpellName1.
If you want shorter tooltips you can put Buff1 and Debuff1 in the skill tree, so when we see Buff1, we can be like "Hh, what does that do? Let me search.", find it in our book and see what it actually does.

Thank you for your time to read this, leave your own experiences with tooltips. :)

Edited by Iesdise

tucap   

Tooltips really needed a lot more clarification, it's like they were pumped right through Google translate. On BD and KFM too, a lot of them made little sense and I just had to figure out what they did by myself. Namely on BD, I still had no idea by the end of alpha 1 what Z by itself and during force grip did. And maybe I'm wrong on this, but I don't think there was any clarification on the prerequisite of a move if it was you who had to be stunned/dazed/etc. or whoever you're targetting.

Sign in to follow this