Zama

What about difficulty?

Zama   

I can't really comment much on that since I only got to level 15 (sadly I work from friday to tuesday.. not to mention that I had to spend some quality time on the character creation!!), but I saw that people complained about the general difficulty being too low (at least in the B&S Dojo forum!).

Mobs dying too fast, bosses dying too fast. Not able to really practice combos/skills since there was no real challenge (pve wise clearly ).

On my side I have to agree that up to level 15 it's been indeed too easy, but probably because it was very easy to keep the Hongmoon weapon maxed.

Since low levels do not really mean much, I'm wondering how was it at higher levels? Does it become more challenging?

Imho, if it's too faceroll, unless you have already played B&S in other countries, you are not really going to know your class well enough to play properly on the end game dungeons (which I hope will be difficult!).

Edited by Zama

Venion   

I agree low levels are easy. I didn't get very far (lv. 14 max) since I was trying out all the different classes, but the only time I had any risk is if I did not rank up my weapon (excluding the quest to do so) and pulled large groups.

None of the standard enemies posed any risk/challenge and I could spam my builder to kill everything easily.

Well, I am level 31 atm and the only thing that was remotely "difficult" was solo'ing the heroic 6-man dungeon (the level 20 dungeon).

Where I found the 2nd boss to be particularly challenging. 

And, when I 6-man that dungeon, we walked literally over the bosses like nothing. So, I am definitely not very "pleased" with how much the game is challenging me so far.

Pokey   

The real challenge starts when they release lvl 45 heroic dungeons. They are really not that easy.

Sehvun   

This was actually something I mentioned in their survey. Nothing really feels terribly challenging. Maybe just bosses that may just have a large pool of HP and damage, if your gear or level isn't up to the task. Other than that, I found the challenge rather menial at best. I know they've mentioned that the end-game raids have boss mechanics and gameplay that involves more than just hitting the target, which sounds great! I think that if they can integrate the intuitive gameplay early on during the progression stage, then BnS would be more likely to hold their audience for the long haul. It's nice that the features are there for level 45 heroics, but I think that it is during the progression stage (leveling) that BnS really needs to captivate the player because in all honesty, a lot of players (specially the casual ones) decide whether they want to keep on playing a game during this stage. It doesn't have to be dungeons. Maybe just a different twist on field missions or side quests, outside of the typical gathering and/or kill x amount. I don't think that it's something they can drop in the game any time soon, but I think it should be something that NCSoft keeps in mind to discuss with the devs. 

/Just My $0.02

Edited by Sehvun

unkoneo   

I myself wasn't able to participate in the alpha, however my friend was and I was able to watch them play until around LvL20+. Having played much of the CN, TW and JP versions with them (until LvL46) we immediately noticed the drop in difficulty. I remembered having to watch my health as a Blade Dancer and couldn't afford to be reckless. Though while watching my friend it seemed they only really got dangerously low in health when they forgot to drink a potion.

I really hope they boost the difficulty back to what it was before. Sure it can be a little grindy at later levels but I'd prefer a grindy game over a game that poses no challenge any day.

EDIT: After watching my friend take on the first Purple Dungeon I can't agree with this more. The bosses health dropped in seconds and the party didn't even get to see the mechanics of the dungeon (the boss grabbing a player, charging around the room, etc). They made the game much too easy and I've gotta say I hate it. (The difficulty that is.)

Edited by unkoneo

Boom   

I agree. I noticed a significant drop of difficulty when compared to the Tw version. I was not too pleased with this. I'm not sure it was because of the bonus exp that the patrons received, or that in combination with the difficult literally being scaled down. I don't want it to be an easy, lazy grind to 45. I'd rather it be slow and difficult than fast and boring. The rest of the game was perfect though <3

Nemises   

Hey I've played up to lvl 45 and indeed, it's too easy. The boss fights are not challenging, especially in low lvl areas. The first time I was in the heroic lvl 20 dungeon, was with a group of 4 people (all around 20-22). Yes we know the dungeon, because we played BnS china/taiwan, but we were shocked by the speed we run through this dungeon (and we could have been faster with 2 more people!). The endboss went down under 30 seconds (still the first time we hit the dungeon with "crap gear"!). Same for the lvl 36 heroic dungeon. There the boss wasn't even able to perform his hit-combo which you have to interrupt to survive... I've never seen this combo in any of the runs...

For the open world: Also here monsters are not really challenging, because they are dead by 2-3 hits. I was leveling solo, if i have to imagine how it would be like in a group of 6 people: get the quest, kill for 5 seconds monsters, quest done. So the main time at leveling up you just run from quest to quest, with a short fight between.

Please change something in the dmg output/ monsters hp/ monsters defens, I would gladly lvl up again in the next alpha/beta for more feedback.

This was actually something I mentioned in their survey. Nothing really feels terribly challenging. Maybe just bosses that may just have a large pool of HP and damage, if your gear or level isn't up to the task. Other than that, I found the challenge rather menial at best. I know they've mentioned that the end-game raids have boss mechanics and gameplay that involves more than just hitting the target, which sounds great! I think that if they can integrate the intuitive gameplay early on during the progression stage, then BnS would be more likely to hold their audience for the long haul. It's nice that the features are there for level 45 heroics, but I think that it is during the progression stage (leveling) that BnS really needs to captivate the player because in all honesty, a lot of players (specially the casual ones) decide whether they want to keep on playing a game during this stage. It doesn't have to be dungeons. Maybe just a different twist on field missions or side quests, outside of the typical gathering and/or kill x amount. I don't think that it's something they can drop in the game any time soon, but I think it should be something that NCSoft keeps in mind to discuss with the devs. 

/Just My $0.02

if this is the case I hope the think about it a bit and maybe put a curve to difficulty before launch OR you will have 100 posts from players that get to the difficult dungeons that keep wiping due to NEVER having been forced to actually learn how their skills work.

This is what happens in so many MMOs now and then the programmers have to go back and dumb down the game to make the complaints stop whichmakes the game WAY too easy (EQ1 and WoW after WotLK were like this and I bet many others as well just can't think of them atm)

like wise just my 2c worth

Malvolio   

Go solo the Sentinel Cave and Bokgong Hideout in the lvl 20-30 area and the Final Round in the Dreadtide arena (lvl 40 area). You will have some fun. Some of the world bosses can be quite cheesy the Tidelord Hujikar can be quite a tough solo in hogshead pastures.

i have watched groups wipe on that first dungeon boss till the group had to dispearse, i think some of u MIGHT be confusing ur very good understanding of the game and new players a bit. i have not had to many issues, but i learned to max my wep early on, i was told by another player that our dmg on this server is crazy compared to what he played on *forgot server* so that probably has some effect on it. i have already gotten alot better and went back to solo bosses that donkey punched me earlier and i was easily able to do them... it reminds me of vindictus, bosses ppl know are so easy, then u watch a new player and u stand there like WTF dude dodge or what ever... they just dont know. i feel alot of these topics are based around EXACTLY that. while i again cant say i ahve been super challenged i wont say its a walk in the park either, also i dont know what ppl are talking about on combos, as a KFM i get to go through a few whole combos per battle of scrub mobs. i have all the purple gear and its all maxed to max *going higher would bounce past my levels* given im only 22... but still if there is a modification i would say only slightly harder, ur not trying to penalize new players. also i think the game should do a better job teaching combos to u, hell even if there is some VR trainning thing added or what ever so its in an instance and nothing new is really added. i learned one combo, only to havea  gap and then learn from my brother hajoon *spelling* that i was missing A step to it and made the combo 100% awesome, while before i couldnt figure out how to close the gap during the combo. alot of factors to take in here

Joel   

From my experience the game starts to get more difficult at around cinderlands, viridian forest is smooth sailing no issues with difficulty.

To be honest: even at cinderlands it's too easy (in my opinion)... as long as you keep upgrading your hongmoon weapon as soon as you can, you can even fight some bosses alone... i just visited tomb of exile with my lvl 36 summoner - we were 6 people... noone really got hurt and it didn't even take about 2 minutes to kill the boss... it was no challenge to me.

Edited by Shishinom

Tahmoh   

I found the bosses got tougher steadily as you progressed through the first few zones in line with the newer skills you unlocked so early bosses are fairly easy but require you to remember to dodge and such, later bosses require more thinking and you better remember to dodge and block or some of those attacks can kill you fast!

I didn't get to the dungeon at the end of viridian yet but i'd say the progression of difficulty is about right, though a few quest bosses are a little bit low health in places(mostly the story quest ones i noticed as the actual repeatablle and map bosses were about right).

Zyrelia   

I found veridian forest very easy as a first time player. Being a sin let me cheese through enemies with stealth and only the blackram bosses were any bit difficult, but still cheesable with stealth heartstabs. Currently cruising through cinderlands.

Aari   

Go solo the Sentinel Cave and Bokgong Hideout in the lvl 20-30 area and the Final Round in the Dreadtide arena (lvl 40 area). You will have some fun. Some of the world bosses can be quite cheesy the Tidelord Hujikar can be quite a tough solo in hogshead pastures.

I killed the final boss of Dreadtide Arena within a couple of seconds. He didn't even do a single attack (Because i'm a Sin but I did not even abuse constant stealth, didn't have to)

The game is overall way to easy. They either need greatly reduce dmg or increase the HP of mobs drastically. 

I only just hit the Cinderlands today, so my opinion might not have as much "weight" behind it, but I always saw Viridian Coast as an extended tutorial, so the fact that it's not too difficult is kind of nice. As a first timer (I've never played on any of the foreign servers before), it was a means of adjusting to the game's style of play, controls, and being taught some reliable combos for your given class--I'm using Kung-Fu Master, for the record.

This next coming part is where a bit of my admittedly biased opinion comes in: as a person who tends to solo most MMOs, the more moderate difficult curve is enjoyable. There are times when I feel like the game is a bit too easy, even for me, but I like that it's not mandatory to completely "master" my class or apply for groups constantly just to progress through the game. I'm not against grouping up, mind you--I find it quite enjoyable when I hit it off with my teammates, or have my real world friends join me, but when I play these types of games, I really like to read the quest logs and hear what the NPCs have to say; more often than not, I find that a lot of players are more concerned with the task than the fluff, so cutscenes get skipped, dialogue gets rushed, and my experience feels lessened as a result. That, or I come out of the quest window, finding that I've been left behind, and it looks like I'm not pulling my weight as part of the team, which is equally problematic. Whether that's just my personal misfortune to find myself teamed up in such a manner, or my style of playing is in the minority is up for debate.

All said and done, I understand that my way of playing a game is not everyone's way, so if the game's difficulty does get ramped up, I'll still play. I'll just have to "git gud", so to speak. As for practicing your combo strings though, I think there should be a place where you can practice on immortal dummies, kind of like the early lessons that your Hongmoon brother gives you until you get your combos right. I notice there's a lot of "empty" buildings in B&S, so maybe they can repurpose one of those as a sort of training dojo or something. Just spitballing.

Aden   

I've made it through a bit of Cinderlands and it's still rather easy there as well, only a few skills to down an enemy and then on to the next one. Would love for mobs to have their health, damage, exp all raised to it's more of a battle and less of a slaughter from mob to mob. As for group content, 4 seems just right whereas 6 just ended up being a spamfest until everything was dead. Rather easy so far.

i have watched groups wipe on that first dungeon boss till the group had to dispearse, i think some of u MIGHT be confusing ur very good understanding of the game and new players a bit. i have not had to many issues, but i learned to max my wep early on, i was told by another player that our dmg on this server is crazy compared to what he played on *forgot server* so that probably has some effect on it. i have already gotten alot better and went back to solo bosses that donkey punched me earlier and i was easily able to do them... it reminds me of vindictus, bosses ppl know are so easy, then u watch a new player and u stand there like WTF dude dodge or what ever... they just dont know. i feel alot of these topics are based around EXACTLY that. while i again cant say i ahve been super challenged i wont say its a walk in the park either, also i dont know what ppl are talking about on combos, as a KFM i get to go through a few whole combos per battle of scrub mobs. i have all the purple gear and its all maxed to max *going higher would bounce past my levels* given im only 22... but still if there is a modification i would say only slightly harder, ur not trying to penalize new players. also i think the game should do a better job teaching combos to u, hell even if there is some VR trainning thing added or what ever so its in an instance and nothing new is really added. i learned one combo, only to havea  gap and then learn from my brother hajoon *spelling* that i was missing A step to it and made the combo 100% awesome, while before i couldnt figure out how to close the gap during the combo. alot of factors to take in here

the soloing aspect not so much .. I am new to this game and playing a KFM .. NOT new to MMOs though (I played mmos before we got graphics to go with them and most if not all the games in the last 20+ years)

maybe my earlier games helped a bit BUT i will be untying my fingers for a few days after this weekend LoL

Edited by Kensho1996

Ky Kiske   

The only reason it feels easy at the beggining is because of the gems they put on the cash shop, sure just start the game put those on your wep and start to 1 shot everything for a while, the overall difficulty is higher than other regions IMO at least it felt thay way to me. Also at end game content for current build the 4 big dungeons there was always people dying everytime so how is that easy?.  I remeber being almost 1 shotted by an assassin mob in the twin things dungeon when I recently hit 45 then died rapidly with the next hit, and that was just an add than a mini boss spawned.

Also BnS has had several changes there used to be 4 and 6 versions of the dungeons, you would get your jewelry from 6 ver. and your would get your wep from 4 man mode, 6 ver like some comments here says feels easy because of the ammount of people and 4 man would be like a hard mode of the instance so to speak. Also keep in mind that there are achievements for _soloing_ some bosses like the Infernal Emperor in cinderlands so increasing the difficulty could make obtaing this kinds of achievements not possible.

And finally always end game content is the most difficult and the rest of the game feels like a walk in the park compared to it, if they manage to get Pohwaran in any of the betas and not nerfed at all, I bet a lot of people not knowing the mechanics and badly geared are going to complain about the difficulty of the dungeon.

Shidori   

I think the mobs are a bit too easy at the 1-40 range and could be tuned up a bit.  I think the main problem is that we are getting the new skills, elements and gear buffs (gems, not having to level feeder weapons up to do a breakthrough), these are set for the new level 50 cap, not the 45 one we are starting with. It is like leveling in current WoW vs original.  It is designed to get you to the now new content faster. Balance is around level 50 instead of 45 we start with. 

Cetra   

The first 30 levels of this game are quite simple and perhaps they could increase the difficulty slightly but tbh leveling is not very much fun in the early stages anyway, I'm personally glad that it's very quick and easy from the start.  Learning combos once you're hitting about 30 makes much more sense rather then practicing 3 hit combos at level 10.

Malvolio   

I managed to hit 45, did some of those last zone instances and some are quite tough. We had a full group of 6 42+ get a lesson on being cocky in the spider queen one. Pulled way too much in the first room only to realize they weren't playing soft anymore. Had to slow it down and I am not ashamed to admit I went through both dragons life totem things on the last boss.

Haschel   

Everyone - KEep in mind you're not going to have a limitless supply of gems from the store to upgrade your gear. Plus gems barely cost anything when upgrading, using items is where it gets cost effective.