coldimor

Bidding system

coldimor   

I will keep this short in saying please remove this system. Its awful.

Replace it with need/greed or something else. This game has been amazing I have enjoyed my time playing it and do not see anything else thats an issue other than the higher costume prices...

Great work guys!

Shiune   

The bidding system is actually the best system ever.

You maybe just didn't realised you're making profit if someone overbid you.

Edited by Shiune

Venion   

I definately prefer the bid system over the standard need/greed system most MMOs have. Everyone wins with the bid system. You may not get the item you wanted/were bidding on, but you come out of it with some coin.

I find that in the typical need/greed system, unless its in an organized group of friends or its something other people can't bid on due to class restrictions, everyone just rolls need on it. (-_-)

This system is by FAR the best loot system I have seen for group play, absolutely loving it personally so don't understand coldimors problems with it.

Could you perhaps elaborate on why you don't like it coldimor?

Taywen   

It was a huge shock to me last night when I ran a dungeon with a group for the first time. I had no idea what was going on and every time I hit the bid button someone just outbid me again. It finally got to the point I just kept hitting pass. Very unusual and confusing system for people not familiar with it. Haven't seen a loot system like this in any other game I've played. I'm sure the system will be better explained to the general public before release, right?

Shiro   

Best system ever you don't have to depend on luck at all just your money and even if you lose, you get money

Nemises   

Need/Greed system or bidding system, every system has it's own benefits. In B&S I prefer the bidding system, because you don't need luck to get certain items in the group when there is another player of your class. As the others just mentioned, when you don't get your item you get the money, that's just fair for the group, especially in random groups.

If you want to have this system changed, please share with us the benefits of the system you're thinking of.

Pixel   

I prefer this system, need/greed people would usually just roll for it even if they didn't need it. If someone wants to do that with the bidding system, everyone benefits with some extra money

Here's my question for it. From what I read in other forums people are able to bid on any drop. In other forums I read the answer is no, but i'll ask it here since it's a bit more up to date. Are classes (more specifically stuff like purple weapons) class locked? 

If the answer is no, then that's the big problem to me with the bidding system. You're going to have someone baiting away on an item they're not even on the class for (Like a blade master rolling on kung fu master loot when kung fu master is there). The whole "people needing and greeding on stuff they don't need" that keeps getting thrown around (which is said people referencing other game experiences), other games I've played seen do class loot for specifics. I get the whole "glamour debate" and that's a different beast on it's own. That's a huge problem for people doing class loot runs if they're going to just get baited the whole time (inb4 integrity debates).

If the answer is yes, disregard the last paragraph.

Edited by SeekerScorpio

coldimor   

This system is by FAR the best loot system I have seen for group play, absolutely loving it personally so don't understand coldimors problems with it.

Could you perhaps elaborate on why you don't like it coldimor?

Maybe I need to give it a second chance.. But at first I was a little annoyed betting 1 coin every few seconds restarting the bid timer eventually I just gave up lol.

Callinon   

Here's my question for it. From what I read in other forums people are able to bid on any drop. In other forums I read the answer is no, but i'll ask it here since it's a bit more up to date. Are classes (more specifically stuff like purple weapons) class locked? 

If the answer is no, then that's the big problem to me with the bidding system. You're going to have someone baiting away on an item they're not even on the class for (Like a blade master rolling on kung fu master loot when kung fu master is there). The whole "people needing and greeding on stuff they don't need" that keeps getting thrown around (which is said people referencing other game experiences), other games I've played seen do class loot for specifics. I get the whole "glamour debate" and that's a different beast on it's own. That's a huge problem for people doing class loot runs if they're going to just get baited the whole time (inb4 integrity debates).

If the answer is yes, disregard the last paragraph.

The answer is no. Anyone can bid on anything regardless of whether their class can use it or not.

I have mixed feelings about this system. I can see the advantage whereby a player who isn't getting gear IS getting money and that's good. But I can also see the other side where the piece of gear you need FINALLY drops and you've got some dbag who doesn't really need it just bidding because they have more money than sense or they just want to troll you.

The system also makes looting take a long time. Instead of a simple need/greed/pass selection and then letting the game take care of it from there, you have to stand there at the next checkpoint bidding coin by coin until someone finally gives up. Since you can't proceed with the dungeon while a loot auction is going on, this grinds the dungeon to an immediate halt while you handle sometimes 4 or 5 of these in succession.

Personally I think I'm more in favor of a need/greed/pass system if for no other reason than it's more fair for a group of total strangers who will probably never meet again. Also, weapons should be class locked. I know you can feed another class' weapons in to grow your hongmoon weapon, but generally they're also needed to break through a cap, so it's kind of a crappy thing to do to someone.

The answer is no. Anyone can bid on anything regardless of whether their class can use it or not.

I have mixed feelings about this system. I can see the advantage whereby a player who isn't getting gear IS getting money and that's good. But I can also see the other side where the piece of gear you need FINALLY drops and you've got some dbag who doesn't really need it just bidding because they have more money than sense or they just want to troll you.

The system also makes looting take a long time. Instead of a simple need/greed/pass selection and then letting the game take care of it from there, you have to stand there at the next checkpoint bidding coin by coin until someone finally gives up. Since you can't proceed with the dungeon while a loot auction is going on, this grinds the dungeon to an immediate halt while you handle sometimes 4 or 5 of these in succession.

Personally I think I'm more in favor of a need/greed/pass system if for no other reason than it's more fair for a group of total strangers who will probably never meet again. Also, weapons should be class locked. I know you can feed another class' weapons in to grow your hongmoon weapon, but generally they're also needed to break through a cap, so it's kind of a crappy thing to do to someone.

I find the need/greed system to be much worse for strangers, as that is when the random luck rolls comes in and people just needing on everything they can.

Also people can bid much more than a coin at a time, and once the amount starts going up the next bid needs greater values to be placed.

As for someone being a douchebag, the moment he pushes the price up to any meaningful amount he starts risking his own money, if he really just intends to get more out of someone else that can backfire fast when he ends up winning the bid with a high amount himself which gives him an item he has no use for and can't sell in most cases (purples not being sellable).

And if it is a really rare item that takes a long time to get, then whoever wants it should be prepared to spend a fortune on it regardless if someone pushes it up or not, and I can't imagine someone wanting to risk losing their own fortune for an item that has no value to them.

My experiance with this bid system compared to other games with need/greed has been an absolute pleasure in comparison, and not to forget people doing runs all day never having their stuff drop, can still earn a decent amount just from other people bidding for their things, making the runs decent despite the lack of drops.

EDIT: as for time it takes, I got to agree they should look into ways of increasing the speed, it really can slow down a lot depending on the group.

Edited by ssolitude

I'm split on the bidding system. I totally forgot that it worked this way (Thought it might only be that way on the Chinese servers)

I'm worried that when more people are let into the game that it will then start to become a problem for people.

It would be nice if the party leader had the option to choose need/greed or the bidding system that's in place now.

Also I would suggest setting the default group looting options to round robin or something similar. As it stands now whenever you enter a group it's a free for all. I feel I spend way too much time worrying about trying to make that extra coin, than enjoying the dungeon i'm in, to get loot it's just a scramble fest unless it's something that's worth bidding on (or if the leader changes the loot type)

Majesty   

I'm with Fudgetruck, there are things I like and things I don't. Mostly I don't like when people don't pass on objects they obviously don't want (so it takes forever), and also the fact that you need to be lightning quick to input a bid rather than just pressing y/bid because it resets every time someone else presses y/bid. I do like that it's more difficult for someone to just decide "I'm going to roll need on this even if I don't need it." because now they have to pay up... And I also like that everyone gets something because everyone did work. It prevents leaving with absolutely nothing.

the OTHER player that wins is LITERALLY paying the group for the item, everyone makes a profit if someone else is being lazy, aka i did one run in black narrows last night, spent 17s to get everything i wanted in that one run. sure the group went home happy.

Tahmoh   

Maybe they could add the option to party settings for auto loot on items of your class to weed out the folks bidding one everything? then it'd only be a bidding war for things like accessories and outfits that anyone can equip and thus would be a bit more useful, for parties with more than one character of a class just give them a mini bidding system or some other way to decide and problem solved.

As for timers they kinda need to sort those out across the board in the game as a ton of timers are way to sensitive or quick to be useful.

Maybe they could add the option to party settings for auto loot on items of your class to weed out the folks bidding one everything? then it'd only be a bidding war for things like accessories and outfits that anyone can equip and thus would be a bit more useful, for parties with more than one character of a class just give them a mini bidding system or some other way to decide and problem solved.

As for timers they kinda need to sort those out across the board in the game as a ton of timers are way to sensitive or quick to be useful.

What is the problem with people bidding on everything? They will just end paying the group more then.

For anyone thinking it is easy to push up items price, just try to do it for a bit and see how well it works, most likely you will either spend time for an insignicant gain or you will actually be at a loss.

Take blackrams narrows, the first place most encounter this I believe, if people bet just a few copper at this point then it is insignificant, while if they bet into the silver values they will many times find themselves simply winning the item, which is useless to them, and best they get from it is a few coppers or a salvage. While if someone pushes you higher than you would like on an item you are trying to get, well sure you might end up paying more silver than you wanted to, but you also end up with an item you wanted.

Trying to earn extra by pushing up prices is an unfavorable tactic in my opinion.

Edited by ssolitude

As I tend to be super rich in most of my mmo, I agree that this bid system is awesome. Essentially I can win no matter what on whatever I want, no price is too high.

And with this system your group will even love you for it, unlike in other games when one person gets the loot

Tearc   

I'm the douchebag that bids on items that I can't even use in any circumstance. Why you might ask? Because I'm driving the price up to give everyone more money, because I can. The problem I have with the bid system is when no one needs the items that drop. You'll always have those 3 nerds that will have a bid war over it when everyone just needs to move on. Give an option to random the item in addition to bidding. Now that I think about it, if everyone passes does it randomly assign it or does it just sit there?

I'm the douchebag that bids on items that I can't even use in any circumstance. Why you might ask? Because I'm driving the price up to give everyone more money, because I can. The problem I have with the bid system is when no one needs the items that drop. You'll always have those 3 nerds that will have a bid war over it when everyone just needs to move on. Give an option to random the item in addition to bidding. Now that I think about it, if everyone passes does it randomly assign it or does it just sit there?

If everyone passes, the system first tries to auction it, and if that fails will sell it for vendor price and split the value among the group.

Considering items sell for less or equal to what it costs to bid for them, it is pointless to bid on something nobody wants.

Nemises   

And I'm the douchebag who needs the item, drive the price up with you, let you bet one last time over me and pass for you to pay. Then you got crap, I got your money and can buy it the next time cheaper when you're out of my group :D

Aden   

There's a better option here, group leader can set a minimum amount for all bids. Just need to set that to a reasonable amount before your dungeon or fight begins.

The bidding system is actually the best system ever.

You maybe just didn't realised you're making profit if you someone overbid you.

I agree 100% ..

Sure you have to bid on it BUT IF you lose out you get the split of the money bid by winner so next time you can bid more ..

THIS is way better than having to spam dungeons to get the item to finally drop and then maybe win it.. and it avoids the people that like to need on items that they don't really need but only want for destrying evolving or selling

Finrodi   

Can only agree with what most people already said. The bidding system is awesome and fair and rewards every party.

Greed/Need works for friends just as good as the bidding system (you can just pass).

However if you are in a random group the bidding system pretty much prevents "ninjalooting" or rolling because you cannot just roll "need" on every item.

Haschel   

The literal only problem with the bidding system is if you have some *cricket* wad that is just loaded with money and can still outbid everyone on everything, just because he can and wants to be a dick lol.

Keep in mind the bidding system doesnt work well when there is no MARKET to make money off of.