coldimor

Bidding system

Sogonzo   

I'm not a huge fan of it personally but my main reasoning is I just don't care to make the whole loot thing that big of an ordeal. Often times if everyone wants the loot your sitting there bidding on each other and it just takes too long, I'd rather of tried my luck with a roll and moved on.

Nhue   

+ Bidding system works great, would like to see it kept. :)

-  System takes too long and breaks the flow of the raid. :(

Maybe just giving us a glimpse of what items were looted but holding all bids till the end would be better?  This is something that would be nice to test.

The bidding system is a good system, it is a good way to earn some money on items that you don't particularly need but someone else does.

And in a way it promotes playing with actual friends instead of randoms, because with friends you can make agreements to greed/need while with randoms you can try to get as much money out of them as possible,

Draczeq   

The bidding system is awesome, but it should have been explained somewhere somehow before first dungeon so people are not afraid to bid.

I always prefer system where smart > lucky.

Kira   

I like the system except for when two people are fighting fighting over bids and wait till the last possible second before they do their bid too, then it takes forever and the whole dungeon ends up taking twice as long.

Personally, I would have preferred some sort of max bid system where the first round when you hit bid, it is simply a check to see if more than one person is interested in bidding.  If more than one person is bidding, the second round you simply enter the max amount you are willing to bid, and whomever entered the highest amount gets the item.  Way faster and you don't have bidding wars taking up all your dungeon time.

Kira   

Or you can speed bidding up by specifying appropriate starting bid.

This does not prevent people with lots of money trolling regardless.

This does not prevent people with lots of money trolling regardless.

Money prevents people with lots of money from trolling.

If someone has a lot of money and decides to give it away by bidding high sums all the time, then easy money for the group and the rich person won't be rich for long.

In the alpha I came across a few groups with a rich person in it and making 3-10 silver from a run in blackram narrows is very appreciated despite getting no drops.

Kira   

Money prevents people with lots of money from trolling.

If someone has a lot of money and decides to give it away by bidding high sums all the time, then easy money for the group and the rich person won't be rich for long.

In the alpha I came across a few groups with a rich person in it and making 3-10 silver from a run in blackram narrows is very appreciated despite getting no drops.

Well the group I was in two players were bidding 1 copper at a time, and they each waited till the last possible second before adding the next copper, it must have been something personal between them or just coordinated trolling but it took forever.  The problem was no one else wanted to bid so we ended up waiting on them the whole time for barely a silver.

I guess I was just very unlucky with grouping.

Iesdise   

The bidding system is actually the best system ever.

You maybe just didn't realised you're making profit if you someone overbid you.

This.

When I got into a BNS dungeon on CN I was a bit confused of how it worked, but after the first item I was really impressed with the system.

That way you don't rely on luck to get something, you actually prove how much you want it.

I will also mention that you can pretty much screw over some people spamming Y like assholes. Just write 1-2 silver in front of the copper (for example) and if they have the money for it, they will spam Y and accept it. Then just let em have it and bid the item the next time it drops with his own money. :)

Well the group I was in two players were bidding 1 copper at a time, and they each waited till the last possible second before adding the next copper, it must have been something personal between them or just coordinated trolling but it took forever.  The problem was no one else wanted to bid so we ended up waiting on them the whole time for barely a silver.

I guess I was just very unlucky with grouping.

If someone is intentionally trying to waste your time, they can do that perfectly fine with any loot system.

Also if rest of you don't need any of the drops you can just pass and continue clearing, while if one of you do need it, just raise the price by 50c or even a silver, if they continue betting at that point they risk losing money for no value.

But as several point out, the system has room for an improvement in how quickly it goes up in bid value, the first bids should not raise by 1c 50 times, but something like 1c into 5c into 10c into 20c into 40-60-80-1s etc would be a nice improvement.

It also would benefit from somehow improving the delay it causes to the run, either by allowing more items to go at once, or by allowing progress in the dungeon without automaticly losing any chance to bid, I am sure other solutions can also be made.

But it remains that the bid system still is on all accounts I have seen, just plain better than the more traditional need/greed systems.

Kilryan   

The bidding system is honestly an amazing way to go about doing things. Though I know us NA bastards will try to bid up for our own self benefit, but the thing is late game it is an AWESOME way to actually have a purpose while running a dungeon. Those who have money, can make more money, but the people who do run are GUARANTEED some form of compensation for their time. This will keep PVE pugging etc actually alive throughout any time because it will actually benefit players regardless of your RNG or not.

I'm the douchebag that bids on items that I can't even use in any circumstance. Why you might ask? Because I'm driving the price up to give everyone more money, because I can. The problem I have with the bid system is when no one needs the items that drop. You'll always have those 3 nerds that will have a bid war over it when everyone just needs to move on. Give an option to random the item in addition to bidding. Now that I think about it, if everyone passes does it randomly assign it or does it just sit there?

it seels to the air pretty much and money goes to everyone, so yes ppl that dont need an item should just be passing you get money regardless if there are ppl bidding or not

Doc   

The literal only problem with the bidding system is if you have some *cupcake*wad that is just loaded with money and can still outbid everyone on everything, just because he can and wants to be a dick lol.

Keep in mind the bidding system doesnt work well when there is no MARKET to make money off of.

Yet everyone else benefits from this *cupcake*'s greed.

Fate   

I really like the bidding system. The only change I'd like to see is if a class specific item drops and it's no trade, that item would only be biddable on by players of that class, and if there are no players, it automatically gives the vendor value to the group. Even the initial low bid increments will likely be a non-issue in time as once people get leveled up they'll be more willing to spend money and bids will jump to silver and gold right away.

While you will get trolls, you at least will always get something for your time. Even if you lose out on getting a super rare drop that you really wanted, you'll at least end up with a nice amount of money rather than nothing like you would in other MMOs. It also adds an interesting dynamic in how you ration your money and prioritize things. Such as do you want to spend a lot to buy upgrade components right away, but if you do, you may not have enough money if a rare outfit drops.

I'm the douchebag that bids on items that I can't even use in any circumstance. Why you might ask? Because I'm driving the price up to give everyone more money, because I can. The problem I have with the bid system is when no one needs the items that drop. You'll always have those 3 nerds that will have a bid war over it when everyone just needs to move on. Give an option to random the item in addition to bidding. Now that I think about it, if everyone passes does it randomly assign it or does it just sit there?

it actually melts it down and gives everyone their value of said object. had it happen once. so blade master sword dropped and no BM... lol was kind of funny

I like the bidding system because when something rare drops, everyone gets a little piece of it.  Adds a bit of the auction house awareness to it as well.  If I know that item "a" sells on the AH for 30 gold then I can safely bid 20 gold and if I win it I will still make something, and so do the people I won it from.

This is EXACTLY why this system MUST not be allowed to continue.

Any casual player will NEVER win any significant loot as they will always be overbid by rich power players.

This is EXACTLY why this system MUST not be allowed to continue.

Any casual player will NEVER win any significant loot as they will always be overbid by rich power players.

If they are always outbid, then they will become rich power players quickly, and the rich won't be as rich.

Malvolio   

I do not believe this is the first game ever to think of such a system I believe other titles abandoned it for the following reasons:

1. It consumes way too much time after every drop.

2. It promotes elitism 40 hour/week players will be able to outbid 4hr/week players and while the casuals will get a "boost" to their net worth it realistically cannot exceed doubling their net worth as they would have to raise the bid to all they have just to get that result, most people will not want to risk everything they have. Twink with 200g can waste 50s-1g on every drop the other 6 players will get a minor boost to their wealth while still not being able to win anything. Especially on some of those rare cosmetic drops there will be realistically no way for a casual to reliably get them. The only positive side is when 2 money bags fight over said drop and you get your cut of their extravogent spending however this is a rare situation

3. MMORPG is a genre that already has plenty of drama even with even odds RNG based systems this will be 100x worse creating a negative gaming environment. I have already seen it in last weekends alpha (lvl 45 BM) and on TW servers.

4. And most people forget this: Its not fun. The people advocating for this are without a doubt the all in no lifers that want to buy their way to everything they want. Any reasonable person would agree to an equal random number generated roll for items (that your class can use) 

The original BNS team did not pave out a new method they aren't pioneers they made a toxic system to sell gold. People buy cash shop items, premium time, etc.. and sell it on the market so they can buy all the nice things in the loot tables. its not a mystical alignment of planets to why all other MMOs use roughly the same loot system its because its the most logical and fair system out there.

You might be saying "Yea Mal they should change it" Well lets be honest if anyone here has played on TW or another client you know that no major changes were made to this game. Nor did I expect them to but I think we overestimate what a "localization" team can actually program or what they are actually staffed for. This is a pre-made game that they so far havent even  been able to remove the post 45 quest from (you get an uncompleteable quest at the end of the story and it tells you to go somewhere that you cant)  I highly doubt they can engineer a new loot system, make sweeping balance changes, or anything other than minor adjustments and tweaking text files and numbers. As much as I would like to see the eastern mmo a little more westernized I highly doubt it will happen.

SDBurton   

I personally find the system to be amazing. Even if you don't come out winning the item you'll get a good deal of coin instead. A lot better than the old school need/greed which relied on luck and faith in others for not rolling on an item they didn't need.

Jem   

I find this system fine, tbh. Let them bid all they want, as long as I'm getting paid in the end, it's fine. Because eventually,t hey'll run out of money to bid on other stuff in the dungeon, having other people bid.

Draczeq   

1. It only takes time if you don't bother setting minimal bid

2. Or you can go to dungeon with friends / guildies / people who play as much as you (ie. make your own party)

3. Drama is made by players (people), refer to point 2 (avoid playing with drama queens and don't take the game too seriously yourself)

4. For me its way more fun then stupid random (as ultimately unlucky person) I prefer making informed and smart decisions then be at a mercy of something I can't affect (to reiterate SMART > LUCKY )

So I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on all points made and for the sake of future argument I'm a casual player.

Lotus   

I see both pros and cons to the system. However, the biggest issue I have with this is how it interacts with premium membership. Those who have the premium membership have an overall higher amount of gold through reduced fees and increased income from combat/quests. Although here is nothing in the game that causes pay2win in PvP, this system gives premium memberships an advantage over free players. Although the free play would eventually have enough money to win drop bids, the premium player who puts in the same amount of effort will have a better chance at receiving the item due to an overall icnreased cash flow.

Become a premium user by actually supporting Blade & Soul West: problem solved.

I see both pros and cons to the system. However, the biggest issue I have with this is how it interacts with premium membership. Those who have the premium membership have an overall higher amount of gold through reduced fees and increased income from combat/quests. Although here is nothing in the game that causes pay2win in PvP, this system gives premium memberships an advantage over free players. Although the free play would eventually have enough money to win drop bids, the premium player who puts in the same amount of effort will have a better chance at receiving the item due to an overall icnreased cash flow.

Edited by Erza Scarlet