Yamyatos

We need a serious talk about costume prices

Irreal   

I think the prices are too high, at this price point I m really considering if it worth to get more ncoin to get more costumes instead of just using the ncoins I get from the founders pack. For me a lower price would highen the chance that I will buy additional ncoins (because I love buying costumes for my chars and switching between them depending on the game environment and circumstances).

Serati   

I too think 20$ are way too much, especially if the are character bound. Even 15$ is a bit much in that case imo. I`d really like my shop bought costumes to be account bound.

Familiar   

Prices are fine to me. Pretty much all of the costumes can be gotten in game, and costumes themselves are just vanity items anyway. Unless you're trying to buy every single costume item in the shop, paying for one every once in a while doesn't seem like a big spend.

jkr1293   

Prices are fine to me. Pretty much all of the costumes can be gotten in game, and costumes themselves are just vanity items anyway. Unless you're trying to buy every single costume item in the shop, paying for one every once in a while doesn't seem like a big spend.

I don't mean to sound rude, but a costume here and there doesn't pay the price to keep servers running or to pay staff for this game. The people who really pay the bulk of it are going to be members and people who do buy a lot of costumes so costume prices should really be judged by the ones who are going to buying the bulk of them. If they lose the big costume buyers, which are the ones saying character bound costumes are to much, they are going to lose a huge chunk of income. Discounting the costumes for members should be taken into consideration because we are already paying a handful for so its not like they aren't making their money

Familiar   

I don't mean to sound rude, but a costume here and there doesn't pay the price to keep servers running or to pay staff for this game. The people who really pay the bulk of it are going to be members and people who do buy a lot of costumes so costume prices should really be judged by the ones who are going to buying the bulk of them. If they lose the big costume buyers, which are the ones saying character bound costumes are to much, they are going to lose a huge chunk of income. Discounting the costumes for members should be taken into consideration because we are already paying a handful for so its not like they aren't making their money

I'm used to these prices and have played games that cost much more as well. I completely disagree that costume prices should be judged by the ones buying them because that makes little sense from a business standpoint. I'm fairly certain they know their market and took that into consideration when setting prices. To me, the prices seem fair, and completely in line with what I am accustomed to seeing in cash shops. Also, remember that costumes will not be the only thing they're making money off of in the shop. Consumables are a HUGE market and they're not a 1-time off deal like costumes.

Completely agree about discounting costumes for premium members.

jkr1293   

I'm used to these prices and have played games that cost much more as well. I completely disagree that costume prices should be judged by the ones buying them because that makes little sense from a business standpoint. I'm fairly certain they know their market and took that into consideration when setting prices. To me, the prices seem fair, and completely in line with what I am accustomed to seeing in cash shops. Also, remember that costumes will not be the only thing they're making money off of in the shop. Consumables are a HUGE market and they're not a 1-time off deal like costumes.

The only problem with ignoring the consumer is if they have paid a lot of money in other games they are less likely to go to another game when they see the prices are the same for less. Last time I played Tera I spent a few extra dollars and got an account bound costume bc of membership discounts. Here I'm paying X amount for membership and X amount for costumes for 3 characters which is absolutely crazy. Especially when the money from these costumes has been made through the other servers. For seasonal costumes I can see 20 dollars because they would be limited edition ones but 20 dollars for a normal everyday costume I think is just unrealistic. Even like the person from Canada said that totals to 26 dollars right there for a normal costume and there may be some willing to spend that but more often than not they won't. It's a lot easier to sell 3 of the same costume to someone for 10-15 dollars each than 20 a piece. You are right about consumables but you only need so many of them Edited by jkr1293

Henri   

they're pretty normal priced

some of them i'd even consider cheap.

is this your first mmo? lol

the price they're charging the "permanent" outfits is indeed a dream for the frequent mmo player LOL....ok not a dream but "it makes sense" as i've seen games charge this much for costume sets that last 3 months then you have to buy it again... JUST as long as they don't put exclusive permanent costumes in random draw boxes or whatever and i'm happy. and let's be honest. we're not going to buy out the shops outfits. you're not going to buy them that often either, especially if they're permanent...and if you are purchasing a lot of outfits then....i can only give you sympathy for your wallet :(

I disagree with you on this..

he wasnt talking about 1 or 2 people buying costumes here and there.. you gotta think of the whole picture.. 10's of thousand of players buying costumes here and there is a ton of damn money.. more then to pay the server cost and there employee's and on top of that you have to take in account all the other items that are being bought.. Example Inventory expansion bags.. hottest Item in the cash shop Hands down!!

1. If the ones buying a lot of costumes still buy some costumes when it is more expensive then it isn't a loss. e.g. if they go from buying 30 at 5$ to 10 at 15$ it is the same, while from those that only buy a few they really want regardless of 5 or 15$, they now get 3 times as much from.

2. There are many who will buy tons of costumes regardless of the price being 15$ or 5$ and if you reduce the price you lose A LOT of profit from these players because they buy the same stuff but pay several times less.

And I repeat this general rule for everyone, the only RELEVANT factor to what the price of costumes "should be" is what they will make the most money from. If they make the most from 5$ then that should be the price, if they make the most from 50$ then that, if something inbetween then that instead.

jkr1293   

1. If the ones buying a lot of costumes still buy some costumes when it is more expensive then it isn't a loss. e.g. if they go from buying 30 at 5$ to 10 at 15$ it is the same, while from those that only buy a few they really want regardless of 5 or 15$, they now get 3 times as much from.

2. There are many who will buy tons of costumes regardless of the price being 15$ or 5$ and if you reduce the price you lose A LOT of profit from these players because they buy the same stuff but pay several times less.

And I repeat this general rule for everyone, the only RELEVANT factor to what the price of costumes "should be" is what they will make the most money from. If they make the most from 5$ then that should be the price, if they make the most from 50$ then that, if something inbetween then that instead.

Prices aren't final as they already said. All we are doing is giving them feedback on what we think as a whole. Like I said in the beginning they need a form of transfer between characters so my money isn't getting thrown away if I decide to make a new character Edited by jkr1293

Anvh   

the prodcution cost for making 1 copy of an outfit is the same as for 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 or more in the digital world.

If outfit cost $15 and they sell 1,000 or they make it $10 and sell 1,500 the profit is the same then. They can also make it $5 like some suggest if they sell 3,000 of those then all is still the same.

So the price for the outfit does not prevent it from being pay to win.

Edited by Anvh

Anvh   

The prices aren't final.

True and that is why we have this thread to give feedback about the outfit prices since this alpha/beta right?

Anvh   

Well if they don't make the wardrobe free they might lose a percentage of those players already.

Looks to me they are aiming to have the servers run on sub fees only.

jkr1293   

Well if they don't make the wardrobe free they might lose a percentage of those players already.

Looks to me they are aiming to have the servers run on sub fees only.

My biggest problem is they are charging a stupid amount for stuff atm. I feel as though they think that we are oblivious to what is going on with other versions of this game. Like charging 20 dollars for a costume that is recycled is just crap. It's not new. Not exclusive. Nothing just a 20 dollar recycled costume but because a decent amount of people haven't seen them they can justify the price bc other developers charge more. The reason they charge more is because people pay them. No consumer = no money. Lower prices or lose a solid income. Also as someone corrected me on earlier this isn't even their cash cow. The consumables are which means they are trying to bank on those and costumes which is just ignorant and shallow. Especially after they made a ton of people wait the time they did. This is how they are treating their true dedicated fans which is heartbreaking

Anvh   

The consumables are which means they are trying to bank on those and costumes which is just ignorant and shallow. Especially after they made a ton of people wait the time they did. This is how they are treating their true dedicated fans which is heartbreaking

Yep and they go ahead and change the story as well *sighs*

https://forums.bladeandsoul.com/forums/index.php?/topic/139206-what-did-you-do-to-the-story-spoilers/

The more i see the less i want to play, if only i had a good ping to Japan :(

At this point maybe playbns, the pirated russian bns might be better.

Fenrui   

Coming back, I actually went through all the costumes... the aveage price is like 800-1000 ncoin for a costume... that's 8 to 10 dollars, pretty decently priced. I don't know what you're talking about with these 20 usd costumes considering the most expensive is 1600, 16 usd.

Accessories are around 400 ncoin, 4 bucks. That's cheaper than other games at 6-7 bucks. People are comparing this to TERA. Over there some accessories are 495 emp, others 695 and some up to 995. Costumes there range from 450 emp to 3000 emp.... that's a 25 usd costume there. At least that's how it was several months back (I got 9 toons to 65 there so don't say I didn't play much, only one used a scroll because I got it free from a friend).

Prices, compared to other games, are perfectly done. As I stated before they could make a separate purchasable same costume (at a significantly higher price, my example was 2.5x) to be account bound. And if we compare to other games there are largely successful models doing exactly what BnS is doing... except they have a second option to buy for an account at a higher price. And the prices for one toon are cheaper here than there...

Look, I'm single (no kids) with no bills and make 80k a yr so I have a LOT of disposable income but even I am raising an eyebrow at these prices. Unless they make the pieces dyeable or at least available account-wide, it's not worth it for the average joe out there. They should START low (about half of what they charge now given the current state) and then slowly raise the prices over time for newer stuff not b*tch slap buyers out the gate.  :ph34r:

Anvh   

Coming back, I actually went through all the costumes... the aveage price is like 800-1000 ncoin for a costume... that's 8 to 10 dollars, pretty decently priced. I don't know what you're talking about with these 20 usd costumes considering the most expensive is 1600, 16 usd.

Accessories are around 400 ncoin, 4 bucks.

http://www.lineage2.com/en/marketplace/buy-ncoin/

Step-2-asset.jpg

Edited by Anvh

Fenrui   

weird for some reason I had it in my mind that 500 = 5 usd, my bads then i stand corrected. But still, even at 10 for a character bound and giving an option for 25 for account bound as well would be a smart move by them.

jkr1293   

Accessories are around 400 ncoin, 4 bucks. That's cheaper than other games at 6-7 bucks. People are comparing this to TERA. Over there some accessories are 495 emp, others 695 and some up to 995. Costumes there range from 450 emp to 3000 emp.... that's a 25 usd costume there. At least that's how it was several months back (I got 9 toons to 65 there so don't say I didn't play much, only one used a scroll because I got it free from a friend).

Prices, compared to other games, are perfectly done. As I stated before they could make a separate purchasable same costume (at a significantly higher price, my example was 2.5x) to be account bound. And if we compare to other games there are largely successful models doing exactly what BnS is doing... except they have a second option to buy for an account at a higher price. And the prices for one toon are cheaper here than there...

2 things. 1: 80 ncoin is a dollar, for future reference 2: those are the cat costumes that are 10-12.50 XD. There are a couple that are 1200 but most are 1600. They should be lowered by 5 if they aren't going to account bind

Tanimo   

the prices are fine :V just a few weeks back i spent 130buck on an rng box on (input) and tried to get myself a pair of kitty ears you think i got it? nope so a perm item for these prices are a god sent, you all just 2 butthurt. as i said before dont want to pay? dont. go the free2play way and buy it

also more people buy if its cheaper? sure. then what? you got the costume but u will never buy it again as u already have it sonny

so selling more copys cheaper doesent mean more profit because its permanent

and double price for a costume to be account wide? i get behind that anyday

take meh money!   also.... Lyn is Master Race.

Fenrui   

2 things. 1: 80 ncoin is a dollar, for future reference 2: those are the cat costumes that are 10-12.50 XD. There are a couple that are 1200 but most are 1600. They should be lowered by 5 if they aren't going to account bind

1. I already posted my mistake, why do people feel the need to continually tell others they're wrong?

2. The spring breeze costume wasn't 1600, iirc as that was the first costume I bought. I bought 3 costumes for my toons and a head accesory. I started with 7200 ncoin, droped to around 4200 iirc and I bought consumables as well (keys and such) which brought me down to around 3700 overall... can't remember the costume prices but I'm pretty sure the ones I bought for my CHARACTERS weren't 1600 each. iirc there was only one or two costumes at the 1600 ncoin price point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEZMyQnJ8Tg

Watch the video in a high enough quality so you can see the prices. Most of them are 800/1000. A few are 1200 and only a couple are 1600. Therefore... the argument that prices should be 5-10 dollars doesn't exist because they're already priced at that for CHARACTERS. Many games have 'legendary' costumes and such that cost more for a reason... because they are more shiny, or luxurious or what have you. The expensive ones are supposed to be 'better' ones and the cheap ones are for the cheap people like me.

Awesome Tanimo, glad we share an opinion on this. :) Though I don't mind even paying triple for account wide considernig even 3x is better than 7x. And like Tanimo says, most of the costumes can be bought for gold on the market place from other playes or you can buy them from vendors in game for the respective tokens.

EDIT: referring to the video, when I say 'most of them' I am referring to CHARACTER only costumes. I'm not looking at the accessories/cat costumes, which are also fairly priced imo. In fact compared to other games these particular things are cheaper....

Edited by Fenrui

Tahmoh   

800-1000 should be the standard with some lower priced and a few complete package costumes(ie those which come with outfit plus accessory) for 1600 max folks wont mind paying 1600 if you make them bundle deals instead of just part of a complete costume as was the case this alpha with the peacock outfit(dont remember its name just how dumb it looked lol).

Daithi   

this thread is a joke first they need to make money from somewhere since they are making the game totally F2P and without P2W, second there are other games like WoW or LoL where they sell cosmetics with no impact in the game only visuals with high prices and people still get them, third and last if you dont like the prices there are a lot of outfits you can get for free in the game nobody in telling you to buy the ones in the cash shop.

Keira   

If the costumes were on their own, I think the prices would be okay, but coupled with premium membership I think something like $6-$10 for normal and $15 for specials would be a much better thing. $10+ for normal costumes is going to make a lot of people have to decide between membership and costume instead of just getting both.

I have to agree with this. In games like these I tend to buy the premium to have the stuff it gives me, etc. If costumes cost as much as they cost and they are even character bound I will need to decide and instead of me buying the membership and the costumes, and maybe some other stuff they will have only the money from the membership from me that in the long run will give them less money from me.