Yamyatos

We need a serious talk about costume prices

What would be your opinion of costume prices if NCsoft said, "Okay so every year we are going to have a contest for 10 new costumes submitted by players.  You have to design it and you have to develop it and submit it to us, the 10 winners will enjoy splitting XX% of all the cash shop proceeds with us while it is listed."  Would $10-15 be too much then?  

I also played Tera for some time and enjoy the game quite a bit.  I have spent more than I can think of on costumes and cash shop items for both of my accounts across I think 9-10 characters, yes I have duplicates.  While not everyone is going to want to do this to get these items, those people can go farm the mobs that drop them.  I would imagine that the outfits will have a very low drop rate in game, but will be obtainable for free if you want to spend the time.  If you don't want to spend the time, and you don't want to spend the money, then maybe you don't really need the outfit.  Unless I missed something the outfits are cosmetic only and have no impact on game play aside from the faction based ones.

Too often gaming communities get down on the companies producing games for charging more than we want to pay for things, and we all assume that every gaming company is making bank because of how Blizzard is portrayed.  The fact is we are in a massive lull in mmo releases because gaming companies have found them not to be profitable anymore do to the high demand for free content or extremely cheap content.  Not saying NCsoft isn't turning a profit, but they need to turn enough of a profit that they can justify to investors buying into more games like Wildstar so they can also have games out like Aion when it was released and Tera after about a year of fixing issues.  

For the record NCsoft if you do decide to do a competition like I mentioned at the top you might be surprised at how well it goes, look at your poster competition, and then look at games like EQLMtG and the people putting thousands of hours into development just to influence the artistic nature of a game they are looking forward to releasing.  Given the tools, a healthy gaming community can come up with some really crazy stuff.  

Good day guys.

I'm sorry but the costumes are way too high priced and you can compare with other similar free to play games such as T***.  It's okay to pay 10 to 15$ for a special costume if it's for the whole account and can be claimed by all of your 7 chars.  If each purchase is for a single char only, then 5$ is right and I would have to spend 35$ for all my 7 chars to get the same item.  Plus if you also offer a subscription of 15$ per month plus item shop, it means players could spend like 50$ to 100$ per month for a free to play game lol.  Yes you could play the game and not spend a dime, but a lot of people like me like to enjoy everything a game has to offer, and we should not be robbed blind for wanting to do so.  Make prices reasonable and you'll get my money no problem.  Make me feel like you are cheating me and I'll buy 1 maybe 2 costumes and you'll loose 60$ or more.

I know I'm repeating what was already said but I want NCSOFT to make sure they get the opinion of the big spenders.

Cheers!

Good day guys.

I'm sorry but the costumes are way too high priced and you can compare with other similar free to play games such as T***.  It's okay to pay 10 to 15$ for a special costume if it's for the whole account and can be claimed by all of your 7 chars.  If each purchase is for a single char only, then 5$ is right and I would have to spend 35$ for all my 7 chars to get the same item.  Plus if you also offer a subscription of 15$ per month plus item shop, it means players could spend like 50$ to 100$ per month for a free to play game lol.  Yes you could play the game and not spend a dime, but a lot of people like me like to enjoy everything a game has to offer, and we should not be robbed blind for wanting to do so.  Make prices reasonable and you'll get my money no problem.  Make me feel like you are cheating me and I'll buy 1 maybe 2 costumes and you'll loose 60$ or more.

I know I'm repeating what was already said but I want NCSOFT to make sure they get the opinion of the big spenders.

Cheers!

As a big spender, if the costumes cost 10, 20, or went up to 30 I would still buy them just the same.

And Tera quickly cost hundreds of dollars with the RNG boxes, far more expensive.

Reducing overall prices means getting less from everyone fine with paying the current price, or even a higher price. So there has to be enough new people buying costumes if it was reduced to make up for that.

Ash   

i think the prices are fair.

We can get many cool costumes ingame without spending money.

And we dont have to pay monthly to play so you can save up some money to purchase the costumes you like.

=)

dskilly   

I actually don't mind the price nor that it's account bound since in my experience with mmo's like that they just become plain and bland since everyone has it and you can make all your characters have it too.

I would really love it if all the costumes are transferable to other characters so that you can keep costumes if you don't want the character anymore or something happens, if it's already doable then forget I mentioned this sentence XD am already a happy cat.

Edited by dskilly

A fair price for a high quality costume would be something in the realm of $6.00 - $12.00 US. Costumes that are only available in a gamble box are against humanity and everything it stands for. Such practices are corrupt and exploitative. Stick to the high road NCWest. You don't have to be "that guy" to have a successful product...

Takara   

Dont worry RNG boxes don't exist in BnS. Doubt they'll make it just for NA release... at I hope not.

Pyuki   

Dont worry RNG boxes don't exist in BnS. Doubt they'll make it just for NA release... at I hope not.

There were two RNG boxes in the Alpha shop: "Hongmoon Clan Upgrade Support Chest" (could iclude things like consumables, blue keys or also one costume) and "Gemstone Fortune Chest".

I bought one Hongmoon Chest to test if it included all mentioned items, but it was an RNG box. The costume you had a chance to get was the black leather outfit (can't remember the name).

I hope they were just there for the alpha and won't make it to release :(

Kanmuru   

I think the price on them is quite normal. I prefer an honest and straightforward price over RNG boxes (If you've played AA you know that it's BS) Sure you're spending what seems like a lot of money on a costume, but the costume is the biggest part of your appearance, not to mention they don't expire. If you compare the 10-20$ pricing to what you would pay for RNG boxes or if the costumes were temporary, it definitely is not a bad decision.

Tanimo   

prices seems fine if you ask me (dont even want to mention how much i spent on those horrible RNG boxes.....) and i wouldnt mind buying outfits for all chars the real issue is the loss if the character is deleted which i do not like so the transfer system or wardrobe with full account access could really be handy or higher price for an outfit that can be account transfered like the master pack outfits, because face it a lot of people wont really be unlocking the full account so a lot of people might end up having to delete a char to make a new class heck i can even see this issue with all slots unlocked

(master pack yay! \o/)

Xenovia   

you  know the store items prices  are not final  and  chances  are  alot  if  not all them will change in price  if not  by a tiny  bit

prices seems fine if you ask me (dont even want to mention how much i spent on those horrible RNG boxes.....) and i wouldnt mind buying outfits for all chars the real issue is the loss if the character is deleted which i do not like so the transfer system or wardrobe with full account access could really be handy or higher price for an outfit that can be account transfered like the master pack outfits, because face it a lot of people wont really be unlocking the full account so a lot of people might end up having to delete a char to make a new class heck i can even see this issue with all slots unlocked

(master pack yay! \o/)

I suffered this already during the last weekend (happily the coins were free anyway) as I decided to delete a character I had made and decided to rename AFTER I had purchased outfit from the shop..

I would accept even the idea of costume items locking to the account and not to characters on purchase so that you can at least transfer it

the before mentioned character also had my master pack bonus items and I moved them over to a different character via mail but couldn't move the outfit...

also I THINK the mail CAN be a bit expensive at lower levels really IF you are going to use it as the ONLY way to transfer items from one character to another on an account

Even in GW2 a costume is between 700 - 1000 gems. 800 gems = 10€. And the costume is bound to account and available in each characters wardobe. So 15- 20€ for a single costume and a single character is quite expensive. Even 10€ is expensive when I have 7 characters I want to dress up... it means 70€ just for 1 cosmetic...

And the other question is: what if I spend money on costumes and delete that character after a while, cause I don't like the class anymore or whatever? Character deleted- costumes and money gone? Well in other MMO's I know, what I have unlocked once could be claimed again and again from the shop, even if I create the 20th character for the 30th time...

Edited by Weissdorn

Even in GW2 a costume is between 700 - 1000 gems. 800 gems = 10€. And the costume is bound to account and available in each characters wardobe. So 15- 20€ for a single costume and a single character is quite expensive. Even 10€ is expensive when I have 7 characters I want to dress up... it means 70€ just for 1 cosmetic...

And the other question is: what if I spend money on costumes and delete that character after a while, cause I don't like the class anymore or whatever? Character deleted- costumes and money gone? Well in other MMO's I know, what I have unlocked once could be claimed again and again from the shop, even if I create the 20th character for the 30th time...

I will mention that though i agree with you in many ways I know many of the games I have played with a FtP/microtrans pay schedual were more expensive as many had costumes on a rent option not puschase (I know i sure wouldn't want to by someone elses stinky old gi :) )

the cast doesn't phase ME THAT much as much as the idea of it locking to your character since you then can't move it in the event you decide to delete said character later on :blink:

I think the prices are fine just where they are, but I agree that there should be some way to transfer them to another character on your account just in case you decide to delete your character. Several of the costumes in the shop are just alternate versions of costumes that drop in the game. Purchasing cash costumes is an opportunity for a person to give thanks to NCsoft and the developers for what they have given us (the game we have been waiting years for). Also, if I purchase a costume from the cash shop I want my character to have a unique or at least uncommon appearance. If the prices are dropped on the costumes they will lose their value to the players that are willing to spend cash to have a special appearance.

Here's a real world analogy: A girl can buy a purse from just about anywhere... so why would she choose to buy a Coach purse rather than a purse from Target? Well, she wants a special appearance that not everyone else has. A purse is a purse... but for some people, having a Coach purse is VERY worth it.

This is one reason why I was more than happy purchasing the master pack. I am ensuring that my character will be special and unique permanently.

Another thought... Consider this: If the prices are reduced, then everyone will just purchase the costumes they want from the cash shop and the demand for dungeon costumes will decrease due to players being satisfied with their flashy cash shop costumes. This will negatively affect the economy of the game and a person's ability to earn gold from auctions in dungeons. This has been a reliable way for players to earn money in the game and I would rather it stay that way.

I hope NCsoft keeps the prices where they are but adds the ability to transfer to another character on the same account.

The question is: when will People buy in your shop? when its cheap or when its expensive? NC has to make money with the game since it is a f2p concep so you need to offer goods in a ingame store and in such games like mmo's the best way for money in stores are costumes, cosmetics, pets, mounts...when its not p2w. And how about the customers in a mmo? Not everyone in here has a big budget each month. So i'm pretty sure f.e. if there is an option lets say pay 10$ for 1 costume for 1 char or 20$ for the same costume for the whole account, I bet the most player would decide 'Heh I take the bit more expensive decision, but in the end I receive a lot for my money'

Now imagine the same offer lets say 10 or 15$ for just 1 costume and nothing else... you have to buy each costume separat for each char at full cost? At that rate we're talking about 70- 105$ for the same amount costumes for all 7 chars you can have. I'm sure a lot of players won't spend the money on any fluff at all, but since you can farm the same costumes ingame... well why should I spend a lot of money for stuff anyway, if I can get it ingame for 0?

And that way NC doesn't make any good money at all.

And one thing more to think about... we are talking about 0's and 1's... nothing in a computer game has a physical body. So when you buy a costume for a character in a Videogame you pay for a few bits and bytes and when the time comes and the servers shut down, your bits and bytes that you have payed for are gone. No matter if that pleases you or not.

how is high prices on costume p2w? honestly there costume's quit throwing out p2w on anything and everything that you guys dont like or disagree.. 

@Sittletits

erm... prices on costumes sure don't have anything to do with p2w.... even if you have to pay 2000$ for single costume... this is still no p2w... the discussion is about what's an adequate price on costumes for those players who like to dress up their chars...

Edited by Weissdorn

@Weissdorn, I was refering to the bottom of his post.. I understand what the whole convo is about I do, I just dont see the problem.. some people using the argument of comparing to moba's or other mmo's..

I dont ever remember LoL selling skins for 5 dollars unless they were on sale, other then that the skins are 10-15 bucks and legendarys were 30 bucks but the 30 dollars ones came with new animations and/or something special...

I honestly think its on the price... 

@Skittletits

Check out Prices then f.e. in DCUO 5€ for a costume set or Aura (even if there arn't existing much in the store) and automaticly free for the whole account when you bought them or TSW 10€ for a whole set or uniform and for a round- about 25%+ you can also unlock those for the whole account. The same is in TSW for pets btw... those can also be unlocked for the whole account by a 25% extra...

@Weissdorn I understand where you are coming from, but I could use that Tera uses account bound costumes and pets as well, just like BnS and Tera's market is all about costumes.. and I believe if i remember correctly they are priced about the same, I could log on right now and find out if you would like and take you some screen shots.. but I am tired of using other games as examples..

Every game is different and I believe that the costumes are price reasonable, maybe the 20 dollar ones come down to 15 and the lower end 10 but I really dont mind what they are now..

I think its less taking other games as examples... its more to compare products from diffrent producers... and even products of the same producer if you compare the price politics in GW2 with those in BnS... and both games are produced by NCSoft....

Everyone compares products in reallife every day... so why not ask the same in a Videogame 'heh why do I pay in your game 'A' 10$ for stuff while the same stuff costs me in your game 'B' 20$? Why do I have the stuff in your game 'A' unlocked on my account by paying it 1x, while in your game 'B' I have to buy all separate?'

Its ok for me if someone isn't interested in prices, cause he little cares for the offers in a shop... but other people are interested in and then it should be allowed to discuss about 'Why should I pay more then I pay elswhere or even by diffrent products of the same Producer?'

The easiest would be the Mods here would start a poll 'How about the costume prices in BnS?  To high, to low or ok... but I think I alraedy know the final result :D

Edited by Weissdorn

So i am taking your post as this..

I am not interested in your game B but really am in your game A but why would i pay 2x as much for a costume in game A then I would in game B.. which to me is ridiculous..

You are right everyone compares everything with something regardless of what it is and it carries over to online games your right, but maybe that is what the problem is with the world.. or even yourself(not saying anything bad about you please understand this) people go the extend to even compare them selfs to others and then think life sucks b/c they have it worest or whatever the case maybe..

what works in 1 game doesnt mean it will work in the game your currently playing..

if I made it seem like i have no interest in the cash shop then I am sorry, but from my perspective I dont see anything wrong with the cash shop and I will be buying things in there that interest me whether it cost me 10 or 20 dollars.. if I like it then I will buy it..

to me people want more for the bang of there buck and that is totally understandable but you have to look at it from there end. they have to pay for the servers they have to pay for there employee's and its not cheap.. your argument now is going to be well cheaper is more.. could be.. you just dont know yet..

but using the above example of game A and game B is kinda of reaching dont you think.. you wouldnt be on game A if game B was interesting to you to keep playing, if that makes sense.

Anvh   

I think its less taking other games as examples... its more to compare products from diffrent producers... and even products of the same producer if you compare the price politics in GW2 with those in BnS... and both games are produced by NCSoft....

GW2 was published by NCsoft but it is produced by Arena-net and since 2 months it's not part of NCsoft anymore.